Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hkc text dialler and gsm-m unit

Options
  • 21-04-2010 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

is it much hassle to connect a gsm unit to a hkc 8/12 panel that already has a text dialler in the panel,my cousin is looking to get rid of the phone as he doesnt use it but would like to keep the ability to use the text dialler when the alarm goes off to notify him,so it looks like the gsm unit is the only option,had a look on the website there,is it just a cable run from the text dialler to the external gsm unit?as the mobile no.s are already set up to text when the alarm goes off there shouldnt be anything to change there should there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

glic83 wrote: »
    is it much hassle to connect a gsm unit to a hkc 8/12 panel that already has a text dialler in the panel,my cousin is looking to get rid of the phone as he doesnt use it but would like to keep the ability to use the text dialler when the alarm goes off to notify him,so it looks like the gsm unit is the only option,had a look on the website there,is it just a cable run from the text dialler to the external gsm unit?as the mobile no.s are already set up to text when the alarm goes off there shouldnt be anything to change there should there?

Hi glic83,

What he has is a text modem connected to his alarm, this will not work without a phone line but with the HKC GSM installed he will have the same features e.g. the alarm will still text him when it activates plus he will also have remote access to his alarm.

It is very easy to install, just make sure he down powers the alarm before he connects it to the alarm, he will also need engineer access to the alarm to program it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

As already mentioned it is easy enough to install.
    All it needs is a 6 core cable form the panel to the GSM unit.
    Also the panel may need to have it's firmware upgraded depending on how old the panel is

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

in relation to the gsm units, how important is it what type of sim card is used, ie ready to go or bill and is there a differance between the providers ie o2, vodafone ect.
    what i mean is if you use a ready to go sim how often will you have to take it out and top it up and do the service providers have a time limit on how long say 20 euros worth of credit lasts.
    i fitted a lot of these gsm units as stand alone units and as back ups but allways with sim cards provided by the monitoring company which were allways bill type, does anyone have any preferences on who they use?
    also do you guys use the spare cores on the phone cable for your tamper or run a 4 core alarm cable for that.
    sorry if this is a bit of a hijack but it might be relevant to the op

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

altor wrote: »
    Hi glic83,

What he has is a text modem connected to his alarm, this will not work without a phone line but with the HKC GSM installed he will have the same features e.g. the alarm will still text him when it activates plus he will also have remote access to his alarm.

It is very easy to install, just make sure he down powers the alarm before he connects it to the alarm, he will also need engineer access to the alarm to program it.

what will need to be programed the gsm unit? as the text dialler is already set up as he is using it with hes phone line as present, is there any pictures around of the connections of the gsm unit to the text dialler?

also when using the external gsm unit is there a need for mains power?o r is it a case the gsm unit gets its power via the 6 core cable coming from the alarm panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Just remove the pstn text digi, leave eng mode and the panel will remove it from the programming.
    Then connect the gsm using the 6 core

• Advertisement

what will need to be programed the gsm unit? as the text dialler is already set up as he is using it with hes phone line as present, is there any pictures around of the connections of the gsm unit to the text dialler?

also when using the external gsm unit is there a need for mains power?o r is it a case the gsm unit gets its power via the 6 core cable coming from the alarm panel?

The GSM will need to be programed for the numbers it will contact if the alarm goes off. You will get a diagram with the unit, you wont believe how easy it is to install once you have engineer access to the alarm.

With regard to the power for the unit, there are two types you can get. One has a metal housing that is mains powered plus has a back up battery in the event the power is off. The other one is in a poly case, this gets its power directly off the alarm 12v power.

If you have any problems installing we are all here to help.

in relation to the gsm units, how important is it what type of sim card is used, ie ready to go or bill and is there a differance between the providers ie o2, vodafone ect.
    what i mean is if you use a ready to go sim how often will you have to take it out and top it up and do the service providers have a time limit on how long say 20 euros worth of credit lasts.
    i fitted a lot of these gsm units as stand alone units and as back ups but allways with sim cards provided by the monitoring company which were allways bill type, does anyone have any preferences on who they use?
    also do you guys use the spare cores on the phone cable for your tamper or run a 4 core alarm cable for that.
    sorry if this is a bit of a hijack but it might be relevant to the op

A ready to go sim will do the op. If he registers the sim on line he will be able to check the credit plus top it up on line without having to remove it from the GSM unit. With most of the providers he can top it up in units of €5 and keep a check on the amount on line. If the op activates the sim by means of arming, disarming ect the alarm once every 6 months this will keep the sim active.

With regard using the GSM for alarm monitoring back up it is always best to use a bill pay sim. As the sim in this unit may never be activated unless the line is cut.

With the HKC POLY GSM you need 2 for tamper, two for the 12v power and either fit a digi ribbon lead or a 4 core cable on the lead ends they provide that connect up to the panel and GSM.

There is no harm using the phone cable for the tamper but realistically it should be done in alarm cable.

altor wrote: »
    The GSM will need to be programed for the numbers it will contact if the alarm goes off. You will get a diagram with the unit, you wont believe how easy it is to install once you have engineer access to the alarm.

With regard to the power for the unit, there are two types you can get. One has a metal housing that is mains powered plus has a back up battery in the event the power is off. The other one is in a poly case, this gets its power directly off the alarm 12v power.

If you have any problems installing we are all here to help.

right got the gsm-m unit today its the 1 in the metal housing there is also 2 cards 1 that fits onto the dialler and 1 onto the panel,so ill just run a 6 core between them no need for mains power as he wont be using the power supply part just the gsm unit part so ill just take the 12v from the alarm panel,so the text dialler is no longer reguired and the panel will just send the text via these cards linked to the panel and gsm unit,is that correct?or will the text digi thats currently sitting in the panel still be required?

right got the gsm-m unit today its the 1 in the metal housing there is also 2 cards 1 that fits onto the dialler and 1 onto the panel,so ill just run a 6 core between them no need for mains power as he wont be using the power supply part just the gsm unit part so ill just take the 12v from the alarm panel,so the text dialler is no longer reguired and the panel will just send the text via these cards linked to the panel and gsm unit,is that correct?or will the text digi thats currently sitting in the panel still be required?

The poly housing GSM would of being a better buy if your not using the mains to power the unit.

When the alarm is powered down remove the original text card that is in the alarm as you wont be using it anymore.

Safety first, there is live mains in the panel so make sure you turn off the mains first.

Power down the panel plus disconnect the battery in the panel. You will need a 8 core cable going from the alarm to the unit. Take the 12v from the panel on a pair of alarm cable cores. Another two to tamper the unit to a zone on the panel. With the two cards there should be ABCD wire both these up the same and connect to one to the panel and one to the GSM. Install sim card. The unit itself will be picked up by the alarm when you turn the power back on. You will need to program the text numbers the alarm will text in the dialer menu of the alarm.

Any problems let us know..

cheers for all the help lads, now how do you arm and dis-arm the alarm via text?

• Advertisement

cheers for all the help lads, now how do you arm and dis-arm the alarm via text?

Hi glic83,

1111 arm will arm the panel
    1111 arm a will part arm a
    1111 disarm will disarm the alarm
    1111 glog will send the last 7 log events of the gsm to the phone.

There is more but these are the most commonly used ones. Did you not get a list in the GSM ?

Replace 1111 with the user code you have for the alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 stoneyxox

hi everyone. was hoping someone can help me, i installed a gsmp to my hkc 8/12. everything is working ok but it wont text me when alarm goes off. i have yes marked for report alarm in the menu. also when i try to send a test message to my phone it comes up that gsm is busy. it wont allow me to text to it either so i presume the sim is not turned on or something. any help would be greatly appreiated............................ thanks

stoneyxox wrote: »
    hi everyone. was hoping someone can help me, i installed a gsmp to my hkc 8/12. everything is working ok but it wont text me when alarm goes off. i have yes marked for report alarm in the menu. also when i try to send a test message to my phone it comes up that gsm is busy. it wont allow me to text to it either so i presume the sim is not turned on or something. any help would be greatly appreiated............................ thanks

Did you turn off the sim code ?
    Also where have you put in the phone numbers ?

also has the gsm reception to send a text?is the sim itself working ok?

hi altor and glic,
    thanks for quick reply.its a new ready to go sim and not sure if it has pincode. how do i turn it off altor in case it is. i ut phone numbers in dialler menu along with site name and all that.i have it set to yes in report alarm. the reception is fine glic i have bout 60% signal. rang the guy in hkc today and he reckons it out of credit. just topped it up there now so will try again later. the guy in shop told me sim came with 5 euro credit but guy in hkc tells me it comes only with 50 cent credit. it did text bout 3 times when i powered up first.
    now when i have yous here, the output for the gates, is it a pulse signal it gives out. i have intercom for gate close to panel. could i switch the open button on intercom through relay. what relays are recomended (dc or ac and 12v).is the panel capable of switching on three relays and can the heating output be used for second light?
    i have underfloor heating so it on all the time anyway............

That explains why it would not work :D

12v dc. Yes you can, that is how it works. The output does not know what is connected so will switch on whatever you connect via a relay to it. Just make sure you default the GSM for home automation.

i know fell stupid now, it working fine now. is the gate output pulsed or is it constant. if so how long is the pulse. is there special rated relays used or will the panel be able take the load of 3 relays on together at one time?what is output 4 for? sorry bout all the questions but im interested in how they operate.
    they are expensive little unit so might as well get most of it...... thanks again altor

We will say no more about it then :D

The way it works is you text the output to either turn on or off, this in turn either turns on or off the relay. The 12v relay you need is rated to what ever you need to connect to it e.g lights heating.

The pulse time can be set to what you want it to be. This will keep the gates open for that time.

thats perfect altor thanks. i will be sorting it out over next few weeks so ill let you know how i get on.... thanks again for your help.

thats perfect altor thanks. i will be sorting it out over next few weeks so ill let you know how i get on.... thanks again for your help.

Your welcome stoneyxox, always happy to help :D

• Advertisement

hi altor sorry to bother u again............ tried to get lights and gates working. in status the two outputs are on but im not getting 12v from output?????????????????????? any ideas?

hi altor sorry to bother u again............ tried to get lights and gates working. in status the two outputs are on but im not getting 12v from output?????????????????????? any ideas?

Hi stoneyxox, always happy to help if I can :D

What you need to do is change the output from negative to positive if you want the 12v from the GSM to relay.

It is still wired the same way positive to + and negative to the output.

If you put a meter across the positive and the output you can also check the outputs before connecting the relay. With a positive trigger you will over 12v HI and it will drop when switched to LO.

hi altor, thanks for that info. have gates and lights coming on by text. was just wondering whAT is output 4 for?

sorry again altor but was wondering if i text for the heat to come on, can i say turn it on for an hour and get it to turn off in an hour without having to text it back. i presume i do this in the o/p timers menu but how do i do it?thanks again altor i,d be lost without your good advice........

hi altor, thanks for that info. have gates and lights coming on by text. was just wondering whAT is output 4 for?

You can set up output 4 for anything other that what you have 1-3 set up for, I would set 4 for AUX. Code AUX ON, code AUX OFF.
    sorry again altor but was wondering if i text for the heat to come on, can i say turn it on for an hour and get it to turn off in an hour without having to text it back. i presume i do this in the o/p timers menu but how do i do it?thanks again altor i,d be lost without your good advice........

The max time it would be on for is 99 seconds. You can set up an output timer to turn on at certain time if that would suit.

Here is a link to the HKC GSM user manual.

could i set the heat output to pulse a countdown timer that would drop out the heating after an hour. i know it would say on text that the heating is on but wouldnt mind that.???? i've wired lights before that way, the timer just need a signal to start the timer and switch the load.

could i set the heat output to pulse a countdown timer that would drop out the heating after an hour. i know it would say on text that the heating is on but wouldnt mind that.???? i've wired lights before that way, the timer just need a signal to start the timer and switch the load.

If you are going to do it that way then you should just wire in a timer switch, turn on the output by text then after the hour the timer would switch off. The output would still be on but the timer switch would be off and so would the heating. The only problem is if you want it to turn the heat on again it will have to wait till the timer comes on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 D166433D

Hi, I have a HKC alarm that was installed by Phonewatch, they came back a few years later and installed the GMS module (metal case with battery backup). I don't have the manual for the GSM module, but want to change the alert numbers, does anyone have the process or better still a manual?

D166433D wrote: »
    Hi, I have a HKC alarm that was installed by Phonewatch, they came back a few years later and installed the GMS module (metal case with battery backup). I don't have the manual for the GSM module, but want to change the alert numbers, does anyone have the process or better still a manual?

Unfortunately it wont work.
    This is a power supply with a new world GSM installed that can only be used to contact a monitoring station.

If you added a voice dialer then you could use it to be triggered off the alarm and then use the GSM with your own sim to make the call to your mobile.

• Advertisement
Advertisement