Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

thinking of buying a second hand prius

• 21-04-2010 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi thinking of buying a second hand prius. currently i am driving 175 km a day and i need something more economical. Can anyone advise if they are a decent buy ? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

in short.. no they are a nasty nasty car...

better off in a good diesel.... much better off......

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ozziej

Have to disagree there. The wife has one and loves it. 2005 uk import. Does great mpg and is surprisingly nippy. It also has a surprising amount of space for storage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Nothing nasty about the Prius. Well built, reliable, easy to drive and great about town. They hold their value very well though.

Ozziej wrote: »
    Have to disagree there. The wife has one and loves it. 2005 uk import. Does great mpg and is surprisingly nippy. It also has a surprising amount of space for storage.

glad she likes it

personally i hate them...

MPG at 40-50 mpg ... not spectacular....

nippy 0-60 is 10.4secs..... not really nippy...

they do have a nice storage space,
    I find the steering to be a bit wolly....
    long term comfort drive isnt great IMO...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Should do 65mpg+ no problem. Also consider a Civic IMA (I have one). Bit simpler in design than the Prius but does similar economy on a run and comes with leather etc as standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Buy a Prius if you like autobox and toys. good fuel economy is possible but you have to do a mixture of driving and not rag it to get the quoted figures.

I like the Prius, fuel economy isn't the main reason to buy one, Luxury pack models have a brilliant 6 CD JBL touch screen sound system, cruise control and front fogs, take that as the entry point. If you can get one with the leather, reversing camera, self parking etc. go for it.
    The Autobox is super smooth and they can make surprisingly swift progress especially from low speeds.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The Autobox is super smooth .
    It's a CVT, right? Does it simulate a conventional auto?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

you do know the new bmw m3 is more economical right? god i love top gear..

JHMEG wrote: »
    It's a CVT, right? Does it simulate a conventional auto?

No, it's much smoother than the one in the current Civic hybrid, there are no perceptable (is that even a word) gear changes. some might find the revs staying constant and speed increasing or the revs going up and speed staying the same annoying but it doesn't bother me.

bmw535d makes a valid point, if you want to get around a test track as fast as a Prius can go then an unstressed M3 will be more economical. very important to know.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    No, it's much smoother than the one in the current Civic hybrid, there are no perceptable (is that even a word) gear changes.
    There are no gear changes in the Civic (or Jazz - same gearbox). It changes ratio quickly to make you think there are gears. The simulation can be turned off in the Jazz, not sure about the Civic, I never looked.

• Advertisement

bmw535d wrote: »
    you do know the new bmw m3 is more economical right? god i love top gear..

under the right circumstances it is .......
    much as dislike the Prius, i would say real worl it a lot more economoical than an M3

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tubsy78

If you have the cash and really want a Prius go for it however replacement parts will be expensive, 2nd hand parts or scrap Prius' are almost non existent.If you want to go diesel you can't beat Peugeot's HDI diesel engines,Volkswagen/Audi/Skoda/Seat aren't bad either and the most important thing reliability and resale values are good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If she's doing 175km's a day it's safe to say she's not doing much of it in a city. I'd be thinking diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

Diesal is what I would be looking for.

Prius is quiet especially if your reversing out the drive with kids about. Don't like that at all.
    I'm sure it's an ok car....I've never driven one or liked the look of them.

JHMEG wrote: »
    There are no gear changes in the Civic (or Jazz - same gearbox). It changes ratio quickly to make you think there are gears. The simulation can be turned off in the Jazz, not sure about the Civic, I never looked.
    No the Civic has a sort of stepped gears. you couldn't turn it off on the 2 that
    I was driving.
    mondeo wrote: »
    Prius is quiet especially if your reversing out the drive with kids about. Don't like that at all.
    The engine will be constantly running for the first few minutes when you turn the car on to get up to temp.

Advertisement