Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Salthill or Not To Salthill?

Options
  • 21-04-2010 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi, I'm currenty living in town but me and the other half are thinking about moving out to Salthill next month. Only problem is we both work over the other side of town, Ballybrit area.

I know the traffic is probably bad going from Ballybrit out Salthill in the evening. But anyone know how bad it is? I don't want to be an hour driving home every evening...:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ms. Ka

Hi, I'm currenty living in town but me and the other half are thinking about moving out to Salthill next month. Only problem is we both work over the other side of town, Ballybrit area.

I know the traffic is probably bad going from Ballybrit out Salthill in the evening. But anyone know how bad it is? I don't want to be an hour driving home every evening...:confused:

It depends on what time you are passing through the city, but the traffic can be really bad. I am travelling over to Rahoon and can take an hour sometimes to get home (I am coming from Athenry but thats only a few mins. on the motorway).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I used to work in Ballybrit and live in the city centre, it would take me almost an hour sometimes just to get home by car. Mind this was before the new lights at Huntsman but I think you should definitely live on the same side of town where you work, or get a motorbike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Come down to Moneenageisha, then out Lough Atailia Road, through the docks and out that way and you won't meet much traffic.

Seriously never that bad, even at that time. You wouldn't think it but it's fine.

I reckon you could do it in 25/30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

No offence Lad but are ye Crazy. Try Roscam or doughuisce, good bus service to town also

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Am not sure the traffic is as bad as people are saying. I think the benefits of living in Salthill far outweigh having to put up with some traffic to get to/from work and it's not always that bad. Personally I would go over the bridge though and avoid going through Renmore/Lough Atalia/Bohermore. In my experience it's better to take the outer roads (2 lanes as much as possible) and back in over bridge and then turn left, St. Mary's road etc.

I should add that I don't travel this route in rush hour apart from coming back some days and you generally make it in 25/30 mins at worst.

It's a nice time of year to be moving to Salthill too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I live in Knocknacarra and commute to Ballybrit. I start at 7.30 and finish at 4. It takes 15 minutes in the morning and about 25 in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I live in salthill and work in ballybane/remore. Takes 15 mins tops in the morning, leaving at 8.50 gets me there at 9.05. Probably leaving at 8:30 might take longer. Evenings are slower, but rarely more than half an hour and I'm lucky that I'm flexible with time and like my job so often stay late. Six o'clock is when you'd hit the worst of traffic but at five it hasn't really started. Takes 20 mins on a bike. Yes, sone people will say you are crazy for driving cross town everyday but i find it's quick and to me it's worth it. It's really down to your tolerance levels though. I have a much shorter commute here in Galway than I ever had before so I find it easy and to me, living where I want to live is well worth the extra ten minutes a day. Sit back, listen to the radio or learn Japanese knowing you'll be close to the pubs and beach when you're home!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

You could always do a test drive or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

I work as a home delivery driver and Ballybrit to Salthill should not take more than 30 mins and once they get the 2 lanes back on the Docks it will speed up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

you should consider the wonderful amenity you would have on your doorstep in salthill.
    Ballzbrit is area bz comparison is a bit dreary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

kraggy wrote: »
    Come down to Moneenageisha, then out Lough Atailia Road, through the docks and out that way and you won't meet much traffic.

Seriously never that bad, even at that time. You wouldn't think it but it's fine.

I reckon you could do it in 25/30 mins.

Never say never!

Moneenageisha is a lot better/more predictable since the Huntsman lights went in.

Dock Rd is often quick/clear. But when it's not (often for apparently random reasons!) is can be an absolute crawl. I'd guess this to be say once a fortnight.

East is East,
    And West is West,
    Living near work
    Is always Best!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

There's alot less traffic on the roads since the recesion kicked in. I don't think the times nowadays are indicative of what they were two or three years ago, if you are only renting though it shouldn't be a problem. Just bear in mind if this country ever gets it's ass in gear again the times could change

Rents are higher out salthill area though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Once you get past the wolfe tone bridge its grand all the way to salthill.

The problem is the pedestrian lights on the docks,spanish arch
    and people turning right off the wolfe tone into ravens terrace.
    Imo they should ban right turns of that bridge in the evenings, it would help alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭legatti

Personally Salthill (as in salthill proper) rents are too high for what it is, its not only traffic you have to contend with, even at the weekend its packed with tourist and daytrippers.
    theres plenty of other places on the westside that are just as nice,
    and 30% cheaper in rent.
    whoever mentioned doughiska in comparison to salthill needs to go specsavers!!! or do wastelands with rabid horses compare to the prom and the beach??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Just a note - the Seamus Quirke/Bishop O'Donnell road could be a disaster for a few months starting in June as it is being upgraded/widened so that it will have bus lanes. Hopefully there will be decent traffic management in place but you just wouldn't know...

Will be a pain while the upgrade work is being carried out but when it's done there should be a slight improvement on current traffic jams which are partly caused by ineffecient traffic lights. The traffic lights will hopefully be replaced with new intellegent lights during the upgrade and hopefully there will be better turning lanes also.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

To Salthill. I would say if you are used to living in town and you are considering a move to Salthill indicates you like Salthill / Town. The fact that water / coastline (&town for that matter) is close to your HOME in evenings / weekends would tip the scales for me, even if it took half an hour to get there from work.

Ballybrit would make you miserable I think if you work there in addition to living there. The sun going up over the bay vs the motorway...simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Beetle Juice

Thanks guys. I'm thinking Salthill now. Certainly don't wanna be stuck in Ballybrit (no offense to anyone :o) bad enough I've to work out there. If it's going to take 30 -40 mins it'll be worth it I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭RubyBlu

Just imagine, you could walk the prom morning or evening. There is no contest. And when you get stuck in a bit of traffic, it's not that far home after you get out of it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

I live on the Prom and work in Ballinasloe - so that's a fair old eaat/west commute! Even so I would not move to the east side of the city.

If it helps, when I come off the N6 I turn left and head home via the docks as I find this quicker. But it all depends what part of Ballbrit you work in - if its the town end then I guess you should take the Quincen.

Your commute will totally depend on your start and finish time, but I'm about an hour door to door so find it hard to believe anyone takes an hour just to traverse the city.

KevR wrote: »
    Just a note - the Seamus Quirke/Bishop O'Donnell road could be a disaster for a few months starting in June as it is being upgraded/widened so that it will have bus lanes. Hopefully there will be decent traffic management in place but you just wouldn't know...

Will be a pain while the upgrade work is being carried out but when it's done there should be a slight improvement on current traffic jams which are partly caused by ineffecient traffic lights. The traffic lights will hopefully be replaced with new intellegent lights during the upgrade and hopefully there will be better turning lanes also.

You should become a priest with your faith KevR.

Firstly, they won't have decent traffic management in place. It's impossible, it's already crap, soon it will be twice as crap

Secondly, Hello, Moneenageisha intelligent traffic lights that had to be reconfigured weeks later.

This is a sarcastic post by the way but my points are genuine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

You should become a priest with your faith KevR.

Firstly, they won't have decent traffic management in place. It's impossible, it's already crap, soon it will be twice as crap

Secondly, Hello, Moneenageisha intelligent traffic lights that had to be reconfigured weeks later.

This is a sarcastic post by the way but my points are genuine

Couldnt agree more with you.
    Just Mary also says in a post that it is more predictable at Moneenageisha, also agree in that it is predictably awful at rush hour. I used to use Lough Atalia on way home from town but since lights went in I have had to give up and find alternative way home. Intelligent lights :eek:

It will be possible to have decent traffic management (i.e. - keeping one lane open in each direction all the times). It will take careful planning and effort though. If they are lazy about planning the traffic management and if they don't care about bringing West Galway to a standstill, they will have stop and go systems (i.e. - one lane open for both directions).
    Moneenageisha are not intelligent traffic lights. They are on a fixed timing sequence always. Intelligent lights can detect traffic and change accordingly. It's almost impossible to get it right from the first day with lights that are on a fixed timing sequence; they will have to be tweaked over time. I still think Moneen is a lot better at peak times with the lights than it was with the roundabout.

There are actually quite a few sets of traffic lights in Galway which have either inductive loops or microwave sensors to detect traffic; therefore making them intelligent traffic lights. Unfortunately, some of them don't work as they should because the roads were dug up, the loops in the ground got cut and weren't repaired; now the lights are on a fixed timing sequence. There are actually loops and microwave sensors at Moneen but they're not in use which is weird.

Moneenageisha was installing lights at a junction for the very first time. Bishop O'Donnell/Seamus Quirke Road already has fixed sequence lights; at worst they will be replaced by another set of fixed sequence lights so traffic will be the same. However, I can't see them replacing them with more fixed sequence lights; they will have to go the intelligent traffic light route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I live in Salthill and work in Liosban Ind Est on the tuam Road. 10 minute cycle in the moring, 10 minute cycle back in the evening.

I wouldn't live on the east side of the city for love nor money and to be honest i've always been baffled by why people would choose to live there just cos it's near where they work.

There's no comparrison in quality of life between the two sides. The prom, the proximity to pubs and good restaurants, and general nice atmosphere compared with industrial estates, roundabouts and electricity pylons... well worth the bit of commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

McTigs wrote: »
    I live in Salthill and work in Liosban Ind Est on the tuam Road. 10 minute cycle in the moring, 10 minute cycle back in the evening.

I wouldn't live on the east side of the city for love nor money and to be honest i've always been baffled by why people would choose to live there just cos it's near where they work.

There's no comparrison in quality of life between the two sides. The prom, the proximity to pubs and good restaurants, and general nice atmosphere compared with industrial estates, roundabouts and electricity pylons... well worth the bit of commute.

Maybe you have hit nail on head - cost of housing in Salthill is beyond reach of most of us mortals (talking about buying not renting). But agree with you if renting and had choice then its a no brainer Salthill every time.

Oh and KevR I have been commuting along Lough Atalia for about 4 years and it is far worse at rush hour on average now than it used to be (and there is less traffic in general on the road than there was say 3 years ago)

Webbs wrote: »
    Oh and KevR I have been commuting along Lough Atalia for about 4 years and it is far worse at rush hour on average now than it used to be (and there is less traffic in general on the road than there was say 3 years ago)

Can't say I have found it to be worse. I used to avoid Moneen like the plague at peak times when the roundabout was there because the delays were so bad. I don't make a special point of going through Moneen now but I certainly don't avoid it.

If traffic on any day is worse than it used to be when the roundabout was there, that's largely down to bad drivers rather than the traffic lights. It's a fact that traffic lights can handle traffic more effeciently than roundabouts at peak times.

A post I made in another thread a while back:
    Was queuing for the Moneenageisha junction earlier today coming from Cemetary Cross (traffic was busy but not crazy).

Lights went green, car at the front in the left lane didn't move for roughly 5 seconds and the car in the right lane didn't move off until 8 seconds had passed. When they did eventually move off, they moved slow as fuck. The lights were green for long enough to clear the whole queue from the Cemetary Cross side but only half of the queue was cleared because of the idiots at the front. If the same thing happens a few green sequences in a row you can imagine how quickly a huge backlog could build up at any set of lights.

Plain and simple, you would fail your driving test. It's not acceptable driving and blaming the traffic lights won't ever improve the situation.

Moneenageisha was installing lights at a junction for the very first time. Bishop O'Donnell/Seamus Quirke Road already has fixed sequence lights; at worst they will be replaced by another set of fixed sequence lights so traffic will be the same. However, I can't see them replacing them with more fixed sequence lights; they will have to go the intelligent traffic light route.

There was traffic lights at moneenageisha before the roundabout.

The traffic coming out Lough Atalia is brutal in the evening, but I usually vome out college road now. You seem to have a better chance at getting through the traffic lights down near the huntsman than coming out Lough Atalia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭thedragon

Dont worry about any of the issues mentioned, move to Salthill its heaven especially in Summer.

Advertisement