Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Typical Weight For Alaskan Malamute Puppy?

Options
  • 21-04-2010 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭

Hey people,

My Mal is now 6 months next week and hes 26kg . A friend of mine has a mal also ( seperate breeder ) and "she" is the same age , same weight but slightly taller .
    Im slighty worried that hes overweight. Is it just that its a Big breed dog or that hes actually overweight and i should bring him to the vet to get further advice?
    OR.....Is it just me worrying over nothing?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Males would always be slightly heavier than females so i wouldnt worry too much.
    Does he look fat or does he look like like hes carrying extra weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I took this picture just over a week ago. GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=51bd3f7c-4d89-11df-8c13-001e0bcb3590&Aux=14%7C0%7C8CCAFAD3B61DE70%7C%7C

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

My Mal is 6 mths to and is even heavier than that. He is not fat just a monster of a pup. It sounds about the right weight. You have any photos of the pup? Can't see that one

Cant see anything? Maybe try again?

This should work now.

• Advertisement

Its hard to tell from the pic as hes lying down but he doesnt look too bad.

Have you a pic of him standing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭mollymascara

If you run your hands along his sides when he is standing, if you can feel his ribs as you do so then hes not overweight. A vet nurse can give the dog a weight check and some advice for free as far as im aware

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our guy is 9 months now and I've found at different stages he's looked fat but then he grows that bit more and looks fine or even skinny and I adjust his food. He's a golden retriever and he was just under 32kgs a couple of weeks ago which the vet says is fine. If your worried though take him along to the vets and the nurse will weigh him for you and give you advise - it's free in our vets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

Best to check with a vet, Our akita was 40KG at a year old and the vet said this was perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

Nice looking pup. looks very like my fella. Are you in wexford, they could be fro the same litter. He looks fine, but hard to get a good look with him laying down

• Advertisement

Cheers, Ah no im from Dublin . Got him in Walkinstown ( South Dublin )
    Im just gonna bring him to get weighed just to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭wopper10

Hi I also have a mal aswell a bitch now 15/16 months he looks absolutely fine. Its not the worst if he a little over weight. As he grows he will fill all that out and be a bigger stockier mal which is how they should be. And as stated before if you can feel his ribs along the side than he's fine but you certainly don't want to see his ribs.But dont worry bout his weight too much as a pup they fluctuate all the time cause of the growth spurts. :)

Advertisement