Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless help!! Cable modem->ADSL wireless router

Options
  • 21-04-2010 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭

HI guys,

Right lets get down to business, I have cable internet service that comes with a modem. There is only one output on the cable modem using ethernet cable.

I have a netgear DG834GT Wireless ADSL modem router with 4 port 10/100 Mbps switch feature.

Is it possible to use ethernet cable coming out of the cable modem to connect to the router on one of those switch port and use the router as a wireless host essentially. There is an input at the back of the netgear router but obviously being ADSL, it is only good for phone line connection (RJ11). Is it even possible to buy a cable with one end having ethernet connection and the other RJ11?

If so how do I go about setting this up?? It's driving me crazy at the moment. please help

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If its an NTL cable modem, its prob got a local IP of 192.168.100.1
    Try giving your pc a static IP address in that range, with that address as gateway.
    You may need to set static DNS as well

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭c-note

in short i dont know
    but if its possible i suspect you may need a crossover cable?

on the other hand wireless routers are pretty inexpensive. (i got one on the internet for ~40eur) probably not a whole lot more than having to buy a couple of crossovers...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭lau1247

As it is a 4 port router switch, i don't really see why it is not possible to use the ethernet port on the netgear wireless router to communicate between itself and cable modem. Then transmit between the laptop and itself would be handle wirelesly. then again if I know I wouldn't be in this sticky situation

@ Bonzodog2: It's not NTL, just a local service provider. When you say give static IP to the PC, do you mean set the router to essentially listen to one IP? Because as it stands I'm trying to get the signal coming into the cable modem and then out to the wireless router and then transmit wirelessly to laptop

@ cnote2: I just had the router recently so will try to do all that I can to not spend anymore if I can avoid it.

connect by cable to the modem, and get the default gateway, with automatic ip assignment. use "ipconfig /all" at a command prompt, without the quotes

now plug in the adsl router to the modem

normal ethernet cables are fine

connection properties->ip settings->static address & set ip mask & dns servers

also visit router setup page and set ip address to something in the same range as modem, e.g. modem=192.168.100.1 router=192.168.100.2, laptop=192.168.100.3 subnet=255.255.255.0

when you connect to modem by cable you should be able to find the dns servers

post your results of
    ipconfig /all

thanks bonzodog2, i'll try that tomorrow morning before work.. my house mate is in the middle of something for his college work, didn't feel right to cut it off when he need it..

i'll post the result from ipconfig tomorrow when i try.. thanks again

• Advertisement

Bonzodog2, tried what you said by plugging in the laptop to the modem, then get ipconfig/all (See screen shot 1) Linky

Next unplug the cable from the laptop while leave the cable modem as it is.. connect it to the netgear router.

Apply static ip, ip subnet, dns to router obtained from cable modem.

Still nothing, I have screen capture the router set up page and the router status page. hope this will provide some clue

Your 'linky' screenshot of ipconfig /all results shows an IP address of 169.254.122.154 - this is not a real address, kind of just a placemarker that windows shows you when trying to get an address assigned by DHCP server.

Connect to modem, make sure you can access www pages,then check ipconfig,get modem address

I have one of those routers,mine is a rebadged SKY ADSL BB box from UK, but tis a DG834GT inside

You can edit/copy/paste from the command line !

Who is your ISP ?

I'd connect my DG834GT to my modem, but my 'housemate' who plays online poker 24/7 would throw a hissy fit. I have used the DG834GT before to rebroadcast a wifi signal

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Your 'linky' screenshot of ipconfig /all results shows an IP address of 169.254.122.154 - this is not a real address, kind of just a placemarker that windows shows you when trying to get an address assigned by DHCP server.

Connect to modem, make sure you can access www pages,then check ipconfig,get modem address

I have one of those routers,mine is a rebadged SKY ADSL BB box from UK, but tis a DG834GT inside

You can edit/copy/paste from the command line !

Who is your ISP ?

My ISP is Crossan (in Longford)

Ok, I think I got the actual IPconfig/all - Linky

So I've set the router's with the following setting:
    Static IP: 92.61.196.102
    Subnet mask: 255.255.254.0
    Default gateway: 92.61.196.1
    DNS servers Primary: 92.61.192.14
    DNS servers Secondary: 92.61.192.15

What's next?

ok somehow it won't let me connect to the router (wired or wireless - it just shows up as limited connectivity), so I did a hard reset on the router and start again. Using the info I had from initial work. I keyed in the same info, save and log out.

Somehow it is now working partially, by that I mean it only work on my laptop and not on my housemate's laptop or my iphone. Both devices can see the router, I'm not sure about the iphone but on his laptop it indicated 'limited connectivity'. Also similar to before I was unable to gain access the wireless router setup page even though I'm connected through the router (i.e. 192.168.0.1).

From what I can gather, it seems to have assigned me the local IP of the cable modem as if I'm connecting directly to the modem (bypassing the router however I'm not too sure how to verify). See screen shot of IP when connected.

Anyone any suggestion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,245 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

going to delete my reply as will probably throw you off

• Registered Users Posts: 30,245 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

You need to get a working internet connection through the cable modem on a pc

then do ipconfig and see what the network settings are

then setup the router on the same network

ie if cable modem gives you ipaddress

ip:172.16.0.4
    sn:255.255.0.0
    gw:172.16.0.255

setup the router with
    ip:172.16.0.100
    sn:255.255.0.0
    gw:172.16.0.255

OK, this may work or not .....I was up too early this morning and can't think straight right now, I'll try & have a think tomorrow

Do you know the make and model of the modem ?

You can get an unofficial (but highly regarded) firmware for the DG834GT here

The poker player was out, so I tried my original addressing idea. Sadly it didn't work, but I don't know why.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    OK, this may work or not .....I was up too early this morning and can't think straight right now, I'll try & have a think tomorrow

Do you know the make and model of the modem ?

The cable modem is Webstar EPC 2100 and the manufacturer is Scientific Atlanta

Advertisement