Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moulting cat

Options
  • 21-04-2010 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

i would be really grateful for some advice please.i have a 4yr old neutered tom cat who is constantly shedding hair.even after combing him it keeps happening.he is a huge cat who is a little overweight,but is very active when the humour takes him!any ideas on how to manage this?he isnt a longhaired breed,but he does have a very thick coat.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If he has a thick coat but not long hair, you might get some results if you use a Furminator. It looks like a nit comb for grooming cats. It takes a lot of the loose undercoat out when you groom. The first time you use it you'll be literally astounded by the amount of hair that comes off the cat. It also seems to have a soothing combing action that feels good, because I've recommended it to a few of my cat-owning friends whose cats dislike curry combs or bristle brushes, and they've loved the furminator.

The original is quite expensive, but as with everything there are plenty of copies on the market.

10312.jpg

You can also try to feed a food designed to improve the condition of the skin and coat, that can sometimes work to reduce shedding. Visit your local pet megastore and have a look in the cat supplements aisle - there are omega 3 and 6 food supplements for cats that again can improve the condition of the skin and reduce shedding.

That, and buy a couple of sticky lint rollers to keep you and your furniture hair-free, and look at giving him a cat bed or cat tree near where everyone congregates, so he'll use that and stop shedding on your couch. :)

Advertisement