Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Mussels

Options
  • 21-04-2010 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone knows where wild mussels or other tasty crustaceans can be found around the coast? preferably cork area but anywhere is good.

Thanks a mill...

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Any part of the coast here in west cork,but they can be toxic at certain times of the year, you need to ask if the local mussel farming industry are allowed to harvest. The dept of marine test shellfish samples regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Thanks mp22,

Could you be more specific, I have looked around a few inlets on Bantry bay, Dunmanus bay and once or twice in Roaring Water bay with little sucess. Any little treasure area? This info is only for my pot once or twice a year so no fear of me clearing out the area, you can pm me if you dont want to put it in the public forum.

Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/Environment/Water/FileDownLoad,19541,en.pdf
    The area here should hold some mussels it is west of gearies pier (the turn opposite the west lodge hotel)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Ask some of your local fishermen especially seeing as they're dangerous if taken from anywhere near a sewage outfall. The ones caught on the east coast have to be detoxed for months in clean waters like wexford harbour and strangford lough and even then only the french dare to eat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

they grow fairly everywhere along the shoreline. Try ringabella bay or between weavers point and churchbay. Both should have fairly clean water. Ive eaten plenty of wild mussles and not suffered as much as a sore stomach. Dont ignore limpets either. Theyre a bit tough but tasty out. Anemomies too. And they can be eaten raw. You wouldnt think it but they're pretty good.
    If im having a bbq or a dinner party ill often collect and steam a bit pot of wild mussles with garlic and schalots. Damn tasty

• Advertisement
Advertisement