Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Premium Beer!

• 21-04-2010 10:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

I couldn't believe this when I saw it....One of me mates is working in Tesco and last Sunday, before hittin the pub, we were at a mates house for a few beers first and he was drinking "Tesco Premium Beer". I asked him whats it like and he gave me a can (They're not the large 500ml cans but are bigger than 330ml cans). Anyway, it didnt taste half as bad as i thought it was so i asked how much was it. €3 he said. I was like WTF €3for a can of beer.
    But he actually got a whole slab (24cans)for €3........:D

Fair enuf, he used his Tesco discount, but that would make it €5/6 for a slab.

Now its ok, but id say after a few you'd be pure mouldie.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I couldn't believe this when I saw it....One of me mates is working in Tesco and last Sunday, before hittin the pub, we were at a mates house for a few beers first and he was drinking "Tesco Premium Beer". I asked him whats it like and he gave me a can (They're not the large 500ml cans but are bigger than 330ml cans). Anyway, it didnt taste half as bad as i thought it was so i asked how much was it. €3 he said. I was like WTF €3for a can of beer.
    But he actually got a whole slab (24cans)for €3........:D

Fair enuf, he used his Tesco discount, but that would make it €5/6 for a slab.

Now its ok, but id say after a few you'd be pure mouldie.

Quality > Quantity.

Thats how it is for me anyway, i'd sooner spend €30 on a slab of good beer than a tenner for some cheap brand.

I have no doubt though that some folk will gobble this offer up. Its the 440ml can i'd imagine you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

i'm unemployed right now and i still tend to go for quality over quantity...i'd spend about 18 euro on 6 bottles typically....but i do brew my own beer too so that probably balances out the high cost i spend on beers. To be fair though, it a great price if all u r looking to do is get pissed and give yerself a rotten hangover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Oh dont get me wrong, I'm unemployed myself too, but i'd always go for Miller or heineken or bulmers. I'd rather pay for the quality

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'd rather pay for the quality
    With those brands, you're paying for the advertising and sponsorship too. It'd be well worth your while tasting them blind beside some cheaper stuff, to see if you can really taste where your extra money goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Oh dont get me wrong, I'm unemployed myself too, but i'd always go for Miller or heineken or bulmers. I'd rather pay for the quality

You're not paying for quality, the taxpayer is!! Un-bloody-leivable...... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

get off yer high horse....he, like me has probably payed prsi all his working life...i just hope you or those close to you never end up in the position i'm in, having to move abroad in order to get work......people like you make me sick!!

get off yer high horse....he, like me has probably payed prsi all his working life...i just hope you or those close to you never end up in the position i'm in, having to move abroad in order to get work......people like you make me sick!!

Gloomtastic - I have bee nworking since i was 14 and just recently got the chop!!!! Get your facts before you start mouthing off.

thelynchfella - I couldnt say it better myslef!

BeerNut wrote: »
    It'd be well worth your while tasting them blind beside some cheaper stuff, to see if you can really taste where your extra money goes.

Well in fairness, i'd notice a huge differnece between Miller, Heineken and Budweiser. Well out of a bottle anyway. From tap, I'm not so sure

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Calm it down there please, folks. The topic is about cheap beers, not PRSI contributions or unemployment :rolleyes:.

irish_stevo815, consider this a direct warning, and consider editing your post to remove the personal abuse.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

i'd notice a huge differnece between Miller, Heineken and Budweiser.
    Yeah, but since they're basically the same price there's no point comparing them. But which would you prefer between Heineken, Miller, Prazsky and Bavaria if you didn't know what they were in advance? It could save you some cash.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    Yeah, but since they're basically the same price there's no point comparing them. But which would you prefer between Heineken, Miller, Prazsky and Bavaria if you didn't know what they were in advance? It could save you some cash.

True enough. Bavaria isn't half bad actually. Last year for Oxegen I picked up a slab for €20. Couldnt go wrong with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

I agree with TheBeerNut. Tasting beers blind can be a revelation. I have had to revise my opinion of more than one beer when I tasted a selection of samples without knowing the brands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

i blame the parents

edit: i mean about thinking that miller or heiniken are quallity beers what he does with his money is his beeswax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

grenache wrote: »
    i'd sooner spend €30 on a slab of good beer than a tenner for some cheap brand.
    You can get a slab of good beer for €30? whereabouts, all I ever see is the standard advertised muck going that cheap, like bud/heineken/miller etc although some own brand beers are a lot better than those and might be €30 a crate my favourite cheap beer is lidl's perlenbacher. I would sooner save my €20 and get the cheaper crate for €10 than get heineken and not unnecessarily line the pockets of marketing men. I have always thought peoples perception of beer quality based on price as being bizarrely irrational, especially nowadays when the likes of heineken can be going for 70cent a bottle one day, and almost €2 the next and nobody bats an eyelid.

When heavily marketed beers like bud are going for €1 a bottle or less you really have to wonder where they are scrimping and saving, as marketing must be the main cost of some of them.

Advertisement