Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

monument at Dangan, Summerhill, maybe an obelisk?

Options
  • 21-04-2010 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    Every day i drive past an obelisk at Dangan in summer hill on the way to Work!

Anyone any idea why its on that hill, or who was it erected to?

MG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Archeron

i've wondered about that too. the daffodils growing all around it at the top of the hill look cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

I believe it markes the spot where the battle of dangan hill in 1798 took place but it itself is older. Dangan castle is nearby, it was where the duke of wellington was born and him or his ancestors where fond of obelisks. I believe there are several in or around the estate but this one is the only one still in relatively good nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Archeron

Cool, thanks for that. I walked some of the way up the laneway towards Dangan Castle a while back, and I could see some other things in the overgrown grass there. I seen a little stone bridge that looked decorative, and another statue (I think) to the left of the castle. Pity the castle is closed off.

On another, but geographically close note, do you happen to know if there is access to the ruined castle in Summerhill? The one in the field opposite Fisks car dealership? I'm guessing not as its always surrounded by cows, but would love to ramble up and have a closer look at it, if that were possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭umpire bat

The is another obilisk type structure in behind what seems to be a defunct sand pit. Take left at Dangan coming from Summerhill. Go down narrow road for about 1km and then into a narrow right, then go about 500m up the little road that runs from the back of Dangan church to Umberstown (on Laracor-Rathmolyon road).
    A lot of the history of Dangan is vague.

Regarding the castle structure in the village, curiousity eats me about that also. That estate was sub divided in the 40s and 50s!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Meathgirl wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    Every day i drive past an obelisk at Dangan in summer hill on the way to Work!

Anyone any idea why its on that hill, or who was it erected to?

MG

This monument, I surmise? I don't know what it's for but I would expect it's to commemorate the battle of Dangan Hill, one of the most significant battles of seventeenth-century Ireland.

I believe it markes the spot where the battle of dangan hill in 1798 took place but it itself is older.

Do you mean the Battle of Dungan's/Dangan's Hill in August 1647?

Battle of Dungan's Hill

Battle of Dangan Hill

Some 3000 people died in Dangan, Summerhill on that autumn day in 1647:

Details of the Battle

Details of the Battle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

some great pictures of the old lynchs castle in sumerhill here. http://www.abandonedireland.com/

There were 2 famous battles around summerhill, dangan hill at this spot and Dungan hill which is near coole, they areoften mixed up. Also near there is a place that was known as Agar Palise. the house is no longer there unfortunately but i was lucky enough to talk to the owner and he gave me a tour of the gardens and outhouses. It was once a massive place in its day

Advertisement