Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Davis V Higgins :: WC 2010 :: Round 2

• 21-04-2010 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

Well not may would of predicted Steve Davis getting into the second round but it makes for a great battle all the same. As much as i hate watching Steve Davis play snooker, he's a nice guy so i'll be rooting for him.
    How can he beat Higgins though..?
    Well he needs every bit of luck going but more importantly, when he gets a chance he must consistently hit 50+ breaks. He hasn't been doing this enough over the past few years so it's hard to see it changing. He will defo have the crowd on his side though and probably more standing ovations for his entrance.
    Heart says Davis but head says Higgins (this could be a white wash)!!

Syngin

To Win 3 votes

John
    0% 0 votes
    Steve
    100% 3 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Well, as far as I remember the head-to-head between the two of them is 18-2/18-3 (or something crazy like that) to John, amazing I know especially as much of that was in the mid-nineties when Steve was a top-4/top-8 player and John was the new kid on the block.

It should be a great match with a fantastic atmosphere, can't wait. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Two of the greatest match snooker players the game has ever seen.It's a catch 22 situation for Davis, even if he stops Higgins playing and scoring heavily he then must compete with Higgins's great safety game.
    Higgins is kinda like Davis was in the eighties, a big scorer when he gets in but also has the safety game to grind out results.

My prediction ( and i've yet to
    make a correct one on boards! although I did say Davis and King might go to the last frame)
    is Higgins to win and to win well 13-4, or 13-5.

So run out and put your money on Davis!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 chapelizod

Davis 13-12 Higgins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

chapelizod wrote: »
    Davis 13-12 Higgins

Its possible, Davis does seem to be on a (t)roll at the moment...

Its possible, Davis does seem to be on a (t)roll at the moment...

Well, would love to see it. If Davis relaxes and plays as if it means nothing, we could have a match. Davis at his best against John Higgins at his best would have been a hard one to call.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Not a mission of Davis progressing from here. Higgins to win by at least 7 or so frames. Will be a great atmosphere though alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Best of 25
    HIGGINS 0 - 1 DAVIS

Good start by Davis winning the first frame. Higgins hasn't had a shot yet

Best of 25
    HIGGINS 2 - 5 DAVIS

Davis rolling back the years. playing great stuff.
    Didn't expect this at all. C'mon Steve. this would be some scalp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

I'm really on a roll!!! Never listen to me when I make a prediction!!!

Seriously though Davis has been fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Snookermad

Wow that was great stuff from steve, really solid. I know john wasn't at his best but steve gave him very few chances.

I still fancy john to go on and win the match though long way 2 go.

• Advertisement

ye, only the first of 3 !! days gone in this match..
    Surely SD can't keep this going. I'd love if he got through to the next round though..can't see it some how.
    Watching that last frame, it was unreal how Davis was getting the run of the balls. Everything was going for him. Having said that, he played brilliantly and deserved the session. Higgins will have a night to reflect and more than likely come out all guns blazing. Delighted that Davis is giving him a match at least. It could of been painful to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,705 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Classic Nugget last night :)

syngindub wrote: »
    it was unreal how Davis was getting the run of the balls. Everything was going for him.

I found that very strange. Normally Higgins gets a provacative amount of luck, but bide your time...Im sure by today Davis will have woke the sleeping beast!

Fantastic to see Davis being so competetive given his age. I would urge everyone to lap this match up, its not always you get to see a past champion from so far back making a run like this. It may very well be never seen again. It would be surprising to see Hendry in the second round nearly at this stage, but unheard of for Davis. Brilliant stuff.

I have a feeling Davis has already achieved what he set out for during this campaign. Reaching the second round, you could see the sense of achievement in his eyes during the last minutes of the King match. At one point I though his eyes welled up, and Virgo even commented that he looked "emotional" at that point. Im delighted for him, well done Steve!

We have the three greats in action, Davis (80's), Hendry (90's) & Higgins (00's) - its a good time for snooker :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Woah... unexpected! Still think Higgins will take a run of frames to come back into it, but I think I underestimated Davis just a bit... :D

I knew Davis would be good in around the balls, but his long shots and safety play has been much better than I'd have thought. Great to see alright.

How many times has a player lost the first session of a second round match at the Crucible 6-2 (or more) and then came back to win the match? I'd say it's probably only happened a few times in history. Does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,705 ✭✭✭Speak Now

chapelizod wrote: »
    How many times has a player lost the first session of a second round match at the Crucible 6-2 (or more) and then came back to win the match? I'd say it's probably only happened a few times in history. Does anyone know?

I'd be surprise if it was that rare, needs to win last 2 sessions 11-6 at worst. Hardly a mamooth task.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Best of 25
    HIGGINS 4 - 8 DAVIS
    Mid Session Interval. Another great session of snooker from Davis.
    Higgins is making uncharactistic mistakes but fair play to Davis who is taking his chances.

• Advertisement

It could so easily have been 8-8, anyway that session was the perfect example of one player being cagey and reluctant (Steve) and one managing to grind out a result while playing poor (John).

I still fancy John to do it about 13-11.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I hope Steve gets through! It would be great to see him make the mother of all comebacks!

SarahBM wrote: »
    I hope Steve gets through! It would be great to see him make the mother of all comebacks!

Ha wouldnt it just! It would be an astonishing achievement to him to ko the current world champion...I just cant see Higgins losing this one though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

celticfc wrote: »
    It could so easily have been 8-8, anyway that session was the perfect example of one player being cagey and reluctant (Steve) and one managing to grind out a result while playing poor (John).

I still fancy John to do it about 13-11.

id be inclined to agree with that, despite wanting to see davis win so much!

paddy power is 4-1 for that result, well worth a punt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Good response from Steve after the first 2 frames this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Trampas

that blue cleaned its feet

Unbelievable!!! Come on Steve!!!

Yeah, that was such a quality frame, from the 40+ break from JH including the doubled green to the kick on the blue.

I was very surprised that final blue dropped.

It's well poised :)

I cant believe Davis just potted the white! twice! OMG!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

i've no access to watching this, what's the latest update/score?

thanks

Advertisement