Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Davis V Higgins :: WC 2010 :: Round 2

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

how are we looking in this frame folks?

all i know is that paddypower is offering Davis 2/1 for this frame!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

higgins 43 to 31 up, but davis is on the table

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

this is one of the best matches Ive seen in a long time. very nerve wracking!

going for a double!!

missed it but its safe enough

higgins is putting it on a plate for davis

what a double on the brown by davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well done "Interesting"!

davis wins!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭hairyleprechaun

Delighted! That was great to watch. Really exciting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

GET IN STEVE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Congrats Steve.
    Who is he playing in the next round?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

What a result! I saw up until 9-9 and I thought Higgins was going to step up a gear but all credit to Davis, he doesn't age, he just gets better!!! gutted to miss the last few frames, cheers for the updates guys!

What a result! I saw up until 9-9 and I thought Higgins was going to step up a gear but all credit to Davis, he doesn't age, he just gets better!!! gutted to miss the last few frames, cheers for the updates guys!
    there showing the last 6 or so frames on bbc1 now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Thinks it's the winner of the Dott game next. Fantastic Steve!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

gutted to miss the last few frames

it'll probably be on youtube in a few hours. it's 10-9 on bbc 1 now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

What a game and I'm delighted Steve Davis has gone through. I know who I'll be cheering on for the remainder of the tournament and the curse of the crucible continues
    syngindub wrote: »
    Congrats Steve.
    Who is he playing in the next round?

Gould or Robertson

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Wow, well many round these parts know that I'm a die hard Higgins fan and I was convinced Steve would crumble towards the end but I've gotta say WELL DONE STEVE!!!

To be fair, John played really well today, ok, he misses a couple of pressure shots, but Steve kept with him all the way with a high standard throughout, sensational. It looks like he plays Martin Gould (11-5 up) in the quarters, so who knows...?

Steve has gone from the man everyone seemed to hate in the 1980's (except most notibly John Higgins & Ronnie O'Sullivan) to the big crowd favourite everywhere he goes.

He's a true living and playing legend of snooker.

sitting through this match again.
    how sad..
    Anyway..looking forward to steve's interview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Delighted. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

my old man always reckons that Davis ruined the game in the 80's..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭connie147

Lots of people say that, but really, there's no truth to it. All that was wrong with Steve Davis was that he was too good for the rest that were playing. He took the game to a new level and players soon found out that if they werent going to work on their game and improve, then they werent going to survive.
    The new breed coming through took that on board and it was Steve davis's standard they were trying to reach (a bit like Tiger Woods in golf). But the public love the underdog, and because Steve used to win everything, they turned against him. The high standards that are there now are down to the influence of Davis and later hendry.

And on that match with Higgens, well what can I say that hasnt been said already. Steve Davis is a living legend. Its hard to believe he was capable of that kinda performance at 52 years of age. (7 years older than John Parrot who retired this year because he could no longer compete at this level). No matter what happens in his quarter final against Robertson, this WC will be remembered for what Steve has done. Snooker needed a lift, and i think this has done so much for the image of the game judging from the people I came across today who wouldnt normally talk snooker.

I really hope he goes further, but how long can he keep up these levels of concentration?
    He's doing a week of exhibitions across Ireland in 2 weeks time with denis taylor, celebrating the 25th year anniversary of that famous 1985 black ball final. Any chance he could be champ again this year? Farfetched I know, but sure we can live in hope!!

This post has been deleted.

the best decision davis made was to become an analyst as people got to see what he is really like. brilliant self-depreciating dry wit!

im a huge fan of higgins, but the romance of the 52 year old, old-timer getting through against all the odds was hard to resist!
    paddy power at one stage had higgins at 1/25 before the match!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

aDeener wrote: »
    the best decision davis made was to become an analyst as people got to see what he is really like. brilliant self-depreciating dry wit!

im a huge fan of higgins, but the romance of the 52 year old, old-timer getting through against all the odds was hard to resist!
    paddy power at one stage had higgins at 1/25 before the match!!

fair ****s to steve davis, you can picture him with his earl grey and all that but he was some player back in his day and its mad that he can play like this in his 50s.

wise old ead still there son

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

connie147 wrote: »
    He's doing a week of exhibitions across Ireland in 2 weeks time with denis taylor, celebrating the 25th year anniversary of that famous 1985 black ball final.

Any more details on this? I did a search online but couldn't find anything, would love to try and make it along to one of these!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Interesting article here. A tip from a fan unlocked the secret to his new-found form. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/article7107228.ece
    Davis shed a tear and then revealed the secret of his return to form. “I run a website giving advice to snooker players,” he said. “Some gentleman emailed me and said I was moving my head on the shot. Nonsense, I thought, but when I looked at it, he was right. So I just told myself to keep my head still on every shot. And since then I’ve been playing better and better.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

davyjose wrote: »
    Interesting article here. A tip from a fan unlocked the secret to his new-found form. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/article7107228.ece

davis getting parkinsons...yikes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

connie147 wrote: »
    Any chance he could be champ again this year?

Course he can. Wouldn't be surprised if he was faced with the same cut back black to win 18-17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

With all due respect to your old man, thats bullsh1t. Davis crafted the modern era of snooker & the game we see today filled with technique & skill. As someone rightly pointed out, nobody could compete with him because he was the first to truly realise the importance of technique, and therefore won everything. Id be surprised at all if snooker would have survived up until now without his changing influence back then.

I had a very brief chat with him at the Davis/Selby exhibition last year, a nicer man you couldnt meet. Well done Steve!

Columbia wrote: »
    Any more details on this? I did a search online but couldn't find anything, would love to try and make it along to one of these!

You should get the details on www.cueclubevents.net.

Basically, its five nights,(maybe 6), in the middle of May In Athy, Dublin, Cork, Wicklow and waterford, and if theres a 6th night, It'll be in Limerick. Tues may 11th is the Athy night, in carlton Abbey hotel.
    Spa hotel in Lucan, Dublin is wed May 12th,
    The Commons Inn hotel in Cork is on Thurs May 13th,
    The Grand hotel In Wicklow town is friday May 14th
    The Tower Hotel in waterford is monday 17th May.

Steve is doing these with Dennis Taylor. This is the 25th anniversary of that famous black ball final, and on the night, they replay that frame with an insight into their thoughts at the time. They also play a few locals, and both do their trick shot routine and the whole night is very enjoyable.

I'll probably put up a new thread about the exhibitions for those who are interested.

Connie

If anybody needs any further details, pm me or call me on 087-2833343.

• Advertisement

I hope davis gets off to a decent start against Robertson, because if Robertson gets off to a fast start, he's a lethal frontrunner. Twould be nice to see another close one!

Advertisement