Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Knocking sound from drivetrain

• 21-04-2010 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Maybe some of ye might be able to advice on this problem which is starting to drive me a bit daft. The bike is a carbon Trek, was off it for nearly four months over the winter due to hernia problem and it is only since I have got back on it that this problem has come up. Basically, it always starts when I am going uphill and there is pressure on the pedals, I would generally be in the saddle and not standing, and a constant clicking sound starts.It sounds like it is coming from the bottom bracket but now I am not so sure. It never occurs on the flat or downhill when speeds are higher. It is not the back wheel as I got it checked. Brought to the lbs last weekend and he replaced the bottom bracket and front crankset but out yesterday evening and it is exactly the same. At this stage I feel like doing a David Miller on it but I dont have a second bike unfortunately. Anyway, I have checked the pedals and the bottle cages and both seem fine.
    Is there something I have missed ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

saddle, seatpost, bars and stem. give all of these a 'nudge' with your allen keys May also be your cleats starting to wear or whatever bearings are in your pedals

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

bcmf wrote: »
    saddle, seatpost, bars and stem. give all of these a 'nudge' with your allen keys May also be your cleats starting to wear or whatever bearings are in your pedals

Have checked cleats and pedals already, both are relatively new and are ok. Will check the others - thanks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Is it the Madone with Treks terrible proprietary BB system

Is it the Madone with Treks terrible proprietary BB system

Actually no..its the 5000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Seat post saddle would be a good placed to start. Also did you have the noise before you got bb and chainset replaced?

• Advertisement

All noises on a bike sound like they are coming from the BB area. I had I really loud creak recently that I would have put money on was coming from the BB, removed BB regreased it, the works, turned out to be the fork dropouts. Similar thing on a different bike turned out to be a crack in the frame at the rear drop outs (don't mean to scare you!). It could be coming from absolutley anywhere on the bike, so just go through everything systematically, tightening/regreasing as you go until you find the source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mockler007

i had this problem aswell
    it was so annoying,
    like a cracking sound when i was seated on the saddle, so when i was cycling i stood up and cycled and it stopped, so i found the problem,
    a month ago another problem clicking this time when i put presssure on the clips, click click fcuken click, so a nice lubing and a thightening did the trick there.
    i would advise to get a yearly greasing rebuild,
    ie greasing and new ball bearings etc.
    if your bike is anyway savage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I recently thought my headset was creaking. It only occurred when I stood up and swung the bike about. It was the cables rubbing against the frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

I had same problem with my old bikes. And was unable to discover the source or reason why it happens. I had the clicking sound on left crank during the normal use in dry conditions. It would be gone either when I did not apply pressure on the crank just drag it (got spds) or when it was wet.

I'd say in my case it was a thread on bolts tightening the left crank, but why will never know. Maybe the way my foot was positioned on the pedal caused those bolts to worn out.

But to check that I would have to get my bike fitted somewhere.

I tried to replace BB and pedals and I could still hear the sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Croicyclist

30 quid later with a new set of Shimano BB tools , took it apart and re greased but still problem.

Changed out my bottle cages and the problem went away.

Would have bet my house the problem was with the BB....there you go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i have the exact same thing going on with my fixie, which has no bottle cages on it!

Checked all these last night and brought it out for a spin this evening - seems to be getting worse or maybe it's just my imagination..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

http://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/keepitquiet.html

the above link may help you track it down

Checked all these last night and brought it out for a spin this evening - seems to be getting worse or maybe it's just my imagination..
    wow.....or maybe you are just more aware of it. Is the click staying with your pedal stroke. Does it happen at the same point on each pedal stroke

wow.....or maybe you are just more aware of it. Is the click staying with your pedal stroke. Does it happen at the same point on each pedal stroke

Probably am more aware especially whn out in agroup, the click is not staying with my pedal stroke bit it is constant - if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Oldtrier

Given all of the advice you have been given, any possibility its something simple like the rear derailleur clipping a spoke when you go up the cassette as you go up hill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

LBS changed the crankset and BB without proving they were faulty and no result ?
    Even if they were worn the original cranks should have been reused.

Anyhow as you only noticed the noise after the bike was layed up for a while it might be a stiff link in the chain.
    If the chain and or some of the rear sprockets are worn excessively the chain can sometimes make a clicking sound as the sprocket tries to throw the chain off under load.
    Lubricate chain and jockey wheel bearings to eliminate them also.

Probably am more aware especially whn out in agroup, the click is not staying with my pedal stroke bit it is constant - if that makes sense.
    ... and its happening only when you climb and in the seat? As said above does it happen thru all the gears or just in the easier gears.
    I dont mean to state the obvious but it isnt the chin just clipping the front mech is it?

Oldtrier wrote: »
    Given all of the advice you have been given, any possibility its something simple like the rear derailleur clipping a spoke when you go up the cassette as you go up hill?

Anything is possible of course, thanks for that - will check it tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I had a clicking problem, which turned out to be the end of the front derailleur cable which was sticking out and rubbing off the pedals.

• Advertisement
Advertisement