Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam repeats and degree award calculation

Options
  • 21-04-2010 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi All,

I think I have just failed one of my finals. What is the story with repeats in aug/sept? I have heard they are awarded a maximum of 40% in DIT... is this true?

Also,

How are honours degree (Level 8) awards calculated? Do they take the average percentage for each subject for your full 4 years of the degree? I am just concerned about how big an impact on my final degree failing an exam would have... I have generally had 2.1 or higher grades all the way through.

Thankyou!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

temana wrote: »
    Hi All,

I think I have just failed one of my finals. What is the story with repeats in aug/sept? I have heard they are awarded a maximum of 40% in DIT... is this true?

Also,

How are honours degree (Level 8) awards calculated? Do they take the average percentage for each subject for your full 4 years of the degree? I am just concerned about how big an impact on my final degree failing an exam would have... I have generally had 2.1 or higher grades all the way through.

Thankyou!

AFAIK, once you fail a final, you can only leave with a pass degree eg a 2:2.
    calculations are all based on fourth year, in my course anyways, and its to do with the module weightings.

eg i have a one semester subject worth 5 credits, but my thesis and two year long modules are worth 10 credits, so they make up the bulk of your final degree classification.

in my course anyways, the results from the first three years dont mean diddly squat.

hope thats of some help to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

This is not true anymore. THe rules changed and depending on the number of credits the module is worth you might get another chance without it affecting the grade of your degree. A pass is not a 2.2 by the way.

Talk to the head of your course about it but I think its 10 credits you are allowed repeat. My degree is based on both 3rd and 4th year grades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 temana

Thanks, I just read on the student exam regulations there that if I fail I can repeat but if I fail the repeats then I wont be entitled to honours merit or distinction... The module itself is weighted 10 credits... but the continuous assessments for that module are pretty good... just have to wait and see i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Argesean

It beats me how they found counting only last year grades for some degrees to be reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 pugsymalone

Best of luck Temana. Hopefully you did better than you think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Crisps

Argesean wrote: »
    It beats me how they found counting only last year grades for some degrees to be reasonable.

I know for dt228 they will take either your overall grade from 1st/2nd/3rd/4th year or just the overall grade from 4th... depending on what's highest. I think because the final year project counts for 2 subjects (and "generally" everyone did well with the fyp the year I finished) everyone's 4th year overall grade was the highest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Crisps wrote: »
    I know for dt228 they will take either your overall grade from 1st/2nd/3rd/4th year or just the overall grade from 4th... depending on what's highest. I think because the final year project counts for 2 subjects (and "generally" everyone did well with the fyp the year I finished) everyone's 4th year overall grade was the highest.

Counts for 4 subjects. Its 20 Credits, Each Subject is 5 credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Crisps

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Counts for 4 subjects. Its 20 Credits, Each Subject is 5 credits.

Well it was 2 subjects in my day... god I'm old. I know the course has been restructured since though so maybe that's where I've gone wrong.

Advertisement