Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a Sony Walkman

• 21-04-2010 11:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭

A particular series, X, E etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭sxt

How much do you want to spend? how much memory capacity do you want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

X Series are rated highly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

16GB at least. I am haveing trouble finding them online though fromn Euro or UK retailers.

Amazone have an older model 16gb for about 90 Pounds (.co.uk and I am sure there is nothing wrong with it) I was just wondering if the only real improvement in an X Series was the touchscreen because I am not too pushed about that.

EDIT: Regarding expenditure, I have one of those old Sony Harddisk walkmen http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/03/10/ic_sony11_narrowweb__300x476,0.jpg
    I never thought I would get to the time where I thought that was too big and clunky but it is, also it is stuck with Sonicstage, also it is over 3 years old now so it can't really go more than an hour without needing a charge.
    I spent well over 200e on this and was expecting to have to spend the same but was pleasantly surprised to see some of the older 'new' walkmen series like the amazon one I referenced above being only 90 odd pounds.

Yes alot of the models don't seem to be in stock anymore...

This one is a lovely machine- durable brushed steel,decent earphones,simple and effective design, real long battery life but alas only in 8gb on amazon.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Walkman-NWZ-S638FS-Video-Player/dp/B001FB56P2/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271931275&sr=1-27

This one for £69 looks relatively good value allthough the build quality would not be as good and the earphones seem a bit icky according to the reviews,but you could impress your friends on the bus with the stero speakers:P

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-NWZS545B-Walkman-Built-Speakers/dp/B002LARSLG/ref=pd_cp_ce_2

where can you get the x series by the way?

Is the S series newer than the E series?

Don't particularly want the speakers so would probably slum it on the E if it was smaller (S is actually cheaper on Amazon.co.uk).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Why do you want a Walkman in particular?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭lilblackdress

I have a walkman and an ipod touch and i much prefer the sound quality of the walkman, infact, i took all the music off my itouch and i use it for the web and apps.

Look at the new A-series walkman. It's the one i'll be buying in the next month or two! I also love the s series as it can record of the radio but it is slighly bigger than my old a series.

To be honest, i worked in a sony shop for years and the x series never sold too well. Brilliant sound quality... the best of all the walkman's but even i wasn't pushed on the touch screen....

Meh, I might try a SonyShop over the weekend then but I guess the price of the E series is on Amazon is hardly going to be beat.

I will try and find measurements of the two to see which is smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭viv.ie

I was in Dundrum last weekend and I think the Sony cen. had dropped the price of the X series.I purchased a 16Gb X series in Power City Bray today for 139 euros,it was a special sitting in the display case marked down from e259(no more in stock).Got this for a friend who was on the lookout for a good mp3 player.Had a listen while I was setting it up for him and it sounded awesome,if I had not a Nationite S:FLo2 on pre order from MP4 Nation I would have kept it for myself,comes with noise cancelling in-ears which I did not use as I used my own a set of ultimate ears Super 5 pro.Anyway all I can say its a fantastic sounding player miles better than any current iPod.

• Advertisement

Wow, that is a good for the x series. I actually bought a pair of ultimate Super fi 5 (not the pro),Can't wait to check them out:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

sxt wrote: »
    Wow, that is a good for the x series. I actually bought a pair of ultimate Super fi 5 (not the pro),Can't wait to check them out:)

The X1000-Series was discontinued, I guess sony are trying to clear out the old stock by charging a fairer price than the grossly over inflated initial release price.

Ah! No wonder i had trouble finding it online:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

do audiophiles primarily only buy dedicated players as opposed to using their phones?
    is there that much of a difference as i have an ipod somewhere but use my phone to listen to music?

THere are some great phones for audio these days! THe only problem I find is that in alot of them,you can't plug your favourite earphones in to them...Maybe the new one's allow you to do this,i'm not sure...

My phone has stereo which is nice to listen to once and a while, but the battery life on my phone sis poor for the most part and that is why I rarely use my phone to listen to music.

I am seriously consdiering this X series on Amazon.

Bit pricey but I may check bricks and mortar first but I wouldn't be overally confident of beating the price.

Advertisement