Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suckler Breeding

• 22-04-2010 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Does anyone know where to find a breakdown of breeding ie how to achieve 7/8 bred stock and 3/4 bred in a herd? from Pruebred down would be helpful to me as starting out
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

what u mean
    sure if u go simmental...say a simmental heifer calf from a fr cow would be what 1/4 bred,
    then breed it to a PB Sim bull--it be 1/2 bred,
    then with the resulant calf go again to PB Sim Bull,its calf would be 3/4 bred,
    and then finally go to a PB Sim bull...u'd shoudl have a pb....NO? maybe i'm wrong...
    So thats 4 generations from the first calve to PB status

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭adne

I thought Pure Breed meant 100% breed from the one breed... ie. no cross to another breed even if back further than 4 generations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

adne wrote: »
    I thought Pure Breed meant 100% breed from the one breed... ie. no cross to another breed even if back further than 4 generations

That was my understanding of it too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

it is that...but then again how did all the breeds come about...
    through cross-breeding over 100's of years!
    was just explaining about the breeding to poster that asked about it...
    maybe i was totally wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I've heard the term 'full bred' used a lot on this forum....I was wondering what people meant.
    To me, 'full bred' means both Cow and Bull are either registered in the herd book or all lines go back to animals in the herd book.

Otherwise each breeding for the same breed of bull will be-
    First - 1/2 bred
    second - 3/4 bred
    third - 7/8 bred
    fourth - 15/16 bred
    fifth - 31/32 etc etc

So strictly you never get to full bred as the original line of the first cow (say friesian) will always be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭adne

wiggy123 wrote: »
    it is that...but then again how did all the breeds come about...

How do Maoiri, Aborigine people exist :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

From my understanding a full-blood is an animal where every ancestor is registered in the breed's herd-book and show all the breed characteristics.

A purebred is an animal that is constantly crossed with full-blood animals of a certain breed type until a percentage of the breed is achieved.

eg. 50% LIM and 50% FR heifer ai'ed to a fullblood LIM
    results in: 75% LIM 25% FR, - repeated with another fullblood
    results in a 87.5% LIM calf

For the majority of breed associations the percentage required to be considered pure bred is around 87.5%

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Horace

wiggy123 wrote: »
    what u mean
    sure if u go simmental...say a simmental heifer calf from a fr cow would be what 1/4 bred,
    then breed it to a PB Sim bull--it be 1/2 bred,
    then with the resulant calf go again to PB Sim Bull,its calf would be 3/4 bred,
    and then finally go to a PB Sim bull...u'd shoudl have a pb....NO? maybe i'm wrong...
    So thats 4 generations from the first calve to PB status

surly this animal is a 1/2 bred sm/fr or fr/sm cross if its only a 1/4 bred animal what other breeds are involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Horace wrote: »
    surly this animal is a 1/2 bred sm/fr or fr/sm cross if its only a 1/4 bred animal what other breeds are involved

from a PB bull as in the example it is a 1/2 bred not a 1/4 as stated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I go with the half bred too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement