Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest RTMP solution?

Options
  • 22-04-2010 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

My developers have been looking in to a RTMP set up for a chat video site that I've been looking in to getting launched (I posted this thread about the same project before).

I'm trying to figure out the best solution for this project, and by best I mean the overall most efficient set up in terms of quality/set up costs/running costs.

My developers have looked in to RTMP a bit and came back with the following;
    There are 3 types of RTMP, please check:

1. fims (Flash Media Interactive Server) (a commercial software from adobe, runs on windows server edition)
    RTMP hosting uses servers intensely so regular providers will not allow this with shared web hosting plans. You can usually host rtmp with your regular host if you have a VPS or Dedicated Server. Otherwise you'll need a special rtmp hosting plan in addition to your regular web hosting.

VideoWhisper RTMP side applications are developed and supported in versions for these flash media servers:

Flash Media Interactive Server
    This is the native server developed by Adobe for use with flash. You can buy the Flash Media Interactive Server software from Adobe and install it on your web server, or you can buy FMIS hosting from a company specialized on this platform. Unless your business is very big and you have your own servers and server staff, we recommend ordering a FMIS hosting plan from a FMIS hosting provider.
    We offer managed rtmp fmis hosting plans for our customers. These include full FMIS installation, including deployment of the asc file(s) and setup of the required flash media server permissions.

2. ROSS - Red5 Open Source Server

This is the open source. But need to do a lot of thesis on this. There are many many resources there to do that. All of them have to read.

And the videowhisper server has a team ( ! ) to install this on server. And they take 150 USD to do that. ( !!! )
    http://www.videowhisper.com/?p=Red5 Installation

3. WMS - Wowza Media Server

This is also a commercial package. But dont know, what to do after getting that.

Details are in this page.
    http://www.wowzamedia.com/store.html

Do Blacknight offer a solution for any of the above and if so what method would you recommend?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

We don't offer any of them on our shared hosting.

I *think* we were looking at the Adobe solution, but we look at a lot of things :)

The open source solutions are probably your best bet, but you'd need to get a VPS or dedicated to run it.

Advertisement