Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Community Is Split! Which Is Better!!!

Options
  • 22-04-2010 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭

CvS2 :D
    Or...
    Street Fighter 4 :(

WHO WILL WIN!!!

Don't post if your gonna just say ugh neither XXX is so much better ¬___¬

Capcom VS SNK 2 or Street Fighter 4 9 votes

Capcom VS SNK 2
    0% 0 votes
    Street Fighter 4
    100% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I never really played much of CvS2, I was always much more partial to MvC2 and I'm much more partial to SFIV than either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

CVS is much better i think but sadly we'll never go back to it. Unless we get a CVS3 thanks to StMichael, ha. SF4 is awesome, its brought us all together, lets not put it down!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

SFIV is stupid, I'm just gonna put it out there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Ramza wrote: »
    SFIV is stupid, I'm just gonna put it out there

Why play it then?

Seriously.

A-Trak wrote: »
    Why play it then?

Seriously.

The same reason everyone else does? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Everybody plays Halo. But we aren't all in the FPS forum, are we? Dunno bout you, but I play SF4 because imo its excellent.

Its not about having godlike execution. Or knowing 170 different combo's....or juggling somebody with an infinite for 99 seconds. It's about matchup knowledge and out thinking your opponent. If you lose its coz you got owned mentally.

And thats why it rocks hard! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Kirby wrote: »
    Its not about having godlike execution. Or knowing 170 different combo's....or juggling somebody with an infinite for 99 seconds. It's about matchup knowledge and out thinking your opponent. If you lose its coz you got owned mentally.

what games do you think are like this for the record?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    what games do you think are like this for the record?

CvS 3 but of course in CvS 3 you need to own your opponent mentally as well as having all those other skills.

Kirby wrote: »
    Everybody plays Halo. But we aren't all in the FPS forum, are we? Dunno bout you, but I play SF4 because imo its excellent.

And thats why it rocks hard! :D

So you can't post in the FPS forum? :pac:

You're missing my point, I play FGs, SFIV isn't my first FG so that's why I'm posting here?

AFAIK no fighting games* requires above

Pretty much all FG break down to knowing matchups/game and specific knowledge and outsmarting opponents

Here's your pick

SFIV
    BlazBlue
    TVC
    Tekken 6

:pac: that's why everyone (well most) plays SFIV, because its current. I'm not saying people will only play what's current. not at all. I know we have 3s, cvs2, st, players etc but there not exactly the pillars of the community are they? Not here anyway

*MVC2 isn't a fighting game

I'm not saying people don't like SFIV, most people only play it for the game's sake (me being one of them)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fake_roogle

I think CvS2 is more fun/technical, but it's a dead game (as are most pre-SF4 games), which is probably why it doesn't get much play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

So you can't post in the FPS forum? :pac:

You're missing my point, I play FGs, SFIV isn't my first FG so that's why I'm posting here?

AFAIK no fighting games* requires above

Pretty much all FG break down to knowing matchups/game and specific knowledge and outsmarting opponents

Here's your pick

SFIV
    BlazBlue
    TVC
    Tekken 6

:pac: that's why everyone (well most) plays SFIV, because its current. I'm not saying people will only play what's current. not at all. I know we have 3s, cvs2, st, players etc but there not exactly the pillars of the community are they? Not here anyway

*MVC2 isn't a fighting game

I'm not saying people don't like SFIV, most people only play it for the game's sake (me being one of them)
    You need to learn yourself some Virtua Fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

ting game

I disagree, sf4 is a damn good game. Yes some people like ST or 3s more but that doesn't take away from the fact that SF4 is still fantastic. Honestly, they could have really made an utter balls of it , things could have gone wrong on so many levels.

I don't think SF4 is perfect , I love 3s and don't think that's perfect either. When it comes down to it, its trendy for some people to say 'SF4 is terrible, but I'll play it cause its the most popular'

It goes with out saying to take that shit with a pinch of salt, cause what they're really saying is "SF4 isn't exactly like [insert fav fighting game] and for that reason I'm not over the moon about it, but I enjoy playing it anyway"

Cause I'll be damned if these people would still actually play it if they hated it and found absolutely no enjoyment from the game, what so ever.

In the end though these people are in the minority and in fact more people who play it think its a good game and play it cause of such, even if they think tis not as good as their fav fighting game.

Sisko wrote: »
    I disagree, sf4 is a damn good game. Yes some people like ST or 3s more but that doesn't take away from the fact that SF4 is still fantastic. Honestly, they could have really made an utter balls of it , things could have gone wrong on so many levels.

I don't think SF4 is perfect , I love 3s and don't think that's perfect either. When it comes down to it, its trendy for some people to say 'SF4 is terrible, but I'll play it cause its the most popular'

It goes with out saying to take that shit with a pinch of salt, cause what they're really saying is "SF4 isn't exactly like [insert fav fighting game] and for that reason I'm not over the moon about it, but I enjoy playing it anyway"

Cause I'll be damned if these people would still actually play it if they hated it and found absolutely no enjoyment from the game, what so ever.

In the end though these people are in the minority and in fact more people who play it think its a good game and play it cause of such, even if they think tis not as good as their fav fighting game.

Nice post, how I feel with SFIV you kind of summed up. Although I don't get the part about being trendy to be honest. Why would it be trendy for someone not to like SFIV?

For me personally I would take the word fantastic and replace it with ok (for me) :)

Like in summary, yeah SFIV is a fun game, and I do enjoy playing it, but I was really disappointed with it when it first came out (and still am). I just don't think it's great/brilliant. And maybe that's just because I'm comparing it to all the other games I play, but isn't that what you're meant to do, given SF is supposed to be a evolutionary series?

When I said the reason I play SFIV was "the same reason why everyone else does", I meant it like this ;

It was my belief that not everyone was fully content with SFIV, but they just play it anyway because it is an ok/goodish game, and because well it's SF! Like cmon, SFIV is a letdown, admit it. Oh I'm fully sure there are people who love the game and that's great! Like, what else are you going to play? We have like a barely existent Tekken scene, a tiny BB playerbase (given not many people even like BB!), and I'd say then we have a handful of 3s/st players. Plus many people don't really play those games

If our scene was much bigger (like in UK or America), we would have many other viable options for games because we would have giant playerbases and resources for said games.

I meant its trendy to put it like that when your of the camp don't love the game just like it. Its trendy to say 'its shite but I play it anyway', instead of 'its good but not as good as bla bla"

Is what I meant.

Yeah its an evolution of a series but its also a revitalisation. There also needs to be a separation of what you personal like in a fighting game verus what would be better for the series.

You may like parry for example, I do too, but it would not have been a good idea to have SF4 with parrys. They scored well with the focus system. This in itself was very risky , it could have been a disaster.

Also in the end I went into the game loving it cause I was comparing it to what it should also be compared to. Its the 1st in a series. So its Sf2s World Warriors, its Alpha 1, CvS 1 , its SF3 new generation.

Theres plenty of things I don't like about it. Shortcuts-easy reversals , defensive nature, speed and some of the player models but I still regard it as one of the best games I've ever played. I'm extremely hyped for super.

It was my belief that not everyone was fully content with SFIV,

Same can be said for every SF game.

And to the rest of your post yeah although SFIV is the biggest SF game atm everywhere I think. But yeah regarding this :
    they just play it anyway because it is an ok/goodish game, and because well it's SF!

This is what I'm saying, but these guys don't put it like that, they instead say SF4 is ****e/terrible etc etc

I'm just saying if it actually was a terrible game, they wouldn't be playing it even if it was SF, they have to like something about it if they play it. Theres a difference to something not being to someones taste, to it being purely a terrible game.

Sisko wrote: »
    I meant its trendy to put it like that when your of the camp don't love the game just like it. Its trendy to say 'its shite but I play it anyway', instead of 'its good but not as good as bla bla"

Yeah that's how I honestly feel with SFIV, like I enjoy it, it's good but obviously I'm eager to see what super will bring to the table and future installments (you guys know as well as I do Ono is full of ****e :pac:)

I believed everyone really played SFIV because it's just the thing to do and because we love SF we do it anyway (I thought everyone thought it was just an ok game)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Nice post, how I feel with SFIV you kind of summed up. Although I don't get the part about being trendy to be honest. Why would it be trendy for someone not to like SFIV?

For me personally I would take the word fantastic and replace it with ok (for me) :)

Like in summary, yeah SFIV is a fun game, and I do enjoy playing it, but I was really disappointed with it when it first came out. I just don't think it's great/brilliant. And maybe that's just because I'm comparing it to all the other games I play, but isn't that what you're meant to do, given SF is supposed to be a evolutionary series?

Ramza I don't know how many people I have seen/ read slagging 4 calling it crap, while playing it. I must admit it kinda annoys me too :D

You seem to have missed the last paragraph of my post you quoted :pac:

I never said I hated SFIV...

People can still slag the game and call it crap and play/enjoy it, but not as much as they wish they could/want to

You seem to have missed the last paragraph of my post you quoted :pac:

I never said I hated SFIV...

People can still slag the game and call it crap and play/enjoy it, but not as much as they wish they could/want to

I'm not saying you do, I am just saying it's mad how much it happens. It gets a bit old is all.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Ramza I don't know how many people I have seen/ read slagging 4 calling it crap, while playing it. I must admit it kinda annoys me too

These are probably the people who play you consistently Doom :pac:

• Advertisement

Azza wrote: »
    These are probably the people who play you consistently Doom :pac:

Being completely honest, they are usually people who are falling prey to sonic doom, yes :) it's funny how people who're beating me never complain about the game.

Oh I know, just saying

This is the truth ; when I bougth SFIV on launch day and played it, I thought the same on my first day of playing that I think now. I just didn't like it (that much). I literally put the game down and didn't touch it for months. And I know a logical response would be "don't play it then". I like it enough to play it, like it's fun, but to me its' disappointing, so take from that what you will

And like Sisko said, maybe it gets old because people are just jumping on the "I hate SFIV" bandwagon.

I can understand people who don't like the game not forming their own opinions and just saying "it sucks", and yeah that does get old DooM, but this is my honest opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 33 TC cork

CVs2 for me every time!!!!

@ ramza, No ones attacking you for not loving it, I was generally just disagreeing with your statement that most of the people that play SF4 don't like it and only play it for the sake of it.

LOL I'm well aware no one is attacking anyone, this isn't SRK :pac:

Maybe correct myself and change most to "some"

Yeah maybe most is a bit of a strong word now I think of it

And yeah I agree with you that in places it's become trendy to just say "SFIV is ok but I'll play it anyway", but I'm not following said trend, this is what I thought of the game when I got my hands on it. I form my own opinions :pac:

But I honestly think SFIV was/isn't well received, I'm an avid FG fan/player and I think I speak for a majority when I say SFIV is disappointing to avid FG players

I'd take other games over it anyday, but with such a small scene you can't really, if people had other viable options there would be a less playerbase for SFIV here and i defy anyone to tell me otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

SF4. CvS2 is great too. I'm surprised Virtua fighter 5 rarely gets a mention here. In Japan it's arguably more highly regarded as Street fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

is it true theres gonna be c v snk3?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

is it true theres gonna be c v snk3?

No.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

SF4 has introduced me, a person with no drive or love of fighting games, to a new and awesome community of people. I know for a fact I'm not alone in this, so for that alone (ignoring that it's about as solid as a fighting game can get) it should get props, for introducing so many people to the genre.

I agree with sisko completely, it wrecks my head when people (and we have them in the community here) say how much it SUCKS SO BAD, yet they play it on a regular basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You know what's worse?

People saying SFIV sucks.
    And then WINNING TOURNAMENTS.

Advertisement