Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exciting and Different Experiences in Egypt in July?

• 22-04-2010 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi, myself and 4 friends are heading to Egypt in July and are looking to have an exciting and memorable experience, before we settle into the "real world" of our profession. Two girls are staying only 10 days, the other 3 are staying about 3 weeks. This is my last hurrah, as I am starting into a traineeship when I get back which will mean no more travelling for the remainder of my 20s basically!

I'm looking for any suggestions as to exciting things to see or do. We'd be up for anything really. If there are trips that take days to complete, maybe ony the 3 of us staying longer will manage that, so I'm mainly concerned with stuff all 5 of us would do.

I've heard that scuba diving and a hot air balloon ride are two options. Anyone have any other reccommendations, maybe something not all tourists would think of?

Many thanks in advance,

dee8839.:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Felucca down the Nile is popular but supposedly very good.
    I've been to Kairo and it's ok but nothing special.
    Pyramids are overrated in my opinion. Nice but a massive tourist trap.
    Desert tours are cool when you get to stay overnight and sleep under the stars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭who what when

Egypt in july is very very hot, i should know, i travelled the entire lenght of egypt last july. Amazing country though. The one major downside however is the hassle you receive from locals, it just cant be explained through words the lengths these people will go to, to get you to hand over your money. I dont mean in an illegal way or anything, theres very little crime in egypt. Just by being generally annoying. Imagine the most persistant salesman you ever met, now imagine this every 5 yards, it can be seriously annoying.

Theres very little in cairo other than the pyramids which are a must see.
    Over rated??? Possibly a little but still jaw dropping!
    If you like adreneline rushes get a taxi in cairo and tell the driver theres a big baksheesh (tip) in it for him if he gets you there quickly!!!! No joke, very scary stuff!!

Dont stay in cairo more than two days, waste of time. Go south to aswan or luxor if you love history and old stuff in general (which i do). The scenery around aswan is breathtaking and the felluca trips are pretty cool. Ask the captain to take you somewhere you can swim. Most tour guides dont recommend swimming in the nile because of pollution but there are places (just to the south of aswan) where the water is of reasonable quality and pretty safe to do so. I was hesitant at first but when i saw the captain fill a bottle with water straight out of the river and drink it i jumped straight in. The day trip to abu simbel is also highly recommended.

Luxor is a bigger city and much more touristy. Theres an incredible amount of history here if thats your thing and of course the balloon rides are hugley popular. Theres also a few pubs and quiet a few resteraunts here, much more than aswan.

Like i say aswan and luxor are nice but quiet.
    If your into drinking and whoring around (for want of a better word) then sharm is your place. Theres some nice resorts there, the nightlife is good although july is low season, and the diving is really good and fairy cheap.
    However if this is the type of holiday you like go to thailand, far better experience with non of the hassle you get from locals.

All in all it depends what your looking for. If you want history, egypt is your place. If you want buckets of fun, excitement and a generally mad experience theres far better places to go!

Advertisement