Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camera Purchase

• 22-04-2010 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

I'm looking to purchase an SLR camera. However not much of an expert on cameras. What camera would you recommened for someone who isn't an expert but wants to learn and develop? Also where should I purchase such a camera in the Dublin area. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

cleverboy wrote: »
    I'm looking to purchase an SLR camera. However not much of an expert on cameras. What camera would you recommened for someone who isn't an expert but wants to learn and develop? Also where should I purchase such a camera in the Dublin area. Thanks
    • Doesn't matter which camera you get if you don't have any specific needs or budget, they're all fine.
    • I think the consensus is buy it online or go to Gunne's.

(And really, you should probably read up on this sort of thing or have a look around before you ask vague questions on a message board that can easily be answered with 5 minutes of Googlage.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

and develop?

As in film?

If so, just go on ebay and find a mid-range consumer SLR from any of the major manufacturer from a high rated seller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

charybdis wrote: »

(And really, you should probably read up on this sort of thing or have a look around before you ask vague questions on a message board that can easily be answered with 5 minutes of Googlage.)
    Maybe he wants good friendly Irish advice and tips from here?
    This is a photography forum after all.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Maybe he wants good friendly Irish advice and tips from here?
    This is a photography forum after all.
    :rolleyes:

My, what good freindly Irish advice you've given him!

One year ago.

OP, did you read the sticky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭crazydaize

I'm going to to assume that you mean a digital slr.

A very good starting point would be a Canon 450D, 500D, or the latest 550D (or Nikon equivalents). New or second hand depending on your budget (you can get an idea of prices on several websites such as amazon, pixmania etc). Conns, Gunns and Berminghams in the city centre sell them but cost is a little more than if purchased online.

I recommend these cameras because IMHO they are the perfect starting point for any beginner, but at the same time you may feel that you'll never need to upgrade. They are extremely user-friendly and take fantastic pictures.

www.dpreview.com is a good place to research and review most camera models.

Plenty of people on here will recommend Sony, Olympus etc. however I know nothing about their SLR cameras so can't say anything good or bad about them.

Have a good read of this article. It might be about 4 years old but still has very good advice.
    http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-buy-a-dslr-camera

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

charybdis wrote: »
    My, what good freindly Irish advice you've given him!

One year ago.

OP, did you read the sticky?

1) I was on my i-phone and while it's good for typing it's not that good to write out an essay. ;)
    2) I doubt he was a user of this particular forum back then, remember boards.ie is a beast of a billion sub forums!
    3) Bit like "I'm only having 4 pints tonight"

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Item #1 in the FAQ: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55225626&postcount=1 You did read it, didn't you?

If you want to buy a DSLR. Decide on a budget and then have a look at what is available. There is no one-size-fits-all answer to your question. There isn't much to choose between the top brand name DSLRs. I recently bought a Canon 500D as my first DSLR. It produces some nice pictures and I'm quite pleased with it. My friend bought a Nikon D5000 around the same time and it does a fine job too. If I had bought the Nikon, I'm sure I wouldn't have any regrets. Some of the best sample images I have seen in the reviews and photo sharing sites were taken with the Olympus E-6x0. Pissy World and Currys have the E-600 on offer at three hundred and some euro. Other forum members will no doubt recommend other brands like Sony or Pentax.......

The camera comparison page on flickr is a useful resource for comparing the image quality from different models. http://www.flickr.com/cameras/

Steves Digicams and the DPR reviews are quite useful.
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

Make a choice of new or second-camera. Don't forget to consider the extra costs like a camera bag, memory card/s, spare battery, tripod etc.... Also look at price and availability of lenses for the focal lengths that you will be interested in using. Go and buy it and then don't look back. Take some nice photos and enjoy your new camera.

Advertisement