Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Wok Closed?

Options
  • 22-04-2010 1:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

Noticed it closed the last few days, the monitors inside are still on but the doors have been shut. Is it gone? Awful shame, the food wasn't great but nice to start having a bit of choice after the clubs!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

If the food wasn't great then whats the point? I heard it wasn't that cheap either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭duckygalway

Anima wrote: »
    If the food wasn't great then whats the point? I heard it wasn't that cheap either.

AFTER club eating!! Yeah prices were a bit high and lately I noticed they were putting more rice/noodles in, had to ask for extra mix!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Ah it wasn't that bad; their lemon and ginger chicken was yum but at 5.99 for a small portion....bit much maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Don't think its closed, have heard they hired a new chef or menu consultant or something so maybe they're working out the kinks in that...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I don't believe they can just start "working out the Kinks" ...The food was muck and woefully expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The food was muck and woefully expensive.

Like everywhere else in Eyre Square when the pubs and clubs are shut innit.

Abrakecrapera were on that corner for years. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Like everywhere else in Eyre Square when the pubs and clubs are shut innit.

Abrakecrapera were on that corner for years. :D

Ara when ya come out of the pub/club at that hour they could give you a sheet of aeroboard with cheese and curry on it and it would taste lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Charcoal Grill tbh, cheap and delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Anima wrote: »
    Charcoal Grill tbh, cheap and delicious.

Damn you Charcoal Grill, damn you. Will there ever be a fast food related thread on the Galway City forum where your not mentioned.

I think it's gone! As i passed today they were clearing it out and packing all the equipment into a white van!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Now can we have a Wagamama please??:P:pac:

Now can we have a Wagamama please??:P:pac:

YES!!! Love Wagamama!

I really think that a Wagamama would do so well here; I really do.

Or indeed any kind of restaurant like that; even a Yamamori or something.

Street Wok really could have done well if it was any good:(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Damn you Charcoal Grill, damn you. Will there ever be a fast food related thread on the Galway City forum where your not mentioned.

Oh? Is this thread about food?

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I think it's gone! As i passed today they were clearing it out and packing all the equipment into a white van!

I thought you were supposed to be in Oz by now?

Anyway... I can't help feeling bad for the owners. They probably sunk quite a lot of money into this venture and to have it fail after such a short time must be quite disheartening.

Xiney wrote: »
    I thought you were supposed to be in Oz by now?

Anyway... I can't help feeling bad for the owners. They probably sunk quite a lot of money into this venture and to have it fail after such a short time must be quite disheartening.

Volcanic ash delayed me a week! Flying out today... :D

Yeah it's a pity but I believe there's a market too. Wagamama would be sweet!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

It is a shame to see a business opening and failing in such a short space of time:(

There was a niche in the market for something like that, something different to the usual burger/chips etc, and I was delighted to hear when it was opening. Then I tried the food.........

It was terrible, simple as that.

Great idea, but badly executed.

But from the other thread in this forum, I think many people's feelings were well known, and you can't succeed in business like that.

Unfortunately it was only a matter of time really I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

It could have made a killing if the food was any good. Noodles are not hard to do well. But sadly the one night myself and the mrs ate there the food was way below par even for a fast food joint doing noodles.

Wagamama's is nyom. To get our fix in Galway seeing as they are not here yet I just cook it myself :).

Hmmm chilli chicken ramen....

Ya; the Wagamama cookbooks are pretty good actually:)

Still it'd be lovely to have one in town; for lunch, or for a casual bite in the evening it'd be great. Their menu is well priced and the food is lovely(altho not so lovely in their UK branches but the ones here are nice), and it's almost healthy:P.

I reckon if one was to open in Galway it would do so well.

Bring Wagamama to Galway Wagamama people:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

i hear from a friend of a friend they didnt close down by there own choice, ran into problems with the lease. there trying to get back in there but will take a while to sort out in courts. feel sorry for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

While I agree with some peoples sentiments of feeling sorry for the owners I can't help but feel that the business just wasn't up to scratch and therefore it was never going to do well. A lot of people were fairly sympathetic to them at the start, citing that it was just a new business and needed to sort the kinks out but it looked like they never managed to deliver in the end. To be honest we've all been ripped off for too long now in this country and I think people are just getting more fiscal and refused to shell out the fairly large expense for sub-par food to be honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

even a Yamamori or something.(

Yamamori > Wagamama any day, food is much better and the prices are pretty much the same.

Tbh I'd be delighted if either came to Galway:p

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

Wagamama is very good but way over priced. In fact crazy over priced. Noodles, veg and chicken costs very little to put together whether its Street Wok or Wagamama. I've eaten in it 3 times recently and even though it was excellent it was expensive. Da Tang noodle house is a bit more realistic. Minimum price in Wagamama starts at around €13 up as far as €20 or so. Starters are €7/€8!

The best bet for that premises is someone to come in and do noodle dishes at reasonable prices. When I say reasonable, I mean in relation to the price it costs to put together. To put a dish together takes no time if the food is all prepared. Its simple cooking. Two guys behind the counter there whipping up the dishes could turn the orders out fairly quickly.

Beef noodle soup in Wagamama is excellent. Pricey at €19 but one of the best around. If anyone wants to try something fun I'd recommend the Hot Pot in Da Tang. Its fun, filling and well priced at €30 for two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Advertisement