Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Express for Catherine St

Options
  • 22-04-2010 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭

I don't have a link, but i have it on very good authority, that Tesco are looking to put one of their Express stores into the newly built yet still vacant premises on the corner of Catherine and Thomas St. As is to be expected, local businesses aren't too happy at the thought of this and i can see why. Shops such as Gleeson's Spar, Fine Wines, Thomas St Wine Boutique, Eamon Grimes Off Licence, William St Centra and not to mention the one on O'Connell St, will all take a massive hit by the existence of such a shop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Pfft, why feel sorry for the other businesses?

I welcome a Tesco Express there as its a shame to see such a good site left idle and as a consumer its great because i can get things cheaper, i have no sympathy for the other businesses who have been overcharging (which has been well documented in this forum) for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Pfft, why feel sorry for the other businesses?

I welcome a Tesco Express there as its a shame to see such a good site left idle and as a consumer its great because i can get things cheaper, i have no sympathy for the other businesses who have been overcharging (which has been well documented in this forum) for years.
    If I can help it, i'd rather support local Irish business than a multinational like Tesco. This could and probably will lead to job losses in the surrounding businesses, i hope from that point of view it doesn't get the go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I remember this mentioned on here a good while back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

grenache wrote: »
    I don't have a link, but i have it on very good authority, that Tesco are looking to put one of their Express stores into the newly built yet still vacant premises on the corner of Catherine and Thomas St. As is to be expected, local businesses aren't too happy at the thought of this and i can see why. Shops such as Gleeson's Spar, Fine Wines, Thomas St Wine Boutique, Eamon Grimes Off Licence, William St Centra and not to mention the one on O'Connell St, will all take a massive hit by the existence of such a shop.

I heard that 2 years ago from my aunt who also heard from a "reliable" source, a couple of hairdressers in a well known Thomas St salon.

Not sure how true it is.
    Sure it was on the paper last year that a medical centre would occupy the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

How feasable is this plan considering that there is no real car park facilities outside that building and given the width of the road now that Thomas/Catherine Street have been made more pedestrian friendly?

Can you imagine the caos caused by all those yummy mummy mobilies abandoned outside the front door while they pop in for groceries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

bazz26 wrote: »
    How feasable is this plan considering that there is no real car park facilities outside that building and given the width of the road now that Thomas/Catherine Street have been made more pedestrian friendly?

Can you imagine the caos caused by all those yummy mummy mobilies abandoned outside the front door while they pop in for groceries?

Bazz they're only talking about a tesco express, basically a tesco newsagents, they're not stocked enough for a full grocery shop.

I've already made my feelings clear on another thread about how much i dislike the local shops because of their over charging. I whole heartedly welcome this development if it is indeed true.If local businesses are worried about loosing business then maybe they will be more inclined to reduce their prices to something that can be afforded by the regular folk of this city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

grenache wrote: »

Does this mean the end of our opportunity to pay hugely over the odds for everyday groceries because we have opted for 'convenience' over value?

- I'd love to see Tesco Express beat these Thieving Businesses at their own sorry little game.

Raiser wrote: »
    Does this mean the end of our opportunity to pay hugely over the odds for everyday groceries because we have opted for 'convenience' over value?

- I'd love to see Tesco Express beat these Thieving Businesses at their own sorry little game.

I'm all for competition and fair pricing, but I'm not mad keen on these "chain" stores coming over and threatening the local businesses that are there providing employment in the city center for years. There ain't too many independent grocery stores left now, independent retailers just can't compete with the buying power of Tecso, Centra etc....

Ever walk down Oxford street in London? It's like a scene from a cheap cartoon where the same background is used over and over again. H&M, River Island, Vodafone, Top Shop, La Senza, H&M, River Island, Vodafone, Top Shop, La Senza,H&M, River Island, Vodafone, Top Shop, La Senza.

Granted this will put it up to the likes of Spar (which I am in favour of) but remember it will also probably put that little newsagents beside the Knock shop out of business too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I agree with the fact that its a shame that local business could be affected by this but at the end of the day I'm a student living in a recession, therefore i'm looking for the best price and tesco definetly offer that. I'm all for it, also they will provide some more employment into the city which needs any bit of new business setting up, even if it's tesco.

I agree with the fact that its a shame that local business could be affected by this but at the end of the day I'm a student living in a recession, therefore i'm looking for the best price and tesco definetly offer that. I'm all for it, also they will provide some more employment into the city which needs any bit of new business setting up, even if it's tesco.

During a recession is the best time to be a student. Everything is way cheaper now, try being a student living during a boom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Who is to say that the court will approve their application for off license trade?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    I'm all for competition and fair pricing, but I'm not mad keen on these "chain" stores coming over and threatening the local businesses that are there providing employment in the city center for years. There ain't too many independent grocery stores left now, independent retailers just can't compete with the buying power of Tecso, Centra etc....

Ever walk down Oxford street in London? It's like a scene from a cheap cartoon where the same background is used over and over again. H&M, River Island, Vodafone, Top Shop, La Senza, H&M, River Island, Vodafone, Top Shop, La Senza,H&M, River Island, Vodafone, Top Shop, La Senza.

Granted this will put it up to the likes of Spar (which I am in favour of) but remember it will also probably put that little newsagents beside the Knock shop out of business too.

Its not just about economies of scale though is it? These Business models are pinned on the principle that People who are in a hurry or don't have a car or whatever will pay significantly inflated prices simply because they are compromised, being lazy or simply don't realise it.

I'm also just not keen on keeping very wealthy Business owners in new 7 Series's based on an argument that they in turn employ 3 People on the minimum wage.

- When People are counting their pennies day to day just to get by then Business can either start offering value or else shut up shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Im not even going to comment until i at least see a sign that says tesco above the door..

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Berty wrote: »
    Who is to say that the court will approve their application for off license trade?

The judge, I would imagine

Roadend wrote: »
    The judge, I would imagine

You know what I mean. It's not written in stone that just because a shop opens that they will be assured a license to sell alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

I think this is the application...
    http://www.limerick.ie/eplan/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=1064&LASiteID=0

GVA Planning & Regeneration Ltd are listed as agents.... think they act on behalf of Tesco... im sure a good google session would tell all !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

What is the need for a Tesco Express in that location? Use the Tesco in Arthurs Quay.

Before long this entire city will be nothing but Tesco, Dunnes, Lidl, Aldi, Spar and Euro stores.

We haven't even got the present population to support all of the existing ones let alone new ones! They are a plague on this city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

Raiser wrote: »

say it isnt sooooooooo:D
    Berty wrote: »
    well id imagine that they would have a mass license for off license sales the way the likes of all spars or cetras would

Icky Thump wrote: »

well id imagine that they would have a mass license for off license sales the way the likes of all spars or cetras would

Im not sure about Tesco but Spar, Centra symbol stores do not have a multiple license.

Example the recently discussed store on Henry St needed one license, his brother on Catherine St needed another and their new store in Castletroy needed another.

BWG, Musgrave, Barrys of Mallow and other cash and carrys only operate the brand names and the store owners operate everything else and must simply follow the marketing and prices of the group. Everything else is the shop's problem.

The Henry St off License nearly didn't get the license and only got a wine license to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

i was walking past that building and saw it being done up inside, next thing now is..where do i send my cv!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

If this place is going to be anything like the one near Westbury then I cant see many customers using it, over priced and poor quality in their fresh fruit or veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I heard that 2 years ago from my aunt who also heard from a "reliable" source, a couple of hairdressers in a well known Thomas St salon.
    I have seen a copy of an email sent by a prominent local business man; i would not post a thread on here if i had no concrete proof and was merely going on hearsay. It IS happening.
    Not always. And if you want, go the Tesco in Arthurs Quay. Or the Dunnes in Harveys Quay, there's no shortage of them in the city as it is. Big businesses are taking over and its time to put a stop to it. Tesco may create new jobs there but the knock-on effect is that local businesses will let some of theirs go.

Also, i see people complaining about local businesses over-charging and ripping people off, that is not the case. It is the case however that the big supermarket chains have been under-charging since the Groceries Order was abolished in 2007 - until then it was illegal to sell below cost. Its not hard to for Tesco and Dunnes to sell so cheaply when they buy in bulk and receive large discounts for doing so, discounts which can then be passed onto the customer - the smaller shops don't have this option and have to charge their customers more, its either that or they go out of business. Economies of Scale is the main thing at play here. I'd rather support my local supermarket/offie than multinationals like Tesco or Aldi, who repatriate their profits back to Britain and Germany. Likewise when i'm in a pub, i don't mind paying a few cents extra for a superior local Irish brew like Galway Hooker or O'Haras rather than the international piss that is Heineken or Budweiser. Keep it Irish, keep it local.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I see this boards.ie topic has made news headlines! Although I would question is it lazy journalism copying and pasting opinions from a discussion forum just to fill space on a newspaper? Or is this the way 21st century media operates? Anyway, Tesco have played down their intentions. I guess until planning permission is decided they will pass no comment on it.http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Tesco-plays-down-rumours-of.6263424.jp

The Indo is a terror for using rumours from boards.ie

Radio stations are awful as well for floating around "After Hours" for funny items in their shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

That is the height of laziness from the Limerick Leader. I don't like the idea of their "journalists" crawling through here looking for an easy way to write an article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭irishleedsfan

That annoyed me now. If i went to the doctor and said ive a pain "oh hang on ill goggle it" That reporter is getting paid to copy and paste. Disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

RonMexico wrote: »
    That is the height of laziness from the Limerick Leader. I don't like the idea of their "journalists" crawling through here looking for an easy way to write an article.
    That annoyed me now. If i went to the doctor and said ive a pain "oh hang on ill goggle it" That reporter is getting paid to copy and paste. Disgrace

Not in the least bit surprised.

Advertisement