Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Media and Spurs

Options
  • 22-04-2010 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

The media and Spurs

We all know it. They hate us. If they can avoid giving us credit, they will. If there’s a chance for a bit of a snipe, they’ll take it. Even-handedness ? What’s that when you’re discussing Tottenham?

We all know who the culprits are, don’t we ? Lawrenson, Gray, Dixon and Keown. Pretty well all the journos at the Guardian and Independent. Drury and Beglin on ITV (does the “I” stand for idiot ?). Whether they are predicting that we’ll lose at the weekend, that we won’t get 4th place in the Premier League or that, even if we had just won a game, it was because the other team were “weakened by injuries”, we know that they are always going to have a go at us.

In the case of Lawrenson, you just have to accept that he will predict defeats for us, even if the form book suggests otherwise. My theory is that he hasn’t forgiven us for showing up his defending when we beat Liverpool 2-0 in the early eighties. There is famous footage from that match, where Hansen has a real go at him and I don’t suppose their relationship has been the same since.

The pathological hatred from Gray is a difficult one though. He played for Villa, Wolves and Everton and, as far as I am aware, there has never been intense rivalry between those clubs and ours. Nope. Don’t get it. Dixon and Keown being teamed up as a double act. Now, what’s that about ? A suspicion has to be that there are lots of Gooner producers within the Corporation’s walls. How else to explain how these two vitriolic Goons are allowed to comment on the fortunes of their ex-team’s fiercest rivals ?

I’ll be honest. Amy Lawrence of the Observer, admits her support of the Goons. However, her reporting is mostly even handed. Yet, look elsewhere at the liberal end of the quality press and you’d think by their coverage that they all live within the N5 environs. Read anything by James Lawton, Glenn Moore or Sam Wallace, at the Independent, if you don’t believe me.

Take the last five days, for instance. In the FA Cup semi-final, anybody who understands the game could tell, from very early on, that Alan Wiley was going to give everything to Portsmouth. Advantage not played, several times, with the man in black calling play back when we were in very promising positions. On one occasion it was to warn Michael Brown. Later, this same player went through the back of Kranjcar, putting him out of the game (and, it would appear, for the rest of the season), without even incurring a free kick, let alone the booking he deserved. Two minutes later, Portsmouth were given a free kick for a non-foul by Dawson, from which they scored. None of this featured in the match report in the Independent by Sam Wallace. It was all glossed over.

Crouch’s disallowed goal was given a mention as, along with many other things that have gone against us at critical times, it was very blatantly the wrong decision. The Palacios tackle, where he played the ball but was penalised, was again dealt with as though there was no controversy. He played the ball. The photo next to the report actually showed his foot making contact with the ball yet it was still not worthy of discussion ! The booking amnesty was almost upon us so this was the last chance for the powers that be to weaken an already depleted Spurs team by removing their anchorman from the “easy” games against Arsenal and Chelsea. As last man, if it was a foul, surely he should have walked ? Ah, but you can appeal against a red card but not a booking. “Sorry, not interested. It does not compute. We love Arsenal”.

For further illustration, read Sam Wallace’s (him again) match report from the North London derby. We only beat them because they were severely depleted by injuries. Corluka, Woodgate, Lennon, Kranjcar and Palacios are clearly no more than squad players as far as this one-eyed Gooner is concerned.

Why do all these people and institutions hate us ? A threat to the Sky 4 cartel ? Do we have lots of insufferably cocky supporters ? Or is it something more sinister, that dare not speak its name ?

http://www.topspurs.com/thfccol-guest.htm

Interesting post on Jim Duggan's Topspurs. Personally, I really can identify and agree with a lot of the points he makes. I've followed Spurs for over 30 years and feel we are generally hard done by when it comes to the media. Sure we know with the irish media if Man U or Liverpool win they're always gonna get a double page spread the day after but most weeks if we win then we'd hardly get more column inches then say Burnley, Wolves or Blacburn.

It's got worse since Sky took the monoply of the english football but there was always an undercurrent even before. Is it because Spurs have never been that clicky with the English FA old school tie establishment or maybe something else? I don't know but it makes you wonder though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭golfball37

Spurs have always been the most hated club in London, something I'm really proud of. You'd be surprised how many people actually feel Spurs get far too much column inches for what they have achieved on the pitch over the years.

We are the equivalent of Dublin Footballers and Tipperary hurlers, big mouths & ego despite not really having a history of winning much recently. I wouldn't suport anyone else tbh.

A lot of the resentment towards Spurs comes from jealousy anyway, the glamour image and the fact the club has bever been short of a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I can't say I like this article. It's very much a 'poor me, I support Spurs and we're always getting grief' thing. Contrary to what he's written, whenever I've watched MOTD and Spurs were featured, I've found Hansen, Shearer, Dixon, et al all very praising of our play and our team, to the extent that I was surprised on occasion, particularly when coming from ex-Arsenal players.

Match reports are nearly always going to be clouded by bias when written by a fan of the losing team. It shouldn't happen as commentaries are supposed to be neutral, but sub-consciously there will always be a bias towards the team you support. That's why the reports should be taken with a pinch of salt. I think the media have actually warmed to us this season, particularly lately thanks to our results. Fans of other clubs seem to have warmed to us too - I've never seen so many people wishing for Spurs to finish 4th in the Soccer forum!

As Spurs fans we'll always be liable for a bit of stick. If we don't make 4th this season, we'll never hear the end of it. On the other hand, if we succeed in getting into 4th spot, the media will be singing our praises - until we get knocked out in the qualifiers! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

A load of old tosh. Since when are we the most hated team in London ? News to me if we are. I can think of 3 or 4 clubs that would be ahead of us on that list.

The reason the pundits have predicted defeat so much, is probably because it has been true, and we have let ourselves down time after time when looking like doing something.

MAYBE this time, we can finally do something that will make them all take note....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I love reading Jim's editorials - he's usually bang on the money.
    Top fella too.

Don't fully agree that we're hated as much has he suggestes but we are definaltely not liked by most in the British media IMO, no idea why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭golfball37

Hatch99 wrote: »
    A load of old tosh. Since when are we the most hated team in London ? News to me if we are. I can think of 3 or 4 clubs that would be ahead of us on that list.

Any Arsenal, Chelsea or West Ham fan I know of would cite Spurs as the London club they hate the most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Hatch99 wrote: »

Disagree with you their Hatch

Amongst the big London clubs (Arsenal, Chelsea and West Ham) we certainly are the most hated. I'm saying they would see us as their biggest rival in terms of footballing terms (i.e. Man U, Cheslsea, Arsenal) but if you asked their fans which London team they love to beat more than anyone else, then it would be us.

In regards to the Topspurs post, like I say "I really can identify and agree with a lot of the points he makes". I certainly agree about the likes of Lawrenson, Gray, Dixon, Keown and Beglin. Theyre are always quick to jump on Spurs but not so quick to give praise where it's due. As for the newspaper journos, well, we've always had a bad relationship with them, which got worse when Sugar gave El Tel boot and the journos stopped getting their free entry and complimentary drinks at his nightclub Scribes.

I won't even mention the fools on Rte & TV3, as they are so far up the hole of Man U & L'Pool that they'll never see the light of day.

golfball37 wrote: »
    Any Arsenal, Chelsea or West Ham fan I know of would cite Spurs as the London club they hate the most.

Maybe, maybe not, it's all about opinions. And to say that it is about jealousy is laughable. I dont think Arsenal or Chelsea fans would be very jealous of us do you !!!

RichMc70 wrote: »
    Disagree with you their Hatch

Amongst the big London clubs (Arsenal, Chelsea and West Ham) we certainly are the most hated. I'm saying they would see us as their biggest rival in terms of footballing terms (i.e. Man U, Cheslsea, Arsenal) but if you asked their fans which London team they love to beat more than anyone else, then it would be us.

In regards to the Topspurs post, like I say "I really can identify and agree with a lot of the points he makes". I certainly agree about the likes of Lawrenson, Gray, Dixon, Keown and Beglin. Theyre are always quick to jump on Spurs but not so quick to give praise where it's due. As for the newspaper journos, well, we've always had a bad relationship with them, which got worse when Sugar gave El Tel boot and the journos stopped getting their free entry and complimentary drinks at his nightclub Scribes.

I won't even mention the fools on Rte & TV3, as they are so far up the hole of Man U & L'Pool that they'll never see the light of day.

To be honest mate, I try jot to read that tripe in the papers, one week they are saying how bad we are and we are a joke, the next week, the same idiots are writing how Harry should be manager of the year and that we are going to control English football in the near future :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

I love reading Jim's editorials - he's usually bang on the money.
    Top fella too.

Don't fully agree that we're hated as much has he suggestes but we are definaltely not liked by most in the British media IMO, no idea why ?

Shane
    article wasn't written by Jim Duggan. It's a guest column artucke written by Toby Pierides.

On the general point I don't give a monkeys what the media think of us. it doesn't matter a jot either way. I'd say the spammers definetly hate us and the kings road lot hate us for our history. as for the goons we're more an irritation to them than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

While watching the FA cup games on ITV I have to say Jim Beglin sickened me,wtf is his problem with Spurs I can't make out what we did to him.Phil Thomson on Sky is another one that seems to be anti Spurs.Allthough I did hear Eamonn Dunphy on the radio this evening giving us great praise for our last couple of performances and tipping us to beat UTD at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

golfball37 wrote: »
    Spurs have always been the most hated club in London, something I'm really proud of. You'd be surprised how many people actually feel Spurs get far too much column inches for what they have achieved on the pitch over the years.

We are the equivalent of Dublin Footballers and Tipperary hurlers, big mouths & ego despite not really having a history of winning much recently. I wouldn't suport anyone else tbh.

A lot of the resentment towards Spurs comes from jealousy anyway, the glamour image and the fact the club has bever been short of a few quid.
    Your right about the Tipp hurlers,all the referees hate us,they give us nothing.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

oh dear. dont start talking about hurling please

me from limerick :-)

Advertisement