Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

CIE wrote: »
    Why let the bus company win? How do you just sit idly by and let them go from a ten-minute service to almost no service? Doesn't make sense to me. You do know what I mean by "bad politics", I hope?

No, I'm afraid I don't. Richard Boyd-Barrett obviously doesn't give a toss for the 45 service either as he only seems to be concerned about the people in Monkstown Farm, is that what you mean by 'bad politics'?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

Their maintenance of the network direct site is a bit of a joke!

The changes to the malahide road corridor announced in may were highlighted on a news item.

But the network direct malahide road page still refers to the december changes (ie 27x cancellation, 104 not serving clare hall, 14 not serving ardlea road)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭A2000

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/Routes-5-7-7a-7b-7d-8-11a-and-11b-changes/

Changes up for 7 7B 7D 8 & 11. 7 retains hourly service to cherrywood. 11 frequency 20 mins peak 30 off peak. 8 doesnt seem to have improved any.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

A2000 wrote: »

So much for 60 minutely off peak. Correct me if I am wrong but, 60 minutely on peak and 60 minutely off peak implies an all day service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

I don't think it matters if there's some other page to give it context. The point is that the map they have planned for Merrion Rd is missing the second-most-frequent route on it. I can't see any good reason for leaving such a route out. Space to fit in the 4 at least doesn't look like much of an issue.

The previous page is here, which doesn't give any reason why routes 4 or 47 aren't on that map. So your point, that there's no reason not to include the 4 or 47, is completely valid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I would imagine that it will be on the map that goes onto bus stops - this is just a representation for the changes taking place now.

Much better late evening service on route 7 with no 30 minute gaps any more, and good to see an hourly Cherrywood service being maintained.

The 11 is actually every 15 minutes southbound in the morning peak and also northbound in the afternoon for those buses that would be going through the city centre in the evening peak.

Again a simple clockface timetable with standard interval departures on both routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

NuMarvel wrote: »
    The previous page is here, which doesn't give any reason why routes 4 or 47 aren't on that map. So your point, that there's no reason not to include the 4 or 47, is completely valid.
    That page links to the map version from 15th June. I can't find what was on the previous map.

But ixflyer is right, what goes on bus stops may be the accurate version of what routes serve Merrion Rd. I'll wait and see. (I still wish they never changed the damn maps, the small map of the immediate area was very handy but that's not so relevant to this discussion)

Most disingenuously of Dublin Bus, there are only two half hour periods in the whole day which have a frequency of 10 minutes for the revised 7 route. Compare it with the old timetable where there were more departures 10 minutes apart and even a 5 minute departure spacing at one point. The new timetable looks better for departures from 5pm to 5.30pm and the same as or better in the evenings which is important but it seems to be worse than the old timetable before 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

The clondalkin/ballymun map is now on the page. http://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/6784/Map.pdf Just to be pedantic,

the 68 now goes to the blanchardstown centre!

The 68 and 69 will now go from hawking street :D

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭qerty

thomasj wrote: »
    The clondalkin/ballymun map is now on the page. http://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/6784/Map.pdf Just to be pedantic,

the 68 now goes to the blanchardstown centre!

The 68 and 69 will now go from hawking street :D

The 68 will also terminate alongside the 13 in grange castle and the 76 wont operate via Neilstown road, even though it will do exactly that to operate to Ballyfermot/Chapelizod ;D

The 13 will operate via Home Farm too :P

• Advertisement

According to routing 76 is serving Neilstown and Liffey Valley on its way to Ballyfermot and so is branching off too early on the map. This will cut 15 mins of the 78A journey from LV to Ballyfermot and will be welcomed by many who do the needless Neilstown loop in both directions daily. 68 is reverting back to serving Woodford.

According to routing 76 is serving Neilstown and Liffey Valley on its way to Ballyfermot and so is branching off too early on the map. This will cut 15 mins of the 78A journey from LV to Ballyfermot and will be welcomed by many who do the needless Neilstown loop in both directions daily. 68 is reverting back to serving Woodford.

Not too sure about the 76 serving liffey valley??? I know it says that in the revised plans but that would involve circling roundabouts to serve the bus stop and adds time onto the journey to tallaght or vice versa. I think the 76a will serve LV and the 76 will stay on the coldcut road. Either way the map is wrong and DB aren't being very clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Where is the 78a mentioned?

The 76 used to say it served Liffey valley when in reality it just served a stop near it on the Coldcut road

The new 40 is still following exactly the same route from Liffey Valley through Neilstown to the city centre as the 78a - where did you get the idea that it was changing?

You could not remove that loop as there are far too many people using it.

They aren't proofing these maps very well at all.

76 could go into Liffey Valley the way 210 does and would double back on itself. Or could turn left onto coldcut road from Neilstown road right onto fonthill rd and into Liffey Valley that way and on to Ballyfermot by B&Q? Towards Tallaght it would have to double back once in Liffey Valley unless they put a stop on the opposite side of the road. Hopefully its not a mistake and they plan an all day service to LV from Tallaght between 76 & 76A. Theres also the bus stop in Liffey Valley between the 2 car parks thats been there 13 years and never been used.

I wasnt suggesting removing the Neilstown loop just that if the 76 is serving Liffey Valley on its way to Ballyfermot then it would be no longer necessary for passengers to Ballyfermot to do the loop on the 78A as 76 would be more direct. Large population of people travel from Ballyfermot to Liffey Valley and a shorter alternative would be greatly appreciated.

lxflyer wrote: »
    The new 40 is still following exactly the same route from Liffey Valley through Neilstown to the city centre as the 78a - where did you get the idea that it was changing?

You could not remove that loop as there are far too many people using it.

That is not what he is suggesting. He did not mention the 40 at all. He is refering to the fact that the 78a uses the loop at all times and for people going to liffey valley from inchicore/Ballyfermot etc. it adds additional time to get to LV unless you get off at the coldcut and walk across.

He is suggesting that the 76/a will operate via LV at all times and will this route option will cut 15 minutes off the journey to LV for people from Ballyfermot. The point was the map is wrong.

I wasnt suggesting removing the 78A from the loop just that if 76 serves LV on the way to Ballyfermot then this would be a more direct alternative for people going from Liffey Valley to Ballyfermot. 76 could operate left from neilstown rd onto coldcut rd right to fonthill rd and into liffey valley. They may even make use of the stop thats been in liffey valley between the 2 car parks since the centre opened and has never been used.

Thats it in a nutshell qerty thank you

Ah yes that makes more sense.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

New Timetables now up:
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/Routes-5-7-7a-7b-7d-8-11a-and-11b-changes/

Notable changes since they published the final plans see the 8 running at best every 75 minutes rather than 60 minutes.

Seems that once again the network direct proposals published only this week are different to the actual timetables which are implemented, either a late change of heart, or once again they are trying to spin things to be better than they actually are rather than being honest with their customers.

I liked the line on the item that said these changes will provide better COMFORT for passengers, how does that work then?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

devnull wrote: »
    I liked the line on the item that said these changes will provide better COMFORT for passengers, how does that work then?

I asked this previously, apparently double deckers are somehow more comfortable than other types,don't ask me how...

4 EXTRA 7s a day, what happened to every ten mins?
    that's with a loss of 4 7a, so no improvement at all, just a re jig to clockface.
    no route change to cutout the slow bits, why did they even bother?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

And with no extra buses and with better evening frequencies, peak times will suffer. I wish those who get a bus from the Merrion Rd. QBC into the city centre between 3 to 5pm every sympathy...

New Timetables now up:

Notable changes since they published the final plans see the 8 running at best every 75 minutes rather than 60 minutes.

Seems that once again the network direct proposals published only this week are different to the actual timetables which are implemented, either a late change of heart, or once again they are trying to spin things to be better than they actually are rather than being honest with their customers.

I know. It's a major disappointment to say the least. I thought they were going to be running the number 8 bus into the evening as well. Also, still the same situation of no services at the weekend. I cannot believe that I got my hopes up when I saw 60 minutely on-peak and 60 minutely off-peak. I am now dreading the thought of seeing the "adjusted" 59. The only saving grace is the fact that there are 2 additional northbound journeys to the number 8 and a somewhat more even spread of departure times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Well, there goes my very bloody useful 1945 and 2045 departures of the 11/b from Wadelai to get me to Drumcondra station in plenty of time for the 2010 and 2110 trains... :mad:

Time to go peruse the new draft timetables for the Western Commuter line to see how well times may sync up in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

I asked this previously, apparently double deckers are somehow more comfortable than other types,don't ask me how...
    I hope it's not the "logic" about longer wheelbases resulting in a more comfortable ride. If the suspension is cheap, then the ride is going to be rough no matter how long the wheelbase.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It is annoying and disgraceful the way their website proclaims that "Dublin are pleased to announce..." before going on to say how they are going to decimate our bus services. They should be saying that "Dublin Bus are ashamed to announce..." It is a bit like a doctor saying to a healthy person "I am pleased to announce that we are going to amputate your leg." As if that isn't bad enough Dublin Bus then try to tell us that by cutting some services, re-routing some away from previously well served areas and removing some routes completely this will be an improvement. That's like that doctor trying to tell the person that after his leg is cut off he'll be able to get around better and more efficiently. I suppose that is because as he only has one leg to work with it will save him the energy that he used to move two of them. Crazy logic yes, but no crazier that what Dublin Bus gives us every time they make one of their announcements. Network They Wrecked strikes again.

I couldn't agree with you more coylemj. The 46A re-route up Kill Avenue is an improvement as it knocks between 10-15 minutes off the journey length. The people who live along this road don't seem to realize how short the walk is to Kill Avenue and indeed Monkstown Avenue. The same thing goes for those living along Monkstown Avenue and Abbey Road. Aside from the elderly and disabled living in Monkstown Farm, others living along this road
    are incredibly lazy and need to get real. Monkstown Farm isn't the "be-all and end-all" for public transport requirements as the 63 still feeds the residents to the DART, LUAS and the abundance of other bus routes in the area. Furthermore, it is only half a mile in length and incredibly narrow in places. Nevertheless, they have a fantastic transport system in place with the high-frequency 4, 46A, 75, 63, the soon to be 175 and the DART in close walking distance.

I still maintain that re-routing the 46A was a brilliant idea. I also still think that Monkstown Farm is spoiled for choice when it comes to public transport given the close proximity to some of the most frequent routes in Dublin Bus's network. I can walk the entire length of this road in 10 minutes.
    They'll soon have an hourly 8 bus too.

I take this back, though.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭SparkyTech

Found this little jem on youtube...Monkstown protests in action!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

SparkyTech wrote: »
    Found this little jem on youtube...Monkstown protests in action!

if i was driving that bus i know i would've put the foot down.... HARD !

ah ok no i wouldnt really but i would atleast keep crawling right through them and even if i had to push them out of the way... one way or another they will move !

but anyway.. small amount of people... no one is gonna give a rats arse....

"ooh no a 10 minute walk to the bus stop" - would ya ever feck off ya lazy cow !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

"ooh no a 10 minute walk to the bus stop" - would ya ever feck off ya lazy cow
    Sure, right into the driver's seat of a car and resulting in less revenue for DB. And when it's the drivers' turn to protest job cuts, then what? Get the forsaí cosanta to drive into them with armed cars...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

New Timetables now up:

Moving the 7d 735 service to 720 seems foolish to me. A lot of the passengers on this bus are schoolkids who would be getting into school early enough on the present timetable, moving the service to 720 means they'll be in school even earlier, might not suit a lot of them.

I still think the 8 route could be looked at again but very annoying that the proposed increase in services mentioned last week is gone again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement