Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

qerty wrote: »
    The 13 will operate via Home Farm too :P

Are you sure?

According to the following it looks like it will operate via Griffith Avenue:
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Network-Direct/Network-Direct-Phase-2/Finglas-East--Glasnevin--Drumcondra/

Route 13
    IKEA » Balbutcher Lane » Ballymun Shopping Centre » Ballymun Road (DCU) » Griffith Avenue >> O’Connell Street » Dame Street » St. James’s Hospital » Inchicore » Naas Road » Woodford Walk » Watery Lane » Clondalkin Village » Convent Road » Bawnogue » Grange Castle

To be honest operating via Griffith Avenue makes a lot more sense, having at least one bus service operate via Griffith Avenue rather then both the 11 and 13 by Home Farm Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Moving the 7d 735 service to 720 seems foolish to me. A lot of the passengers on this bus are schoolkids who would be getting into school early enough on the present timetable, moving the service to 720 means they'll be in school even earlier, might not suit a lot of them.

buses full of school kids don't make money and annoy respectable commuters
    plus they should all be walking / cycling to school anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

buses full of school kids don't make money and annoy respectable commuters
    plus they should all be walking / cycling to school anyway :D

well they do annoy me (whether I'm respectable or not is another question), especially paying by cash every single fecking day.

but in fairness for a good proportion of them it's a fair trek to donnybrook or scoil iosagain.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭qerty

bk wrote: »
    Are you sure?

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Network-Direct/Network-Direct-Phase-2/Finglas-East--Glasnevin--Drumcondra/

Route 13
    IKEA » Balbutcher Lane » Ballymun Shopping Centre » Ballymun Road (DCU) » Griffith Avenue >> O’Connell Street » Dame Street » St. James’s Hospital » Inchicore » Naas Road » Woodford Walk » Watery Lane » Clondalkin Village » Convent Road » Bawnogue » Grange Castle

To be honest operating via Griffith Avenue makes a lot more sense, having at least one bus service operate via Griffith Avenue rather then both the 11 and 13 by Home Farm Road.

It was sarcasm relating to a post I was replying to hahaha.
    The updated Clondalkin/Ballymun map shows the 13 operating via Homefarm but It wont be. It also shows the 17a turning into the 68 half way along the journey ;D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 T1978

I live in ballycullen where we have had to suffer almost 2 years of roadworks(still not complete) for a "quality" bus corridor that will now be almost entirely bypassed if dublin bus implement their proposed merge of the 74 and 15 routes. the proposed amalgamation has bizarrely favoured the use of the highly congested, one lane colmcilles way before joining the equally congested knocklyon road, also single lane. I can't write much because it is so baffling and frustrating.

can anyone affected by this please contact Brian lawlor, or Brian Hayes of fine gael, or any other local politician as I will be.

can this country ever do anything smart for once?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I can't believe they're planning to amalgamate the 74a and the 15b and run the new bus along the terrible, lengthy 15b route, as well as dropping frequency to every 30mins. The transport to and from Ballyroan and Ballyboden is already terrible enough as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

robbie_998 wrote: »
    if i was driving that bus i know i would've put the foot down.... HARD !

but anyway.. small amount of people... no one is gonna give a rats arse....

"ooh no a 10 minute walk to the bus stop" - would ya ever feck off ya lazy cow !

An Interesting Video sure'nuff,but for different reasons in my opinion.

There appears to be some form of mental block here which has locked people into some part of the 1960's and which the likes of Mr Boyd Barrett encourages in some intriguing attempt to make political capital.

Monkstown Farm has,under Mr Boyd Barretts watch become a non-runner for high-frequency bi-directional Bus Services simply because it cannot cater safely for these movements.

The alternative replacement route is both safe and highly-effective having,as it does,significant elements of Bus Priority built in.

In addition the 63 route,so easily dismissed by some of the protesters caters quite beasily for these people who require the Local Shuttle type of service to serve their needs.

The Gentleman giving-out about the 63 going to Carrickmines is of course correct,but he fails to add that the 63,46A and 75 share the entire stretch of route from DunLaoire to DeansGrange with only the Monkstown Farm element in dispute.

This man along with the young student lady, has several Bus-Stops where he can transfer (admittedly not an Irish practice) between the routes if he absolutely must do so.

What appears to be frustrating Mr Boyd-Barrett and others is the wider success of the general Kill Avenue re-routing,which is allowing other 46A customers to reap some belated benefit from Network Direct at long last.

If Mr Boyd Barrett really wanted to be constructive about the broader issues he could perhaps take a little time-out from Protesting in general,and instead apply his considerable administrative powers to the issues surrounding WHY Dublin Bus were forced to act on the Monkstown Farm issue,however that might bring him into conflict with some of the local car-owning protesters too.;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    If Mr Boyd Barrett really wanted to be constructive about the broader issues he could perhaps take a little time-out from Protesting in general,and instead apply his considerable administrative powers to the issues surrounding WHY Dublin Bus were forced to act on the Monkstown Farm issue,however that might bring him into conflict with some of the local car-owning protesters too.;)

or perhaps he can do his job as a TD and stop dealing with local issues and concentrate on national ones. That or give up his seat and go back to being a councillor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,315 ✭✭✭markpb

or perhaps he can do his job as a TD and stop dealing with local issues and concentrate on national ones. That or give up his seat and go back to being a councillor.

That's normally true but DB is a company owned by the government, not by the local authorities :)

markpb wrote: »
    That's normally true but DB is a company owned by the government, not by the local authorities :)

Well then address the Transport Minister in the Dail or his offices, don't just bypass the government when you are a member of the same government to go out on a personal crusade when the vast majority of people are happy with the changes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Are you sure?

Route 13

Maps now corrected. Route 13 will use Griffith Avenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,472 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Well then address the Transport Minister in the Dail or his offices, don't just bypass the government when you are a member of the same government to go out on a personal crusade when the vast majority of people are happy with the changes

Whingers, malcontents and 'me feiners' are the people who vote for RBB so he cares more about them than people who look at the bigger picture and see that the changes to the 46A are for the greater good.

Sadly the Irish view of democracy is that TDs are there to pander to every trivial demand and whim so RBB is out defending the indefensible simply because those people who bang the drum loudest get his attention and he in turn sees an opportunity for self-promotion and media exposure, that's how the system works when you're an independent TD, otherwise you haven't a hope of getting re-elected.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Maps now corrected. Route 13 will use Griffith Avenue.

Thanks, that is great.

But I find these maps a little strange. Looking at this map you would think the 13 is the only route that stops at the corner of Griffith Avenue and Swords Road.

But in fact, the 3, 16 and 41 all will do as well.

I assume it is down to some mysterious internal Dublin Bus reason (depot or something) but it really doesn't make much sense from a customer point of view.

I assume when ND is complete, maps like these will be created for each bus stop indicating the routes that actually pass the stop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

although I do support alot of RBB's opinions and policies, this is one that I can't subscribe to.
    when the 46a was going through The Farm at peak times it took 15 minutes to get from the bottom of Kill Avenue, up to Baker's Corner. now it'll take 5 at the most.

it supposedly inconveniences everyone living in The Farm, but then you have to remember:

- alot of them were going to Dun Laoghaire, who now still have the 63
    - alot of people getting on/off using the old route did so at the Kill Avenue end of The Farm, and only have to walk and extra 2 minutes around the corner
    - if someone is going to the City Centre, they also have the 4 on Monkstown Avenue

overall it's a very small number of people who are effected, compared to the hundreds/thousands of people who will benefit.
    with the poor turnout of that protest it really shows too

(btw, until the 145 was brought in I used to walk 20 minutes from Cabinteely to Foxrock Church for a 46a)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,824 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Thanks, that is great.

But I find these maps a little strange. Looking at this map you would think the 13 is the only route that stops at the corner of Griffith Avenue and Swords Road.

But in fact, the 3, 16 and 41 all will do as well.

I assume it is down to some mysterious internal Dublin Bus reason (depot or something) but it really doesn't make much sense from a customer point of view.

I assume when ND is complete, maps like these will be created for each bus stop indicating the routes that actually pass the stop?

These maps are done for each section that is being reviewed, which in this case is Ballymun and Clondalkin - hence only the routes affecting those areas are included.

In due course when the network redesign is finished full maps for each stop/area will I believe be done which will have all the relevant routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

although I do support alot of RBB's opinions and policies, this is one that I can't subscribe to.
    when the 46a was going through The Farm at peak times it took 15 minutes to get from the bottom of Kill Avenue, up to Baker's Corner. now it'll take 5 at the most.

it supposedly inconveniences everyone living in The Farm, but then you have to remember:

- alot of them were going to Dun Laoghaire, who now still have the 63
    - alot of people getting on/off using the old route did so at the Kill Avenue end of The Farm, and only have to walk and extra 2 minutes around the corner
    - if someone is going to the City Centre, they also have the 4 on Monkstown Avenue

overall it's a very small number of people who are effected, compared to the hundreds/thousands of people who will benefit.
    with the poor turnout of that protest it really shows too

(btw, until the 145 was brought in I used to walk 20 minutes from Cabinteely to Foxrock Church for a 46a)

To add to that, for 9 months of the year how many use the 46A to go to IADT/Media Cube or the schools on Kill Ave/Lane , I have a feeling the number far outweighs those who are "inconvenienced" by the extra 5 minute walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭SteM

Hate those type of maps. That one makes it look like the 77a from City Centre to the Square is more direct route than the 77!

and info:

Tallaght, Walkinstown, Crumlin Road, South Circular Road, Pearse Street and Sandymount
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Dublin Bus would like to thank customers for feedback received ads part of the consultation process into services in the above areas. Dublin Bus is pleased to announce revised proposals for services in the above areas as part of Network Direct. These service changes cover the following existing Routes and will be introduced on a phased basis throughout summer 2011:

17, 18, 19, 19a, 49, 49a, 50, 54a, 56, 56a, 65, 65b, 77, 77a, 121, 122, 123, 140 and 150.

What does Network Direct mean for you?
    Implementation will commence in Summer 2011 on a phased basis which will provide the above areas with more direct, high frequency and punctual bus services with improved cross city connections. Please click here to view a diagram on services in these areas.

Quicker journey times
    Quicker journey times to key destinations including Rathmines, Dame Street, O’Connell Street, Dundrum, Sandyford and Dún Laoghaire.

High frequency service
    Route 27 will have peak weekday frequencies of 10 minutes or better
    Route 77a will have peak weekday frequencies of 10 minutes or better
    Route 122 will have peak weekday frequencies of 10 minutes or better
    Route 123 will have peak weekday frequencies of 10 minutes or better
    Route 150 will have peak weekday frequencies of 10 minutes or better

Improved connections for customers Tallaght / Walkinstown area
    Route 49a will be discontinued. No changes proposed to Route 49.

Route 54a will continue to operate its current alignment with revised timetables to meet customer demand

Route 77 and Route 27 will be amalgamated and operate as Route 27. It will provide a high frequency cross city connection between Tallaght and Crumlin to the Malahide Road QBC. It will also provide a direct connection to Connolly Rail Station.

Route 77a will operate from Citywest to Ringsend Road via Killinarden, The Square, Old Bawn, Tymon Park, Walkinstown, Crumlin, Cork Street, Dame Street, Pearse Street. This will replace Route 50 and 65b in Citywest.

Routes 56/56a will be called Route 56 and will operate from Crumlin Hospital to The Square, Tallaght via Ballymount, Fettercairn.

Route 77x will operate from Citywest to UCD Belfield.

Route 65 will continue to connect Blessington, Ballymore and Ballyknockan with Dublin city centre.

Route 75 will be redesigned and replaced in part by Route 175.

Route 75 will continue to link Tallaght with Dun Laoghaire. It will be realigned from the Ballinteer area making the service more direct and faster for customers. It will operate its current alignment from Tallaght, (The Square) as far as Butterfield Avenue and will then operate via Nutgrove Avenue and Churchtown Road to Dundrum, Sandyford Industrial Estate, Stillorgan Shopping Centre – Kill Avenue and Dun Laoghaire.

Route 76 will operate from Tallaght Square to Chapelizod via Belgard Road, Newlands Cross, Fonthill Road South, Convent Road, Clondalkin Village, Ninth Lock Road, Fonthill Road, Neilstown Road, Liffey Valley SC and Ballyfermot

Route 76a will operate from Tallaght Square to Blanchardstown Centre via Belgard Road, Newlands Cross, Fonthill Road South, Convent Road, Clondalkin Village, Ninth Lock Road, Fonthill Road, Neilstown Road, Liffey Valley SC, N4, M50, Blanchardstown Village, Blanchardstown Centre.

Route 166* will operate from Liffey Valley via St. Loman’s Road, Willsbrook Road, Castle Road, Ballyowen Road and Citywest to Tallaght (The Square). Routing is as follows: Tallaght (The Square), Fortunestown Way, Citywest Road, Kingswood Avenue, Old Naas Road (Brownsbarn), Outer Ring Road, Grange Castle Business Park, Castle Road, Willsbrook Road, St. Loman’s Road, Liffey Valley Shopping Centre. (not shown on map)

Route 210 will no longer operate as a result of the above changes.

Route 175 will operate from Tallaght (The Square) to Dun Laoghaire. It will operate via Old Bawn Road, Killininny Road, Scholarstown Road, Taylor’s Lane, Grange Road, Broadford Road, Ballinteer Avenue, Wyckham Way, Dundrum S.C., Sandyford Ind, Estate, Stillorgan S.C., Coppinger, Newtown Park, Monkstown Ring Road, Monkstown Avenue, and Mounttown Road to Dun Laoghaire.

Drimnagh / Crumlin / South Circular Road areas
    Existing Route 19 will be replaced in the Bulfin area by route 68 and on the South Circular Road by Route 122. Route 68 will operate from Newcastle and Clondalkin via Inchicore, Bulfin Road, South Circular Road and Camden Street to Hawkins Street. In the South Circular Road area Route 122 will operate via Herberton Road to South Circular Road and then on to current route to Phibsboro and Cabra.

Existing Route 19a will be renamed Route 9. There is no proposed change to the alignment on the South of the City. The service will be adjusted on the North of the City serving Beneavin Road in both directions (Not shown on Map Diagram).

Route 122 will operate from Crumlin via Mourne Road, Keeper Road and Herberton Road to South Circular Road. It will then operate its current Route to the Navan Road via Camden Street Upper, South Great George’s Street, O’Connell Street and Berkeley Road.

No changes are proposed to Route 17 and Route 123 in this phase.

Route Improvements
    These proposals will offer the above areas a much simplified route network with improved cross city connections. 55% of the Routes covering the areas highlighted will offer frequencies of 10 minutes or better at peak times.

45% of the Routes will offer full cross city connections with direct access to Connolly Rail Station, Luas Red Line, Beaumont Hospital and IKEA.

There will be improved coverage of our network and an increase in the travel options available for the vast majority of our customers as a result of the proposed changes.

Timetable Changes
    All timetables have been redesigned so that they are easier to understand. Please note that new timetables read from left to right and then line by line as in a book or magazine. Weekdays are given their own column separated by colour. All Routes will now have stop-specific departure times at selected locations for e.g. Route 27 will have specific departure times from D’Olier Street and Eden Quay making it easier to plan your journey.

Routing for proposed services as follows

Route 27
    Jobstown » Tallaght (The Square) » Greenhills Road » Dolphin’s Barn » Cork Street » Dame Street » Eden Quay » Fairview » Donnycarney » Coolock » Edenmore

Route 54a
    Ellensborough >> Tallaght (The Square) >> Tallaght Rd (Balrothery) >> Willington Road >> Fortfield >> Leonard’s Corner >> Harold’s Cross >> Clanbrassil Street >> Eden Quay

Route 56
    Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital, Crumlin » Drimnagh Road » Walkinstown Avenue » Ballymount Road » Fettercairn Road » Cookstown Road » Tallaght (The Square)

Route 65
    Eden Quay » South Great George’s Street » Camden Street Lower » Richmond Street South » Rathmines » Rathgar » Terenure » Templeogue » Tallaght (The Square) » Blessington / Ballyknockan / Ballymore

Route 75
    Tallaght (The Square) » Old Bawn Road » Firhouse Road » Butterfield Avenue » Nutgrove Avenue » Churchtown Road » Dundrum » Sandyford Industrial Estate » Stillorgan Shopping Centre » Foxrock Church » Kill Avenue » Dún Laoghaire Rail Station

Route 77a
    Ringsend Road >> Pearse Street » Cork Street » Dolphin’s Barn » Greenhills Road » Tymon Park » Old Bawn Road » Tallaght (The Square) » Killinarden >> Blessington Road» Citywest

Route 122
    Ashington » Navan Road » Nephin Road » Carnlough Road » Cabra Road » Berkeley Road » South Great George’s Street » Camden Street Lower » South Circular Road » Dolphin’s Barn » Herberton Road » Mourne Road » Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital, Crumlin

Route 175
    Tallaght (The Square) » Old Bawn Road » Killininny Road » Scholarstown Road » Grange Road » Broadford Road >> Ballinteer Avenue » Dundrum Shopping Centre » Sandyford Industrial Estate » Stillorgan Shopping Centre » Monkstown Link Road » Monkstown Avenue » Dún Laoghaire Rail Station

Service Frequencies (Estimates)
    Route Peak Off Peak
    27 10 20
    56 60 60
    65 30 120
    75 20 30
    77a 10 20
    122 10 20
    175 30 60

http://www.dublinbus.ie/Network-Direct/Network-Direct-Phase-2/Tallaght-Walkinstown-Crumlin-Road-South-Circular-Road-Pearse-Street-and-Sandymount/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I don't know why Sandymount was mentioned, the only route that affects that area in any way is the 18, an orbital route, and no changes to it are mentioned on that page.

• Advertisement

They've yet to confirm the Sandymount changes - the changes to the northern half of the 3 are still under consultation.

Lazy editing - that was the original heading.

I thought they were going to run the 75 from Stillorgan to Stradbrook via the new through road?

The new 175 is going to operate via that route.

lxflyer wrote: »
    The new 175 is going to operate via that route.

any idea yet where that will go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

any idea yet where that will go?

Route 175
    Tallaght (The Square) » Old Bawn Road » Killininny Road » Scholarstown Road » Grange Road » Broadford Road >> Ballinteer Avenue » Dundrum Shopping Centre » Sandyford Industrial Estate » Stillorgan Shopping Centre » Monkstown Link Road » Monkstown Avenue » Dún Laoghaire Rail Station

There is a full route description for the area about 3 posts before yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Should have kept the 3 as it was and extended the 2 to Shanard Road, if the 14 won't run there. Why create a 3A?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

I was just reading about the proposed improvement of the Navan Road QBC. It looks like a great scheme and will really improve journey times and reliability. Anyone know the progress on the work.

http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/QBNProjectOffice/DCN/Pages/DublinCityNorth.aspx

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

mgmt wrote: »
    I was just reading about the proposed improvement of the Navan Road QBC. It looks like a great scheme and will really improve journey times and reliability. Anyone know the progress on the work.

http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/QBNProjectOffice/DCN/Pages/DublinCityNorth.aspx

Great idea or more so great goal, but what they are doing is creating a conflict with buses and taxis and cyclists over quite large distances. For bus users it's better than what there now, but it's half arsed.

In spots you also have too much of a conflict with parked cars and buses and cyclists.

We keep getting told that the poor designs are a thing of history, but we keep getting poor designs.

CIE wrote: »
    Should have kept the 3 as it was and extended the 2 to Shanard Road, if the 14 won't run there. Why create a 3A?

They should have dumped the 2 and had the 3 run from shanard to ucd! Larkhill is, IMO, the same as wadelai estate. It is in close proximity to good bus services that a direct service is not necessary!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 T1978

mgmt wrote: »

sounds great. I wonder if they are using the firhouse qbc model which involves 2 years construction at a cost of more than 2 million euros, only for them to scrap the 74 route, thus rendering it useless!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement