Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

Dub13 wrote: »
    Its right beside the Artane Beaumont Family Recreation Centre.....:rolleyes:

Ah yes, the wonderful A.B.F.R.C. Ltd., also know locally as the Reck and is right across the road from the Artaine Castle S.C. Both I can safely say are in Artane and not Beaumont which BAC thinks the area is called for some reason.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭SparkyTech

Im confused, the 15b is now terminating at Ballyboden Way from the 7th, albiet in the Rathfarnham revised proposals its listed as covering the old 74a route through Rathgar & Rathfarnham village? Have DB abandoned this proposal?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 D14

SparkyTech wrote: »
    Im confused, the 15b is now terminating at Ballyboden Way from the 7th, albiet in the Rathfarnham revised proposals its listed as covering the old 74a route through Rathgar & Rathfarnham village? Have DB abandoned this proposal?
    I'd say there just doing that because there implementing the changes gradually, the new 15B sounds way too sensible not to go ahead with

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It's phased. That'll happen when the 74/a, and 15/128/140 changes happen

• Registered Users Posts: 38 D14

Aard wrote: »
    So much for an improved 161! 5 departures a day is paltry.
    As the 161 and the new 61 are so close together (even the numbers are similar), perhaps DB should have looked at using the 161 as the southern end of the 61, then extending to Ticknock. Something like Ticknock > Whitechurch Rd > Willbrook Rd > Nutgrove Ave > Dundrum Rd > ...

It would keep the connection at Dundrum Luas, as well as providing a relatively frequent service between Whitechurch, Nutgrove, and Dundrum, which seems to be the point of the 161). Granted, Lidl at Stonemasons Way is out, but a minor inconvenience I'd think in exchange for an hourly service.

This deviation shouldn't add significantly to the 61's route.

It'd make much more sense just extend the 161 to Townsend street too, giving nutgrove, whitechurch and Rockwell an improved more direct service. Isn't that what network direct is all about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 RidiculousHair

Just after seeing this post on the changes to the DB network and thought i'd add my few cents worth. To be fair, I wouldn't normally complain about the DB service - living in Swords, it seems that overall we have a reasonably good service (though that remains to be seen, once they implement ND out here, whenever that is..)

However, the other day was getting the 104 from DCU out to Cappagh Hospital, and the bus never came! I know, you're probably thinking this has happened to you before and i should shut the hell up and stop complaining... which may be a fair pt. However, and correct me if i'm wrong, but i think this route has had its network direct already, so you would have expected it to be more reliable, not to mention that the timetable actually has specific departure times from DCU! Anyway, I was so annoyed that i actually called up the DB office using that number that they have posted on all the bus stops now, and actually asked where the bus was...the response? well, apparently there was no driver rostered/available! I know there's been cutbacks everywhere etc etc, but if you're going to have a bus timetabled, a driver should been available to service the route, regardless of the frequency, load factor etc

As I said, I know this has probably happened to some of ye before, but still felt the need the vent a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

more political interference and general nonsense re ND

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/residents-vent-fury-at-dublin-bus-route-closures-2839335.html
    PROTESTERS yesterday called on Dublin Bus to halt the "scrapping" of routes across the city.

They gathered at the offices of the National Transport Authority yesterday to object to the termination of the No 19 cross-city route.

More than 11,000 residents and commuters have signed a petition to halt the changes made to the 19 route. Dublin Bus is also axing the 48A route, which links Ballinteer to the city centre.

The move is part of changes affecting routes 14, 14A, 15B, 48A and 161 from Sunday.

A detailed submission, highlighting the negative effects of the route 19 proposal on local communities has been signed by 13 TDs and 24 local councillors.

The No 19 route runs from Jamestown Road in Finglas through the city centre to Bulfin Road in Inchicore, serving Glasnevin, Phibsboro, the city centre, the South Circular Road and Dolphin's Barn.

Community

Peadar Tunney, who lives at Hillcrest Park in Glasnevin, said he had been using the 19 route for 76 years.

"I am over 80 years old and have used this bus since I was 4. I remember the 19 when it was a tram and can't believe that this route, which is an essential part of our community, is just going to be scrapped.

"This is discrimination against the many elderly residents and children of this area and it is a disgrace."

The route change proposed for the No 19 bus is part of Network Direct, a city-wide project reviewing routes across the city, announced in April 2010.

Dublin Bus said the project's aim was to deliver a better service. A company spokesman said route 19 was not being withdrawn or scrapped.

"The route number 19 will no longer be used but the general areas that it currently serves on both the northside and southside of the city will continue to be served -- albeit by different bus numbers," he said.

"Therefore the allegation that people will no longer be able to attend hospitals, medical appointments, colleges, schools, work places and businesses is inaccurate."

The company has not yet decided on a date for the proposed changes. But it said overall passenger numbers using the 19 were very low, with an average of four users at off-peak times and eight at peak times.

seems a sensible enough reason to me for cutting it...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Cookie_Monster: But it said overall passenger numbers using the 19 were very low, with an average of four users at off-peak times and eight at peak times.

Correct and right C_M,however bare statistics as put forward by DB in earlier elements of Network Direct turned out to be a less than sound basis for the changes first implemented.

I would take the quoted stats on the 19 route with a very large pinch of inquisitive salt before asking all manner of qualifying questions as to the nature of Peak vs Off-Peak,the locations where the observations were made,the days and times of the observations and the service level pertaining at the time of the observations....sometimes it's whats omitted from these Statistical adventures that is of the greater importance.... :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Correct and right C_M,however bare statistics as put forward by DB in earlier elements of Network Direct turned out to be a less than sound basis for the changes first implemented.

I would take the quoted stats on the 19 route with a very large pinch of inquisitive salt before asking all manner of qualifying questions as to the nature of Peak vs Off-Peak,the locations where the observations were made,the days and times of the observations and the service level pertaining at the time of the observations....sometimes it's whats omitted from these Statistical adventures that is of the greater importance.... :)

Alek; as a passenger who's area was served by the 19 I have used it over the years and 4 passengers off peak isn't that far off the mark. I gave up on it and the 122 for getting into and out of town as a rule, especially in the evenings as it was always caught up in the taxi go slow that was Camden Street-Georges Street, instead opting for the reliable 121 or a Cork Street bus. Indeed the 121 was so quick I could text drinking buddies to order a pint of stout as I boarded and it would have me into town from the SCR in the time it took the pint to be poured, settled and paid for. And yet, the 121 would literally run empty at night, locals preferring to either walk in, taxi or chance their arms on Cork Street. Peak time, the 19 and 122 were very much a slow boat; a 121 would be quicker in spite of the longer wait.

Alek; as a passenger who's area was served by the 19 I have used it over the years and 4 passengers off peak isn't that far off the mark. I gave up on it and the 122 for getting into and out of town as a rule, especially in the evenings as it was always caught up in the taxi go slow that was Camden Street-Georges Street, instead opting for the reliable 121 or a Cork Street bus. Indeed the 121 was so quick I could text drinking buddies to order a pint of stout as I boarded and it would have me into town from the SCR in the time it took the pint to be poured, settled and paid for. And yet, the 121 would literally run empty at night, locals preferring to either walk in, taxi or chance their arms on Cork Street. Peak time, the 19 and 122 were very much a slow boat; a 121 would be quicker in spite of the longer wait.

At Last,Losty Dublin draws hisself erect and points a quivering finger at the fast growing babby elephant sitting munching away in the corner of the room.......I wonder in the blizzard of statistics referenced by the Network Direct Team,did they manage to compile any specific to the nightly illegal codology perpretated by the "Taxi Industry" on the greater Public Transport using public ??

Probably not.....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Advertisement

Peadar Tunney, who lives at Hillcrest Park in Glasnevin, said he had been using the 19 route for 76 years.

"I am over 80 years old and have used this bus since I was 4. I remember the 19 when it was a tram and can't believe that this route, which is an essential part of our community, is just going to be scrapped.

"This is discrimination against the many elderly residents and children of this area and it is a disgrace."

What Mr Tunney does not say is that the 19a (renumbered as route 9) will still serve the western end of his estate on Beneavin Road.

Also the 11 serves the eastern end of his estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

passenger numbers using the 19 were very low, with an average of four users at off-peak times and eight at peak times.

Equine excrement.
    I get the 19 northbound almost every day towards the end of or in the hours following the evening peak, usually between 19:00 and 21:00 from Camden St. to Ballygall. I have never seen it travelling on this section with fewer than 20 passengers* and although it's never packed to the roof either, it's sometimes over half full. That's not bad for an off-peak load, no? Maybe they didn't know there is an upper deck on the 19 buses. :confused:

* The exception being the single run between Westmoreland St., where the majority of the passengers originating on the southern leg alight, and O' Connell St., where a large number of passengers heading northbound board the bus.

Although it's cutting my bus choices in half, I can't say I'm surprised that it's being canned, given that the northern part of the route is so similar to the 83. What I'm amazed at is the pathetic attempt to justify it on figures that are at least as flawed as the misleading loading figures at DCU that were offered as a reason to kill the 11's. Instead of having a lad at one stop for twenty minutes with a clipboard in one hand and his belly in the other, maybe they'd consider something novel like using the camera footage that shows the actual bus loading throughout the journey. It would be approaching trivial to get a bit of software coded that could do image processing at the person/no-person level, especially if it's only being targeted at low-load buses with clear sight-lines due to few standing passengers.

At Last,Losty Dublin draws hisself erect and points a quivering finger at the fast growing babby elephant sitting munching away in the corner of the room.......I wonder in the blizzard of statistics referenced by the Network Direct Team,did they manage to compile any specific to the nightly illegal codology perpretated by the "Taxi Industry" on the greater Public Transport using public ??

Probably not.....;)

Bad as it is, and Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights (in increasing order) it IS bad; 20-30 minutes for that few hundred metre section is not unusual, that part is just busy and narrow as opposed to there being a major problem with illegal PSV parking. The carry-on of forming a sometimes-double line from the Central Bank back as far as the right-hand turn on Dame St. doesn't help and the variable but constant pair of pricks that sit between the Fleet St. turn and the 2/3/13/19/83 bus stop on Westmoreland St. are what gets me.

backboiler wrote: »
    Bad as it is, and Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights (in increasing order) it IS bad; 20-30 minutes for that few hundred metre section is not unusual, that part is just busy and narrow as opposed to there being a major problem with illegal PSV parking. The carry-on of forming a sometimes-double line from the Central Bank back as far as the right-hand turn on Dame St. doesn't help and the variable but constant pair of pricks that sit between the Fleet St. turn and the 2/3/13/19/83 bus stop on Westmoreland St. are what gets me.

Perhaps it's worth opening a thread on this broader topic,as I,for one,consider it to be one of the greatest impediments to ANY form of structured Public Transport in Dublin.

It's of little value pointing to individual locations where Taxi Drivers now openly flaunt the Road Traffic Act in addition to several PSV related regulations.

The situation has been allowed to spiral completely out of control over a protracted length of time,broadly in line with the appointment of a Taxi "Regulator".

One of the glaring realities is this Office and it's various holders to date,has proven spectacularly unfit for purpose and has effectively led to the demise of any structure or order within the industry.

The role of the Garda Carriage Office as the regulatory and enforcement body on the Taxi industry simply disappeared with the same totally predictable result one might see if the locks on a Lunatic asylum were left open.

At the very least there is urgent need to re-establish the Garda Carriage Office as the "actual" oversight authority on the ground.

I would immediately end the contract of the current Taxi Regulator as well as appointing a deputy Garda Commissioner on secondment to deal exclusively with Operational Issues within the Industry.

I would immediately introduce a simplified shift-rota to end the free-for-all which is damaging not alone the Taxi Industry,but Dublin City's entire image as a place where one can have confidence in the public/private-hire service available.

At it's most basic the principle that EVERY Taxi driver can bring his/her cab into the City Centre and ply for trade on EVERY day/night cannot be sustained whilst there are upwards of 19,000 wishing to do so.....can't work,won't work...so deal with it.

I thoroughly support and applaud the actions of St James Hospital in closing the Hospital campus to through-traffic in the face of thuggery and violence between various factions of the Taxi industry.

The Hospital was left with taking the only choice available to it,which was lock them out,a simplistic process,BUT one which has had the desired effect.

Whether we have any Public Administrators willing to uphold their own laws and regulations remains to be seen,but In the meantime the chaos continues unabated.

Just watch the Grafton St/Suffolk St Junction and Pedestrian Crossing on any given day......:( :(:(

backboiler wrote: »
    passenger numbers using the 19 were very low, with an average of four users at off-peak times and eight at peak times.

Equine excrement.
    I get the 19 northbound almost every day towards the end of or in the hours following the evening peak, usually between 19:00 and 21:00 from Camden St. to Ballygall. I have never seen it travelling on this section with fewer than 20 passengers* and although it's never packed to the roof either, it's sometimes over half full. That's not bad for an off-peak load, no? Maybe they didn't know there is an upper deck on the 19 buses. :confused:

* The exception being the single run between Westmoreland St., where the majority of the passengers originating on the southern leg alight, and O' Connell St., where a large number of passengers heading northbound board the bus.

Although it's cutting my bus choices in half, I can't say I'm surprised that it's being canned, given that the northern part of the route is so similar to the 83. What I'm amazed at is the pathetic attempt to justify it on figures that are at least as flawed as the misleading loading figures at DCU that were offered as a reason to kill the 11's. Instead of having a lad at one stop for twenty minutes with a clipboard in one hand and his belly in the other, maybe they'd consider something novel like using the camera footage that shows the actual bus loading throughout the journey. It would be approaching trivial to get a bit of software coded that could do image processing at the person/no-person level, especially if it's only being targeted at low-load buses with clear sight-lines due to few standing passengers.

And would you have 20+ on the 83 at the same times? I doubt it.

You have the problem of two very similar routes operating at similar frequencies with low numbers. Does that justify retaining both or do you merge them?

The northern end of the northside half 19 will still be covered by the 9, while virtually all of the rest of the northside half will be covered by the 83.

I don't really see what the big issue with these changes are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Perhaps it's worth opening a thread on this broader topic,as I,for one,consider it to be one of the greatest impediments to ANY form of structured Public Transport in Dublin.

It's of little value pointing to individual locations where Taxi Drivers now openly flaunt the Road Traffic Act in addition to several PSV related regulations.

The situation has been allowed to spiral completely out of control over a protracted length of time,broadly in line with the appointment of a Taxi "Regulator".

One of the glaring realities is this Office and it's various holders to date,has proven spectacularly unfit for purpose and has effectively led to the demise of any structure or order within the industry.

The role of the Garda Carriage Office as the regulatory and enforcement body on the Taxi industry simply disappeared with the same totally predictable result one might see if the locks on a Lunatic asylum were left open.

At the very least there is urgent need to re-establish the Garda Carriage Office as the "actual" oversight authority on the ground.

I would immediately end the contract of the current Taxi Regulator as well as appointing a deputy Garda Commissioner on secondment to deal exclusively with Operational Issues within the Industry.

I would immediately introduce a simplified shift-rota to end the free-for-all which is damaging not alone the Taxi Industry,but Dublin City's entire image as a place where one can have confidence in the public/private-hire service available.

At it's most basic the principle that EVERY Taxi driver can bring his/her cab into the City Centre and ply for trade on EVERY day/night cannot be sustained whilst there are upwards of 19,000 wishing to do so.....can't work,won't work...so deal with it.

I thoroughly support and applaud the actions of St James Hospital in closing the Hospital campus to through-traffic in the face of thuggery and violence between various factions of the Taxi industry.

The Hospital was left with taking the only choice available to it,which was lock them out,a simplistic process,BUT one which has had the desired effect.

Whether we have any Public Administrators willing to uphold their own laws and regulations remains to be seen,but In the meantime the chaos continues unabated.

Just watch the Grafton St/Suffolk St Junction and Pedestrian Crossing on any given day......:( :(:(

Is all of this not down to a lack of any Garda enforcement? Apart from flashing the blue lights at taxi drivers when they can be bothered at the bottom of Grafton Street I have never seen any intervention by Garda on Georges Street/Dame Street.

I think blaming the Taxi Regulator for applying the rules as they are is unfair. Blaming people who turn to taxi driving whilst ignoring the simple economic truth of supply and demand would seem more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

whatever happened to our old topic starter, KC61?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

I've heard that the Tallaght and a large part of Malahide Road will be going ahead on the 21st August. Take it with a pinch of salt as I cannot confirm this myself.

lxflyer wrote: »
    And would you have 20+ on the 83 at the same times? I doubt it.

You have the problem of two very similar routes operating at similar frequencies with low numbers. Does that justify retaining both or do you merge them?

The northern end of the northside half 19 will still be covered by the 9, while virtually all of the rest of the northside half will be covered by the 83.

I don't really see what the big issue with these changes are.

No, the 83 is usually quieter than the equivalent 19 on the parts that I travel, at least.

As I said, I'm not surprised that one of the two routes is being removed; my point was that trying to justify it on fake figures is wrong. Much better to just be honest and say that large parts of the route are duplicated with other routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Certainly for the southside, those figures quoted would be accurate. The 19 leaving Bulfin would only carry a handful of passengers, if any off peak. The SCR has the 123 and Rialto now has the 122.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

I have a feeling he was getting tired of constantly repeating himself with trying to answer questions from confused bus users. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Have a feeling, he is back here under another alias ;)

Is all of this not down to a lack of any Garda enforcement? Apart from flashing the blue lights at taxi drivers when they can be bothered at the bottom of Grafton Street I have never seen any intervention by Garda on Georges Street/Dame Street.

I think blaming the Taxi Regulator for applying the rules as they are is unfair. Blaming people who turn to taxi driving whilst ignoring the simple economic truth of supply and demand would seem more appropriate.

Wearing my hat of an ex taxi driver here, a lot; no, actually virtually all of the problems directly linked to the trade at present can be directly or indirectly linked back to the office of the regulator. Getting away from the usual driver issues, OTRs' corporate habit of buck passing and avoidance of very real issues affecting it's trade and it's preference with OTT application of it's version of at times bizarre regulation and it's penchant for applying it's own wee laws over those of the Land and Sate is beyond dangerous.

To take the example of the Dame Street rank, any eejit can tell you that it's a dangerous location for punter and driver alike at the best of time. If you contact the regulators office to ask about it, they will pass you onto the council, the Gardai, the NRA and possibly even the Salvation Army, anybody but it's own foot troopers!!! The general public only sees taxis parked through traffic lights and naturally blames the driver for parking whereever he parked; less so apparent is just who responsible for the ranks location and orderly function in the first and last place. However, we all know who won't take foot of it all unless there are €250 fines to be made out for smudged receipts or torches without batteries :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

To take the example of the Dame Street rank, any eejit can tell you that it's a dangerous location for punter and driver alike at the best of time. If you contact the regulators office to ask about it, they will pass you onto the council, the Gardai, the NRA and possibly even the Salvation Army, anybody but it's own foot troopers!!!

The TR is not responsible for the location, size or anything else of any taxi rank in the country. They're picked and installed by the local authority. Of course they're going to point you to someone else - they can't do anything about them!
    Wearing my hat of an ex taxi driver here, a lot; no, actually virtually all of the problems directly linked to the trade at present can be directly or indirectly linked back to the office of the regulator.

Total deregulation was not ideal, I'll agree with that but it doesn't allow taxi drivers to cherry pick which parts of the RTA they comply with. If there's no space at the rank, it doesn't allow them to park beside it, park on the footpath, park on double yellow lines or on corners. You can't blame any of that on the regulator - it's just unprofessional driving and law breaking.

markpb wrote: »
    The TR is not responsible for the location, size or anything else of any taxi rank in the country. They're picked and installed by the local authority. Of course they're going to point you to someone else - they can't do anything about them!

You are 100% right in saying that they are not the guys to physically locate and install the ranks. However, part of the offices remit is to ensure that the industry operates safely and to liase with the powers that be in relation to the operation, location and provision of ranks and this is something that they have not done, in spite of dail committee pressure and comment.
    markpb wrote: »
    Total deregulation was not ideal, I'll agree with that but it doesn't allow taxi drivers to cherry pick which parts of the RTA they comply with. If there's no space at the rank, it doesn't allow them to park beside it, park on the footpath, park on double yellow lines or on corners. You can't blame any of that on the regulator - it's just unprofessional driving and law breaking.

I'll agree with you, it doesn't but when you have a industrial regulator who does just that as well you can't but wonder who does what inside Fitzwilliam Square. Don't believe me; complain to them about a driver driving badly or a shoddy car or, heaven forbid, a driver that assaults or robs you and see what they say to you; they have plenty of people to fob you off on almost any complaint or query on the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You are 100% right in saying that they are not the guys to physically locate and install the ranks. However, part of the offices remit is to ensure that the industry operates safely and to liase with the powers that be in relation to the operation, location and provision of ranks and this is something that they have not done, in spite of dail committee pressure and comment.

I don't think that is part of their remit at all. The taxi regulator has no role whatsoever in relation to the operation, location and provision of ranks that I know of, nor did the carriage office ever have any role in relation to these. Those are all matters for the road authority alone.

I don't think that is part of their remit at all. The taxi regulator has no role whatsoever in relation to the operation, location and provision of ranks that I know of, nor did the carriage office ever have any role in relation to these. Those are all matters for the road authority alone.

Well you would be forgiven for thinking otherwise but it and a load of other stuff is part of their function. As it happens, it's not something they seem to do with any degree of success.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Why do you say that? It is not part of the principal functions and objectives of the former taxi regulator/current NTA. http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2003/en/act/pub/0025/sec0009.html#sec9

Why do you say that? It is not part of the principal functions and objectives of the former taxi regulator/current NTA. http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2003/en/act/pub/0025/sec0009.html#sec9

Because I know it to be the case. Feel free to disbelieve me if you like but I know better than you on this; go look it up yourself if you want .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

All the liaising in the world can't make road space available for taxi ranks. There's a limited amount of space in city centres for ranks no matter how many taxis are on the roads.
    Don't believe me; complain to them about a driver driving badly or a shoddy car or, heaven forbid, a driver that assaults or robs you and see what they say to you; they have plenty of people to fob you off on almost any complaint or query on the job.

If someone robs or assaults me, I'd be in going to the Gardai. I can honestly say that it would never occur to me to go to the Taxi Regulator. If I was ripped off somehow, then yes, I'd go to them and I'll take your word for it that they're unresponsive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement