Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

They have not announced it yet - the actual implementation of each phase going forward is dependent on getting agreement with drivers on the new rosters that are involved with all the changes in the routes and timetables.

This is quite a complex process in itself, and will take a while yet to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Rabbitt

What's another 12 months amongst friends?

Rabbitt wrote: »
    What's another 12 months amongst friends?

I don't think it'll be anything like that - I'd imagine that this process will be completed by November (given the number of phases involved).

• Registered Users Posts: 38 D14

qerty wrote: »
    lxflyer wrote: »
    DB are providing alternatives and this is the thing that gets me.

The 68 is going to be rerouted between Inchicore and the city centre via the existing 19 route from Bulfin Road, with (apparently) short workings between Bulfin Road and the city centre as route 68a.

The people complaining want to have their cake and eat it if you ask me. They don't seem to grasp that we can't continue supplying half-empty buses when alternatives are being provided - the 9 and 83 will fill the gaps left by removal of the 19 on the northside.

Frankly the whole argument by the campaigners is ludicrous as they are not being left without a bus. One being that the 19 is "historic"!!!!

It is utter nonsense of the highest order.

Does anybody know why DB never switched the 122 and 123 routings around so that 123 operated via keeper road and rialto to james's hospital and the 122 operated via bulfin and the south circular back into rialto and the current route. To me that seemed like the easiest and also the best option? This idea of a 68/a seems a bit unnecessary.

Spot on! The whole 68a is unnessecary, why can't they wither extend a relatively short (53) to bulfin via Camden street or just simply switch the 122/123 minor workings?

D14 wrote: »
    Spot on! The whole 68a is unnessecary, why can't they wither extend a relatively short (53) to bulfin via Camden street or just simply switch the 122/123 minor workings?

Extending the 53 or any other route would mean having to double/triple the number of buses allocated to the route.

The 68 is going to be there regardless so it would make more sense in terms of resources.

As to the 122/123, I suspect you'd still end up with complaints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭qerty

Extending the 53 or any other route would mean having to double/triple the number of buses allocated to the route.

The 68 is going to be there regardless so it would make more sense in terms of resources.

As to the 122/123, I suspect you'd still end up with complaints.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

I wonder when the 59 will be adjusted?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Rabbitt

Didn't know there was one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

changes to the Finglas, Glasnevin, South Circular Road, Limekiln, Kimmage, Rathcoole and Newcastle areas on 28th august

New timetables will be up later today

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/Services-changes-in-the-Finglas-Glasnevin-South-Circular-Road-Limekiln-Kimmage-Rathcoole-and-Newcastle-areas/

affects routes: 19, 19a, 68, 69, 83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

thomasj wrote: »

Apart for some timetable changes, it won't affect the 69 much, except maybe increased loadings due to passengers on the 68 jumping off at Inchicore to avoid their new longer routing.

So much for Network Direct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Baron de Robeck

You will notice from the new timetables above that the 68/69 times for Sundays remain the same. Sunday running time is already very tight so there is no chance of the 68 running via Bulfin Rd. etc and making its time, it's just not going to happen. I was told this morning that there will be extra buses on standby to fill the inevitable gaps! As both routes work on the same "bill" this will lead to disruption to the 69 on Sundays as well.

Also noted is that the last 68's that work to Conyngham Road will go via Islandbridge to the garage rather than work the full route after representations from the drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,286 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

19 was the perfect bus route for my work day commute. The 12 minutes DB are given the 68 to get from Bulfin Road to Camden street is very optimistic. It might do it in August, off peak. But it certainly won't do it in September

Dodge wrote: »
    19 was the perfect bus route for my work day commute. The 12 minutes DB are given the 68 to get from Bulfin Road to Camden street is very optimistic. It might do it in August, off peak. But it certainly won't do it in September

Those timings are only approximate - the overall journey time allowed is 90 minutes for the entire journey from Newcastle to Hawkins Street which should be sufficient.

However the Sunday running times are a cause of concern....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

Those timings are only approximate - the overall journey time allowed is 90 minutes for the entire journey from Newcastle to Hawkins Street which should be sufficient.

However the Sunday running times are a cause of concern....
    90 minutes for a journey I could do in 20-30 minutes in my car? I could get to bloody Longford in 90 minutes!

Network round-the-houses up-the-wall and back down again.

Privatise it.

paddyland wrote: »
    90 minutes for a journey I could do in 20-30 minutes in my car? I could get to bloody Longford in 90 minutes!

Network round-the-houses up-the-wall and back down again.

Privatise it.

You may take 20-30 minutes but a bus certainly won't, particularly operating via the SCR.

Moreover, the running time is set to maintain a clockface frequency - hourly services on both the 68 and 69 which makes it easier for customers to know when the bus is operating.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

thomasj wrote: »
    changes to the Finglas, Glasnevin, South Circular Road, Limekiln, Kimmage, Rathcoole and Newcastle areas on 28th august

New timetables will be up later today

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/Services-changes-in-the-Finglas-Glasnevin-South-Circular-Road-Limekiln-Kimmage-Rathcoole-and-Newcastle-areas/

Anyone able to see the maps? I get "error on get configuration:500" when I click on "View on map".
    I've still not seen what the exact routing around the Glasanaon Rd - Griffith Road/Drive/Parade - Tolka Estate area looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

backboiler wrote: »
    Anyone able to see the maps? I get "error on get configuration:500" when I click on "View on map".
    I've still not seen what the exact routing around the Glasanaon Rd - Griffith Road/Drive/Parade - Tolka Estate area looks like.

The maps on all the "Revised Times" stuff never works :(

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭qerty

They seem to be rolling out changes every 2 weeks. Give or take.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

The last inbound 68/69 retains their post midnight run to the garage, the 84 from Newcastle lost its equivalent short run to Bray under ND, no consistency!

• Advertisement

stop wrote: »
    The last inbound 68/69 retains their post midnight run to the garage, the 84 from Newcastle lost its equivalent short run to Bray under ND, no consistency!

It presumably boils down to driver hours. Going via the normal route and picking up/setting down passengers takes longer - they could have been very tight on the late 84 duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

A map for the confused, of the changes for August 28th. Can be easier than trying to explain to friends what's changing :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

So all bus service on Glasanaon Road, Ballygall Parade, Ballygall Crescent and Finglas Place goes from frequent to none? There will no longer be a way to get by bus from the Botanic Gardens to the centre of Finglas Village...? They'd better extend the 11 westward via St. Canice's Road onto the roads that the 83 seems to be abandoning according to that map, or bring back the 34.

Telchak wrote: »
    A map for the confused, of the changes for August 28th. Can be easier than trying to explain to friends what's changing :p

The 83 route in that map is completely wrong. After leaving Tolka Estate it will route along the length of Glasanaon Road, before turning right onto Ballygall Road West and left onto Grove Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

The 83 route in that map is completely wrong. After leaving Tolka Estate it will route along the length of Glasanaon Road, before turning right onto Ballygall Road West and left onto Grove Road.

Fixed it (: Although I'm having trouble figuring out what route the 140 will be extended by, and I wonder when >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Oh, so Ballygall Road East will be denuded of bus service then, and the 83 can no longer be used for accessing Finglas Village; Ballygall Parade passengers have to go to Glasanaon Road (and who knows if there are NIMBYs on that stretch of Glasanaon Road that never had bus service that I recall, and may object to the bus being switched there). McKee Avenue also loses bus service, after gaining it with the closure of the old North Road?

Telchak wrote: »

Fixed it (: Although I'm having trouble figuring out what route the 140 will be extended by, and I wonder when >_>

I imagine it will change when the 15/15a/15b/15e/15f/65/65b/74/74a/128 changes happen. The extension is at the other end of the route to Palmerston Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 cillchainnigh

Just bought a house in Churchtown and wondering how the new and improved 14 service is performing?

Considering taking the bus from Braemor Road into town. Anyone any idea how long the journey would take peak and off-peak to (1) St Stephens Greeen and (2) Connolly Station?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Will the new 68/a be turning left in Clondalkin Village and heading up past Tesco's or will it still be going down by The Mill Centre?

• Advertisement

Just bought a house in Churchtown and wondering how the new and improved 14 service is performing?

Considering taking the bus from Braemor Road into town. Anyone any idea how long the journey would take peak and off-peak to (1) St Stephens Greeen and (2) Connolly Station?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Going ok so far - time from Braemor Road to St Stephen's Green is about 20-25 minutes off-peak and about 30-35 minutes peak. Add about 5-10 minutes to get to Connolly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement