Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Tallaght,Coolock,Edenmore changes up on site now link

• Registered Users Posts: 10,286 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Got the new 68 bus from Camden Street to Inchicore yesterday. Bus still goes through the Bulfin estate which I found a bit unneccessary. Coming from South Circular I thought the bus would go straight down Bulfin road, and onto Emmet Road, but it turns into the estate.

Presumably the other way (ie from Emmet Road to South Circular) just uses Bulfin road (and the old 19 terminus stop), so why the need to go into the estate the other way?

Oh and I realise it could be a fop to local pressure groups, but I just wanted to point out how stupid it is

• Registered Users Posts: 17,716 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Dodge wrote: »
    Got the new 68 bus from Camden Street to Inchicore yesterday. Bus still goes through the Bulfin estate which I found a bit unneccessary. Coming from South Circular I thought the bus would go straight down Bulfin road, and onto Emmet Road, but it turns into the estate.

Presumably the other way (ie from Emmet Road to South Circular) just uses Bulfin road (and the old 19 terminus stop), so why the need to go into the estate the other way?

Oh and I realise it could be a fop to local pressure groups, but I just wanted to point out how stupid it is

That's exactly what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

Tallaght,Coolock,Edenmore changes up on site now link

And, as usual, half the route maps for altered routes don't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Heart

markpb wrote: »
    And, as usual, half the route maps for altered routes don't work.

These will never work when the 'revised times' is in the title as the Google maps feature can't handle the text pre route number.

H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 jondo12

My bus used to head south to the city centre. Now it will go north for a while, then west and eventually after about 20min start to head south in the right direction. By the way the aim is to scrap some routes eg. 27a formerly 42a/b. We need a bus boycott to stop this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

Once again, another opportunity to get rid of those useless route number suffixes has been lost.

We'll now have a 56A without a 56 - and a 77A without a 77.

If it's easy to announce that the 27 will be crossing the city to Tallaght, then there shouldn't be a problem to announce that the 56 will be extended to the city centre - and re-number the 77A to another straightforward two-digit number.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Fair amount of elderly people in that area so probably goes through the estate for that reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Anyone hear about the proposed 20% price increase before christmas ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Bazzer2 wrote: »
    Once again, another opportunity to get rid of those useless route number suffixes has been lost.

We'll now have a 56A without a 56 - and a 77A without a 77
    Again? I recall when the 77 was the infrequent service and the 77A and 77B were the primary bus routes. When the 77 replaced the 77B back in the early 90s (this is around the same time as when the 77A replaced the 54 to/from Castle Lawns and started running in the other direction via Bolbrook), I thought it was a brilliant move, along with getting rid of the alpha suffix on the 50A to Jobstown (which had earlier made the original route 77 moribund what with running via Belgard Road, as well as the route 49 extensions to/from Belgard Road).

When the 56A came out, the 56 suddenly turned infrequent, with about 8 or 9 trips each way to Walkinstown Avenue at the roundabout and the one unidirectional trip to Fox & Geese (the infrequent predecessor of the 151?). Hmm, maybe the 56 can be joined with another north-side route, perhaps the 130...? (Nah, too frequent. Maybe the 31?)
    Bazzer2 wrote: »
    If it's easy to announce that the 27 will be crossing the city to Tallaght, then there shouldn't be a problem to announce that the 56 will be extended to the city centre - and re-number the 77A to another straightforward two-digit number.
    Maybe they ought to resurrect the number 28, and run that over the new planned 27A route on the north side and run it to Tallaght to replace the 77A on the south side? Just a thought. Would look better to have the 27 and 28 running together on Greenhills Road than 27 and 77A...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

The whole thing about changing route numbers to old numbers and the worry about confusing people is bullsh*t. If we went with that attitude the route number system would be in bits! If dublin bus are providing an adequate information system to inform people of these changes etc. why the worry! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,286 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Fair amount of elderly people in that area so probably goes through the estate for that reason.
    No more than any other area, and the point was it only goes through the estate in one way. They still have to go to Bulfin road to get it towards the city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

Heart wrote: »
    These will never work when the 'revised times' is in the title as the Google maps feature can't handle the text pre route number.

H

You mean DB website staff can't think of another way of naming a title?

Christ. IF YOU CHANGE A ROUTE YOU SHOULD LET PEOPLE KNOW IN ADVANCE WHAT THE ROUTE IS CHANGING TO.[/loudnoises]

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

There's a 56A revised timetable from Ringsend Road to The Square and from the Square to Ringsend Road
    There's a 56A timetable from Drimnagh Road to The Square
    There's a 56A timetable from Drimnagh Road to Ringsend Road.

Is Drimnagh Road a terminus or a way-point..would one timetable not be easier..

I think the service is much better than that blasted 56 waste of diesel, more regular throughout the day if less frequent. I think from reading the timetables there's departures from the city later than 2030 even...means I might be able to get it home again.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

dfx- wrote: »

Drimnagh Road is an intermediate point. It's a feature on new Network Direct timetables.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

Does anyone know when the Clondalkin/ballymun changes are going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Rabbitt

Looking at the number of future 77a's there will be departing Citywest it doesn't look like there will be amy less buses running compared to the present 77a and 50's running. Where is the savings there?
    The thought of spending at least 1 hour 20 mins from Citywest to CityCentre is depresing.
    The new 27 is IMO pointless . It doesn't really sere any purpose only to have possibly the longest cross city services going

Rabbitt wrote: »
    Looking at the number of future 77a's there will be departing Citywest it doesn't look like there will be amy less buses running compared to the present 77a and 50's running. Where is the savings there?
    The thought of spending at least 1 hour 20 mins from Citywest to CityCentre is depresing.
    The new 27 is IMO pointless . It doesn't really sere any purpose only to have possibly the longest cross city services going

If you combine the current 50 and 77A timetable, there is a slight reduction. I'm guessing the new 77A will require one or two more buses as it's a longer route, but it should still free up a few buses. It also gives Citywest a more frequent service, especially with the 65B remaining too.

I don't agree new route 27 will be pointless. Cross city routes benefit many passengers, in fact, I think this will be one of the better changes. For example, the current 27 terminates at the end of Talbot Street - passengers can now travel to College Green. Along with the 14 and 128, this new 27 will offer even more options to those on the Malahide Road.

The majority of city centre commuters in Citywest will use the Luas so the mire frequent 77a won't benefit many in the area.
    On the basis of 27 users being able to travel to College Green against Talbot St it doesn't IMO warrant such a long x city service

The majority of city centre commuters in Citywest will use the Luas so the mire frequent 77a won't benefit many in the area.
    On the basis of 27 users being able to travel to College Green against Talbot St it doesn't IMO warrant such a long x city service

The Luas is a perfect transport link between to the city centre, but there are many commuters from Citywest who are not necessarily traveling to the city. There are lots local journeys between Citywest/Fortunestown and other parts of Tallaght, and I'm sure these people will be grateful of the frequency increase.

You haven't really explained why you don't agree with the revised 27 other than saying it's too long, but I don't see how that has any negative impact on the passenger? It's offering more connections, increasing the frequency and removing parked buses from city streets, utilising the fleet to run the service more efficiently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

Anyone know what the hold up is with the new 44 timetable? I assume it's going to be pulled from Ballyogan? With the Luas there now its ridiculous to keep it. Sure leave the 63 for the DL link & anyone who can't walk two stops to the luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

My thoughts on latest network direct plan.....

27/77-
    cross city route with no toilet at either end, watch out for out of service buses traveling between edenmore and clontarf, jobstown and square, 5/6 hours on a bus is a long time without a pee, this will lead to missed departures.

Handing over in city center-
    From my experiance, its a diaster, and will lead to missed departures.

77A- 1 hour 15 mins, Not enough running time, its takes 20 mins citywest to square, 20 mins square to cukoos nest, thats 40 mins on a good day.
    Not workable in my opinion, missed departures, buses going out of service all over the shop.

56A-
    timetable at drimnagh road will be a diaster example 17.00 ringsend- 17.15 drimnagh road???, and running time too tight here also.

Overall I feel sorry for people around Crumlin road, Cork street, particularly at peak times in and out of city, you will have a very bad bus service.

KD345 wrote: »
    There are lots local journeys between Citywest/Fortunestown and other parts of Tallaght, and I'm sure these people will be grateful of the frequency increase.
    Lots of people who also travel to Walkinstown/Crumlin area who won't apreciate having their journey increased by 20/25 mins.
    About 14 duties been cut from 50/77 bills, 14 days pay, 3/4 buses off the road.

dfx- wrote: »
    There's a 56A revised timetable from Ringsend Road to The Square and from the Square to Ringsend Road
    There's a 56A timetable from Drimnagh Road to The Square
    There's a 56A timetable from Drimnagh Road to Ringsend Road.

Absolute Joke... I dont know how anyone in their right mind can see the 17.15 56A from Ringsend reaching Crumlin Hospital by 17.30, Sure you wouldn't do that on a motorcycle, Shoot me please...Arrrggghhh!!!! So fooking frustrating working for these clowns sometimes, The 17.15 56A will be doing very well if his in Dame street by 17.30, and has little or no hope of reaching the square by 18.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭haulier

Any truth in the rumours that this route in an endangered species & meant to finish in the not too distant future ?

spareman wrote: »
    My thoughts on latest network direct plan.....

27/77-
    cross city route with no toilet at either end, watch out for out of service buses traveling between edenmore and clontarf, jobstown and square, 5/6 hours on a bus is a long time without a pee, this will lead to missed departures.

Drivers on the 14, 16, 39, 70, 76, 122, 123, 128 etc seem to manage fine. How are drivers on the 27 different?
    Handing over in city center-
    From my experiance, its a diaster, and will lead to missed departures.

Not necessarily. There can be handover issues on many routes, even those that handover at the garage. Being in the city centre should make no difference. If a bus or driver is late, it'll happen regardless of where the handover point is. There can be delays on the 46A at Donnybrook, just the same as there can be delays on the 39 at College Green.

To be honest, the current 77, running direct from Ringsend Garage, is an unreliable service. It doesn't run to schedule. Observe it any time of day and you'll see massive gaps, followed by buses bunching, with very often a convoy of buses operating from the depot with a 50, 77 and 77a all traveling together, so terminating routes at a depot isn't always a success either.

Perhaps you should wait and see how it goes before deeming it a disaster. It could run just fine.
    56A-
    timetable at drimnagh road will be a diaster example 17.00 ringsend- 17.15 drimnagh road???, and running time too tight here also.

Absolute Joke... I dont know how anyone in their right mind can see the 17.15 56A from Ringsend reaching Crumlin Hospital by 17.30, Sure you wouldn't do that on a motorcycle, Shoot me please...Arrrggghhh!!!! So fooking frustrating working for these clowns sometimes

It looks like there may be an error with these intermediate times for the 56A. The timetable quotes the location as Drimnagh Road, but the route description begins at Dolphins Barn, and as you observe, the timings don't match the distance. Hopefully this will be corrected.
    The 17.15 56A will be doing very well if his in Dame street by 17.30, and has little or no hope of reaching the square by 18.30.

That is plenty of time. Even at peak time, It does not take more than 1 hour 15 minutes for the 56A to reach The Square from Ringsend Road.

Just out if curiocity what is the law regarding the amount of hours a driver can drive?
    Can a driver be expected to go Ringsend to Jobstown then Jobstown to Edenmore and back to the garage for a break?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Just out if curiocity what is the law regarding the amount of hours a driver can drive?
    Can a driver be expected to go Ringsend to Jobstown then Jobstown to Edenmore and back to the garage for a break?

As long as it can be done in a single sitting of 4.5 hours then your good to go :)

http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Professional-Drivers/Driving-Safely/Driver-Hours/
    The key requirements are that you must not drive:

Without a break for more than 4.5 hours. After driving for 4.5 hours, a break of at least 45 minutes is mandatory. You can distribute that break over the 4.5 hours.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

Just wondering, with regards to the changes of the Tallaght routes, I take it that Kilnamanagh no longer has a bus route going through it? (its hard to tell by the lack of detail/maps not working)

Its not the worst sure the 27 stops outside of it and the Luas is at the other end of it!

Although it may cause problems for elderly/people with children.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭qerty

Lots of people who also travel to Walkinstown/Crumlin area who won't apreciate having their journey increased by 20/25 mins.

Why would journey time increase from the Tallaght or the city centre to Walkinstown on the 27? Just because the route is longer does not mean that journey time from one point to another will increase?

Unless your including waiting time in this journey time increase? But i doubt it will be 25 minutes during the week.

I think he/she was refering to the 77a and the people using it from Cutywest Killinarden having another 20 mins possibly added to their journey as they now go round the world in Seskin and Tymon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

anyone notice the change from "out of service" to "Sorry - not in service" on the displays, another minor part of ND I assume. I wonder who thought that one up?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement