Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

anyone notice the change from "out of service" to "Sorry - not in service" on the displays, another minor part of ND I assume. I wonder who thought that one up?

just a nicer way of telling people to piss off.

i have a nice way of telling DB to piss off... by buying a car and never using a bus again !

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭noelfirl

Actually speaking of the "Sorry - not in service", it's also noticeable that a lot of the numbers on the front displays have been changed to be more defined and sharper edged - no more 46A-like displays that there was for a time back at the last big changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

A bit disappointing to see there is last departures towards Coolock are 2310 for the 27 and 2320 on the 27a. DB moving away from last buses from city centre at 2330?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

Stevek101 wrote: »
    A bit disappointing to see there is last departures towards Coolock are 2310 for the 27 and 2320 on the 27a. DB moving away from last buses from city centre at 2330?

There's no demand for DB services after 23.10. There might be for Luas and taxies for none for DB apparently :o

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

Also worth noting, and a huge improvement in terms of visibility, the company has started its programme of retrofitting the modern bright orange LED destination displays to the older buses with the faint yellow dot matrix displays.

They are starting with the 00-reg buses, and have about 10 done so far. The refit also includes replacing the rear light clusters with LEDs also.

C635

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Conway635 wrote: »
    Also worth noting, and a huge improvement in terms of visibility, the company has started its programme of retrofitting the modern bright orange LED destination displays to the older buses with the faint yellow dot matrix displays.

They are starting with the 00-reg buses, and have about 10 done so far. The refit also includes replacing the rear light clusters with LEDs also.

C635

that is good news and about time too, those faint green ones were awful and often had broken lights making then very hard to see at night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Rabbitt

Why spend money on upgrading parts of a bus that is 11 years old has has only a couple left in service?
    Should they no start with 04 &05 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

robbie_998 wrote: »
    anyone notice the change from "out of service" to "Sorry - not in service" on the displays, another minor part of ND I assume. I wonder who thought that one up?

i have a nice way of telling DB to piss off... by buying a car and never using a bus again !
    Whats nice is that the real time service diplays let you know that the bus that just sailed past you as out of service is the one that youve been waiting for. Classy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

Bambi wrote: »
    Whats nice is that the real time service diplays let you know that the bus that just sailed past you as out of service is the one that youve been waiting for. Classy

Really? I naively assumed that the GPS system, the displays and the ticket system were tied together so it would be impossible for a bus to display out of service while also registering as an in-service bus for RTIS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

markpb wrote: »
    Really? I naively assumed that the GPS system, the displays and the ticket system were tied together so it would be impossible for a bus to display out of service while also registering as an in-service bus for RTIS.

It happens. I've often let other buses go by as I see there's a 128 (which is handier) on the way only to have an out of service bus go by in the place of the 128.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

Rabbitt wrote: »
    Why spend money on upgrading parts of a bus that is 11 years old has has only a couple left in service?
    D.B have over hundred 00's on the road it's the 99's that are going

Rabbitt wrote: »

Once the fleet is wholly lowfloor, DB will return to the normal 16-year lifecycle for buses (which was the case from time immemorial up until 2000).

They shortened it to 12 years to get the lowfloor conversion through quickly, but in current economic circumstances they will not be disposing of the 00s for a long time yet, hence the refurb programme to give them another several years life.

This will gradually roll forward to the newer buses once the 00s are done.

After Network Direct is complete, DB will have around 50 non-accessible (RV type) buses left in service - there is a tender out for new buses to replace them (prob more triaxles), and then there will be nothing after that for a while.

They may also replace the remaining 12 of the much disliked WV-class single-decks (with new single-decks).

C635

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

There is also a new display to say "Entering Service" for buses making their way to a terminus.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

robbie_998 wrote: »

It is very weird and inexplicable really...

A bus being out of service isn't anything to be sorry for. I saw a Phibsboro VT display it while running along High St/Christchurch back to the garage, where no Phibsboro bus would be in service anyway.

I don't get apologising for something that isn't supposed to be in service anyway. It's like apologising for not going through a red light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭teol

dfx- wrote: »
    It is very weird and inexplicable really...

A bus being out of service isn't anything to be sorry for. I saw a Phibsboro VT display it while running along High St/Christchurch back to the garage, where no Phibsboro bus would be in service anyway.

I don't get apologising for something that isn't supposed to be in service anyway. It's like apologising for not going through a red light.

I guess it's apologising for getting passengers hopes up when they see a bus, only to find out it is out of service.

In the 1970s they used to have "Bus Brise" on the scrolls for breakdowns, though I rarely saw it used.

C635

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

teol wrote: »
    I guess it's apologising for getting passengers hopes up when they see a bus, only to find out it is out of service.
    This sounds like political correctness disease. Back in "the day", it was obvious what blank scrolls or the name of the garage on display meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

CIE wrote: »
    This sounds like political correctness disease. Back in "the day", it was obvious what blank scrolls or the name of the garage on display meant.

indeed and it sounds like bad English to me too. I always hate when I see "sorry" written like that rather than "Apologies - Not in service" etc, sorry just makes it sound like "fuck off"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

Their information policy is not the greatest. for tallaght,

- maps on the timetables not working

- no buses will go into kilnamanagh anymore

- when you search for kilnamanagh you dont get the 27/77 which serves/will serve just outside of it

- what you do get when you search kilnamanagh is the 123 which terminates on the kilnamanagh road in walkinstown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

ax586 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the Clondalkin/ballymun changes are going to happen
    Bump

I asked and was told it was meant to be last June sometime but as yet nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Bump

I asked and was told it was meant to be last June sometime but as yet nothing

With everything going according to plan it should be implemented on the 25th. Timetables up sometime next week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Conway635 wrote: »
    In the 1970s they used to have "Bus Brise" on the scrolls for breakdowns, though I rarely saw it used.

C635

What if it was the scrolls that were broken?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭lil5

markpb wrote: »

Fell foul of the Nr 4 from the RTPI not showing up but the 'sorry'-bus flying by. Maybe RTPI doesn't know about new status?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

indeed and it sounds like bad English to me too. I always hate when I see "sorry" written like that rather than "Apologies - Not in service" etc, sorry just makes it sound like "fuck off"
    Funnily enough, the Irish version (go OLA!) has just that nice feel to it: "Ár leithscéil - As seirbhís" (our apologies - out of service).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Aard wrote: »
    Funnily enough, the Irish version (go OLA!) has just that nice feel to it: "Ár leithscéil - As seirbhís" (our apologies - out of service).

Very true Aard.

This latest bit of Plámásing has left what should be a simple and easily distinguished message now struggling for clarity as the English and Irish (Go arís OLA !) translation's vie for space on the limited display.

IF there was evidence of a substantial number of people who were baffled by the English only version then why not scoll between the two..?

As it is,there's a notable increase of people quite obviously straining to make out whats being displayed behind the,often filthy dirty (on the INSIDE) destination glass.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Am I missing something, or has the 26 bus route been changed again!!??

This morning when I was driving to work, I noticed the 26 bus coming down towards the N4 at Palmerstown, and turning left to head towards Lucan etc......?

Is this another route change, or did the driver get lost!!???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,716 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Probably an out of service bus.

The 26 hasn't changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

lxflyer wrote: »
    Probably an out of service bus.

The 26 hasn't changed.

It had the number 26 on front, back, and side displays?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,716 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

But it was off-route which would suggest the controller may have sent him elsewhere maybe after working a 26 to Palmerstown.

Wouldn't get too upset about it - the route hasn't changed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Well I have just checked the timetable for our new 'merged' bus routes. 42A and B are no longer and are being replaced with the 27A for a 'more frequent' service.

Now the 42A serves Bmt Hospital and then comes down through Darndale, etc. It heads towards Clontarf before going into town. The B turns off through Harmonstown. Lots of kids get the A to St Pauls in Sybil Hill and other schools on the route.

42A is now gone and by the looks of it (map is no use to man nor beast) the 27a doesn't go into Clontarf but takes the old B route meaning the kids have to walk!! And how does one bus every half hour constitute a 'more frequent' service. Kids are going to have to get the 8am bus - ridiculous!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement