Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,716 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Part of the failure of DB in communicating the changes is that they have not clarified that it is (in general) the principal routes on each QBC that will become more frequent (or perhaps retain the existing high frequency), and that the more lightly used routes will have redesigned timetables that will in all probability be lower frequency but give a consistent regular service rather than having a hotch-potch of departures at irregular frequencies.

And you are correct the 27a is a direct replacement of the 42b. The 42a is now cancelled.

However, the redesigned route 104 will replace a significant portion of the 42a linking Beaumont Hospital with Clontarf. There is an 0800 departure from the 14 terminus in Beaumont which I guess will fill that gap.

Looking at the stages and the earlier announcements, the 104 routing appears to be:
    Ardlea Road to Clontarf (Conquer Hill) via Skelly's Lane, Beaumont Hospital, Northside S.C., Darndale, Clare Hall (Tesco), Donaghmede SC, Tonlegee Road, Edenmore , Harmonstown, Vernon Avenue, Blackheath Park and Castle Avenue.

And I agree - the lack of clear maps is ludicrous!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

lxflyer wrote: »

And I agree - the lack of clear maps is ludicrous!

Well their maps are currently not working. Have spoken to them and he will have them fixed within half an hour - that was an hour ago and I still can't print them!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Dovies wrote: »
    Well I have just checked the timetable for our new 'merged' bus routes. 42A and B are no longer and are being replaced with the 27A for a 'more frequent' service.

Now the 42A serves Bmt Hospital and then comes down through Darndale, etc. It heads towards Clontarf before going into town. The B turns off through Harmonstown. Lots of kids get the A to St Pauls in Sybil Hill and other schools on the route.

42A is now gone and by the looks of it (map is no use to man nor beast) the 27a doesn't go into Clontarf but takes the old B route meaning the kids have to walk!! And how does one bus every half hour constitute a 'more frequent' service. Kids are going to have to get the 8am bus - ridiculous!!

Could they not walk a bit and get the 29a which I believe is been increased and already has a decent services.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Could they not walk a bit and get the 29a which I believe is been increased and already has a decent services.

Yeah they could - 20 minutes walk but then they might as well walk from the new 27a stop in that case. Now I know 20 minutes is not a lot however when its the middle of winter and lashing rain with 2 bags it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

But it was off-route which would suggest the controller may have sent him elsewhere maybe after working a 26 to Palmerstown.

Wouldn't get too upset about it - the route hasn't changed!

Not upset - just wondering thats all. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,716 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Dovies wrote: »
    Yeah they could - 20 minutes walk but then they might as well walk from the new 27a stop in that case. Now I know 20 minutes is not a lot however when its the middle of winter and lashing rain with 2 bags it is!

The 0800 104 will surely do the job as it'll take about 20 minutes to get around to Edenmore in the first place...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

AlekSmart wrote: »
    As it is,there's a notable increase of people quite obviously straining to make out whats being displayed behind the,often filthy dirty (on the INSIDE) destination glass.

AV205 is by far the worst example of this I've seen. Very dim. Having said that, there's a Phibsboro AV/AX that was operating the 9 last week which its bright display lights were flicking on/off on the front display at night. It was impossible to see when they flickered off. LED brightness won't resolve that...:D

The 0800 104 will surely do the job as it'll take about 20 minutes to get around to Edenmore in the first place...

Yes it will but its a 20 minute walk to that stop! Might as well get the 8am 27a!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I know one of the Union reps and was asking him about the 16 as the Mrs would use it abit.He told me that it has been put on the long finger and may not get don't ontill after Xmas,the reason been they are not cutting any buses so other routes are a priority as they are still looking for voluntary redundancy's so need to cut.

Just been on to them again about the maps. I was given the wrong info yesterday :eek: - maps wont be live until Sunday!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

There is a change to the 37 timetable next sunday 18th

Not sure about other changes but the 23.45 ex blanch departures are gone last departure is now at 23.30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Does anyone know what has happened to route 161 which was supposed to connect Upper Rathmines/Dartry to Churchtown in place of the 14A?

We had a chat about this a few weeks ago, and some said that although infrequent, it would be a good enough alternative That's as may be, but the 14A is gone and there is stil no sign of the new service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭teol

thomasj wrote: »
    There is a change to the 37 timetable next sunday 18th

Not sure about other changes but the 23.45 ex blanch departures are gone last departure is now at 23.30

The 37 has destroyed UrBus. UrBus has cancelled their weekend timetable and slashed their weekday times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

teol wrote: »
    The 37 has destroyed UrBus.

I don't see how, seeing the 37 serves neither Swords nor the Airport. The reduced service on Urbus is a victim of the marketplace, like everybody else, even Dublin Bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Does anyone know what has happened to route 161 which was supposed to connect Upper Rathmines/Dartry to Churchtown in place of the 14A?

We had a chat about this a few weeks ago, and some said that although infrequent, it would be a good enough alternative That's as may be, but the 14A is gone and there is stil no sign of the new service.

You might be thinking of the 61. I've seen it in service quite a lot around Nutgrove. Not many people on it, mind, so I guess people don't really know about it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

That was the original plan for Route 61, but following the public consultation it was rerouted to run through Churstown, Milltown and Ranelagh.

And that leaves no bus at all running from Upper Rathmines/Dartry to Churchtown, and no bus at all on the Dropping Well side of Milltown.

When was this "public consultation" and why did I not hear about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

And that leaves no bus at all running from Upper Rathmines/Dartry to Churchtown, and no bus at all on the Dropping Well side of Milltown.

No. There are still more changes to happen in the surrounding areas so there is a chance other routes may run through the area, although the current proposals don't suggest this will be the case.
    When was this "public consultation" and why did I not hear about it?

There were Dublin Bus roadshows at a few locations in the areas affected. The dates were announced on their website, in press, Facebook and Twitter.

I was at the Terenure roadshow. There was no consultation beyond a suggestions form. That is not a public consultation. DB had absolutely no consultative basis whatever for changing the route of the 161.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I was at the Terenure roadshow. There was no consultation beyond a suggestions form. That is not a public consultation. DB had absolutely no consultative basis whatever for changing the route of the 161.

What type of forum would meet your needs and the needs of all stakeholders?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭qerty

Changes to the 26/66/66a/66b/66x

26 is seemingly being removed from Ballyfermot! That's a shame, it garnered quite a bit of patronage and gave a direct connection to chapelizod etc.

But having said that...the new timetable suggests that it wil still operate via Ballyfermot.....not sure

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/Routes-26-66-66a-66b-and-66x-timetable-changes/

I strongly suspect that some local councillor pulled some strings. FG almost managed to have the 128 rerouted via Ranelagh a year or 2 ago, but an outcry stopped them. That is the way some of these things are decided.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭noelfirl

qerty wrote: »

26 is seemingly being removed from Ballyfermot! That's a shame, it garnered quite a bit of patronage and gave a direct connection to chapelizod etc.

But having said that...the new timetable suggests that it wil still operate via Ballyfermot.....not sure

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/Routes-26-66-66a-66b-and-66x-timetable-changes/

:eek: I live just off Kennelsfort Road. There is simply not justification outside of peak hours for the route to operate that way. Worse then that, it's not even being extended back up to the old Cherryorchard terminus. It's a friggin stub! A menial little stub that will be carrying thin air 90% of the time. Seems a shame, I know it didn't garner huge amounts of patronage in Ballyfermot proper but seemed to be doing OK from Blackditch and some in Islandbridge (which it is also being take out of, by the looks of it).

Just as a matter of interest, I had thought that the new 14 was to retain elements of the old 14 and the old 14a -- going down Orwell Pk or Highfield Rd to connect Upper Rathmines Rd with Orwell Rd. It seems to the case that the 14a was just dropped entirely in favour of retaining the 14's route. Not that this inconveniences me in the least, but Trinity Halls used to be a busy stop and now it has no service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

noelfirl wrote: »
    :eek: I live just off Kennelsfort Road. There is simply not justification outside of peak hours for the route to operate that way. Worse then that, it's not even being extended back up to the old Cherryorchard terminus. It's a friggin stub! A menial little stub that will be carrying thin air 90% of the time. Seems a shame, I know it didn't garner huge amounts of patronage in Ballyfermot proper but seemed to be doing OK from Blackditch and some in Islandbridge (which it is also being take out of, by the looks of it).
    I'd say they are changing this route so that it will only carry thin air in the future. After a year Dublin Bus will be able to give that reason as an excuse to cancel the bus completely and scrap four buses in the process.

If anybody can come up with a better reason why they'd take it out of a huge centre of population (Ballyfermot) I'd like to know:rolleyes:?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Aard wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, I had thought that the new 14 was to retain elements of the old 14 and the old 14a -- going down Orwell Pk or Highfield Rd to connect Upper Rathmines Rd with Orwell Rd. It seems to the case that the 14a was just dropped entirely in favour of retaining the 14's route. Not that this inconveniences me in the least, but Trinity Halls used to be a busy stop and now it has no service.

But isn't the 128 a very very short walk from Trinity Halls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

BenShermin wrote: »
    I'd say they are changing this route so that it will only carry thin air in the future. After a year Dublin Bus will be able to give that reason as an excuse to cancel the bus completely and scrap four buses in the process.

If anybody can come up with a better reason why they'd take it out of a huge centre of population (Ballyfermot) I'd like to know:rolleyes:?
    Of course not before Dublin Bus spend hundreds of Euro once again changing the timetable information posters along Ballyfermot Road to take the route 26 information off them.

And of course then a few months later again they'll have to spend even more money on putting up the new route 40 and 79 information up:rolleyes:.

Come January I'm not renewing my bus ticket, as getting from the city centre to Ballyfermot by car will be much faster. Notwork Destruct has lost Dublin Bus yet another customer, good riddance:mad:!

But isn't the 128 a very very short walk from Trinity Halls?
    Whoops -- yeah :o Completely forgot!

===

In response to the poster who said there was no link between Upper Rathmines Road and Churchtown -- there's always the Luas, which given waiting times would probably be just as quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

qerty wrote: »

That's odd. Would the 26 have better patronage if it ran via Ballyfermot and then into Palmerstown, thence terminating at Liffey Valley Centre? or possibly being extended over the current route 25's route to terminate at Dodsborough (i.e. via Ballyfermot), so that we could change the 25B to Adamstown into the 25?

Turning the 26 back into the 1970s/early 1980s version is worse than useless. Calling it a "benefit" is misinforming the public. There are more than enough buses serving Palmerstown on the N4, and there would be no difference in service between Chapelizod and Palmerstown even operating via Kylemore Road and Ballyfermot Road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

wish they would start removing some bus stops, they are generally too close together and slow things down.
    3 roads local to me spring to mind (Abbey Road, Clonkeen Road, York Road)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement