Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,716 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

A2000 wrote: »
    Any word on how the new 13 is doing?

It doesn't happen until this Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Is there an actual list of the stops that this new and more direct, more networked, same frequency, longer journey 13 will be servicing anywhere? :confused:

Bambi wrote: »
    Is there an actual list of the stops that this new and more direct, more networked, same frequency, longer journey 13 will be servicing anywhere? :confused:

The route will start in Harristown, then follow the existing 13a route to city centre (except that it will not serve Shangan/Coultry or indeed Sillogue), and from College Street will follow the existing 51c route to Nangor Road in Clondalkin and then will follow the existing 51b route around Bawnogue to Grange Castle.

The more direct element of the route is taking out the loops in Ballymun.

Thats great but I'd like to know about the actual stops, not the route. I have a sneaking suspicion that these gimps are not going to have a stop from the start of O'Connell street to lord edward street.

And if they were really concerned about shaving journey times down they could have excluded the part of the route that no one is actually on the bus for...Ikea to Harristown. 12 minutes off each journey time right there.:)

Of course they will also know that the drumcondra route outbound is far slower than the whitworth road but nevermind...less is more, longer is faster etc etc.

Thats great but I'd like to know about the actual stops, not the route. I have a sneaking suspicion that these gimps are not going to have a stop from the start of O'Connell street to lord edward street.

And if they were really concerned about shaving journey times down they could have excluded the part of the route that no one is actually on the bus for...Ikea to Harristown. 12 minutes off each journey time right there.:)

Of course they will also know that the drumcondra route outbound is far slower than the whitworth road but nevermind...less is more, longer is faster etc etc.

I think you're being a bit unfair to DB here.

Driver changes for Harristown operated buses will (I imagine) now take place at the depot so it does mean that it is not that daft an idea to operate from there.

I would imagine that there will be a stop on D'Olier Street (to correspond with the existing 51b/c terminus on Hawkins Street, and then the existing 51b/c stop at College Green (Ulster Bank), with corresponding stops at the Central Bank and the existing 13 stop on Westmoreland Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭A2000

Forgot it was next week. I find it odd that 13 will not serve the mill centre in clondalkin which was a busy stop for 51b. It will now be served by 68 which doesnt serve bawnogue and new 76/a. I would have sent 68 via 51c and 13 via route 51b .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Wow, that's quite an opinion you have on Dublin Bus.

As has been mentioned here already, the city centre stops are being realigned with these changes. My guess is it will stop on O'Connell Street, again on D'Olier Street and then Dame Street with the current 123 stops to James' Street. Northbound there should be no real change to the existing 78A/13 stops.
    I find it odd that 13 will not serve the mill centre in clondalkin which was a busy stop for 51b.

It's not that much of a walk to be fair. Citybound buses still stop just across the road at the junction, and outbound buses towards Grange Castle are only a short walk through the village. Perhaps they wanted a higher frequency on Convent Road than the 68/69.

Its a bit of a walk tho if carrying shopping. I wonder if the original map should have had tower road instead of convent road which is a common mistake in clondalkin and 13 will actually operate via rte 51b? Theres nothing on the timetable to distinguish either way. Very few people ever at stops up convent road except school times.

Its a bit of a walk tho if carrying shopping. I wonder if the original map should have had tower road instead of convent road which is a common mistake in clondalkin and 13 will actually operate via rte 51b? Theres nothing on the timetable to distinguish either way. Very few people ever at stops up convent road.

I'd imagine quite a few on Fonthill Road though?

lxflyer wrote: »
    I think you're being a bit unfair to DB here.

Driver changes for Harristown operated buses will (I imagine) now take place at the depot so it does mean that it is not that daft an idea to operate from there.

Does the driver change every time the bus terminates? I doubt it. must be some other reason for insisting that the bus goes all the way to harristown. What could it be :confused:

• Advertisement

Possibly but not enough to cut out the shopping centre. I foresee a big increase in business for mill cabs if this is the case. If 68 & 69 went via fonthill rd that should b an adequate service and 68 would b duplicating 51 c

Does the driver change every time the bus terminates? I doubt it. must be some other reason for insisting that the bus goes all the way to harristown. What could it be :confused:

Given a return journey from Harristown to Grange Castle would take about 3.5 hours then yes I'd imagine the majority of Harristown operated 13s would change driver at Harristown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

It makes sense and cuts costs to have a driver change over in the depot where possible. As lxflyer mentions, the new route is long enough for a driver to do one return trip, break, then do another return trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Possibly but not enough to cut out the shopping centre. I foresee a big increase in business for mill cabs if this is the case. If 68 & 69 went via fonthill rd that should b an adequate service and 68 would b duplicating 51 c

I don't think the walk from The Mill Stop to the new stop at tesco would introduce a 'big increase' in taxi usage from the Mill. It might lead to an incease in tesco shopping though

I think it would as people will b unwilling to make the walk with shopping. Cabs already do well at the mill even with 51b stopping outside. Also cant see many trading in shopping in the shopping centre in favour of tescos. I would imagine the stop opposite molloys would b closer for outbound pax anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

A bus every 30 minutes in the evening. Hmm. The service level of 15-20 minutes in the evening for the 51B/C alone results in very healthy loads. One bus missed in that 15 minute service causes a very high load, even at 9, 10, 11pm.

So the service level is twice as bad.

By the way are the student-y types who are boarding the 16s today on D'Olier St to do with the Network Direct to gauge numbers? They're taking tickets from the wayfarer before getting off and using the information from the print out on all-important clipboards and everything.

the off peak frequency for 13 off peak was 15 mins during consultation. This is still on the initial db page. How were people given ample opportunity to complain when they were given incorrect information to begin with? Late nite services to clondalkin were approx every 15- 20 mins on 51b/c as were 13 in ballymun. They are now every 30 mins. Not good enough. I would also class 20.00 - 23.30 as off peak.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You have to admit that it is pretty bad that the new route 13 is going live on Sunday and the links to the route maps are still not working.

All the info should be available at least one week before a major route change like this.

The map in the ballymun clondalkin brochure has been amended re routes 76/a. Now shows neither serving liffey valley & both serving ballyfermot.

bk wrote: »
    You have to admit that it is pretty bad that the new route 13 is going live on Sunday and the links to the route maps are still not working.

All the info should be available at least one week before a major route change like this.

It would appear that those gremlins have FINALLY been overcome.

Google maps is now working for the new revised timetables at last!!!

• Advertisement

I'm working the new timetable out at almost 30 less bus journeys per week in comparison to the old 13/A.

Nice improvement alright.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Late nite services to clondalkin were approx every 15- 20 mins on 51b/c as were 13 in ballymun. They are now every 30 mins. Not good enough. I would also class 20.00 - 23.30 as off peak.

I was on AX608 last night which was operating the 2255 ex-Hawkins St service. A gap of 20 minutes. There were 34 people on it in the first three stops. That's a very healthy load for the third last bus, add the extra ten minutes and a few stragglers from the northside section of the 13. 30 minutes will be too wide a gap.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I'm working the new timetable out at almost 30 less bus journeys per week in comparison to the old 13/A.

Nice improvement alright.

I read someone who made a similar post on Facebook, and the answer from Dublin Bus was priceless, pure gold when it comes to spin - I believe Aleksmart said in another they should stop dressing everything up in positive spin, the latest part is astounding.

Poster:
    Regarding the changes to the route 13/a that you're implementing can you confirm the following figures are correct (they're from your website):

Weekday journeys (current timetable): 69
    Weekday journeys (new timetable ): 67

Saturday journeys (old timetable): 64
    Saturday journeys (new timetable):55

Sunday journeys (old timetable): 47
    Sunday journeys (new timetable): 37

Once you've confirmed these figures can you then explain how these cuts are an improvement, as claimed by your wesbite?

Their reply?
    Further to your query, the benefits offered by the revised Route 13 will be as follows:
    - A significant increase in services in Bawnogue, Fonthill Road South/St. John's Wood, Drumcondra and Griffith Avenue.
    - More consistent intervals between service departures
    - Greater cross city penetration
    Through a combination of the above, the revised Route 13 will offer a significant improvement to its customers.

Also interesting to note that the peak time frequency of 12 mins on the 13 is just over an hour morning and evening in each direction. Overall there could b loading problems inbound at woodford if there are any delays on 13 as its the only route serving the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Odd_Thomas

The new 54A bill has been approved by the drivers, so its coming soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭The Skulls

Odd_Thomas wrote: »
    The new 54A bill has been approved by the drivers, so its coming soon.

Didn't realise the 54A was being changed under network direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Yeah I'd say that most of the citybound new 13's will be full by the time they reach the stop in Woodford opposite Boomer's pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

There is signs up in bawnouge for the bus drivers and stops have route numbers changed and the 210 is still on it I taught the 210 is going

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

ax586 wrote: »
    There is signs up in bawnouge for the bus drivers and stops have route numbers changed and the 210 is still on it I taught the 210 is going

the 210 is going at a later stage. (I presume when the 76/166 changes come in)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

just thought i'd throw this in here as clondalkin is getting its changes tomorrow

but around most of clondalkin are big yellow signs with dublin bus on them and arrows telling drivers where to go.....

what a great start !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement