Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Any idea when the new timetables and route maps etc will be up for the new 76/76a?

Has that change been implemented yet? Because the website still has the old one with the 76 going from Blanch / Ballyfermot to Tallaght when now it should go from Chapelizod to Tallaght. The Network Direct page just has "Changes will be made to the timetable at a later date".

It's very confusing. Has it changed? Are the Blanch / Ballyfermot departure times now the Chapelizod departure times??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Nobody should ever have to pay more than €1.90 for a bus though, with the T90 tickets. Unless a very infrequent customer who doesn't want to pay €19 in one go that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,716 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Any idea when the new timetables and route maps etc will be up for the new 76/76a?

Has that change been implemented yet? Because the website still has the old one with the 76 going from Blanch / Ballyfermot to Tallaght when now it should go from Chapelizod to Tallaght. The Network Direct page just has "Changes will be made to the timetable at a later date".

It's very confusing. Has it changed? Are the Blanch / Ballyfermot departure times now the Chapelizod departure times??

The 76/a/b have not changed - the current routings and timetables are continuing for the moment.

No indications yet as to when the changes will be implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭A2000

Seems to be drivers familiarising themselves with the route for 79 around spiddal park today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

A2000 wrote: »
    Seems to be drivers familiarising themselves with the route for 79 around spiddal park today.
    Speaking of Ballyfermot, I saw a 26 during the week picking up passengers on Ballyfermot Road going towards Palmerstown. Lost much??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

A2000 wrote: »

so is the next batch of changes the ballyfermot area? will we hear them in the coming days and any chance the 76s will be included?

Will b via current route around spiddal pk to and from parkwest

26 in ballyfermot again this evening. Seems the driver was on holidays and nobody told him the route had changed again while he was away. Controller told him over radio. A few confused pax takin the long way home

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I live along the Fonthill road near the Liffey Valley end and over the past few days I've seen 3 13's and a 25a :pac: with some very confused looking drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Looking at the posts it's a case of Network They Wrecked strikes again. If they left the routes as they were, there'd be no confused drivers and customers. I am sitting here looking at the flyer about the changes to the Ballymun, Clondalkin and Inchicore routes. Pride of place is the little chart showing how 7 routes have been amalgamated into 3. That along with other notes about places no longer being served shows the continued madness of this whole project. At least the people of Inchicore and Clondalkin have access to the Luas. Expect an increased amount of passengers on it due to disenfranchised customers of Dublin Bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Saw a 13 heading to town the past the Mill Centre like the old 51B did.Are they sending the new 13's both ways(up Convent Road like the old 51C and past the Mill like the old 51B) or was that driver just mistakenly following the old route?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

Flukey wrote: »
    Looking at the posts it's a case of Network They Wrecked strikes again. If they left the routes as they were, there'd be no confused drivers and customers.Bus.
    I don't think Dublin Bus could have ever kept the status quo to be honest, there was a need to make the network more efficient.

After many teething problems I'd call phase one a success. Peoples commuting times on the 46a, 25a/b and 39a have been slashed due to more direct routings. Buses like the 145 now connect Heuston with places like UCD, in other words places where people actually want to go!

However that success has been short lived and phase two saw Dublin Bus make dreadful decisions, made even worse by meddling politicians. Mergers like the 68 and 150 have taken buses off the QBCs and significantly lengthened peoples commutes. At the same time the QBCs that these routes used to serve are now suffering overcrowding (ie Crumlin) and are turning people back to their cars.

Direct routes like the 78 and 79a are being scrapped in favour of slower routes that don't have continous bus lanes, in other words making them indirect under a program called network direct???

let's not forget about the butchering of frequent timetables, one of the most successful routes in Ireland, route 4 was completely destroyed and this thread shows that subsequent overcrowding turned many users of that route back to their cars.

Of course all this overcrowding is occurring at a time where Dublin Bus still choose to run routes carrying thin air, like the 26 and the 210. The mind boggles, Notwork Destruct indeed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

I don't think Dublin Bus could have ever kept the status quo to be honest, there was a need to make the network more efficient
    There are other ways to do that. Playing with the route structure without heavy input from passengers and potential passengers, primarily, is merely moving the deck-chairs around. Then again, somehow changing the paint scheme every decade or less is supposed to help?

I still don't get why the general rule that dictates longer routes are less efficient was ignored.

BenShermin, phase one was and continues to be a disaster. As a regular user, I know. The routes are faster for drivers, but passengers that used to have buses nearer to them have had more time added to their journey to get to what is now their nearest stop than the direct routes save. Others have completely lost services. It should be about the passengers. Each phase announcement has more about what buses are going and what places that won't be served rather than improvements. "Network They Wrecked", as I keep calling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

BenShermin, phase one was and continues to be a disaster. .

I disagree. the 46a and 145 certainly are a big improvement on before (maybe not the Heuston stretch though) but more frequent, faster and hasn't stop servicing anywhere really that isn't within a few minutes walk anyway.

OK so haven't been there for the last 6 weeks but I imagine little has changed since then.

Cookie_Monster, the 46A may not be far from places it served before, but buses that served places a little bit further away are gone completely. It is not just about the 46A and 145. They improved them, maybe, but at the cost of other services.

Now, if I was Dublin Bus, I'd bring in a brand new route. I'd run it from UCD to the Phoenix Park and call it the 10. I'd bring in one called the 10a from Stillorgan to the Phoenix Park. I'd bring in a new route called the 46B and run it from the Sandyford Industrial Estate to Parnell Square. I'd then shorten the 46A route and just run it to Mountjoy Square from Dún Laoghaire. I'd also reroute other parts of it, doing a really radical thing: bring it near where people that want to use it live; Monkstown Farm for example. I'd do a few other changes too, like run the 63 from Kiltiernan into the city. Changes like that would significantly improve the system. In other parts of the city I'd bring in a few new routes and call them the 13a, 19, 51b, 51c and 121, amongst others. I think you get the picture!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

BenShermin wrote: »
    I don't think Dublin Bus could have ever kept the status quo to be honest, there was a need to make the network more efficient.

After many teething problems I'd call phase one a success. Peoples commuting times on the 46a, 25a/b and 39a have been slashed due to more direct routings. Buses like the 145 now connect Heuston with places like UCD, in other words places where people actually want to go!

However that success has been short lived and phase two saw Dublin Bus make dreadful decisions, made even worse by meddling politicians. Mergers like the 68 and 150 have taken buses off the QBCs and significantly lengthened peoples commutes. At the same time the QBCs that these routes used to serve are now suffering overcrowding (ie Crumlin) and are turning people back to their cars.

Direct routes like the 78 and 79a are being scrapped in favour of slower routes that don't have continous bus lanes, in other words making them indirect under a program called network direct???

let's not forget about the butchering of frequent timetables, one of the most successful routes in Ireland, route 4 was completely destroyed and this thread shows that subsequent overcrowding turned many users of that route back to their cars.

Of course all this overcrowding is occurring at a time where Dublin Bus still choose to run routes carrying thin air, like the 26 and the 210. The mind boggles, Notwork Destruct indeed!!

I laughed at the notion that the 79A is a direct route - I'd walk from Park West to the Kylemore Road in the time it takes to get there, and that's before the new addition of the spur to Spiddal Pk! Having said that it will be nice to be able to get the bus after 10pm on a Sunday night going to Park West. These changes were proposed over year ago so maybe it is going to happen soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

I was waiting for a 13 yesterday on o connell street waiting to go back to clondalkin and the real time info said one was due in 1 min and that never showed so the next was in 17 mins and when that was due it never showed either then one decided to show up about ten mins later but drove right passed andbit was empty lot of angry punters at the stop lucky dublin bus HQ wasn't open when this happened

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Do 45s stop at Bray Station? I was on AX640 this evening (2130 ex-Merrion Sq), went straight up Bray Main St. I was expecting it to turn left towards the station..

That's odd. Oldcourt buses on the 45 used to always go straight on Main Street and not operate via Quinsborough Road. Of course, nowadays the 45 is a shadow of what it used to be, so they can force you to use the 145 or the DART you see (or drive; why else would they have built the M11 and M50)...and the timetable shows a single trip operating "via Esplanade". (The 45A is more frequent nowadays. Is the Esplanade that barren of bus trips now, even during the summer?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,716 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

dfx- wrote: »
    Do 45s stop at Bray Station? I was on AX640 this evening (2130 ex-Merrion Sq), went straight up Bray Main St. I was expecting it to turn left towards the station..

No the 45 goes along the main street.

Only the single journey at 0830 from Dun Laoghaire passes adjacent to the railway station.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

ax586 wrote: »
    I was waiting for a 13 yesterday on o connell street

They're certainly not every 12 minutes anyway. have had to wait 20 minutes more often than not in the early evening (peak)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Cookie_Monster, the 46A may not be far from places it served before, but buses that served places a little bit further away are gone completely. It is not just about the 46A and 145. They improved them, maybe, but at the cost of other services.

Now, if I was Dublin Bus, I'd bring in a brand new route. I'd run it from UCD to the Phoenix Park and call it the 10. I'd bring in one called the 10a from Stillorgan to the Phoenix Park. I'd bring in a new route called the 46B and run it from the Sandyford Industrial Estate to Parnell Square. I'd then shorten the 46A route and just run it to Mountjoy Square from Dún Laoghaire. I'd also reroute other parts of it, doing a really radical thing: bring it near where people that want to use it live; Monkstown Farm for example. I'd do a few other changes too, like run the 63 from Kiltiernan into the city. Changes like that would significantly improve the system. In other parts of the city I'd bring in a few new routes and call them the 13a, 19, 51b, 51c and 121, amongst others. I think you get the picture!

Any chance of telling us how you'd pay for all these changes?

Now, if I was Dublin Bus, I'd bring in a brand new route. I'd run it from UCD to the Phoenix Park and call it the 10. I'd bring in one called the 10a from Stillorgan to the Phoenix Park. I'd bring in a new route called the 46B and run it from the Sandyford Industrial Estate to Parnell Square. I'd then shorten the 46A route and just run it to Mountjoy Square from Dún Laoghaire. I'd also reroute other parts of it, doing a really radical thing: bring it near where people that want to use it live; Monkstown Farm for example. I'd do a few other changes too, like run the 63 from Kilternan into the city. Changes like that would significantly improve the system. In other parts of the city I'd bring in a few new routes and call them the 13A, 19, 51B, 51C and 121, amongst others. I think you get the picture!
    So, reverse Network Direct to the point of a few years back...? :P

You might be aware that the 46B used to be called the 64/64A, right? and that the recent 13A was actually once the 36/A/B? and that the only difference between the two routes before the creation of route 13A was shifting the terminus from Parnell Square West to Merrion Square? (I still can't figure out how Merrion Square residents tolerate bus layovers there nowadays; never used to be a single layover at that location.) I still like the idea of bringing back route 62 and running it to Sandyford, or possibly making it a new route serving Belarmine or one of those locations.

I really disliked the creation of the 51B/C as its recent form (I recall the original 51B to Bawnogue and 51C to St. John's Meadows, before they took over the 21A Woodford route); the numbers should have been 51 and 51A (i.e. once the 51A to Beaumont was gone). But now it's all the 13, and the 51X isn't the 13X.

The 46A at the very least should drop the alpha suffix. It's not the same 46A as even recently (i.e. running via Abbey Road and Monkstown Farm, and do any buses run between the city centre and there nowadays?), and the original route 46 is long gone, replaced by the oddly-numbered and just-as-infrequent 7B (which is not a branch of route 7).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

CIE wrote: »
    ..and the timetable shows a single trip operating "via Esplanade". (The 45A is more frequent nowadays. Is the Esplanade that barren of bus trips now, even during the summer?)

Originally there wasn't any services on the Esplanade or Putland Rd with the Network changes, bus stop heads were removed and all. Then they put that one single service on. There must be phenomenal demand at early weekday mornings to go to the beach.
    Dodge wrote: »
    They're certainly not every 12 minutes anyway. have had to wait 20 minutes more often than not in the early evening (peak)

Nothing going westward on Dame St from 1605 to 1655 this evening anyways. The at stop display on O'Connell St which is based on real time information and track the bus from departure and is reliable and accurate etc etc....said there'd be 4 of them, not a single one. The displays did say that the buses that were due were coming along in pairs too. I did see one Harristown based bus going northwards, so that's maybe just getting back into the city about now..

That never happened with the 51B/C.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SafetyPin

Last Friday, I waited a full hour on Dame Street from 3:15pm til 4:15pm before a 13 turned up, this was supposed to be a 15minute frequency schedule right? .

Also what I've noticed recently is the 13's are now alot busier and packed than usual. For example at 3pm today, it was at it's capacity leaving O'Connell street. Which hasn't been the case on the previous 13/a routes (unless during rush hour, obviously)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

phasers wrote: »
    There must be serious issues behind the 78a/40 merger for it to take this long... it must be over a year now since it was announced! :D

Again, does anyone have any idea when the change to 40 may be implemented, (serving D'Olier St) or what the hold up is?

It's quite an annoyance for residents of Kilmainham/Inchicore, as the two routes serving this area (13 and 78a) depart separately from the city centre. Particularly, as the new 13 is proving to be quite unreliable.

At least the old 51b/c left Hawkins St 95% bang on time.

Now it's a matter, of, go to D'Olier St, check the display to see if a 13 is due. There may be one posted as due in 2 mins or 32 mins. Then, take a guess if the display is correct:rolleyes: Decide whether to wait, or else trot on to Aston Quay, for the same game with the 78A.

CIE wrote: »
    So, reverse Network Direct to the point of a few years back...? :P

You might be aware that the 46B used to be called the 64/64A, right?

Well reversing Network They Wrecked would certainly improve the services and bring them back to the people. I remember the 64, 64A, 62 etc. and all of those other routes that served the now abandoned Kilmacud terminus... all in the name of improvement. In the past year, since Network They Wrecked came in, often when I've been going to Stillorgan or Kilmacud, I've got the Luas instead of the bus. Today I had to go to Clondalkin. With the recent changes there on the buses, I ended up getting the Luas to the Red Cow and walking to the village. So Network They Wrecked has encouraged me to use the Luas more often in the past year... and many others to do the same. Dublin Bus is meant to be a public service and a business, and I know they have to try to balance the two. As they try to improve the public service, which they are failing to do, the result is that they are losing customers, such as myself. So their wonderful improvements are disenfranchising their customers and losing them business. So a lot of what they've done in the past year should be reversed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Baron de Robeck

The word on the ground is that the 13 is having difficulty making its running time with late buses leaving gaps in service frequency. Buses being "regulated" to get back on time (i.e. not covering the full route) and the inevitable overcrowding are knock-on effects.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Any reason to why the app says 6 buses are due at the same time ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement