Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

I wouldn't be surprised if they renumbered the "new" 39a as the 10, if only to please the tabloid-types.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

use a bike :) much faster and cheaper ;) and healthier :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

any reason they fail to mention this withdrawal in the release today?

It is not a withdrawal, the service is still there, there's just a different number on the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

The next few months will draw the worst kind of politician out of the woodwork, trying to stir up a fury over the withdrawal of our precious meandering disused bus services.

You could see the start of it in Fintan O'Toole's article with his description of the dreadful effect of improving bus services on the most vulnerable in society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

dynamick wrote: »
    The next few months will draw the worst kind of politician out of the woodwork, trying to stir up a fury over the withdrawal of our precious meandering disused bus services.

You could see the start of it in Fintan O'Toole's article with his description of the dreadful effect of improving bus services on the most vulnerable in society.

Yes, I'm dreading this. I despise how media is written these days, constantly focusing on the negative aspects and never mentioning the benefits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Time for us to craft a letter to the Indo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

I see that the 63 bus is now being used as a feeder bus to Dun Laoghaire. Is this an improvement?

However, I do feel sorry for those in Ballycoolin and Tyrrellstown as this stretch of the 38 and it's variants seem to have been airbrushed off the map. As someone else mentioned on this board, tens of thousands of people work out here. Unless, there is a completely different plan for these areas. I hope so. One other thing to note is that Phoenix Park Commuter Station seems to be a perfect place to put an interchange as it is easy to slip on and slip off the N3 Navan Road. While it looks like Dalkey won't benefit from any of these measures, I sure as hell hope to god that it will benefit those who live in the likes of Tallaght, Lucan, Ballymun and other outer suburbs out of reach of the DART. After all, these areas should have had DART from their beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

I see that the 63 bus is now being used as a feeder bus to Dun Laoghaire. Is this an improvement?

However, I do feel sorry for those in Ballycoolin and Tyrrellstown as this stretch of the 38 and it's variants seem to have been airbrushed off the map. As someone else mentioned on this board, tens of thousands of people work out here. Unless, there is a completely different plan for these areas. I hope so. One other thing to note is that Phoenix Park Commuter Station seems to be a perfect place to put an interchange as it is easy to slip on and slip off the N3 Navan Road. While it looks like Dalkey won't benefit from any of these measures, I sure as hell hope to god that it will benefit those who live in the likes of Tallaght, Lucan, Ballymun and other outer suburbs out of reach of the DART. After all, these areas should have had DART from their beginning.

The residents of Ballyogan have been campaigning for a direct bus in Dun Laoghaire for some time - that's where the council offices are.

The 40D remains serving Ballycoolin and Tyrellstown.

I would imagine some 38/a buses will continue to service Ballycoolin during peak hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

Unless you're a hard pressed commuter on the 25/a route there's absolutely no improvement to this corridor. It looks like all North Kildare services will continue to travel at a snails pace through Chapelizod.

I feel Dublin Bus should have used the 26 as a means to getting all the Lucan QBC buses onto the Chapelizod by pass. Dublin Bus should have made no changes to the 26 routing, instead they should have made it into a high frequency service connecting the Lucan QBC with Chapelizod at Kennelsfort Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

KC61 wrote: »
    The residents of Ballyogan have been campaigning for a direct bus in Dun Laoghaire for some time - that's where the council offices are.

I had expected the 44/63 to stop entering Ballyogan once the Luas arrives, but seeing as the 63 is going to be a feeder essentially I guess it makes sense for it to stay, assuming it's WV operated. Too many kids running across the road around that estate, making it a dangerous place to operate a double decker.

• Advertisement

BenShermin wrote: »
    Unless you're a hard pressed commuter on the 25/a route there's absolutely no improvement to this corridor. It looks like all North Kildare services will continue to travel at a snails pace through Chapelizod.

I feel Dublin Bus should have used the 26 as a means to getting all the Lucan QBC buses onto the Chapelizod by pass. Dublin Bus should have made no changes to the 26 routing, instead they should have made it into a high frequency service connecting the Lucan QBC with Chapelizod at Kennelsfort Road.

Remember that the 66X and 67X will continue to operate via the by-pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

BenShermin wrote: »

Its a bit unfair to say there is no improvement to this corridor. There is an increased service to Maynooth, new simpler timetables, buses now travel across the city serving Grafton Street and Stephens Green and the 66x and 67x will continue to use the Chapelizod Bypass. To be honest I have never experienced any congestion in Chapelizod and buses normally fly through there. There is possibly a demand for the 66/67 to travel through Conyngham Road, Islandbridge and Chapelizod.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

What do they mean when they say the 66 will serve Glen Easton? Does this mean that the 66 will be diverted off the main maynooth leixlip road into housing estates?

stop wrote: »
    I had expected the 44/63 to stop entering Ballyogan once the Luas arrives, but seeing as the 63 is going to be a feeder essentially I guess it makes sense for it to stay, assuming it's WV operated. Too many kids running across the road around that estate, making it a dangerous place to operate a double decker.

How is a WV safer than a double decker? They are the same size, in fact, the WV is longer than an RV. I would imagine the WVs should be phased out. There is only requirement for one small bus on the 44B. Everything else is double deck accessible. Perhaps the 44B should be tendered out to a private operator with a small vehicle.

KD345 wrote: »
    Its a bit unfair to say there is no improvement to this corridor. There is an increased service to Maynooth, new simpler timetables, buses now travel across the city serving Grafton Street and Stephens Green and the 66x and 67x will continue to use the Chapelizod Bypass. To be honest I have never experienced any congestion in Chapelizod and buses normally fly through there. There is possibly a demand for the 66/67 to travel through Conyngham Road, Islandbridge and Chapelizod.

Believe me in the morning peak period there is gridlock inbound from the junction at the Mullingar House back to the top of the off ramp from the N4.

Similarly in the evening peak there is congestion from the Kylemore Road to the Mullingar House inbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

HydeRoad wrote: »
    How is a WV safer than a double decker? They are the same size, in fact, the WV is longer than an RV. I would imagine the WVs should be phased out. There is only requirement for one small bus on the 44B. Everything else is double deck accessible. Perhaps the 44B should be tendered out to a private operator with a small vehicle.
    Momentum :D

KC61 wrote: »
    Believe me in the morning peak period there is gridlock inbound from the junction at the Mullingar House back to the top of the off ramp from the N4.

Similarly in the evening peak there is congestion from the Kylemore Road to the Mullingar House inbound.

Apologies, I meant to say off peak. The Xpressos would cover the above problem during peak times. But off peak at evenings and weekends I don't see the problem with the 66 and 67 serving Chapelizod.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 cleveland browne

Meetings this week with local union reps to outline the details no word on official announcement

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Cleveland any idea of the announcement of that phase? Sounds like it'll be even more dramatic than this.

If anyone from the Dublin Bus is reading this, they really should consider sending the 66 and 67 buses via the Chapelizod Bypass. This was one of the most popular aspects of the former Circle Line services, former customers of which still ring up today and enquire if it is ever going to return.

It is simply unnecessary for those long haul routes to divert off the main drag here, and all it serves is to deter further prospective business that would help to justify extra and more frequent services. People don't want the added perceived delay of Chapelizod village. Even if buses don't lose much time during the middle of the day, customers perceive that they do, and that is important.

At least Dublin Bus should take it into serious consideration. Now is the ideal time to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

KD345 wrote: »
    Apologies, I meant to say off peak. The Xpressos would cover the above problem during peak times. But at evenings and weekends I don't see the problem with the 66 and 67 serving Chapelizod.

You are correct. Traffic flies down the N4 off ramp, through Chapelizod, and onto the Chapelizod road off peak. Morning rush is the pits though, with traffic often backed up to the Oval in Palmerstown. I am delighted to hear the 25s will use the bypass for all services. It was really stupid not to up to now.

I do feel a bit sorry for those in North Kildare. As if their journey wasn't long enough as it is! Their services will not use the by pass except for Expresso services, which is something I suppose, as a lot of North Kildare is served by rail aswell. Lucan eastwards is not.

As for the route 26. Wait for an eruption there! What.... no service up Kennelsfort road, and we have to travel through Ballyer!! OMG. Anyway, the 26 route should continue on to Liffey Valley Shopping Centre. It's only a kilometre or so, and surely it would be a logical terminus?? I also think the 26 should be capable of joining the 25 routes at some point to get into town in a flash on the by pass, so instead of terminating at Liffey Valley, continue from there back to the N4/Kennelsfort junction.

I am beginning to enjoy this. I should be on the planning board for DB!!

Am delighted for those of you who are pleased. This is a good first step. I agree with others, that I hope there isn't blah blah negativity from the usual suspects. If commuters are reasonably looked after they won't complain, but I'd say the silver brigade might have a few not so positive comments.... but they don't have to pay a fare so should they have the right to condemn something that might be good overall for the community?

Wait for the fallout folks!

I am rambling. But I am hopeful this will work.

• Advertisement

Because it puts a negative spin on what is essentially a.positive change I would.imagine

any reason they fail to mention this withdrawal in the release today?

Ray coyne is the man in charge of all this perhaps you should try contacting him.

If anyone from the Dublin Bus is reading this, they really should consider sending the 66 and 67 buses via the Chapelizod Bypass. This was one of the most popular aspects of the former Circle Line services, former customers of which still ring up today and enquire if it is ever going to return.

It is simply unnecessary for those long haul routes to divert off the main drag here, and all it serves is to deter further prospective business that would help to justify extra and more frequent services. People don't want the added perceived delay of Chapelizod village. Even if buses don't lose much time during the middle of the day, customers perceive that they do, and that is important.

At least Dublin Bus should take it into serious consideration. Now is the ideal time to change it.

If anyone from the Dublin Bus is reading this, they really should consider sending the 66 and 67 buses via the Chapelizod Bypass. This was one of the most popular aspects of the former Circle Line services, former customers of which still today ring up and enquire if it is ever going to return.

It is simply unnecessary for those long haul routes to divert of the main drag here, and all it serves is to deter further prospective business that would help to justify extra and more frequent services. People don't want the added perceived delay of Chapelizod village. Even if buses don't lose much time during the middle of the day, customers perceive that they do, and that is important.

I can see the benefits of your suggestion, but you're assuming that everybody from Maynooth and Celbridge want to go directly into the City Centre. What about passengers in Islandbridge, Ballyfermot or Chapelizod who want to use the service? The 66 and 67 are not express routes. Dublin Bus do cover the peak time service quite well with Xpresso, but by removing these routes from Chapelizod Road they would possibly disrupt a large amount of customers.

If I remember correctly, like Circle Line, Dublin Bus did run an all day 66X a few years back but it ran almost empty outside of peak hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭noelfirl

The Chapelizod bypass or not issue isn't easily resolved, especially now that there is medium density housing at the Island by the National School and further on at Islandbridge, necessitating a reasonably frequent service. But nothing can take away from the fact that is it often a nightmare during the morning peak to go from the bypass at Palmerstown through Chapelizod, with 15-20 minute slow pushes common. The most radical solution I suppose would be to have all Lucan/Leixlip/Maynooth/Celbridge services operate via the Chapelizod bypass, and have a dedicated service operate from Chapelizod village to somewhere on the other side of the city, but that of course would require resources probably better spent elsewhere. In the mean time, you may start to find people copping on to the idea of changing from a 66/67 to a 25a/b service somewhere in between the two to take advantage of the bypass, I've seen people on the 26 do that, going from upper Palmerstown down to the N4 and changing to an Xpresso.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It is not a withdrawal, the service is still there, there's just a different number on the front.

the 10 is being withdrawn and replaced by other routes with differing start and end points. dress it up however you want this is what is happening, it not a big deal but lets call a spade a spade

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

What I'm seeing is that Lucan, which has incredibly frequent busses even off-peak (I see them a lot, and they're half empty or worse) has even more busses, now skipping Chapelizod, and that Maynooth and Celbridge, which admittedly are porrly served, will have better frequency now. That's all well and good, but where does this leave Leixlip? All busses except the X still going through Chapelizod, and now serving Gleneaston, which means it'll take even longer for the 66 to reach Leixlip and they really fill up..and no increased frequency. Obviously Gleneaston and Rinawade should be served, the 66D is useless and looks to be scrapped but this will hurt the already painfully drawn-out route.

the 10 is being withdrawn and replaced by other routes with differing start and end points. dress it up however you want this is what is happening

Every inch of the number 10 route is being covered by the new scheme, probably to a higher frequency than the 10 itself. You can travel via 46A on an immensely frequent schedule from Phoenix Park all the way to the Belfield flyover. You can travel from the Belfield terminus via Baggot Street to the city via 39. The only thing you can't do is travel from Phoenix Park INTO Baggot Street itself, or INTO Belfield, both of which involve a five minute walk if you don't want to switch buses.

For a more frequent and more reliable service, plus the bonus of freeing up dozens of buses from parking in congested city streets, I'd say that's damned good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Is the 220 being withdrawn?

Also, does the withdrawal of the 38a from off peak services mean that there will be no bus route serving Castlecurragh & Warrenstown during those hours?

Is the 220 being withdrawn?

Incorporated into an extended 17A.

Edit: Would there be any merit in renumbering the new route as 170, getting rid of that superfluous 'A,' and giving the rather dowdy and tired old 17A route a new image?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Incorporated into an extended 17A.

Meaning there's no link from Mulhuddart (Ladyswell Road - old 220 terminus) as the 17a will only serve to James Connolly Hospital and the Blanchardstown Centre. The 38 doesn't serve either of those places. Also there seems to be no mention of the 238 which was Mulhuddarts link with the Blanchardstown Centre.

A lot of students from Mulhuddart and Corduff used the 220 link for schools in Finglas (students in Mater Christi, Colaiste Eoin and the Colaiste Ide college).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement