Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

dfx- wrote: »
    Anyone know about the short 68s returning late from Newcastle?

I'd have imagined (and nearly sure I saw since the Network Changes) the 68s go the quick way to C/Rd, straight on from Tyrconnell Rd instead of turning right onto Emmet Rd. As they did before the change.

But the first RTPI on Emmet Rd reads as the 68 to C/Rd stops there. Surely not..? It'd have to go through town to get to the garage, which beats the point surely..

As far as I know, the 68s marked 'c' in the timetable operate as normal to Emmet Road, but instead of turning into Bulfin, they continue along Emmet Road to Kilmainham Cross, turning left onto South Circular Road to Islandbridge and Conyngham Road.

I think some of the stops at the end of Emmet Road are marked for these few 68 journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Last two Saturday night's in a row the 23:10 69 from Rathcoole has terminated at Bachelors Walk instead of outside the central bank on Dame Street.I asked the (very nice) driver why,and he said that he'd be stuck in traffic for 20mins on Dame Street and then he wouldn't be able to get into the stop at Central Bank safely because of all the taxi's parked there,so he just let's everyone off on Bachelors Walk instead.

I sort of believe him,but I don't understand why he doesn't just continue over O'Connell Bridge,D'Olier Street and finish on either Hawkins Street or College Street instead of chucking everbody off on the opposite side of the Liffey.

Last two Saturday night's in a row the 23:10 69 from Rathcoole has terminated at Bachelors Walk instead of outside the central bank on Dame Street.I asked the (very nice) driver why,and he said that he'd be stuck in traffic for 20mins on Dame Street and then he wouldn't be able to get into the stop at Central Bank safely because of all the taxi's parked there,so he just let's everyone off on Bachelors Walk instead.

I sort of believe him,but I don't understand why he doesn't just continue over O'Connell Bridge,D'Olier Street and finish on either Hawkins Street or College Street instead of chucking everbody off on the opposite side of the Liffey.

This happens fairly regularly with the 79 on Saturday nights for the same reason. It's been that way for as long as I've been using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Karsini wrote: »
    This happens fairly regularly with the 79 on Saturday nights for the same reason. It's been that way for as long as I've been using it.
    has the 79 changes taken effect yet?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

has the 79 changes taken effect yet?

Nope. Still on its original routing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It is on hold pending construction of a new terminus on Oscar Traynor Road.

lxflyer wrote: »
    It is on hold pending construction of a new terminus on Oscar Traynor Road.

Ah damn, it's the one route change I'm actually waiting for. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭richard2010

Anyone got an update on when the the 41 route changes are coming on stream?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Anyone got an update on when the the 41 route changes are coming on stream?

I would think routes will be changed again ontill DB sort out this cost cutting plan with the unions.

Karsini wrote: »
    Ah damn, it's the one route change I'm actually waiting for.

i'm not unless it will still goe round by the quays which known my look it won't. going through town it might be handy though.

• Advertisement

i'm not unless it will still goe round by the quays which known my look it won't. going through town it might be handy though.
    It should remain on the quays. Otherwise it would just duplicate the 40.

It's not going to change in the city centre except that in both directions it will use the Quays between Heuston and the Custom House.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

Can anyone clarify what the position is with regards to last buses, are they meant to wait in the city centre point until 23:30?

I boarded the last 39 on wood quay tonight at 23:28 (by my watch - according to the rtpi display it was 23:27)

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dublinbusdude

thomasj wrote: »
    Can anyone clarify what the position is with regards to last buses, are they meant to wait in the city centre point until 23:30?

I boarded the last 39 on wood quay tonight at 23:28 (by my watch - according to the rtpi display it was 23:27)

Answer: Last buses e.g. Crosscity ones are via City Centre at 23:30

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

Answer: Last buses e.g. Crosscity ones are via City Centre at 23:30

Okay but is there not meant to be a stop in the city that they depart at 23.30?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Okay but is there not meant to be a stop in the city that they depart at 23.30?

Yep, they should be stopping in town at all stops but might be some stop might have no one at them so thats why your bus was early at the stop you got on it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Perhaps the clock on the bus might be out. They do all leave at 2330 (if they're scheduled to). The last 13 southbound gets to O'Connell St at about 2310 and sits there for 20 minutes. Always a sight on O'Connell St with buses sitting for varying amount of times. I presume the 39s designated stop is on Aston Quay

Also then the charge of the light brigade up Dame St lead by the 54A, 77A and 150s joining in.:)

That bus should have waited on Aston Quay until 23:30 - sounds like a driver error.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭howiya

Route 27 still not fixed. Got on a bus in Tallaght this morning just before 8:20 and arrived at Eden Quay at 9:03. Driver turns off the engine and ONLY when asked volunteers the information that the bus will be waiting here until 9:30am for another driver.

Tonight the 76 from Ballyfermot/Chapelizod which I boarded in Clondalkin arrives at The Square just after TWO 27s had departed the stop. The 76 used to head further west than The Square but doesn't anymore. Shouldn't these buses connect?

Do Dublin Bus actually want people using the bus?

howiya wrote: »
    Do Dublin Bus actually want people using the bus?

no, their a CIE company, a CIE company doesn't want people using its services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭howiya

Route 27 still not fixed. Got on a bus in Tallaght this morning just before 8:20 and arrived at Eden Quay at 9:03. Driver turns off the engine and ONLY when asked volunteers the information that the bus will be waiting here until 9:30am for another driver.

Got the departure prior to this service this morning and the driver continued past Eden Quay. Are passengers meant to guess which services will go cross city or stop at the liffey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Got the departure prior to this service this morning and the driver continued past Eden Quay. Are passengers meant to guess which services will go cross city or stop at the Liffey?
    Wow. Sounds like it'll be cheaper to reinstate the 77 right away. At least you'll know when it's leaving for Tallaght... :mad:

Bear in mind that with lower traffic levels buses are travelling between 10-15 minutes faster than the rest of the year, and buses will get to driver changeover points earlier than usual, which is what is causing the delay.

In an ideal world there would be separate winter and summer schedules/rosters but the amount of work involved in doing that is enormous and very complex. I think it is certainly something to add to the wish list for the future.

As with any operation involving complex driver/bus rosters, some buses will change drivers in the city and others won't. Perhaps it is something that for those journeys with a driver change mid route a footnote could be included in the timetable as "This service has a driver change at (enter location) and it is possible the bus may wait there in the event of arriving early" or words to that effect.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Why don't they do driver changes at the terminal, rather then in the city center?

I was in Newcastle over the weekend and I noticed them doing a driver change. It was done at the terminal and I noticed the replacement driver arrived by car and that the driver who got off the bus then took the same car, I would assume back to the depot.

Much less inconvenient for passengers.

I always get the impression that CIE companies do things that suit them best, rather then what suits their customers best.

Not that Newcastle transport was perfect. Funny story. Part of the Metro was out for repairs, so there was a metro replacement bus. Passing a bus stop, it had a sign and map on it pointing us to the Metro station to get the Metro replacement bus, at the Metro station there was a bus stop for the Metro replacement bus. All made sense so far, waited 30 minutes with no sign of a bus. Wondered into the Metro station where we find a sign pointing us back to the first bus stop to get the replacement bus service!!!

so now we have two signs pointing us in completely opposite directions!! Yup it turned out that the first bus stop (not the one by the Metro station) was the right stop, even with it's wrong map!!

Felt like they were channelling CIE to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Anyway, BACK ON TOPIC, what has happened to the much promised 175 bus?

Are they deliberately waiting for people to forget about it so that they don't have to implement it?

The Monkstown Ring Road, a very underused "Quality:rolleyes:" Bus Corridor is just crying out for it's implementation!;)

It really isn't worth the investment if it is only going to be used by the 7B with a mind blowing 4 journey's each way per day!:D

As per the DB facebook page about a month ago, the 175 is on hold for the significant future due to the current financial situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Joshycat

When is the howth road changes taking place its been a year and a half since they were proposed :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Dapos

Probably posted here before but does anyone else find the dublin bus website useless. You nearly have to know the start and end stop to find a route. Otherwise they will all bring you into the city centre. I find it impossible to get route info on buses along the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Dapos wrote: »
    I find it impossible to get route info on buses along the canal.

What journey are you making? Perhaps we can help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Dapos

KD345 wrote: »
    What journey are you making? Perhaps we can help?

I found one. 68. I am looking for a few routes that go from Kilmainham to camden street or rathmines direction.

I found it my using the app and seeing stops near me. Any other route suggestions?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement