Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The only other direct option is to walk to Rialto and get a 122 to Kelly's Corner.

Otherwise, you will need to go via city centre or take a 123 to Drimnagh and 18 to Rathmines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭howiya

Dapos wrote: »
    Probably posted here before but does anyone else find the dublin bus website useless. You nearly have to know the start and end stop to find a route. Otherwise they will all bring you into the city centre. I find it impossible to get route info on buses along the canal.

Was trying to use the map today to find stops and found it useless. Takes so long to move around and zoom etc

lxflyer wrote: »
    Bear in mind that with lower traffic levels buses are travelling between 10-15 minutes faster than the rest of the year, and buses will get to driver changeover points earlier than usual, which is what is causing the delay.

In an ideal world there would be separate winter and summer schedules/rosters but the amount of work involved in doing that is enormous and very complex. I think it is certainly something to add to the wish list for the future.

As with any operation involving complex driver/bus rosters, some buses will change drivers in the city and others won't. Perhaps it is something that for those journeys with a driver change mid route a footnote could be included in the timetable as "This service has a driver change at (enter location) and it is possible the bus may wait there in the event of arriving early" or words to that effect.

I wouldn't be any happier about waiting if the timetable had the above wording. You still wouldn't be in the know. If the driver knows he is only driving as far as Eden Quay this is what the display on the front of the bus should say.

Then although it's a curtailment to the route at least the passenger can think about making alternative arrangements rather than wondering what's going on when the driver turns off the engine at Eden Quay

The main attraction for using the bus at this time of year is the lighter volume of traffic yet Dublin Bus are using it as an excuse for providing a crap service

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

howiya wrote: »
    I wouldn't be any happier about waiting if the timetable had the above wording. You still wouldn't be in the know. If the driver knows he is only driving as far as Eden Quay this is what the display on the front of the bus should say.

But the bus isn't being curtailed and is going all the way to the terminus, in the case of that 27, Clare Hall. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

howiya wrote: »

Then although it's a curtailment to the route at least the passenger can think about making alternative arrangements rather than wondering what's going on when the driver turns off the engine at Eden Quay

The main attraction for using the bus at this time of year is the lighter volume of traffic yet Dublin Bus are using it as an excuse for providing a crap service

Attempting to maintain headway during the "Off-Season" can often be problematical when on a breaking journey.

Oddly enough some passengers actually appreciate gettin in ahead of time,earlier this week I was praised by a lad as he was now going to get an earlier DART than he usually does,so swings and roundabouts I suppose...;)

As it is a Crew Change only,the journey is NOT being curtailed,therefore displaying City Centre on the Destination would not be valid.

With the radial nature of Dublin Bus services and the geographical location of it's gagages,handing over at Depots is not a universal option.

This past week,for example there was a 15 minute spread between my arrival time in the City Centre Mon to Thurs,mostly due to totally unpredictable traffic conditions from Stephens Green to O Connell St...(Thurs Morn was worst....40Tonne Artic in Nassau St delivering at 10.00 ).

However,there IS one item which would be of use to the likes of Howiya,and that is a PA Announcement from the Driver,outlining the reason for the pause,and the approximate duration.

"As this trip is running somewhat early,We shall be pausing at this stop for a Crew Change,the relief driver is due along at xx.xx,anybody close to their destination may wish to leave at this point".

Information is power and keeping the pasengers in the loop is generally good practice and it short circuits a whole mess of givin-out,sighin and eye-rolling quite effectively.

However...Dublin Bus do not have a track record of encouraging Driver PA use or of delivering any ongoing training for it.

In my opinion,THAT is a significant omission.

It is even worse when we learn that CIE was one of the earliest users of PA equipment,having specified it all the way back to the Atlantean days in the 1960's.

Interestingly,having travelled widely in the UK,I have experienced quite a few mid-point Crew-Change situations and can remember none that did'nt involve some inconvienence,usually however,in the greater scheme of things,it is quickly forgotten once the journey resumes....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

Umm, if buses are running a bit early for two months or so in the summer, and this is anticipated to happen, why don't drivers simply head out ten minutes earlier to change bus?

Is there some union rule that drivers must NEVER EVER begin duty half a second before their rostered start time?

Surely if he heads out to take over his bus ten minutes earlier, the summer early running means he will finish ten minutes or so early at the end of his shift?

Is it all take and no give?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

paddyland wrote: »
    Umm, if buses are running a bit early for two months or so in the summer, and this is anticipated to happen, why don't drivers simply head out ten minutes earlier to change bus?

Is there some union rule that drivers must NEVER EVER begin duty half a second before their rostered start time?

Surely if he heads out to take over his bus ten minutes earlier, the summer early running means he will finish ten minutes or so early at the end of his shift?

I'd say its more to do with EU working time directives than anything, Alek can correct me on this, but I believe they are pretty stringent for bus drivers. And as starting earlier does not necessarily mean ending earlier the driver could, in theory breach the directives.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Have a read through this thread and perhaps review how many posters felt that driver changeovers and cross city routes were brilliant idea's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Interestingly,having travelled widely in the UK,I have experienced quite a few mid-point Crew-Change situations and can remember none that did'nt involve some inconvienence,usually however,in the greater scheme of things,it is quickly forgotten once the journey resumes....;)

The worst crew change experience I ever had was just outside John Lennon airport in Liverpool, now granted i had cut things fine, but it seemed perverse to have a change outside the airport for an airport serving service! I just made the flight so all was well in the end but very stressful at the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

I'd say its more to do with EU working time directives than anything, Alek can correct me on this, but I believe they are pretty stringent for bus drivers. And as starting earlier does not necessarily mean ending earlier the driver could, in theory breach the directives.
    Aha, the Working Time Directive; not a direct copy from the USSR's 1977 constitution but close.* An outgrowth of the goal of "full employment" that is now enshrined in Article 3 Section 3 (ex Article 2 TEU) of the Treaty of Lisbon, itself inspired by the USSR's constitution (to wit, the "abolition of unemployment" clause in Article 118 of the 1936 constitution and the "guaranteed employment" clause in Article 40 of the 1977 constitution). Statism at its finest. We stick with it, we'll be losing more than Dublin Bus services.

*Edit: The clauses in the USSR's constitution that the EU's Working Time Directive resembles most closely are those referring to "reduction of the working day to seven hours for the overwhelming majority of the workers" in Article 119 of the 1936 constitution and "the establishment of a working week not exceeding 41 hours, for workers and other employees, a shorter working day in a number of trades and industries, and shorter hours for night work" et cetera in Article 41 of the 1977 constitution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

paddyland wrote: »

Oddly enough Paddyland,and apologies for thwarting a potentially great rant,but on my own route and most others I know of,the drivers generally DO exactly as you say.

You are correct as it is give and take,which thankfully works smoothly for most situations.

It can,occasionally go pear shaped and thats like life itself,as Jedward might say.

The Union Rule notion is so far off beam it's laughable...but only CIE Group staff will know just HOW laughable it is.

Just rest assured that Unions have NOTHING whatever to do with Drivers operating arrangements in this regard.

As for the Working Time Act,it's a truly steaming pile of super-administrative odeure,as it was devised and implimented by and for "ordinary" workers...ie: those working Monday to Friday 0900 to 1700.

The reason it took so long to dribble down to mobile workers (Public Transport) was the essential unworkability of the silly thing.

For many years now shift-workers have been inundated with dire warnings about the ill effects of their lifestyle and the need for them to be vigilant etc etc...

Within the past few months we now learn that sitting for prolonged periods may significantly shorten one's life expectancy.

Now,one of the ways which Busdrivers managed to adapt to the demands of shift work was by arranging mutual shift-swops or stand-ins,all on a voluntary basis,with two like minded drivers then managing to devise a win-win situation,both for themselves,their employer and the customer......

Thankfully for the Administrative zealots,this perfectly sensible practice is now largely impossible due to the rest restrictions of this turdish act (ie: impossible to polish).

The result is Drivers often now working under duress or added pressure as they attempt to keep work and family issues smoothly interacting...It's a lose-lose situation now from a morale point of view,but hey..the paperwork is kosher so all is well. :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Attempting to maintain headway during the "Off-Season" can often be problematical when on a breaking journey.

Oddly enough some passengers actually appreciate gettin in ahead of time,earlier this week I was praised by a lad as he was now going to get an earlier DART than he usually does,so swings and roundabouts I suppose...;)

As it is a Crew Change only,the journey is NOT being curtailed,therefore displaying City Centre on the Destination would not be valid.

The reality of the situation is that the bus arrives at 9:03 on Eden Quay and is not scheduled to leave Eden Quay until 9:30 then for all intended purposes this service is only going as far as Eden Quay. No passenger will wait on the bus until the departure time because they can get on another 27 that will arrive before 9:30 or an alternative northbound route at another stop along the quay.

Information is power and if I know the bus won't be going any further than Eden Quay (within a reasonable time) I can be looking at alternative options on the Dublin Bus app before I hear the sound of the driver turning the ignition off.

The display should say City Centre and not Clarehall. I'm not talking about regular crew changes where the drivers stand and have a chat while passengers wait for the incoming driver to get into the cab . We are talking about an almost half hour wait here.

Again it's great that there is less traffic and great that I get into town quicker. That is the reason I am using the bus instead of getting a luas to Busaras and connecting to the bus on Amiens Street. But the service is ****

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Is there a map of the current services? The Route planner on the Dublin Bus website is dreadful. I'd like to see all available options at once, like they used to publish.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Is there a map of the current services? The Route planner on the Dublin Bus website is dreadful. I'd like to see all available options at once, like they used to publish.

Nate

Not at the moment. The route network is currently changing, so they appear to be waiting until this is completed before publishing a new network map.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Ahh ok that sounds reasonable.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭qerty

Anybody know why it is taking so long for any changes to take effect? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Joshycat

qerty wrote: »
    Anybody know why it is taking so long for any changes to take effect? :)
    Howth road is next followed by swords road they will be introduced before the start of the school term.The 27b and 79 amalgamation is delayed because they need to build a terminus on the Oscar Tranyor Road and the 175 route is postponed as Dublin Bus feel there is not enough demand for that route

Joshycat wrote: »
    Howth road is next followed by swords road they will be introduced before the start of the school term.The 27b and 79 amalgamation is delayed because they need to build a terminus on the Oscar Tranyor Road and the 175 route is postponed as Dublin Bus feel there is not enough demand for that route
    Terminus on Oscar Traynor Road? The buses will be doubling back from Coolock Lane? The way things sounded originally, the route was to have gone back to the old terminus at the corner of Castletimon Road and Ballyshannon Avenue. May as well just send the amalgamated 79 on to Harristown as the present 27B goes, in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭A2000

CIE wrote: »
    Terminus on Oscar Traynor Road? The buses will be doubling back from Coolock Lane? The way things sounded originally, the route was to have gone back to the old terminus at the corner of Castletimon Road and Ballyshannon Avenue. May as well just send the amalgamated 79 on to Harristown as the present 27B goes, in that case.

Would imagine 79 will go up to m1 roundabout to serve woodlawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Route 102 to be extended to Howth? Interesting development if true. Sighted on DB.ie now.

hvygo.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Remember Dublin bus boasting in adverts about 12 minutes between route 13s?

Half hour to the next one

Half hour to the next route 4

well played lads

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭A2000

Bambi wrote: »
    Remember Dublin bus boasting in adverts about 12 minutes between route 13s?

Half hour to the next one

Half hour to the next route 4

well played lads

40 runnin with 30 min gaps in both directions as well. Disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 rocuronium

Howth road is next followed by swords road they will be introduced before the start of the school term.

Howth Road? I'll believe it when I see it. That same piece of text has been up on the Dublin Bus website about the Howth Road phase of Network Direct for about 18 months. Every few months the implementation date just moves back again. I emailed Dublin Bus about a year ago asking when it would be starting (back when the commencement date was this time last year) and got no reply. I live on the Howth Road and use the service everyday. Seems like it's been forgotten about tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Joshycat

rocuronium wrote: »
    Howth Road? I'll believe it when I see it. That same piece of text has been up on the Dublin Bus website about the Howth Road phase of Network Direct for about 18 months. Every few months the implementation date just moves back again. I emailed Dublin Bus about a year ago asking when it would be starting (back when the commencement date was this time last year) and got no reply. I live on the Howth Road and use the service everyday. Seems like it's been forgotten about tbh.
    I know I use the 32B nearly everyday I am getting tired of waiting for the new 29 route to Baldoyle

No...the troika's held off on the trickle of money, TBH. Isn't it grand that something that Ireland fought for (control of its own economy) has now been so quickly surrendered to an external power?

Considering the amount of AVs reportedly going from Clontarf, I'd guess the drop of service Network Direct review must be soon..

From the Irish Passenger Transport Forum..
    Clontarf: AV61-68, 94, 95, 97, 106 (total 12 buses)

Conyngham Rd: AV98, 103 (total 2 buses)

Donnybrook: no losses

Harristown: AV54-56, 58, 60, 162, 164, 165 (total 8 buses)

Phibsboro: AV93, 96 (total 2 buses)

Ringsend: AV1, 3, 11, 13-17, 19, 104 (total 10 buses)

Summerhill: AV120, 122, 125, 126 (total 4 buses)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

dfx- wrote: »
    Considering the amount of AVs reportedly going from Clontarf, I'd guess the drop of service Network Direct review must be soon..

From the Irish Passenger Transport Forum..

Ah, but what they don't tell you is that Clontarf is getting new GT60-71, which equals . . 12 buses :-)

C635

Indeed, Mr. 635:)

It also supports an idea where the cascading buses might come from - AXs from Donnybrook, with so many AXs going, it might finally bring about a healthy mix rather than AXs everywhere at the weekend on the N11 and 7/11/75.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

In Donnybrook all bar 3 WV's have been withdrawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

so what happens to the withdrawn busses? are they sold or scrapped? i heard before that some were been withdrawn to cut costs as part of network direct? so i take it dublin bus are getting new ones to replace the ones that are life expired?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement