Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

devnull wrote: »
    Still no news on the 40D?

Inspector has been telling people at the stop that it was going to be took out of the 40 group in the second phase and run via Navan Road? a bit strange?

I would find this very difficult to believe. I really cannot see any major change to the 40D - why route another bus via the Navan Road where there are a plethora of other routes already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

KC61 wrote: »
    It would appear to be but again all of these plans may change as the public consultation takes place.

I spoke to Dublin bus and they said all the plans for Phase 1 are final and that they are no longer in the planning stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

The 47 is a fail for me, because it starts at Merrion Square, if it started north of the liffey it would be a potential way of people getting to Sandyford from the North Side or the city centre without having to get another bus or walk to Stephens Green to get a Luas.

So for most people who use two buses and a luas or one bus and the luas so far, it's not going to make things any easier, unless you're on the 47 route.

Maybe in a later phase of the review, it would be joined to a north side route which terminates in Merrion Square or else where?

angel01 wrote: »
    I spoke to Dublin bus and they said all the plans for Phase 1 are final and that they are no longer in the planning stage.

Indeed, but as a long long observer of the way these things happen, I would be surprised if there isn't a little tinkering around the edges. There can be things arising from public meetings that perhaps the network review team weren't aware of. I think the broad changes will indeed happen, but there is always a little wriggle room for small changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

yes but once the "public consultation" start the local TD and councillors will tell them to change things to keep their voters happy... as what happens with every aspect or Irish life :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Still no news on the 40D?

Inspector has been telling people at the stop that it was going to be took out of the 40 group in the second phase and run via Navan Road? a bit strange?

More or less the same distance (assuming it follows the 39 to city centre). The advantage is that more of that route is on QBCs. Disadvantage is that it won't serve the corporate parks for Tyrrelstown residents -- unless it attempts to serve both masters and runs through the corporate parks before heading down the Snugborough Road onto the N3.

Indeed, but as a long long observer of the way these things happen, I would be surprised if there isn't a little tinkering around the edges. There can be things arising from public meetings that perhaps the network review team weren't aware of. I think the broad changes will indeed happen, but there is always a little wriggle room for small changes.

What annoys me if you email or phone that network office, you only get the option to leave comments and they don't answer the emails. not great customer service. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Some sensible route suggestions there.

Thanks Cookie_Monster!:D
    I would however make slightly different ones. The 8 should be binned and the 7d frequency expanded as I think its a much more useful service, connection Dalkey to the N11 corridor to match the DART connecting the coastal corridor.

I'm not to sure about the expanded frequency. However, at least you agree that some decent and "useful" service needs to be there to cover the N11 corridor. How frequent would you suggest it become?

Maybe call it the 8 for historical purposes!:)
    Further extend the 63 from DL to Dalkey (or every 2nd one) to further cover the gap to the Luas, in terms of running time doesn't add too much.

the 59 route could probably be streamlined a bit but not sure how or where exactly, but its very indirect at the moment.

Too right there. It would be brilliant to have better connections to the green Luas line. I couldn't agree with you more about the 59. On the map, it looks like a spider web. It needs to be straightened out a lot. However, I'm not too sure how this could be done without a huge amount of sacrifices or leaving it's users disappointed.:D

I'm not to sure about the expanded frequency. However, at least you agree that some decent and "useful" service needs to be there to cover the N11 corridor. How frequent would you suggest it become?

the main idea here would be to "divert" 46a to become 7d's (and other routes)

As I've stated before the 46a is very busy to Foxrock on the N11 but then fairly lightly used to DL from there. It would be more beneficial to have buses using this corridor going to other destinations and this way extra buses aren't required and the DL service doesn't really suffer as its not as busy anyway. outside rush hour maybe every 45 mins to an hour. at rush hour every half maybe. the 7b is a similar situation. I think it would be greatly beneficial to have a full day service on this.
    Maybe call it the 8 for historical purposes!:)

indeed, it would be a lot more helpful to have the likes of 8,9,10 etc rather than 46a/b/c/d/e (or worse 15/a/b/c/d/e/f :eek:). Now would be a very good time to rationalise all the numbers back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

What annoys me if you email or phone that network office, you only get the option to leave comments and they don't answer the emails. not great customer service. :(
    Lol, sure you don't answer questions put to you, so why should they answer your's ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

@Ham'nd'egger:

Thanks for that insider's info. Is there any news for Dundrum/ Churchtown/ Rathfarnham routes? I imagine that the QBC under construction on the Churchtown Rd towards Dundrum Luas will be more heavily used. And I wonder about the 14/a loop through Ballinteer...

Aard wrote: »
    @Ham'nd'egger:

Thanks for that insider's info. Is there any news for Dundrum/ Churchtown/ Rathfarnham routes? I imagine that the QBC under construction on the Churchtown Rd towards Dundrum Luas will be more heavily used. And I wonder about the 14/a loop through Ballinteer...

I would be very surprised if the 14/a routing would be changed, except for more 14 buses than 14a. Why would you change the Ballinteer loop? It offers a link from Ballinteer to the city in one direction and to Dundrum and the LUAS in the other. If there was any route for cuts it would be the 48a in my opinion.

I would also expect there to be a greater bias towards the 16 rather than the 16a given that there are heavier loads on the 16. What will happen the 16a I don't know with the revised road layout at Churchtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Aard wrote: »
    @Ham'nd'egger:

I don't know anything about this area yet except that some high frequency route will be run into and out of Dundrum via Churchtown road. I'd suspect it could mean an extension of the 16A (or even the 161) from Nutgrove though a new cross city route or revamped 17 is a distinct possibility.

The 48A and 14/14A may be remoulded given that the 14A will merge with the 20B. I'd guess that the 14A will run towards Wesley and either terminate close to the M 50 or along Churchtown Road to Barton Road with the 14/48A dealing with those areas not covered otherwise.

I should add that this is speculation lest anybody take it as word.

murphaph wrote: »
    Lol, sure you don't answer questions put to you, so why should they answer your's ;)

As explained, I would rather not disclose personal information.

As explained, I would rather not disclose personal information.

The bus routes you use hardly equate as personal information;)

However, given how you refer to route changes in a debate as being some sort of a disadvantage without using any specific route as any hard and fast example, the fact is that your points do not show any merit as they are somewhat meaningless as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Nobody's going to use the info against you, Angel. Giving the route number isn't exactly narrowing it down too much; you could be located anywhere along it. Keeping your cards to your chest in this case just makes people think you're complaining for the sake of it.

Hamndegger wrote: »
    The bus routes you use hardly equate as personal information;)

However, given how you refer to route changes in a debate as being some sort of a disadvantage without using any specific route as any hard and fast example, the fact is that your points do not show any merit as they are somewhat meaningless as a result.

That is debateable, it could distinguish where abouts you live/work etc. I don't see the issue, I can still talk about the changes in general. :) I don't see why we need to disclose exactly what route I get, where I change to get another bus and then what stop of the luas I get. That to me, is looking for personal information which I am not comfortable discussing on a public forum.

I would think that it is the 14 AND the 14a that will merge with the 20b. Having that frequency on the 14a alone would be overkill. But again that's guesswork on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

all your points prior to the release of the details was how this review might affect you and you were quite vociferous about it. now that the details have been released you won't say whether or not it does actually affect you.

i really can't see boardsies going on an angel hunt if you divulge the route you use but it's your perogative, but it does leave the points you made unsupportable.

all your points prior to the release of the details was how this review might affect you and you were quite vociferous about it. now that the details have been released you won't say whether or not it does actually affect you.

i really can't see boardsies going on an angel hunt if you divulge the route you use but it's your perogative, but it does leave the points you made unsupportable.

I will say some of the routes affect me, not considerably but I have said previously, I would prefer the route that goes to Sandyford to start elsewhere other than Merrion Square as I believe that isn't central enough. I would like to have the option of just using a DB ticket rather than a combined one but due to the starting point is too far away, I have no option to keep using Luas & Bus.

• Advertisement

That is debateable, it could distinguish where abouts you live/work etc. I don't see the issue, I can still talk about the changes in general. :) I don't see why we need to disclose exactly what route I get, where I change to get another bus and then what stop of the luas I get. That to me, is looking for personal information which I am not comfortable discussing on a public forum.

If you said bus XYZ stops outside of your house or place of work then we'd understand about being coy and I would do likewise myself.

However you are here discussing bus route changes that you say may affect you. By their nature, route changes are route specific and you can't get far in this debate by saying you will be affected by route changes without referring to specific routes.

I will say some of the routes affect me, not considerably but I have said previously, I would prefer the route that goes to Sandyford to start elsewhere other than Merrion Square as I believe that isn't central enough. I would like to have the option of just using a DB ticket rather than a combined one but due to the starting point is too far away, I have no option to keep using Luas & Bus.

I am inclined to agree with you with regard to the 47.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I am inclined to agree with you with regard to the 47.
    +1

I'm within walking distance from Merrion Square and I still regularly use buses to go into town. A 30 minute walk to e.g. O'Connell st isn't fun if you've got any sort of luggage or shopping.

It breaks my heart to wait 15 minutes in the middle of the day on one of dublin bus' busiest corridors only to see a 45 trundle up as far as Merrion Square.

As an aside - How can you tell if there's a 4/a bus coming? From the number 7 bus that's always just in front of it!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 josephgriffin

Snipped from Irish Road Passenger Transport Forum.

Harristown:
    - 17a changing James Conolly to Kilbarack
    - 83 to stay as is but terminate in Finglas not Harristown
    - 27b to terminate in castletimon and merge with 79
    - 40D to operate from Cathal Bruga Street not serving Finglas south to Tyrrelstown

Donnybrook:
    - 46a/10 and 10/39 merging to create two routes (Sure you already know about this)
    - 47 being extended to City centre
    - 11 changing to Stillorgan to City Centre
    - 84 Kilcoole to Cherrywood
    - 63 Kilternan to Dun Laoghaire
    - 174 to replace current route 75

Ringsend:
    - Routes proposed to be scrapped: 3. 49A, 74, 74A, 50, 65B
    - 150 moving to Donnybrook
    - 2/122 merging to run St Vincents to Cabra
    - 15/128 merging to run Clongriffin to Killiney Road
    - 15A operating to the Docklands area
    - 15B going to Scholarstown
    - 77A Tallaght Square to Citywest
    - 56A to service Killnarden
    - 27/77 to Jobstown

Garage Changes
    - Donnybrook getting 122 and 150
    - Ringsend Getting 27 and 128
    - C/Road getting 40 and 27B
    - Clontarf to get 123
    - Pboro getting shared services and 237/8/9 and 270.

Cross City routes by depot:
    - 122 and 2 to merge running from Donnybrrok
    - 46a to Phoenix Park to come from Donnybrrok
    - 27/77 merge and run from Ringsend
    - 128 and 15 to merge to run from Ringsend
    - 14a and 20b to merge from Summerhill
    - 40/A and 78A run from Conny Road
    - 79 and 27B to merge from Conny Road
    - 51 and 13 to merge from Harristown
    - 140 and 54A to merge and run from Harristown
    - 17A and 220 to merge run from Harristown

- 15/128 merging to run Clongriffin to Killiney Road

Lest certain posters from southeast Dublin get excited, that should read Killininny Road which links Ballycullen and Old Bawn/Firhouse.

- Pboro getting shared services and 237/8/9 and 270.
    9? There is no such route. When I brought this up in another thread, I was told that it was fabricated on MKMaps and that there is no such thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭noelfirl

I think he means the 237/238/239 Blanchardstown services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 josephgriffin

Its 237/238 and 239.

9? There is no such route. When I brought this up in another thread, I was told that it was fabricated on MKMaps and that there is no such thing.
    Sorry about that. You probably meant 237, 238 and 239.

• Advertisement

- 174 to replace current route 75

any idea what changes this will involve?

he means 237 / 238 / 239

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement