Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Whats happening to the 239? Also will there be any public consultation about this or are they just going to ignore everyones opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Whats happening to the 239? Also will there be any public consultation about this or are they just going to ignore everyones opinions?

The 239 remains unchanged but there might be a revised timetable.

Phase 1 (Lucan/Blanchardstown/Stillorgan) seems to be confirmed, but as suggested elsewhere in this thread, there may be minor tweeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

KD345 wrote: »

Phase 1 (Lucan/Blanchardstown/Stillorgan) seems to be confirmed, but as suggested elsewhere in this thread, there may be minor tweeks.

So I'm never going to get a bus to Castleknock/Cabra. :'(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Hamndegger wrote: »
    • Routes 68 & 69 will become a feeder route service from The Red Cow LUAS Terminus to Newcastle and Rathcoole with some workings into town. The proposed route for the 68 will run via Cherrywood as per the 51C route.

69 has more than enough loads to and from the city with tourists all day and all night..big loss there.
    Bazzer2 wrote: »
    Don't put too much stock into what that forum reports, they are mostly children with notebooks running after buses with third-hand information.

Ah, another anti-enthusiast genius on this forum. It's in that forum's interests to have more facts than rumours, so the anti-enthusiasts can quote them on here and argue about ratios of funding or % worth in yen per km of tar spent eating crisps.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Are the 45 and the 45a being completely dropped?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

There will be public meetings to discuss all the changes.

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Are the 45 and the 45a being completely dropped?

No - They will be dealt with I would think as part of the Merrion Road corridor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

eejoynt wrote: »
    How will the SCR be catered for?

at the moment it has the sixteen and the nineteens but i suspect that this is a hangover form the tram routing
    if the new 16 is to be an airport route primarily, there an argument to send it straight down Clanbrassil Street to Christchurch

Route 120 will probably take on most of the 122's route southside.

There is little point in re-routing the 16 via Clanbrassil Street as it has no dedicated bus lane save for parts of Patrick Street. As slow as SCR and Camden Street is, it has a bus lane for most of it's route so buses have some chance of moving along it. It also serves the hinterland of Dublin's office area so moving it away from this area may adversely affect it's loadings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I'm not clear on the changes suggested for the 79s

Are the 79 & 79A both merging with the 27b? Will there be a single route from Ballyfermot into town?

What's proposed for the following :-

The turn off B'fermot Rd onto Kylemore then Decies Rd?
    Sarsfield Rd / Kilmainham (the 79 route)?
    Ormond Quay to Parliament St, Dame St and Westmoreland St?

Any details emerging on the the 78A (soon to be 40?), particularly west of the M50? It's at least 5 minutes faster to walk from Coldcut Rd roundabout to Fonthill Rd than to take the bus!

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    I'm not clear on the changes suggested for the 79s

Are the 79 & 79A both merging with the 27b? Will there be a single route from Ballyfermot into town?

What's proposed for the following :-

The turn off B'fermot Rd onto Kylemore then Decies Rd?
    Sarsfield Rd / Kilmainham (the 79 route)?
    Ormond Quay to Parliament St, Dame St and Westmoreland St?

Check out my post a page or two back but it's basically via route 79A towards the city and onwards to Amiens Street
    Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Any details emerging on the the 78A (soon to be 40?), particularly west of the M50? It's at least 5 minutes faster to walk from Coldcut Rd roundabout to Fonthill Rd than to take the bus!

No word as of yet but I'd expect news on the 78A along with the Clondalkin review.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 josephgriffin

Don't put too much stock into what that forum reports, they are mostly children with notebooks running after buses with third-hand information.

What a silly and to be honest childish reply. Some of the people on the transport forum and the garaiste forums have been involved or interested in Irish transport for over 40 years. If anyone knows anything these guys are the people.

Its throwaway comments like the one above that really piss me off sometimes. THINK before you TYPE ;)!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

Route 120 will probably take on most of the 122's route southside.

There is little point in re-routing the 16 via Clanbrassil Street as it has no dedicated bus lane save for parts of Patrick Street. As slow as SCR and Camden Street is, it has a bus lane for most of it's route so buses have some chance of moving along it. It also serves the hinterland of Dublin's office area so moving it away from this area may adversely affect it's loadings.

so all of those commuters ignoring 16/16a buses when a 54 offers are wrong?

Maybe they are suffering from what old fashioned marxists call 'false consciousness?'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Maybe they are suffering from what old fashioned marxists call 'false consciousness?'

Maybe they want to travel to Christ Church or Eden Quay?

You only have to look at the loadings on Georges Street and Camden Street to see the demand for the 16/a. The journey between Leonards Corner and Dame Street has plenty of bus priority. It's not the bottleneck it once was.

In fairness you are referring to a small amount of people wanting to use two routes (54A and 49) with modest service levels passing through what is mainly a residential area over those with higher service levels though an area that is more so a business/entertainment area. Those who live around here generally walk into the city or they have the 121 (or it's replacement) through the Tenters; the 122, 19A and 16/A at Leonards Corner and the 50, 77/A, 150 and 151 at Kevin Street and St. Nicholas Way.

I live around this area so I'd have a fairly good grasp of the area;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

i got confirmation from dublin bus today that the hartstown loop will be served by the buses to the city and belfield

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

KC61 wrote: »
    The rumour is also that the 16a will be withdrawn to be replaced by the 16 from Airport (not via Beaumont) to Ballinteer. What that means for Nutgrove I don't know.

I heard the new 20b/14 is to terminate at the current 16 terminus in Santry.

Dub13 wrote: »
    I heard the new 20b/14 is to terminate at the current 16 terminus in Santry.

Heard from?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Heard from?

A local resident from Santry who's brother in law is a driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

KD345 wrote: »

Dont ask me where.... But i read elsewhere that as part of a later phase the 76 will serve liffey valley. As a result of the 239 is going.

If this is true, i think the 76 should follow the existing 239 route from liffey valley to clonsilla then around by the loop to blanchardstown centre

This may be of interest to Dublin 15 residents.....

http://www.joanburton.ie/?postid=1334

Joan Burton to host Public Transport Meeting

Venue: ‘The Paddocks’, Littlepace (Upstairs Lounge)
    Date: Thursday 13th May 2010 at 8pm

I will host a public meeting on Thursday 13th May to deal with public transport issues facing Dublin 15. Representatives will be on hand from Dublin Bus, to explain the new Dublin 15 bus network, and from Iarnrod Eireann to give an update on rail services. There will also be a Q&A session.

We hope that you can attend and all are welcome.

Speaking in advance of the Deputy Joan Burton said: “I have been campaigning for years to deliver better public transport for Dublin 15.

“I have held meetings like this in other years, and they have always been very well attended. People in newer areas of Dublin 15 are not the best served by public transport, and are hungry for more buses and trains in their areas.

“Dublin Bus are rolling out new bus routes and networks all across the city. There will be significant changes in the Dublin 15 area and they have agreed to come to our public meeting to explain the changes and answer questions.

“We also hope to have a representative from Iarnrod Eireann to give us an update on the new stations to be opened at Hansfield and Pace later this year. These new stations are much-needed and long-awaited. They should really improve the accessibility of areas like Ongar and Littlepace, slashing the journey time to Dublin city centre.

“Most other capital cities around Europe have quality public transport networks, and Dublin should be no different. It not only improves quality of life, but helps make the economy more competitive and makes it an attractive destination for inward investment.”

“While there have been some improvements recently, we have not seen anything like the investment necessary to meet the needs of a growing Dublin 15 population. More people would leave their cars at home if they felt they could rely on the bus being on time, being able to get a place on the train or get to the airport without having to go all around the world.

"Internationally, it has been shown that the quickest and most cost effective way to improve public transport is to invest in buses. The Minister for Transport has shown reluctance about investing in more new buses. We have a bizarre situation where there road space is being given up for bus corridors, but money is not being provided to run buses in them. There’s a clear lack of joined-up thinking there and this needs to change.

“I will continue to press the Minister for Transport, Iarnród Eireann, the Rail Procurement Agency and Dublin Bus for an improved and integrated bus & rail system for the people of Dublin West.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 yellowbelly

Fair points - I guess this is the stuff that needs to be put to the bus company during the public meetings - they don't really mention what the 66X and 67X will be like post changes.
    Hi just have been reading through the thread re the changes dublin bus are going to introduce to certain routes.... visited dublin bus web site no information on the 67 and 67a routes had read here that the 67 will be running every thirty minutes the only information on the website is the route is to be extended in moyglare rd maynooth in the 67a still going to run........there is no information on the 66 route either do the travelling public of north kildare not matter to dublin bus all the information is in regard to the lucan area......... glad they are getting an increased services for half empty buses sometimes.......... I will be interested to see when these public mettings will take place as i far as i know this is a done deal these changes are going to implemented sooner rather later.... come on public transport users of north kildare start e mailing dublin bus to see how you will be travelling by bus for the next ten years or so.........

Hi just have been reading through the thread re the changes dublin bus are going to introduce to certain routes.... visited dublin bus web site no information on the 67 and 67a routes had read here that the 67 will be running every thirty minutes the only information on the website is the route is to be extended in moyglare rd maynooth in the 67a still going to run........there is no information on the 66 route either do the travelling public of north kildare not matter to dublin bus all the information is in regard to the lucan area......... glad they are getting an increased services for half empty buses sometimes.......... I will be interested to see when these public mettings will take place as i far as i know this is a done deal these changes are going to implemented sooner rather later.... come on public transport users of north kildare start e mailing dublin bus to see how you will be travelling by bus for the next ten years or so.........

The extended 67 will replace the 67a.

If you look at the schematic map below (and linked to on the web page listing the changes), peak and off-peak frequencies are listed for all of the routes including the 66 and 67:

http://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/5996/Lucan%20Corridor%20Web%201.pdf

The 66 and 67 will operate every 30 minutes in the peak and off-peak.

The extended 67 will replace the 67a.

If you look at the schematic map below (and linked to on the web page listing the changes), peak and off-peak frequencies are listed for all of the routes including the 66 and 67:

http://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/5996/Lucan%20Corridor%20Web%201.pdf

The 66 and 67 will operate every 30 minutes in the peak and off-peak.
    Thanks for that i could not access that information when i visitied the website maybe dublin bus could do with you to help design their website.... dont know whether to jump for joy that there is a bus every 30 minutes peak and off peak to celbridge..... great when going home wonder what the service will be like travelling in from the celbridge as the route will extended to moyglare rd from what i can gather the bus will have to travel through maynooth village and maynooth can get very congested with traffic..... It takes the 67 ten to fifteen minutes to get to the bus stop at aldi at the moment wonder how long will it take the 67 to get from moyglare rd to celbridge.....Hope the 67x and being left as is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

While much of this network review looks radical and is long overdue, it appears that there are a couple of anomalies like the 67 route, which appear to be planned as after thoughts, overshadowed by the glare of the showcase QBC routes.

It appears that Dublin Bus are doing to the 67 what was in effect the old fashioned way of fiddling with bus routes, generally nothing more than adding tails on, to no end other than to make them longer, more unwieldy, increasingly unreliable and unattractive. The proposed extension to Moyglare will lead the 67 right through the congested centre of Maynooth village, and no less than three closely spaced traffic light junctions, which are queued in both directions for most of the day.

As well as making arrival times in Celbridge even more unpredictable, it will add more wasted time and length to the existing route, necessitating more vehicles and drivers for very little gain. It is surely a good thing that Moyglare would get a bus service for the first time, and the 67 is probably best placed to provide that. But it should have been done hand in hand with increasing the speed and efficiency of the inner part of the route, sending these very long distance routes direct via the Chapelizod Bypass. The 67 takes too long as it is, without adding further delay to the route.

It just strikes me that while the broader view of the network review is to consolidate the core of the network, using fewer vehicles to greater efficiency, route 67 stands out as a kind of after thought, which is going to do the very opposite. I cannot see how the proposal will do anything other than increase the cost of running this unwieldy and unattractive bus route.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

The 66 already goes every half an hour, and seeing as the 66B and A leave at the same time, there are STILL needless gaps of half an hour in off-peak weekday services. It doesn't benefit at all, even the ones leaving town at 20:15, 20:50 are packed and at Christmas they sail past all stops beyond Louisa Bridge...Gleneaston is just going to add to this. Should have extended the D instead. The 66 is wildly unpredictable as it is.

The 66 already goes every half an hour, and seeing as the 66B and A leave at the same time, there are STILL needless gaps of half an hour in off-peak weekday services. It doesn't benefit at all, even the ones leaving town at 20:15, 20:50 are packed and at Christmas they sail past all stops beyond Louisa Bridge...Gleneaston is just going to add to this. Should have extended the D instead. The 66 is wildly unpredictable as it is.

I think that you are missing one aspect of the network review. The timetables of the routes along the corridor are going to be co-ordinated.

So the situations where a 66a and 66 and then a 66b and 66 will leave simultaneously are going to stop.

Those long gaps in service frequency should then be eradicated. The obvious solution is a combined frequency of every 15 minutes between the 66, 66a, 66b.

Hi i believe they had a meeting in lucan about the changes taken place with the 25 routes etc with dublin bus reps it was organised by the local fine gael counciller and there is another consultation meeting in superquinn on friday 14th May in Superquinn..........I would like to know if there is any meetings organised for dublin bus passengers of north kildare who use the 66 67 bus routes.......I heard that the meeting was interesting and the dublin bus rep seemed to take peoples concerns on board..... I emailed Dublin bus today with questions I have about the 67 route and I intend to
    e mail all the public reps for celbridge Kildare ann maynooth about trying to organise a public meeting for the travelling public of north kildare.....I would try to encourage members of the travelling public to try and get a meeting organinsed so we could air our concerns re the changes that are about to take place it is who use the transport.........Has anyone heard of any public meetings taking place of the transport users of north kildare...

Hi i believe they had a meeting in lucan about the changes taken place with the 25 routes etc with dublin bus reps it was organised by the local fine gael counciller and there is another consultation meeting in superquinn on friday 14th May in Superquinn..........I would like to know if there is any meetings organised for dublin bus passengers of north kildare who use the 66 67 bus routes.......I heard that the meeting was interesting and the dublin bus rep seemed to take peoples concerns on board..... I emailed Dublin bus today with questions I have about the 67 route and I intend to
    e mail all the public reps for celbridge Kildare ann maynooth about trying to organise a public meeting for the travelling public of north kildare.....I would try to encourage members of the travelling public to try and get a meeting organinsed so we could air our concerns re the changes that are about to take place it is who use the transport.........Has anyone heard of any public meetings taking place of the transport users of north kildare...

So when are you going to call a meeting?:)

So when are you going to call a meeting?:)
    I am just of the opinion that if passagners of Lucan can air their concerns so can the travelling public of north Kildare......It would make sense if reps from Dublin Bus were there to answer any questions and maybe to take on board suggestions people have re the bus service for the area If i hear back from Dublin bus re meeting for the Kildare North area will have no problem advertising here so people can attend.

• Advertisement

The meetings so far have been organised by local representatives.

The public meetings being organised by Dublin Bus have yet to happen and I'm quite sure that they will hold meetings in all the areas affected.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement