Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

Here's the latest scaremongering Facebook campaign entitled "save the 79":

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=124568034227753#!/group.php?gid=124568034227753&v=wall

Idiots is all I can say:mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

new update here dated 3rd June.

notably the 84 now runs to Belfield and is at a 60 minute frequency. So in order to save some students from having to change buses, frequency has been halved - bad change IMO particularly for anyone living in Kilcoole (bear in mind the 84x will still be operating at peak hours).

edit - I've just noticed it also serves Stillorgan which presumably means the village. So the original proposal to turn a meandering infrequent route into something more frequent and more useful, has been completely fudged. Sure it no longer goes into town, but it has to go into and come back out of Cherrywood and battle through Stillorgan village, and there's still only one bus an hour. Pffft - what a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

loyatemu wrote: »

notably the 84 now runs to Belfield and is at a 60 minute frequency. So in order to save some students from having to change buses, frequency has been halved - bad change IMO particularly for anyone living in Kilcoole (bear in mind the 84x will still be operating at peak hours).

edit - I've just noticed it also serves Stillorgan which presumably means the village. So the original proposal to turn a meandering infrequent route into something more frequent and more useful, has been completely fudged. Sure it no longer goes into town, but it has to go into and come back out of Cherrywood and battle through Stillorgan village, and there's still only one bus an hour. Pffft - what a waste of time.

Saw this earlier too. While I'm happy I'll be able to get directly to college, it seems the route goes around a lot more than it did before. The only real changes appear to be that before it goes to UCD, it goes to cherrywood and cabinteely, and no longer goes to town. Tbh, I'd say a lot of people will still end up getting two buses to UCD, because it's still very irregular, and going by the current timetable, pretty awkwardly timed.

Edit: Does anyone know when the changes are starting from? I can't seem to find a date on the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

kateos2 wrote: »
    Edit: Does anyone know when the changes are starting from? I can't seem to find a date on the site.

from their website
    The target date for implementation of Phase 1 of the Network Direct Project (Blanchardstown, Stillorgan Rd/Dún Laoghaire/Bray area and Lucan/North Kildare) is July 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

interesting to note they are now planning on scrapping the 746 as per the update to the stillorgan changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

thomasj wrote: »
    interesting to note they are now planning on scrapping the 746 as per the update to the stillorgan changes.

it was really only used as a 46a. 2.5 hours to the airport wasn't much good to anyone. Plus nearly everywhere it serves now overlaps and Aircoach route so what little custom it had before was eroded in recent years. the only benefit of it was 2.20 vs 8 quid

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

it was really only used as a 46a. 2.5 hours to the airport wasn't much good to anyone.

You sure it took that long...?you would nearly walk it in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

No way it took the 746 2.5 hours to get to the airport! An hour on a good day and 90 minutes on a bad day anytime I got it from Foxrock. Shame to see it go as it was a handy and cheap way of getting to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

The 746 was a decent idea, but it's low frequency made it a bit of an unloved extra.

I think the changes to the 47 are good - it now is a decent suburb to suburb service. It also links UCD to the DART at Sydney Parade now, every 15 minutes at peak, which I think is improved integration there - even if it doesn't pass right by the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Dub13 wrote: »

The normal running time on the 746 is 1.5/1.75 hours.

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote: »
    No way it took the 746 2.5 hours to get to the airport!

yeah it did, the one I was on theone time I've used it anyway. major problem is as soon as it hits leeson st it gets stuck in traffic the whole way from there to past O Connell st. Nightmare. 10 Mins from bottom of Grafton st to O'Connell bridge alone. granted it was a rush hour bus and hence stupendously slower than a non rush hour one but even so.

Got an email from Griffith college president today looking for feedback on the 19 being axed.
    Dear All,

Dublin Bus is proposing to scrap the 19 bus service which passes right
    outside the gates of Griffith College.

If you oppose this proposal, please see attached letter from Catherine Byrne
    TD. If you wish, you may email her to register your opposition at
    catherine.byrne@oir.ie .

Thank you,

Diarmuid

--
    Diarmuid Hegarty
    President
    Griffith College Dublin

Letter attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

loyatemu wrote: »

edit - I've just noticed it also serves Stillorgan which presumably means the village.
    Yep, major retrograde step there by DB particularly on the frequency halving. The original proposal of turning the 84/184 combo into a relatively frequent link service to the high frequency 145 route and Luas was an excellent idea that could see patronage increase markedly and would be a real boost to the thousands living along the routes in north-east Co. Wicklow.

The map now includes the 184 route but there is no mention of frequency or how it ties in with the 84. We have a ridiculous situation at the moment of 184s and 84s , especially northbound, traveling within 5 minutes of each other between Bray and Greystones and then nothing scheduled for 45-60 minutes. If they become link services to the 145, that's got to stop.

In one sense its a bit of a shame that the 'Bray' services - 45, 84, 145, 184, 185 - aren't all being revised together in one phase of the network review as a great deal of their usage centered on Bray and not Dublin city centre.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/WicklowStillorgan-Roadshow/
    Phase 1 of the Network Direct Project involves changes to services in North Wicklow/Stillorgan Road N11 and we would like to invite customers in the area to meet us to discuss these proposed changes on the following date:

Bray – Bray DART Station, Tuesday June 15th, 2.00pm - 8.00pm

We will have staff on hand to answer any of your questions and to explain in full detail the benefits the redesigned service will have for your area.

xper wrote: »
    Yep, major retrograde step there by DB particularly on the frequency halving. The original proposal of turning the 84/184 combo into a relatively frequent link service to the high frequency 145 route and Luas was an excellent idea that could see patronage increase markedly and would be a real boost to the thousands living along the routes in north-east Co. Wicklow.

The map now includes the 184 route but there is no mention of frequency or how it ties in with the 84. We have a ridiculous situation at the moment of 184s and 84s , especially northbound, traveling within 5 minutes of each other between Bray and Greystones and then nothing scheduled for 45-60 minutes. If they become link services to the 145, that's got to stop.

In one sense its a bit of a shame that the 'Bray' services - 45, 84, 145, 184, 185 - aren't all being revised together in one phase of the network review as a great deal of their usage centered on Bray and not Dublin city centre.

The key to it is that the 84 and 184 are both timed at Bray station in a co-ordinated manner to give a standard frequency service south of Bray. Dropping the 84 to hourly is not good news - why people cannot get used to changing buses is beyond me!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

KC61 wrote: »
    why people cannot get used to changing buses is beyond me!

Might be easier if DB reintroduced the single travel 90. As a very occasional bus user I don't want a 10 journey ticket and changing buses means I have to pay twice.

Might be easier if DB reintroduced the single travel 90. As a very occasional bus user I don't want a 10 journey ticket and changing buses means I have to pay twice.

Given the ticket is valid for 10 journeys over 18 months, surely you would use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Forgot about this thread. How would it affect Palmerstown?

Forgot about this thread. How would it affect Palmerstown?

25a/25b will operate all day via the Chapelizod bypass (every 5 minutes at peak and every 15 minutes off-peak).

26 will now operate every 30 minutes from the city via John's Road, South Circular Road, and then via Chapelizod, Kylemore Road, Ballyfermot Road to terminate at Palmerstown Cemetery on Kennelsfort Road.

66/a/b (4 buses per hour) and 67 (2 buses per hour) will all operate via the current routing to Palmerstown, but should have far better co-ordinated timetables.

The 66X and 67X will all continue as is.

All the routes will operate to/from Wilton Terrace off Leeson Street via St Stephens Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Given the ticket is valid for 10 journeys over 18 months, surely you would use it?

This is really a whole other thread...but I wouldn't be prepared to spend €18 on a ticket that I might not use for another two months. On the other hand I'd be quite prepared to spend slightly over the odds ,maybe €2.50, on a single journey travel 90.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭SandyfordGuy

I think diversifying the range to include a 5 journey and a 20 journey travel 90 ticket would be good?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

All the routes will operate to/from Wilton Terrace off Leeson Street via St Stephens Green.

These busses have never used that routing before, obviously, was wondering if they'll definitely do something like Wilton terrace, stephens green, dawson street, nassau street, suffolk street, dame street, college green, westmoreland street routing? Or do some busses leaving from the same place do something totally different?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

I can see your point Boss. €18 is a lot to spend on a ticket you might decide to use again. I think removing the single journey Travel 90 was a mistake.

For prepaid tickets to be attractive to customers there needs to be an incentive to purhase. The single 2 Easy tickets suffered in this way because they cost exactly the same price as paying the cash fare. The Travel 90 really is great value for anyone using two buses or whose bus fare is over €1.80. It's a shame so many passengers are unaware they exist. I think an advertising campaign where they are seen as 'something to have in your wallet' would be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Corruptedmorals, all Lucan Road buses will run from Wilton Terrace and travel through Leeson Street, Stephens Green, Dawson St, Nassau St, Suffolk St, onto their normal route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

I am a bit late to this, can anyone tell me if the 220 service is being done away with and replaced with the 17a,from what I can see on the proposals is that the 17a will run from Kilbarack to Blanchardstown but it will bypass Poppintree where the 220 goes from to Ladyswell.

25a/25b will operate all day via the Chapelizod bypass (every 5 minutes at peak and every 15 minutes off-peak).

26 will now operate every 30 minutes from the city via John's Road, South Circular Road, and then via Chapelizod, Kylemore Road, Ballyfermot Road to terminate at Palmerstown Cemetery on Kennelsfort Road.

66/a/b (4 buses per hour) and 67 (2 buses per hour) will all operate via the current routing to Palmerstown, but should have far better co-ordinated timetables.

The 66X and 67X will all continue as is.

I'm asking this because, if there is much change, I would have to get someone to push me across the footbridge in Palmerstown(I'm a wheelchair user), in order to get my bus into town. I currently get it at the stop at the top of Kennelsfort Road.

This is really a whole other thread...but I wouldn't be prepared to spend €18 on a ticket that I might not use for another two months. On the other hand I'd be quite prepared to spend slightly over the odds ,maybe €2.50, on a single journey travel 90.

In that case I think you'll have to wait for the integrated smartcard, daft as it may seem.

I'm asking this because, if there is much change, I would have to get someone to push me across the footbridge in Palmerstown(I'm a wheelchair user), in order to get my bus into town. I currently get it at the stop at the top of Kennelsfort Road.

The 26 terminus will be at Palmerstown Cemetery on Kennelsfort Road and it will operate via Ballyfermot rather than via Palmerstown.

Are you near the cemetery (the old 18 terminus)?

The 26 terminus will be at Palmerstown Cemetery on Kennelsfort Road and it will operate via Ballyfermot rather than via Palmerstown.

Are you near the cemetery (the old 18 terminus)?

My estate is right beside where the old cemetary stop used to be. It's moved further up the road.

EDIT: The new changes sounded like they were bypassing Ballyer/Palmerstown altogether, in favour of a direct run from Leixlip/Celbridge into town!??

• Advertisement

My estate is right beside where the old cemetary stop used to be. It's moved further up the road.

EDIT: The new changes sounded like they were bypassing Ballyer/Palmerstown altogether, in favour of a direct run from Leixlip/Celbridge into town!??

Just for the 25a/25b.

The 66/a/b and 67 will continue to operate via Chapelizod.

Well then the 26 will turn beside your estate and go via Ballyfermot and Chapelizod to town every 30 minutes so you won't have to cross the bridge!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement