Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

KC61 wrote: »
    The 111 is still a DART feeder service - through tickets can still be purchased on the bus.

only in name and only at rush hour in reality though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

only in name and only at rush hour in reality though.

I am just making the point that it is still a feeder bus as some people seemed to think it was not.

I am just making the point that it is still a feeder bus as some people seemed to think it was not.

including many drivers and station ticket office staff from my experience ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Jcastle

Remember this is also a cost cutting exercise. Dublin Bus does not have unlimited funds. The 111 is a duplicate bus with very low ridership so cancelling the service is valid and reasonable and has a very low impact as the route is served by the 7.
    Carrickmines, mentioned above, will be connected to DunLaoghaire by the new imporved 63 route.

Jcastle wrote: »
    Carrickmines, mentioned above, will be connected to DunLaoghaire by the new imporved 63 route.

but how can it be both new and improved:confused:

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Jcastle

but how can it be both new and improved:confused:

:p

Get a life!

Jcastle wrote: »
    Get a life!
    :rolleyes:
    you are familiar with the concept of humour, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭kthnxbai

Hey all,

Ok, so phase 1 stuff doesn't quite concern my bus routes, so I haven't been paying a huge amount of attention to it...

However, it says on DBs website that
    Route 40d’s alignment will be adjusted to offer faster journey times to the City Centre. It will operate via Ballycoolin Road, Mellowes Road to Finglas Village and then direct to Parnell Street. The timetable will be restructured to provide even frequencies between departures.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Network-Direct/Network-Direct-Phase-1/Blanchardstown/Blanchardstown-FAQs/

So, I'm hoping that maybe someone else who's a little more informed might be able to tell me if this change is happening this summer with the rest of the Blanch/Lucan/Stillorgan changes?

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info on it, not that there's much to say I suppose... I just think it's a lil unfair not to have called a little more attention to it, considering it affects people in Finglas as well as Blanch... And that it leaves people in certain parts of Finglas with no bus service at all... or at least, not until the Finglas QBC changes are made...

I emailed DB last week and haven't heard anything back yet... =/

kthnxbai wrote: »
    Hey all,

Ok, so phase 1 stuff doesn't quite concern my bus routes, so I haven't been paying a huge amount of attention to it...

However, it says on DBs website that

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Network-Direct/Network-Direct-Phase-1/Blanchardstown/Blanchardstown-FAQs/

So, I'm hoping that maybe someone else who's a little more informed might be able to tell me if this change is happening this summer with the rest of the Blanch/Lucan/Stillorgan changes?

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info on it, not that there's much to say I suppose... I just think it's a lil unfair not to have called a little more attention to it, considering it affects people in Finglas as well as Blanch... And that it leaves people in certain parts of Finglas with no bus service at all... or at least, not until the Finglas QBC changes are made...

I emailed DB last week and haven't heard anything back yet... =/

It will be in the Finglas phase. To suggest that some areas may have no service as a result of the change may be somewhat disingenuous as there may be other route realignments to compensate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Just noticed this but it says the 25 is going to change too? Any information anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Just noticed this but it says the 25 is going to change too? Any information anyone?

Route 25 will be extended to Leeson Street (Wilton Terrace). There will also be a revised timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

has anyone got dates for when the new timetables will be published/publicised?

When i was at the q&a session in blanch the manager said the new services would begin 21st july?

thomasj wrote: »

When i was at the q&a session in blanch the manager said the new services would begin 21st july?

timetables probably released 21st July then...
    :o

thomasj wrote: »

I'd say that date has slipped as we haven't yet seen the 2nd draft post-initial consulatations.

As for timetables, well the maps have frequencies on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

KC61

I notice that the updated material on the review now says:
    Route 66x and 67x will have a minor timetable and routing change

I am particularly interested in the 67x

can you enlighten us as to the changes?

thanks

I don't know Riskymove!

Maybe they might start/finish some of the 67x services at Moyglare instead of the present 67a terminus?

Similarly some of the 66x services will probably follow the new route 66 routing in Maynooth.

But as I say that is conjecture on my part - I don't actually know!

Similarly some of the 66x services will probably follow the new route 66 routing in Maynooth.

well yes thats what I would guess...therein lies my concern......the X buses are popular and currently begin in Celbridge.....I fear if they start at maynooth, they will be full before celbridge

Riskymove wrote: »
    well yes thats what I would guess...therein lies my concern......the X buses are popular and currently begin in Celbridge.....I fear if they start at maynooth, they will be full before celbridge

I wouldn't expect much change to the current situation in that the 67x starts in Celbridge in the mornings but finishes in Maynooth in the evenings.

As for being full surely Maynooth passengers would stick with the 66x instead of taking a tour of Celbridge?

I wouldn't expect much change to the current situation in that the 67x starts in Celbridge in the mornings but finishes in Maynooth in the evenings.

well that I would be happy with
    As for being full surely Maynooth passengers would stick with the 66x instead of taking a tour of Celbridge?

the proposed change extends to Moyglare so I think if the 67X was extended there it would be more convenient for people on that side of town

anyway its just a concern that it could happen!

I note that there has been one update to the proposed services in the Blanchardstown area following customer consultations in that the 38a will now operate in the off-peak.

The map has yet to be updated with this change.

Will Route 38 and Route 38a continue to operate?
    Yes. Routes 38 and 38a will operate from Damastown to Leeson Street Bridge (Wilton Terrace). They will travel on the current Route 38a alignment from Damastown to Snugborough Road via Castlecurragh and Corduff.

Route 38a will operate via Blanchardstown Bypass and Route 38 will operate via Blanchardstown, Castleknock and Auburn Avenue.

Both routes will be extended to Leeson Street Bridge (Wilton Terrace) providing a more direct service to the City Centre with a high frequency service of 10 minutes at peak times.

Route 38a
    Inbound: will operate at both peak times Monday to Friday via the Blanchardstown bypass. Off peak (10:00 - 16:00hrs and 19:00hrs - 23:30hrs) route 38a will serve Blanchardstown Village and then go straight out onto the N3.

Outbound: the 38a will operate as it currently does (N3 by passing Blanchardstown Village)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 jsoc

For some reason I only just noticed that the 746 will be discontinued. For someone who is not on a direct AirCoach route (i.e. near Bakers Corner), this will come as a bit of a pain. I guess it means getting a 46a into the city and transfer to a 747 on O'Connell street...still with bags and and all the 746 was very handy (and of course a cheaper alternative than the Aircoach and 747 bus) I see no reason to drop the 746 route but improve it along with the 46a improvements planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Jsoc,you are quite correct.

To simply abandon the 746 without ever having given the route a bit of marketing and planning is simply towel-throwing.

It also does lend a bit of credence to Fintan O Toole`s piece in the Irish Times when he asked how much more of the "Less means More" mantra can be borne before definite and obvious service cutbacks emerge.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

I think the number of the bus killed it a bit as well. People saw 746 and assumed that it was premium fare like the 747 and 748, and didn't use it. 146 would have been a better choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

is there a proposed start date yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Polar101

angel01 wrote: »
    is there a proposed start date yet?

Rumor has it that it's July 25th (some posters in another thread were given this date when ringing Dublin Bus).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Polar101 wrote: »
    Rumor has it that it's July 25th (some posters in another thread were given this date when ringing Dublin Bus).

That's just over a week away. Since early last month, there doesn't appear to have been any changes. Routes such as the 59, 45a, 7 and 8 haven't been mentioned at all. The 7d was mentioned as a route that might have a minor tweek to it's route or timetabling. If this is the case, could the aforementioned routes be facing the axe?

I sent the following e-mail to Dublin Bus about a month ago:

To whom it may concern,

I saw the the Dublin Bus Network Review. While I am very impressed overall by the idea of straightening out certain routes, I am still puzzled as to what the plans are for Dalkey's bus service. Nevertheless, I thought I might have a bit of input for you. At the moment, Dalkey doesn't have any direct and frequent service between it and Stillorgan or UCD for that matter. On top of that, there isn't any direct and frequent bus service to the Green Luas Line. As such, I though I might give you a bit of advice on the situation. I would recommend rerouting the number 8 bus to cover the N11 from Stillorgan onwards by going via Bakers Corner, Stradbrook and the Monkstown Ringroad. The stem as far as the roundabout at the end of Upper Glenageary Road would remain the same. By diverting it from the DART line, it would no longer be a duplicate allowing for a restoration of it's old frequency. Furthermore, this would distinguish it from the 46A. I'm not to sure what would happen with the 7D or 59. As a second recommendation, I would encourage the introduction of a feeder bus from Dalkey to Cherrywood Luas Stop when the Luas line extension to Cherrywood is complete.

I would also advise a slight rerouting and extension of the 59 bus service to incorporate Cabinteely and Cornelscourt Shopping Center. The rerouting would serve to make the bus route more direct as there are certain stretches where a lot of detours are made. One example is the fact that it turns toward Castlepark Road and then Saint Catherine's Road before turning on to Albert Road. Another example of an even bigger detour is that it turns off Avondale Road in the direction of Killiney Village. Another quicker way to cover these areas would be that from Dalkey, it would continue up Barnhill Road as it does currently. From here, it would turn left up to Barnhill Avenue. As this is a densely populated area, it can only serve to up the route viability. Next, it would take another left turn on to Saval Park Road. At the top, it would turn right toward Killiney Village where it would enter Fitzpatrick's Castle Hotel en route.From here, it would turn back and bear left onto Killiney Road. Hereafter, it would continue the natural course of it's route in the direction of Mackintosh Park. However, instead of going to Mackintosh Park, it could continue onto to Cabinteely and finally terminate in Cornelscourt Shopping Center. What do you think?
    --
    Kind regards,
    Patrick Brophy

And the response I got was the following:

Dear Paddy

Thank you for your comments which will be taken on board as part of the review and are indeed welcome.

Full details of changes in that area will be publicised prior to implementation.

Regards
    Project Office Network Direct

For OAP's living along the Rock Road QBC, I hope the 7 will remain the same or improved.

Also, are the changes of the first phase set in stone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

That response is a cut and paste job I'm afraid Paddy. i got one that was word for word the exact same (well exact for the name obviously).

To be fair to them though, they have made a few small changes following complaints out my way

I am quite sure that we will get plenty of notice of the changes.

The dates are not cast in stone as there are so many variables - Customer consultations, NTA approval, driver roster changes.

I'd imagine it may be early August at this stage when phase 1 happens, but I think people need to be patient as this is a massive task.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

The dates are not cast in stone as there are so many variables - Customer consultations, NTA approval, driver roster changes.

I'd imagine it may be early August at this stage when phase 1 happens, but I think people need to be patient as this is a massive task.

I understand this alright. Streamlining the entire Dublin Bus Network is an extremely big task. Also, given that there are a lot of routes with four and sometimes five variations, it looks like Dublin Bus have their work cut out for them. As such, I will indeed need to be patient. I am aware that certain measures such as re-routings do arouse controversy. An example of this is the decision to have the 46A covering the entire stretch of Kill Avenue and bypassing Monkstown Farm. While I do welcome this decision due to the amount of time it will knock off the journey length, I do feel sorry for the OAP's in the area who will have a longer walk to their nearest stop. I don't know what the solution for this problem is. What I do know is, is that Oliver Plunkett Road is too narrow in parts to accommodate the flow of buses passing each other in opposite directions.

I also think that the introduction of orbital bus routes needs to be encouraged as part of this review. More importantly, the orbital routes would need to be far more thorough in terms of the areas that they serve.

An example of an orbital route could pan out as follows:

Dun Laoghaire - Carrickmines - Tallaght - Clondalkin - Liffey Valley - Blanchardstown - IKEA - Dublin Airport - Malahide. While I know that the re-routed 63 will cover the first two places, the route I am suggesting would be a more streamlined route with stretches on and off the M50 for punctuality and speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

I'm not confident that DB will handle this last and most important part well. They need to swamp the buses night and day with flyers about the changes that will happen, especially routes like the 746 that are being cancelled. It's not enough to assume people will have checked the website. I hope I'm wrong but going on their past efforts at communication, I don't have much faith.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement