Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Tourman wrote: »
    Where Buses travel along Bus Lanes they seem to have a high satisfaction rate.

Is there a survey for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Where Buses travel along Bus Lanes they seem to have a high satisfaction rate. .

the buses or the lanes :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

When is this actually getting started? Its like August and they said it would start in July?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Whenever the NTA approve the changes to routes and timetables and agreement is reached with drivers on new rosters.

As I've said before there is no hard and fast date for any of this.

I wonder why the NTA didn't just approve the plans before they were released the plan publically. could have done away with all the public consultantion too, and saved all this row back and delay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tourman

When is this actually getting started? Its like August and they said it would start in July?

The latest target is the end of August. But I wouldn't put too much faith in that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Phase 1 has already been approved by the NTA. The drivers are holding the show up now apparently.

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Phase 1 has already been approved by the NTA. The drivers are holding the show up now apparently.
    They have to get the job losses they want first and are looking for volunteers.
    Would you volunteer in the current job market or hold up things up or wait to be pushed? The changes that will make a better service for us are not without devastating consequences for those who lose their jobs and their families.

Redundancies have already been sorted as far as I was aware. Its the moving to different garages and changing of routes etc thats causing the problem.

Redundancies have already been sorted as far as I was aware. Its the moving to different garages and changing of routes etc thats causing the problem.
    Thats not the case they sorted out 250 redundancies last year and now are trying to get another 150 and not surprisingly are not getting the numbers they want. I hear that they have about 30 expressions of interest no definites and 120 short of whats required

• Advertisement

Thats not the case they sorted out 250 redundancies last year and now are trying to get another 150 and not surprisingly are not getting the numbers they want. I hear that they have about 30 expressions of interest no definites and 120 short of whats required

My information must not be 100%. But with the expected €30m cut for DB coming up in the budget they'd want to hurry up with their cost saving or there'll be a lot more jobs lost.

My information must not be 100%. But with the expected €30m cut for DB coming up in the budget they'd want to hurry up with their cost saving or there'll be a lot more jobs lost.
    I hadn't heard about the proposed 30m cut in the dec budget. I thought they were trying to make the cuts because of the current db forecast of 30m loss for the year. Though not certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Posted by Stevek101:
    But with the expected €30m cut for DB coming up in the budget they'd want to hurry up with their cost saving or there'll be a lot more jobs lost.

I believe the €30 Million is a figure intimated by the CIE chairman as applicable to the CIE budget reduction rather than a Dublin Bus specific one.
    Whilst we do know there will be a reduction of some amount the actual figure is still with the Departments I suspect.

Tourman posted :
    I hear that they have about 30 expressions of interest no definites and 120 short of whats required

The redundancy programme is currently ongoing with many qualifying staff yet to be interviewed.
    There are most certainly far more than 30 expressions of interest,I suspect this figure may well be the number of "definites" after the first tranche of letters ?

In any organization of 3000+ staff one will find a constantly evolving group who suddenly discover that the "Time is Right" to consider going on a particular offer.

I think the Company are simply moving on with the process and it`s early days yet.

Posted by Steviek101:
    Its the moving to different garages and changing of routes etc thats causing the problem.

With the Network Direct plan being such a major alteration in Dublin Bus`s operational structure,one can see that there will have to be a degree of Staff displacement.

However this is where the Company can reap the benefits of previous productivity agreements which established the guidelines for just this scenario.

What is becoming apparent however is the enormity of the structural changes surrounding Network Direct and especially the rostering of amalgamated routes and driver allocations.

It is an issue of Human Resource Management on a large scale and already there are signs of progress being made to address issues in an imaginative way.

What is obvious is the folly of making wildly innaccurate Time Frame announcements when it was quite apparent that they were ludicrously optimistic :)

Posted by Steviek101:
    Phase 1 has already been approved by the NTA

From what we know,Phase 1 of Network Direct has been approved in principle by the NTA.

With the Deloitte Report having been commissioned by Minister Dempsey,it would have been some Appalling Vista had it`s recommendations then been torpedo`d by his own Transport Authority.

However,it`s debatable that the High Court`s Swords Express judgement last week may now throw a very big spanner in the Network Direct works unless there is a further well of inventiveness in the Department of Transport`s cellars ? :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

The finalised planned routings and timetables have still to be approved by the NTA. It was only approved in principle by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I do think people need to make it clear to their public representatives the implications of extending the 84 to UCD is a 50% diminuition of the original proposed service in terms of frequency and that higher frequency would be preferable.

This is a very valid point from KC61 in relation to the orignial Network Directed 84.

A frequency of every 30 Mins was something which needed to be gotten through to those potential new-passengers living South Of Bray.

Once again,in true 746 style,we see the 84 becoming a bit of an oul help for the 46A between Foxrock Church and Belfield.

Changing the ethos of the 84 to one of a reliable reasonably frequent route linked directly into both other bus Routes and Luas is surely what the spirit of Network Direct is all about ?

What concerns me is how little actual complaint is required to spur management into a retreat from a well founded position.
    The "New Improved" 84 in common with many other Network Direct alterations really does need a bit of a Hard-Sell to get the message across and that appears to present us with problems ? :rolleyes:

Two months ago, I contacted DB to express my disappointment that the initial excellent proposal for a 30 minute frequency Route 84 between Newcastle and Cherrywood Luas had been revised to an hourly service to UCD via Cherrywood.

Finally got a response this week. Alas, the revised hourly service has been deemed the final answer.

Fumble!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

For those in the dun laoghaire area, information on ciaran cuffes website

http://www.ciarancuffe.ie/DublinBus

According to the community voice newspaper Dublin bus have said in a letter to a local councillor that they will consider proposals to retain the existing 220 in some form, but the planned changes remain.

The blanchardstown network direct map is not opening.

Wonder has there been an update?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

The Stillorgan map seems to be down too ....... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭noelfirl

New Lucan area map up, or at least new to me:

http://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/5996/New%20Lucan%20Corridor%20v7%20copy.pdf

So many pretty maps, but we need to see the follow through...

• Advertisement

It is a new Lucan map....which now includes the three orbital services that cross the Lucan QBC, the 18, 76a and 239. Not a bad idea as it shows the connectivity.

It also shows the 151 as terminating at Foxborough and not Kishoge Station thereby maintaining the connection with the 25b from Adamstown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

On the Lucan area map, I don't quite understand how the 76A serves both Balrothery and Fettercairn without massive looping. I was under the impression the 76/76A/76B were all to be combined into one route 76 operating between Blanchardstown and The Square only?

Bazzer2 wrote: »
    On the Lucan area map, I don't quite understand how the 76A serves both Balrothery and Fettercairn without massive looping. I was under the impression the 76/76A/76B were all to be combined into one route 76 operating between Blancharstown and The Square only?

They serve either Balrothery or Fettercairn - it looks like a "/" is missing between the two locations on the map.

The 76/a/b route reorganisation is in a later phase.

Can anyone clarify of the 239 currently serves griffeen road I didn't think so but according to the new Lucan map it will!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

A new map for the N11 corridor is up as well. Link.

Apparently the new N11 services will come into force on the 19 September, this Sunday!

edit: The amalgamation of the 39a and 10 routes won't come into effect until next month.
    All timetables will be redesigned so that they will be easier to understand. Please note that new timetables read from left to right and then line by line as in a book or magazine. Weekdays are given their own column separated by colour. All routes will now have stop-specific departure times at selected locations for e.g. route 46a will have specific departure times from D’Olier Street and UCD Belfield making it easier to plan your journey.

I hope these will appear online soon.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Network-Direct/Network-Direct-Phase-1/Stillorgan/
    Stillorgan/ North Wicklow
    Monday, September 13, 2010
    Dublin Bus is pleased to announce the first phase of the Network Direct project.

What does Network Direct mean for you?
    Starting on the 19th of September a more direct, high frequency, punctual bus service is coming to N11 Stillorgan, Dún Laoghaire, Bray and North Wicklow with improved cross city connections. Please Click (http://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/5998/Stillorgan%20Corridor%20Map%20Final%20Version%2002%2009%202010%20copy.pdf) to view a diagram or here to see FAQ's on services in these areas.

Quicker journey times
    Quicker journey times to key destinations.

High frequency services
    Routes 46a and 145 will have weekday frequencies of 10 minutes or better until 21:00.

Improved connections for customers
    Route 46a will provide a high frequency connection between Dún Laoghaire and the
    Phoenix Park via Belfield, Luas Green line, Luas Red line, the Mater Hospital and Phibsboro.
    Route 145 will provide a high frequency connection to Heuston Station from North
    Wicklow, Shankill, Cabinteely, Stillorgan and UCD Belfield.
    The extended route 47 will offer an all day service from Stepaside to Pearse Street via
    Stillorgan Village, St Vincent’s University Hospital and Ballsbridge.

Route Improvements
    Route 46a will be more direct. It will operate on the new Kill Avenue/Kill Lane QBC and use the Stillorgan bypass at all times, giving journey time savings of up to 15 minutes.

Route 63 will provide a connection between Dún Laoghaire, Monkstown Farm,
    Cornelscourt, the Luas and Kilternan.

Route 4 will be extended to Monkstown Avenue providing connections to Blackrock, Ballsbridge, City Centre, DCU and IKEA.

Route 145 will provide a more direct service, saving approximately 10 minutes, by operating via Bray Main street.

Route 47 will now operate to the City Centre.

Route 84 will serve the Luas at Cherrywood before continuing to Stillorgan Village and UCD Belfield.

Journey times will now be significantly improved with trips to the city centre from Dún Laoghaire and Bray taking on average less than 55 minutes.

Routes 46x and 746 will no longer operate. Alternative services can be used:
    46x – Customers can take a 46a to the city centre and change to Routes 41/16a or Airlink service to travel to Dublin Airport.

746 – Customers can take a 46a to the city centre and change to Routes 41/16a, Airlink in service for travel to Dublin airport.

* Customers should please note that the amalgamation of Routes 39a/10 will take place in October.

Timetable Changes
    All timetables will be redesigned so that they will be easier to understand. Please note that new timetables read from left to right and then line by line as in a book or magazine. Weekdays are given their own column separated by colour. All routes will now have stop-specific departure times at selected locations for e.g. route 46a will have specific departure times from D’Olier Street and UCD Belfield making it easier to plan your journey.

Timetable Changes

Does this now mean that 46a will stop at these locations if running early and not depart until the correct time?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭Trampas

noelfirl wrote: »
    New Lucan area map up, or at least new to me:

http://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/5996/New%20Lucan%20Corridor%20v7%20copy.pdf

So many pretty maps, but we need to see the follow through...

I think the 67 has got the short straw with the bus starting in moyglare. who knows how long it will take to get through maynooth

• Advertisement

So the lucky folks around the Phoenix park/phibsboro area will have both the 10 and the 46a for a while?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement