Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

The triaxle buses operating on the 39as today are showing the correct "ucd belfield" destination

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

The google maps function for the various routes appears to be updated now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

phasers wrote: »
    That map is extremely confusing, it shows the 40 bypassing the Fonthill Road and yet it apparently isn't?

Also I'd have no idea any of this was happening if it weren't for this forum. How hard would it be for DB to advertise a bit?

A few notices on stops. It was great when I was at the Essex Quay stop looking for a timetable for the main buses that stop there 83, 51B/C, 78A and all I got was information on the Network Direct 46A/145 corridor. They'd taken away the information needed for routes not affected by the change and replaced the full board with a Network Direct map:pac:

Otherwise it appears that they specifically want it all done quietly..I think they think they can pull this off without anyone ever noticing

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭med1

the gentlemen in dublin bus to contact apparently are donal keating and ray coyne they work in network directs planing department in o connell street.send them lots of post with disattisfaction:mad:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I have spoke to Donal on a couple of occasions in the past as he was area manager for Harristown and Clontarf, and believe me, you'd be much better off contacting Ray Coyne, as he is the one who pulls the strings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭kthnxbai

Any word when Phase 2 is due to begin?

Well they've announced changes on the Finglas, Ballyfermot and Balbriggan routes, and the information stands are out on the 4th (for Finglas anyway)... So they must be crackin on fairly soon...
    If I remember correctly there was a fair gap between the announcement of the changes for Bray/Stillorgan/Blanch before they held info evenings or anything so it looks like they want to do it quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

kthnxbai wrote: »
    Well they've announced changes on the Finglas, Ballyfermot and Balbriggan routes, and the information stands are out on the 4th (for Finglas anyway)...

That's because these areas were moved into Phase 1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭med1

havnt seen a balbriggan announcement were did u see it i thought tallaght rathfarnham was next

First experience of the new Hawkins St arrangements tonight.

I walk towards College Green on Dame St. I see AX523 operating a 51C and it stops where the 37/39s and the old 77 stop. This stop has the numbers serving it (on the pole) as being the Blanchardstown buses, not the Clondalkin ones. A large group of people as ever, but only one person got on AX523.

I walk around College Green and see VT61 and AX560 sitting and departing as 37s from the 10/151 stop. An EV operating a 68 turns away onto Westmoreland St. I board AV295. People ask the driver about the 39 and he directs them to Aston Quay, others try to decode stop information on the pole and walk away. AV295 departs, gets stuck at the lights forever onto College Green.

Approaching the stop mentioned with AX523 above, still very large group of people and nobody gets on. It also stopped beyond Dublin Castle which does mention the 51s on the pole and stuck in more traffic at Christchurch. Maybe an extra 5-10 minutes onto a journey with a clear Dame St at 10pm than a departure from the Quays. I admit AV295 is a very slow, poor and loud bus, so maybe that exaggerated it.

Do the 37s/39s stop on Dame St? If not, I'd be worried about the amount of people at that stop. Also the pole says nothing about the 51s stopping there. A lot of confusion...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

dfx- wrote: »
    Do the 37s/39s stop on Dame St? If not, I'd be worried about the amount of people at that stop. Also the pole says nothing about the 51s stopping there. A lot of confusion...

Not anymore, no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Is Rathfarnham/Knocklyon/Tallaght next? If so, eta on the initial proposals?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭dirtynosebeps

Do the 37s/39s stop on Dame St? If not, I'd be worried about the amount of people at that stop.A lot of confusion...
    all 37's,8's,9's and 70's come down dawson street left towards suffolk street ,down church lane then right onto college green and left towards westmoreland street. at no point in time will they be using dame street again.
    sorry dfx if i'm coming across as being abrupt it's becuase of the amount of people waiting at the ulster bank in dame street/college green for the d.15 routes is un-real.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The amount of people waiting at the ulster bank in dame street/college green for the d.15 routes is un-real.

Gosh Dirtynosebeps,who`d a thunk it....!

One would have imagined that this would have been THE City-Centre area in which to concentrate Informative resources ?

I wonder if it was overlooked ?

Sometimes innovation can be your friend.....just look at the Cycle Cabs or some Sandwich Board people.....plenty of Exposure there...just look at some of the off-service buses...big hi-viz vinyls..."Yizzer Buz duzzent cum dis way anymore Mizzez"....Simple,Blunt and VISIBLE,that`s what peeps want,it`s what they understand.

I`m afraid nice pastel shaded spider maps just don`t wash....:(

Bit OT I know,but what happened to the principle of ALL Company Information Material following the (Expensively accquired) Corporate Hi-Viz format...Yella and Black.....the alternative ND colouring of Blue does not grab one`s attention at all,at the exact time when it SHOULD be searing the eyeballs off one !! :eek:

PS: The potential for trouble at Church Lane has now been ratcheted up by 1000%...Is it sensible,I ponder to route SO many routes through the eye of this particular needle ?...Just a thought ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

kthnxbai wrote: »
    Well they've announced changes on the Finglas, Ballyfermot and Balbriggan routes, and the information stands are out on the 4th (for Finglas anyway)... So they must be crackin on fairly soon...
    If I remember correctly there was a fair gap between the announcement of the changes for Bray/Stillorgan/Blanch before they held info evenings or anything so it looks like they want to do it quickly

They have NOT announced any changes to/from Balbriggan.

First experience of the new Hawkins St arrangements tonight.

I walk towards College Green on Dame St. I see AX523 operating a 51C and it stops where the 37/39s and the old 77 stop. This stop has the numbers serving it (on the pole) as being the Blanchardstown buses, not the Clondalkin ones. A large group of people as ever, but only one person got on AX523.

I walk around College Green and see VT61 and AX560 sitting and departing as 37s from the 10/151 stop. An EV operating a 68 turns away onto Westmoreland St. I board AV295. People ask the driver about the 39 and he directs them to Aston Quay, others try to decode stop information on the pole and walk away. AV295 departs, gets stuck at the lights forever onto College Green.

Approaching the stop mentioned with AX523 above, still very large group of people and nobody gets on. It also stopped beyond Dublin Castle which does mention the 51s on the pole and stuck in more traffic at Christchurch. Maybe an extra 5-10 minutes onto a journey with a clear Dame St at 10pm than a departure from the Quays. I admit AV295 is a very slow, poor and loud bus, so maybe that exaggerated it.

There are now signs (albeit rather amateurish handwritten ones) with the correct numbers on the stops in Suffolk Street, Dame Street and on Aston Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

From what I hear another fifty buses were put up for sale yesterday.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    PS: The potential for trouble at Church Lane has now been ratcheted up by 1000%...Is it sensible,I ponder to route SO many routes through the eye of this particular needle ?...Just a thought ?

Maybe not sensible, but unfortunately it's rather essential since it's the only effective way to get to/from Stephen's Green.

all 37's,8's,9's and 70's come down dawson street left towards suffolk street ,down church lane then right onto college green and left towards westmoreland street. at no point in time will they be using dame street again.
    sorry dfx if i'm coming across as being abrupt it's becuase of the amount of people waiting at the ulster bank in dame street/college green for the d.15 routes is un-real.

I was just making sure, I don't use the 37/38/39/70s, but there were a lot of people there last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Stevek101 wrote: »
    From what I hear another fifty buses were put up for sale yesterday.

indeed they were

http://www.etenders.gov.ie./search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=NOV180418

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Would they be the last of the old double door buses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

phasers wrote: »
    Would they be the last of the old double door buses?

many of them anyway. i would have thought there were more than 50 still around though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

So can you pick up the 39/37 from the stop just down from the corner of Leeson Street and St Stephens Green, opposite CUS?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Any one got any experience of the new 38/38A routes as a result of Dublin Bus’s Network Review?

This came in last weekend, and both today and yesterday there were no buses from 7.50am to 8.30am from Blanchardstown. I had to be in work for 9am this morning and hence ended up getting a taxi, at a cost of €20. I used to have a very nice bus that came at 8.14 regular as clock work and got me into work for 8.50.

At the bus-stop which used to have 4-5 people, there were 47 people this morning. The taxi did not pass one bus on the way into town.

The journey home last night was 90 minutes – and my mother, who lives nearby was an hour waiting in O’Connell St for a bus. These buses when they arrive are so over crowded that the driver will only accept one or two passengers. The bus was standing room only and nearly everyone was on their phones trying to make arrangements for lifts etc.

I cannot afford to be taking a taxi to work every day. The traffic was so bad this morning that taking the car was not an option.

At the start of October, I phoned Dublin Bus to ask what was happening to the 38C as Connolly Hospital was closing its entrances/exits. I was told that (a) this wasn’t happening (b) this hadn’t be told to them (c) what did I (a customer!) think they should do and (d) someone would call me back – no-one did.

Yesterday and today I have emailed Dublin Bus about the current situation and also rung them five times – which goes straight to voicemail. Eventually I telephoned their press office through my ‘official entity’ – someone would call me back. Nothing.

There are no displays at the bus stops, no leaflets!

Dublin Bus get a Public Service Obligation subvention from the Government. For what?!

amtc wrote: »
    Any one got any experience of the new 38/38A routes as a result of Dublin Bus’s Network Review?

This came in last weekend, and both today and yesterday there were no buses from 7.50am to 8.30am from Blanchardstown. I had to be in work for 9am this morning and hence ended up getting a taxi, at a cost of €20. I used to have a very nice bus that came at 8.14 regular as clock work and got me into work for 8.50.

At the bus-stop which used to have 4-5 people, there were 47 people this morning. The taxi did not pass one bus on the way into town.

The journey home last night was 90 minutes – and my mother, who lives nearby was an hour waiting in O’Connell St for a bus. These buses when they arrive are so over crowded that the driver will only accept one or two passengers. The bus was standing room only and nearly everyone was on their phones trying to make arrangements for lifts etc.

I cannot afford to be taking a taxi to work every day. The traffic was so bad this morning that taking the car was not an option.

At the start of October, I phoned Dublin Bus to ask what was happening to the 38C as Connolly Hospital was closing its entrances/exits. I was told that (a) this wasn’t happening (b) this hadn’t be told to them (c) what did I (a customer!) think they should do and (d) someone would call me back – no-one did.

Yesterday and today I have emailed Dublin Bus about the current situation and also rung them five times – which goes straight to voicemail. Eventually I telephoned their press office through my ‘official entity’ – someone would call me back. Nothing.

There are no displays at the bus stops, no leaflets!

Dublin Bus get a Public Service Obligation subvention from the Government. For what?!

That's off the wall - there should be 5 buses in that time between the 38 and 38a.

Where were you waiting?

AGC wrote: »
    So can you pick up the 39/37 from the stop just down from the corner of Leeson Street and St Stephens Green, opposite CUS?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

KC61 wrote: »
    That's off the wall - there should be 5 buses in that time between the 38 and 38a.

Where were you waiting?

Across from Waterville.

Only automated replies from Dublin Bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Across from Waterville.

I got a 38 from the Halfway House this morning at about 09.05 and had literally just missed a 38A. There was maybe 10 people sitting downstairs and 5 upstairs. Everyone must have had enough and got a taxi!!

Across from Waterville.

That is madness - I had thought you might have been at Mulhuddart village where the 38 doesn't serve any more.

There ought to be a bus every 10 minutes.

Try dialling Phibsboro depot directly - (01) 703 3462.

So with those going, how many more are left until the entire fleet is low-floor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

According to the DB website there are 111 still remaining in the fleet. With these 50 RV,s gone there should be 61 left.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement