Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Shoota

I work on Baggot Street, therefore thought the "extended" route for the 39 was a major bonus, but after waiting for nigh on 45 minutes three nights for either a 39 or a 39A, I've realised that the route extention is nothing more of a cover to try and combine the 39 and the old 10, get rid of a few jobs from Dublin bus, keep costs low etc.

ITs so frustrating to wait half an hour for a 39a and when one arrives have the bus driver say hes only going to town :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Shoota wrote: »
    I've realised that the route extention is nothing more of a cover to try and combine the 39 and the old 10

There's no cover, the 10 was split in two with the southern part being amalgamated into the 39A. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

I thought they were getting rid of the 25x, no? I see the revised timetable up on the site but the map of stops doesn't seem to be available. Is it no longer serving the Ballyowen Rd?

The 25x remains, but only to/from Dodsboro. The new 25a and 25b replace the 25x in South Lucan (both routes now use the Chapelizod bypass).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I work on Baggot Street, therefore thought the "extended" route for the 39 was a major bonus, but after waiting for nigh on 45 minutes three nights for either a 39 or a 39A, I've realised that the route extention is nothing more of a cover to try and combine the 39 and the old 10, get rid of a few jobs from Dublin bus, keep costs low etc.

It`s posts like this that render the motto "Serving the entire Community" somewhat meaningless do they not ?

AVLS,RTPI or indeed any amount of electronic technology will not fix what has just been broken here.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

Standing outside Forbidden Planet watching 39as sail past is the bane of my existence. We get only a 39 every half hour and it's usually 20 minutes late.

Now, if Dublin Bus could be consistently late, that would be something.

Turning up at a bus stop with a vague expectation that a bus will be along some time in the next 40 minutes is just not good enough. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

SafetyPin wrote: »
    in other news,
    yesterday I seen a 46a depart Mountjoy Square and today on O Connell Street, a 145.

Now, am I mistaken in believing that these routes shouldn't be there at all?

Im seeing similar while awaiting my beloved 145 at Eglinton rd, many Phibs depot buses heading inward as 46a's and 145's to CC. Me thinks they are 39a's........

Its like what you see south of Foxrock, 3 Belfield ~ ringing any alarm bells?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

People in Beaumont are starting to get exercised on the larceny that is about to be committed on its bus service with the removal of the 16 service and the re-routing of the 20B which will result in the area from Beaumont House to Ardlea Road being denuded of its bus service.

One solution would be to re-route the 27B via Beaumont Road, Skelly's Lane and Kilmore Road to Ardlea Road. It is an area with an increasingly elderly population which deserves better than the solution that is being offered currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

clunked wrote: »
    People in Beaumont are starting to get exercised on the larceny that is about to be committed on its bus service with the removal of the 16 service and the re-routing of the 20B which will result in the area from Beaumont House to Ardlea Road being denuded of its bus service.

One solution would be to re-route the 27B via Beaumont Road, Skelly's Lane and Kilmore Road to Ardlea Road. It is an area with an increasingly elderly population which deserves better than the solution that is being offered currently.

That may well be what happens.

To be fair for anyone going to/from the airport the diversion around Beaumont is no fun either.

It is very difficult to please everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

KC61 wrote: »

To be fair for anyone going to/from the airport the diversion around Beaumont is no fun either.

Are they really going to stop the 16 going to Beaumont? First I've heard.
    That will be a shame because it is my only way of reaching the hospital (I'm a medical student) from where I live without taking two buses.

As I understand it (and I stress this is only going on a degree of rumour) the plan is for the 16 and 16a to merge and a single route operate from Ballinteer to the Airport without serving Beaumont.

The 20b will be re-routed left at the Beaumont House to serve the Shanard Road area.

It would make sense for the 27b to be re-routed as clunked suggests to compensate for the 20b re-routing.

This won't be happening until sometime in 2011.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

So basically it looks like the service on all the buses that used to leave from Hawkins Street has gone to pot. I get the 38/38A and have been left waiting up to an hour for a bus and from reading posts here, it looks like the same thing's happening to the 39s and 70. If only Dublin Bus were accountable.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

So basically it looks like the service on all the buses that used to leave from Hawkins Street has gone to pot. I get the 38/38A and have been left waiting up to an hour for a bus and from reading posts here, it looks like the same thing's happening to the 39s and 70. If only Dublin Bus were accountable.....

Well there`s no lack of accountability for the Platform Staff with all the usual disciplinary procedures still in place for those Drivers who fail to courteously explain to irate (soon to be ex) customers who fail to understand how waiting 45 minutes for a supposedly 8-10 min frequency route is an "Improvement". :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Bazzer2 wrote: »
    I've been hearing stories of people waiting on Leeson Street for a 70 to Dunboyne for TWO HOURS yesterday evening, when there should have been at least four buses within that time.

I wonder why none of them just decided to get up and walk to Pearse, get a train, then transfer at Clonsilla...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

I think the 39a should be coming up at the n3 hospital junction over the bridge and left stopping at total fitness. It would be about a 5-10 minute walk for people using the village

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Was waiting 35 mins for a 39/a into town on friday evening, every 10 mins my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

TheChrisD wrote: »
    I wonder why none of them just decided to get up and walk to Pearse, get a train, then transfer at Clonsilla...

Maybe they have weekly, monthly or annual bus tickets?
    Maybe they didn't know the train timetable and didn't know when the next train would be, how long the connection would take or if the last train had left?
    Maybe they had no idea how long they'd be waiting and assumed a bus would be along soon, especially after they'd waited an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

What the hell has happened the 17A?
    Im at the terminal everyday at 8 and the bus doesnt arrive til 20 past.
    Its bloody useless.

Im fooking sick of being late for work because irishrail and dublinbus dont stick to their fooking timetables

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I tried to wait for a 4 today, there was no sign of them at all this morning. Again I am late :(

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Marlay

I used to get the 67X from Stephens Green at 17:00. With the new timetable all the buses now depart from UCD. Anyone know roughly when the 16:50 from UCD will reach the Green? I know its going to vary wildly depending on time of year/weather/term time, but at least a rough estimate would help. Probably not going to matter anyway, as that bus was always full 3 stops later. So most likely won't be able to board now that its coming all the way from UCD.

Marlay wrote: »
    I used to get the 67X from Stephens Green at 17:00. With the new timetable all the buses now depart from UCD. Anyone know roughly when the 16:50 from UCD will reach the Green? I know its going to vary wildly depending on time of year/weather/term time, but at least a rough estimate would help. Probably not going to matter anyway, as that bus was always full 3 stops later. So most likely won't be able to board now that its coming all the way from UCD.

About 20/25 minutes I would guess given the vagaries of traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

KC61, at the airport you have a wide choice of service. One can take the 41 to the airport from Dorset Street or the 747/8 or Aircoach. In Beaumont there will be no such option. As you probably know, the 16A was originally a Beaumont service. Perhaps another solution would be to terminate the 16A in Santry via Beaumont and run the 16 to the airport via the Swords Road.

However as we all know the Network Direct scheme is a cost shredding scheme dressed up as something else. I'm not a Dublin Bus/ CIE basher, afterall they were my first employer but if they get something wrong, and there seems to be plenty of it at the moment, perhaps things need to be looked again at.

That may well be what happens. To be fair for anyone going to/from the airport the diversion around Beaumont is no fun either.

People travelling from the airport to the city centre can (and should) take express services instead of local services. At the very least, they should take direct services.

People who work and live in the airport are not going to take connecting buses or walk 20 minutes to get to a 41 to get to the airport - they're going to drive instead. The airport is a major employer, a massive trip generator and for some reason DB want to have less routes going there instead of more.

Right now, if you live in Georges St or Rathfarnham, you can get a direct bus to the airport. If you live in Finglas, Ballymun or Coolock you can't.

markpb wrote: »
    People travelling from the airport to the city centre can (and should) take express services instead of local services. At the very least, they should take direct services.

People who work and live in the airport are not going to take connecting buses or walk 20 minutes to get to a 41 to get to the airport - they're going to drive instead. The airport is a major employer, a massive trip generator and for some reason DB want to have less routes going there instead of more.

Right now, if you live in Georges St or Rathfarnham, you can get a direct bus to the airport. If you live in Finglas, Ballymun or Coolock you can't.

I'm not disagreeing that more services are needed to/from the airport - if it were me I would bring the 27b out there. There is talk of the 140 being extended to the airport also.

But I think that there is a need for the 41 to be straightened out too - bypassing the airport, with the 16 taking over as the main airport route. Why should 50% of Swords services take a detour around the airport? At the same time the 102 needs strengthening.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

why? Its much more expensive and many ticket are not valid. If they have the time, there is no reason not use cheaper services if you want

clunked wrote: »
    KC61, at the airport you have a wide choice of service. One can take the 41 to the airport from Dorset Street or the 747/8 or Aircoach. In Beaumont there will be no such option. As you probably know, the 16A was originally a Beaumont service. Perhaps another solution would be to terminate the 16A in Santry via Beaumont and run the 16 to the airport via the Swords Road.

However as we all know the Network Direct scheme is a cost shredding scheme dressed up as something else. I'm not a Dublin Bus/ CIE basher, afterall they were my first employer but if they get something wrong, and there seems to be plenty of it at the moment, perhaps things need to be looked again at.

Personally I would redesign the local network as follows:

Extend 16 from Santry directly along Swords Road to the Airport bypassing Beaumont and Shanard Road.
    Cancel route 16a.
    Reroute the 20b to Shanard Road.
    Reroute the 27b to serve Ardlea Road, Beaumont Road and Beaumont Hospital and extend to the Airport.
    Take the 41/41b out of the Airport to route directly to/from the city along the Swords Road.
    Extend the 140 to the airport.
    Increase the 102 and perhaps introduce a second local service between the Airport and Swords Manor.

why? Its much more expensive and many ticket are not valid. If they have the time, there is no reason not use cheaper services if you want

If you have a daily, weekly, monthly or annual ticket, the express services are included free of charge so it's no more expensive. Most tourists will have these. Moreso, if you have luggage, there's no guarantee that there will be space to stow it on the local services.

There is no reason for DB to provide a *subsidised* local service to and from the airport for tourists when they don't provide any service for most of the suburbs directly around the airport where people live.
    I'm not disagreeing that more services are needed to/from the airport - if it were me I would bring the 27b out there. There is talk of the 140 being extended to the airport also.

But I think that there is a need for the 41 to be straightened out too - bypassing the airport, with the 16 taking over as the main airport route. Why should 50% of Swords services take a detour around the airport? At the same time the 102 needs strengthening.

Agreed.

As it is changing DB routes at the Airport is a minefield as the DoT have been reluctant to authorise any changes due to the large number of private operators there for fear they might take legal action against them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭SparkyTech

As it is changing DB routes at the Airport is a minefield as the DoT have been reluctant to authorise any changes due to the large number of private operators there for fear they might take legal action against them.

Its suprising the DOT don't view the airport as a potential transport intercahnge for Dublin Bus, given the lack of a metro/luas at the airport to connect passengers to the city centre,

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

Anyone know exactly where the 25a leaves town from now? It says Merrion Square on the site but the view map option shows it leaving from Pearse street still. Which part of Merrion Square?? I don't want to be wandering around in the rain trying to squint at the numbers on the stops (if they've been updated yet).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Heart

The 25/a/b, 66/a/b & 67 all leave from Merrion Square South, same side the 13 & 13a terminate on.

The 66/a/b & 67 can also be caught on Merrion Square North opposite Holles Street junction.

Hope this helps.
    H

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement