Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

I noticed today that the 77/A, 50 and 56A have been taken the stop on College St and replaced by the 66, 67 etc.

Does anybody know if they have been moved on College St or does one have to walk to Dame St to get these buses?

They moved the 151 as well. It's now outside the Ulster Bank on Dame Street (as well as still stopping further down Dame Street), so perhaps they've been moved to this area (:

Edit: Nevermind XD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

The 151 also stops in Hawkins Street between Burgh Quay and Poolbeg Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Not having any 66X's between 8 and 9 and no extra 66's to compensate is really working well...the 8:33 66 arrives in leixlip at 8:58 and takes an hour to get into town, lots of people standing. I miss the 8:50 66X! Which used to be full as well...really did they think these services were not used enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

A new timetable was put up at the Ballyfermot Village bus stop, at the bus stop for buses towards town.

The only problem with the timetable is that it lists buses coming from town.

This is before Ballyfermot even sees "the benifits" of Network Direct;).

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

BenShermin wrote: »
    A new timetable was put up at the Ballyfermot Village bus stop, at the bus stop for buses towards town.

The only problem with the timetable is that it lists buses coming from town.

This is before Ballyfermot even sees "the benifits" of Network Direct;).

Monkstown village is the same, southbound stop has northbound info.

• Advertisement

Monkstown village is the same, southbound stop has northbound info.
    Absolute joke isn't it, if I showed that much incompetence in my private sector job it would be a word in private with the boss the first time. The second time I'd probably be seeing the P45 in the postbox.

Most of the timetables are not even on the poster I might add, rather there is a text number to give Dublin Bus more revenue to find out the time of your bus. If they used less space for advertising this text number they could fit more timetables in. I've been at bus stops in London that up to 10 buses use, and all the relevant info for all the buses has been displayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Absolute joke isn't it, if I showed that much incompetence in my private sector job it would be a word in private with the boss the first time. The second time I'd probably be seeing the P45 in the postbox.

The same point can also be made in relation to DB`s Drivers,who have had to bear the brunt of the adverse and ongoing customer reaction.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Not exactly on topic, but today seemed a complete disaster for the buses with the protest. Was on the 151 and my driver clearly was not being told where he should go, and was just making it up as he went along. After half the bus emptying at St. Patrick's Cathedral after he said last stop, he then decided/was told otherwise and got to the quays, going Westbound as far as James Joyce before turning around.

At the end of the protest, I was standing at the O'Connell Street corner onto Aston Quay, there were three or four drivers standing there, clearly confused, and another came over saying something along the lines of "I think you've to go over there."

Dublin Bus just seem incapable of planning for unexpected situations, so pray we don't have another winter of heavy snow. It would be a disaster happening at the same time as Network Direct :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

cking 39a.
    I got one this evening at 17:30 on suffocks street and tought, nice once it should reach the centre in about 30/40 mins.
    The bus went around the corner to the stop on the quays and sat there.
    I thought, ok maybe it's staged times, so it has to wait 10 mins that can happen.
    After I had been sitting there for 30 mins, with people still boarding the bus I went down to find out what the hell was going on, esp as a 39 passed the bus by.
    The driver informed me that he was ending his shift and had to wait for a replacement driver who had not shown up yet, I asked him why he had not announced it and he said he didn't' know how long it was going to be.

I asked how much longer it was going to be and he said he wasn't sure he was waiting for an inspector to get back to him. Que people who had heard the converstaion getting off.

He said I could get on the next 39/a which pulled in and I asked him for a transfer ticket but he said he could not do that as the bus was not going out of service just waiting for a driver.

Needless to say I was pissed off, 2 euro 20 to travel one stop?

I ended up sharing a taxi home as I could not get on the next bus which arrived as it was full enough reaching the stop and was mobbed by those who got off the 39a I was on.

In the end 50 mins after I had first got on the bus and with the fall of temp I shared a taxi home to blanch with a couple who were as pissed off as I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

dunno if weather related by the gf reported the first inbound 84 this morning turning right of the N11 at Cornelscourt down Clonkeen road for some reason, around 6.20-6.30am

• Advertisement

dunno if weather related by the gf reported the first inbound 84 this morning turning right of the N11 at Cornelscourt down Clonkeen road for some reason, around 6.20-6.30am

Me thinks that the ghost, does a loop of bakers and newtownpark back upto the N11.

After I had been sitting there for 30 mins, with people still boarding the bus I went down to find out what the hell was going on, esp as a 39 passed the bus by.
    The driver informed me that he was ending his shift and had to wait for a replacement driver who had not shown up yet, I asked him why he had not announced it and he said he didn't' know how long it was going to be.

I asked how much longer it was going to be and he said he wasn't sure he was waiting for an inspector to get back to him. Que people who had heard the converstaion getting off.

He said I could get on the next 39/a which pulled in and I asked him for a transfer ticket but he said he could not do that as the bus was not going out of service just waiting for a driver.

Interestingly enough,it would appear that there was only a single controller on duty in the Central Control Room even though we were well flagged to have a very big event effecting traffic flow.

Added to this was the somewhat predictable occurances of individual Gardaí taking off on solo-runs and disregarding Bus-Only routings already pre-agreed at their Senior Management level,this was a particular issue at the Matt Talbot Bridge where some Buses were prevented from turning right back onto Burgh Quay as agreed.

This may well have been the reason for the no-show of Theydal`s relief driver as he/she may well have been standing like a muppet somewhere the Bus was`nt !

There is no longer a "Transfer Ticket" available,which is academic anyway as the Transfer Ticket was always issued to cover a Bus Handover rather than an individual passenger,although in our inimitable style we invented a new definition for it.

In the situation described by Theydal,the original journey ticket would remein valid for the journey on a replacement bus/alternative route.

As I would see it the biggest failing here was the Drivers reluctance to utilize the P/A to keep passengers updated.

This,sadly is a widespread deficiency within the company,and one which could/should be eradicated by a focused training module in on-bus communication.

Instead however,the Company tends to focus it`s gaze on all manner of extraneous stuff,especially if any tenuous "Safety" related tag can be pinned to it.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Thaedydal wrote: »
    cking 39a.
    I got one this evening at 17:30 on suffocks street and tought, nice once it should reach the centre in about 30/40 mins.
    The bus went around the corner to the stop on the quays and sat there.
    I thought, ok maybe it's staged times, so it has to wait 10 mins that can happen.

I ended up sharing a taxi home as I could not get on the next bus which arrived as it was full enough reaching the stop and was mobbed by those who got off the 39a I was on.

In the end 50 mins after I had first got on the bus and with the fall of temp I shared a taxi home to blanch with a couple who were as pissed off as I was.

Your driver was obviously a complete twat though

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Heart

In regard to yesterdays march, the diversions and road closures advertised by the Gardai where not the same diversions and road closures which occurred in practice.

In one example, Burgh Quay was closed last minute by Gardai despite the fact that most cross city services were told that this was open and it was their diversion route... While DB might have problems in certain areas, can't hold them responsible when things like this occur.

H

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Me thinks that the ghost, does a loop of bakers and newtownpark back upto the N11.

Does that diversion via Clonkeen Road, Kill Lane, Abbey Park, Link Road, Deansgrange Road, Stradbrook Road and Newtownpark Avenue still happen on the first 84 inbound?

Thought it was for the chop with the route change?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

With regards to the 145: Along with around 15 or 20 other people, I was at the bus stop on D'Olier street at 11.15pm last night waiting for the last bus home.

Our last bus home arrived at 12.30 am, after two conductors meant to be monitoring the NiteLinks finally managed to get another bus sent up to us.

We had been told that the bus was on it's way and was at Capel street bridge before it even hit midnight.

Who exactly can I contact to complain about this? I'm absolutely outraged.

Try 8734222 tomorrow .

However,post Network Direct, I am now somewhat concerned that the notion of "Customer is King" has been quietly dispensed with.

Given the nature and extent of the destruction of formerly functional trunk routes such as the 46A,145 along with the performing niche routes such as the 92, I have to suggest a level of "Official" collaboration in what has turned out to be a hugely negative operation for the company.

There appears to be a "new-ethos" now in place,albeit without official announcement,that waiting times can be extended to whatever is necessary as long as the Buses themselves are FULL.

Way back at the beginning of this disaster I noted an overheard comment reportedly from a member of senior DB management that it was great "To see the Buses Full again",this now appears to have been not so much a throw-away remark as an expression of the "New Reality" of Public Bus Services in Dublin.

It is a very serious situation Policy wise,as this new direction will be imposed upon any new-entrants brave enough to tender for Licences from the National Transport Authority from 2014.

It all seems so long ago now that a former Taoiseach spoke about his crusade to ensure that Government policies would prevent a "Race-To-The-Bottom".....In Irish Public Transport terms at least,that race is now well and truly underway.

samsamson wrote: »
    With regards to the 145: Along with around 15 or 20 other people, I was at the bus stop on D'Olier street at 11.15pm last night waiting for the last bus home.

Our last bus home arrived at 12.30 am, after two conductors meant to be monitoring the NiteLinks finally managed to get another bus sent up to us.

We had been told that the bus was on it's way and was at Capel street bridge before it even hit midnight.

Who exactly can I contact to complain about this? I'm absolutely outraged.

7034404, the mans name is Rafferty and hes meeting unions this week (wednesday) to discuss the running time issues on the 145,63,47 and 46a.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

There appears to be a "new-ethos" now in place,albeit without official announcement,that waiting times can be extended to whatever is necessary as long as the Buses themselves are FULL
    By eschewing the "customer is king" ethos, they can guarantee that private automobiles will be full instead of the buses. And didn't they commit the same error with the previous "branding" (CitySwift and City Imp) where overly-frequent operation led to bus bunching?

KC61 wrote: »
    Does that diversion via Clonkeen Road, Kill Lane, Abbey Park, Link Road, Deansgrange Road, Stradbrook Road and Newtownpark Avenue still happen on the first 84 inbound?

Thought it was for the chop with the route change?

This is still the later staff bus too.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

The 4's are still in a bit of a jocker really. Every week I have instances where busses don't turn up, arrive late, or two arrive at once. The 9.15 hardly ever shows - if it does then it's late, and the 9.30 is right behind it. If I aim for the 9.30, then that won't turn up and I have to get the 45.

I see the People before Profit lads keep protesting against the 46a changes too, by making a bus or two go through Monkstown Farm. Do they not realise that the road is not fit for busses at all, especially since the ramps were put down?

Slightly OT - what are the new signs on the bus stops? They have been screwed into the bus stop signs, have 4 digit numbers and braille underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

jenizzle wrote: »
    Slightly OT - what are the new signs on the bus stops? They have been screwed into the bus stop signs, have 4 digit numbers and braille underneath.

These new signs contain the code for that specific bus stop. This code can be sent via text message or web to find out what time the next buses will be at that stop (Real Time Passenger Information).

For example:

Route 4 To Ballymun - 3 minutes
    Route 7 To O'Connell Street - 8 minutes

It is being rolled out across the city and should be ready early next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tae laidir

Telchak wrote: »
    They moved the 151 as well. It's now outside the Ulster Bank on Dame Street (as well as still stopping further down Dame Street), so perhaps they've been moved to this area (:

Edit: Nevermind XD
    I searched outside the Ulster Bank and couldn't find a 151 stop.
    I also phoned Ringsend Garage.
    There is no 50/77/77A/56A stop between Pearse Street & Dame Street (Olympia Theatre).
    Must be the longest gap of any route in Dublin.
    Or perhaps, the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Heart

Tae laidir wrote: »
    There is no 50/77/77A/56A stop between Pearse Street & Dame Street (Olympia Theatre).
    Or perhaps, the world!

The 151 now stops in Hawkins Street (Stop CL), beside the junction with Burgh Quay and also on College Green, at Ulster Bank/junction with Church Lane... see here:
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Stop-on-Map/?returnurl=/en/&stopnumber=4522&toBoxOrNot=false

jenizzle wrote: »
    I see the People before Profit lads keep protesting against the 46a changes too, by making a bus or two go through Monkstown Farm. Do they not realise that the road is not fit for busses at all, especially since the ramps were put down?
    Could you clarify this? Are the protesters actually blocking the road and forcing the bus to divert? Is the protest legal and planned I wonder?

If it's an illigal protest then the bus driver should stop the bus and call the Gardaí in my opinion. After all the bus driver is only trying to do their job, why don't these People Before Profit lads actually do something worthwhile and complain/protest to Network Direct HQ. Diverting buses in such a way only inconvieniences passengers who are trying to get used to the new route!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Or perhaps, the world!

51B/51C/151 are the second bus stop at Ulster Bank on College Green and the stop is clearly marked (Dame Street is further up)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

If it's an illigal protest then the bus driver should stop the bus and call the Gardaí in my opinion. After all the bus driver is only trying to do their job, why don't these People Before Profit lads actually do something worthwhile and complain/protest to Network Direct HQ. Diverting buses in such a way only inconvieniences passengers who are trying to get used to the new route!

because they never do anything worth while. they just try and block any kind of progress made anywhere with anti wealth, anti progress and pro poverty nonesense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

because they never do anything worth while. they just try and block any kind of progress made anywhere with anti wealth, anti progress and pro poverty nonesense

Absolutely correct there. I have availed of the new 46A and I have to say cutting out Monkstown Farm has made a huge difference. This detour alone took up to 20 minutes at times. Not exactly attractive for the wider clientelle who avail of this service as a feeder bus from Dun Laoghaire DART Station or those travelling to Dun Laoghaire from Stillorgan and the like. With the recently introduced traffic calming measures, Oliver Plunkett Road became even more unsuitable for buses.

These protesters seem to be blissfully unaware that the 63 route now goes through Oliver Pluckett Road (Monkstown Farm) which I got up to PC World in Carrickmines on Saturday. From my experience, I have to say, it is VERY reliable. For example, I went over to the Carrickmines Retail Park bus stop after texting 53503 for the 63. According to the response it left Kiltiernan at 17:45. It arrived at the stop at 17:55 or there abouts. That's pretty impressive considering that it was running late to Kiltiernan as I spotted it on it's way up to the terminus after it's intended departure time. Also, let's not forget that the 4 bus now serves Monkstown Avenue which is also a former stretch of the 46A's original routing. Though, I have heard that the 4 has had a massive reduction in it's frequency which I am not applauding Dublin Bus for. Nevertheless, my experience on the 46A has improved dramatically with it's new alignment.

Going slightly off topic, I was waiting for a 7 and a 145 albeit on seperate occassions and I do see how people are appauled at these routes. In the last two weeks, I have braved the elements and availed of the 7 from Killiney Shopping Center twice. On the very two weeks that they shouldn't have done so, I saw this particular bus travelling in convoy of two, resulting in half hour waiting times. I've got to ask, is this the result of one bus catching up with the other OR is it the result of the two buses leaving at the same time?

Now for the 145. Last week, I was waiting for this bus at Cornelscourt. This was in mid afternoon during the week by the way, at a time when it is supposed to be running every 10 minutes. I must have been waiting there for about 25 minutes at least contrary to the timetable which indicates that I would be waiting a maximum of 10 minutes. To those who are complaining about the new 145, I completely understand your respective dissappointments. This would also have me begging the question as to wether or not this particular bus travels in convoy as well?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Or perhaps, the world!

Its not that long,take the 16 for example it stops at the first stop on westmorland street and the next stop is at the top end of O'Connell.That must be a similar distance.

It would seem they cant win,some people moan that DB stops are to close together when they start to do something about it another group of people start giving out.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Could you clarify this? Are the protesters actually blocking the road and forcing the bus to divert? Is the protest legal and planned I wonder?

The impression I got from the write-up in the Southside People was that the route down Kill Avenue was blocked, and then people walked along side the bus through the Farm. They've done this twice and the second time they forced two busses down this route. Dunno what it was to prove other than to get a bus service for the 3 grannies from there that want to make 10am mass in Dun Laoghaire.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement