Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

Funny you should say this. From today's Indo:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/public-transport-users-face-fare-increase-2490130.html

Hardly surprising that people are moving away from Dublin Bus in their droves - less reliable services covering fewer areas, coupled with the company's traditional inability to accurately communicate information to their customers.
    If fares go up I "will definitely" use an alternative mode of transport to and from work. I'm not willing to give Dublin Bus money for what will be a deminished level of service on my commute after the network direct changes take effect in my area:mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

devnull wrote: »
    I am happy to say I am now a former Dublin Bus customer! ......

Upon calling Dublin Bus I was informed that there is no problem with capacity on this route, and the removal of bendy buses and replacement with double deckers will INCREASE capacity and efficiency and time keeping. The lack of them even being willing to listen to the views of the public, and our experiences has now led to four of us at work, car pooling rather than taking the bus. This means Dublin Bus will now will loose a few thousand euro in revenue from us not buying 30 day ramblers all year long.

They have destroyed what was one of the best routes in the city. It is now hideously overcrowded, completely unreliable, and completely undependable due to the ridiculously short running times. Dublin Bus, despite indicating they would review changes they made have basically told me they see it as a success. So they lose our business, and I'm sure others too. For those of you who still have to take the bus, the drop in revenues will probably lead to a rise in fares - a very vicious circle to be getting in if the underlying issues are not addressed.

As a Dublin Bus staff member reading Devnulls posts over the life of this thread I cannot say I blame him.
    EricPraline.....Hardly surprising that people are moving away from Dublin Bus in their droves - less reliable services covering fewer areas, coupled with the company's traditional inability to accurately communicate information to their customers.

Again and again we are seeing posts,here and elsewhere from customers who are simply mystified at the insistence of Senior Management that the Plan is Working.....

Without doubt,we in Dublin Bus should be enjoying a rersurgence of business during this period of depression.

Never has there been a better time than now to offer Public Transport as a viable,affordable and reliable alternative to private motoring.

Instead,as Eric Praline posts,the assembled experts in Irish Public Transport now want to ensure that the Bus Service collapses totally rather than emerge in a strengthened manner.

It really has descended into an Emperors New Clothes scenario with nobody willing or able to comment on the reality of whats happening as opposed to the PR version.

One thing is for sure,any Senior Management figure reading posts such as these......
    Markpb...If DB go ahead with the changes they're proposing for my area, I'll be cancelling my annual DB + Luas ticket and saying exactly why I'm doing it when I ask for my refund.
    BenShermin If fares go up I "will definitely" use an alternative mode of transport to and from work. I'm not willing to give Dublin Bus money for what will be a deminished level of service on my commute after the network direct changes take effect in my area

........should,at least,be giving some consideration to finding out WHY individual customers have been driven to this line of thinking..?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Basically Alex, my reasoning behind quitting DB is that I can see the service deteriorating in my area of Ballyfermot once the network direct changes come into play.

I can use the 76/a/b and 78a to and from work. Once ND comes in I can no longer use the 76/a/b since it won't be serving Ballyfermot and the frequency of the 78a (or new route 40) will be cut. All this means for me is longer wait times for buses and thus a longer commute. Also if new cross city routes like the Lucan and Blanch corridors are anything to go by I can see the route 40 becoming very unreliable indeed.

I firmly believe that the changes in Ballyfermot (even on the Ballyfermot to City Centre routes) will see a fall in passenger use. There is a big market for Ballyfermot to South Clondalkin/Tallaght services, all of this market of passengers will now be forced to use an unreliable route 40 to Neilstown to change buses to continue their journey. This is not a nice place to change buses, it's open to the elements and due to vandalism in the area I can't see AVLS systems working. I don't mean to badmouth the area but I wouldn't feel save changing buses there at night and nor would the majority of passengers. I've been subject to four seperate missile attacks while sitting on the 78a bus in this area over the past few years.

As for the city centre routes. Route 79a which bypasses a bottleneck in Inchicore will be cut lenghtening journey times by 5 to 20 minutes. Route 78 which bypasses Inchicore and Kilmainham will be cut forcing morning and evening commuters onto the slower route 40. The new 26 that has come into service was promising, but the routing from Islandbridge to Heuston Station just adds a needless 5 to 20 minutes onto journey times. The bus should have been routed via Parkgate Street.

I can see absolutely no good in Network they wrecked thus far and I'm dreading the changeover in my area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Xylophonic

Route 47 Timetable Change & Realignment

From Monday 24th January 2011 Route 47 will have a revised timetable. This revision is based on the customer demand for services and feedback on the reliability of the route.

Route 47 will continue to operate from Belarmine to City Centre (Pearse Street Garda Station) via Sandyford Industrial Estate, Stillorgan Shopping Centre, Old Dublin Road, Stillorgan Road (N11), Nutley Lane, Merrion Road and Mount Street to Pearse Street. Please note a number of daytime journeys will operate via Trees Road Lower, North Avenue and Fosters Avenue to and from the City Centre. For full timetable details click here.

This change will lead to improved journey times and reliability for the vast majority of customers on the route.
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/Route-47---Network-Direct/

It looks like a reduction in frequency too.

Xylophonic wrote: »

It really is a pity to see how much time and effort is being directed towards tinkering with secondary routes such as the 47 when the major elements of Network Direct such as the 4,39A,46A,145 still have major problems

The manner in which the customers of the original 46B sector were treated is most certainly abhorrent and most likely why this latest bit of diversion strategy is being tried on the 47.

One potential answer to the Mount Merrion "Problem" was/is staring us in the face.

A minor alteration and extension of the current 11A service would have renewed an all-day Mount Merrion-City Centre connection.

Routing the 11A along it`s current alignment to Roebuck Road,then left onto Fosters Avenue to North Avenue to then run along the old 46B route to terminate at the current 11 Kilmacud Terminus.

If necessary or viable this 11A routing could operate to Belarmine via the current 47.

This proposal could then leave the 47 free to operate a "normal" service as it`s currently doing,although I still feel it should be travelling via Mount Merrion Avenue QBC,rather than attempting to force it`s way along Nutley Lane.

The main problem I suspect,may be political,as the 11 route is due to be substantially Network Directed very soon,losing it`s cross-city status and with a substantial reduction in bus allocation.

The only information to hand is the plan to truncate the route,withdrawing the North-Side leg entirely and instead operating a route from Sandyford to the IFSC via a routing as yet undecided.

It will as current conditions dictate be linking one commercial desert with another and as such appears commercially suspect to my line of thinking.

This ND master-plan makes it....mmmm..."undesirable" to envisage or suggest any alternative which might actually increase business on the current 11 group as a whole....:o

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

AlekSmart wrote: »

The main problem I suspect,may be political,as the 11 route is due to be substantially Network Directed very soon,losing it`s cross-city status and with a substantial reduction in bus allocation.

The only information to hand is the plan to truncate the route,withdrawing the North-Side leg entirely and instead operating a route from Sandyford to the IFSC via a routing as yet undecided.

It will as current conditions dictate be linking one commercial desert with another and as such appears commercially suspect to my line of thinking.

This ND master-plan makes itmight actually increase business on the current 11 group as a whole.......mmmm..."undesirable" to envisage or suggest any alternative which .redface.gif

I've been hearing alot about these proposed changes to the 11, it being cut off from the northside and what not, but were is the source for such claims? I really want to know because I use this bus regularly. It brings me to college (DCU), to my gym (Friarsland) and to the library I use to study in when I have exams in Clonskeagh etc. In my opinion its one of the best bus routes currently in operation and one of the few cross city routes that actually works.

I used to get it in the morning from town to go to school and it was always packed, whenever I get it now it always has a decent load on it, its full enough when going towards Wadelai and heading the other direction, so if its a case of no-one using the service and not being profitable, well expletive that! Its a really important and in some cases only bus service for Clonskeagh, Ranelagh, parts of Milltown, Goatstown, Kilmacud etc, not to mention it goes along many highly populated and busy areas on the northside, in Drumcondra and DCU. Why the hell would you cut it? It follows its timetable pretty well, i've hardly ever had a problem with it...

Oh, on another note, the changes to the 39 and 39A and all... I use this bus regularly aswell, for the shopping centre and to get to Clonsilla. Why they changed from Hawkins Street I do not know. The 39A using the N3 bypass is a good idea though, and has sped up the service. But the 39 terminating in Baggot street and the 39A being routed through there has made the service worse, in terms of reliablity. Why don't they use Wilton Terrace as a terminus? And then take a left after Suffolk Street and go the old way to the Quays?
    confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifmad.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭med1

i have found a new bus operator to do my journey to ballymun from finglas with the removal of both the 220 ans 104 the iceland bus which is funnily enough an ex dublin bus imp runs daily from finglas village and apparently has seen more people catching it since word of network direct coming to finglas was announced the only catch is you must buy some shopping but it runs its clean and doesent require you to catch 3 buses to get to your destination by so called dublin bus,
    hopefully more private operators shopping centres will take over the routes that dublin bus think people dont want but actually do after all this is what both management in dublin bus and the unions seem to want not the staff or passengers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Alek Smart wrote: »
    A minor alteration and extension of the current 11A service would have renewed an all-day Mount Merrion-City Centre connection.

Routing the 11A along its current alignment to Roebuck Road,then left onto Fosters Avenue to North Avenue to then run along the old 46B route to terminate at the current 11 Kilmacud Terminus.
    I'm surprised that such a thing hasn't been done already, or at least done when the 11 took over the former 62's route. Mather Road North was a dead-end terminus even during the 1970s and 1980s. (FTR, the former 46B used to be known as the 64A, running alongside a route 64 that operated via Ballsbridge and Anglesea Road.) Don't know about a Belarmine extension, and frankly, I'm surprised that there is no bus on the route 44 series serving Belarmine; going through Dundrum is a more direct route into the city.

CIE wrote: »
    I'm surprised that such a thing hasn't been done already, or at least done when the 11 took over the former 62's route. Mather Road North was a dead-end terminus even during the 1970s and 1980s. (FTR, the former 46B used to be known as the 64A, running alongside a route 64 that operated via Ballsbridge and Anglesea Road.) Don't know about a Belarmine extension, and frankly, I'm surprised that there is no bus on the route 44 series serving Belarmine; going through Dundrum is a more direct route into the city.

Your surprised? This is Dublin Bus we're on about here, they hardly ever get anything right!

You're surprised? This is Dublin Bus we're on about here; they hardly ever get anything right!
    My surprise is related to the tendency (since the late 90s) to make bus routes longer. This was a perfect opportunity to lengthen the 11A. I suppose the common sense factor is what got in the way of its implementation.

(Any people who would like to have the 62 back in place of the 11? I'm sure that there have to be some out there.)

• Advertisement

CIE wrote: »
    My surprise is related to the tendency (since the late 90s) to make bus routes longer. This was a perfect opportunity to lengthen the 11A. I suppose the common sense factor is what got in the way of its implementation.

(Any people who would like to have the 62 back in place of the 11? I'm sure that there have to be some out there.)

Ah I see, thats probably linked in with the gorwth of the suburbs or what not. It was the perfect oppurtunity to lenghten the 11A which they probably should have done... But alas...

And by 62 in place of the 11 do you just mean the number or the route? Has it not always been the 11, at least from Bird Avenue to Glasnevin?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

While I'll be personally worse off, I think the amalgamation of the 51B and 51C is probably a good idea. How this works with the 13 though, I have no idea.

I think however, that an increased peak-time frequency on the 151 will be needed as the areas that the 51's used to cover and are covered by the 151 (Cherrywood and Dunawley) will see passengers moving to it. There'll be a few additions from the 68 too. The 151 can already be pretty busy in the morning :(

Also, I'm expecting to see loads of comments from confused people on facebook, so I made this map of the Clondalkin changes http://goo.gl/maps/gMzR (hope the link works :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

Xylophonic wrote: »

There is a vote on this next Monday and Tuesday.

Ah I see, that's probably linked in with the growth of the suburbs or what not. It was the perfect opportunity to lengthen the 11A which they probably should have done... But alas...

And by 62 in place of the 11 do you just mean the number or the route? Has it not always been the 11, at least from Bird Avenue to Glasnevin?
    The 11 ran to Bird Avenue, but the 62 used to run via Earlsfort Terrace and Ranelagh Road instead of Leeson Street/Appian Way/Chelmsford Road.

And back to the 11 being cut off from the north side (to be replaced with...?): What for and why? Makes no sense at all. You are in that case essentially restoring the old route 62, and wasting the public money spent on amalgamating it into the cross-city route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭SparkyTech

Why are DB reducing frequency on the 47? They only created this ''new improved'' route to the city center only a few months back?! The mind baffles...:confused:

As for the 11, I agree with the posters on here. Good, fast, reliable and a great way to get to DCU/North-side from Stephens Green. It works as a cross city route, and if the cart aint broke, don't try and fix it! How the residents of Clonskeagh/Stillorgan/Kilmacud will react to their new ''improved'' service is another matter altogether. I would be annoyed :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

The frequency reduction of the 47 looks to me like an admission by Dublin bus that there previous timetable for the route was unworkable. Instead of giving it more buses and drivers to make it work like promised, it is being cut back to what is feasible with what Dublin bus are willing to give it.

It's gone from a promised 15 minute peak / 30 minute off peak to 30 minute peak / hourly off peak in a matter of months.

I would not be surprised to see plenty more of this for other routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The new 47 timetable uses the same peak hour resources as the last timetable, but has now got realistic running times. The old public timetable was simply unachievable due to unrealistic running times (length of time to get from one end of the route to the other). Off peak it uses one less bus, which may be used for other routes such as the 46a and 145.

Where are extra buses/drivers going to come from? They are going to cost more and the reality is that DB has not got the money to do this. Anything but.

I've been hearing alot about these proposed changes to the 11, it being cut off from the northside and what not, but were is the source for such claims? .........etc etc.

The only reference to the Network Direct plans for the 11 route were in the overall Network Direct document circulated to the Trades Unions in early 2010.

This document outlined the ND plan in it`s entirety with specific detail on staff-establishment and fleet reductions as well as route alterations.

Since that initial circulation we have had the implimentation of Phase One essentially as outlined by the Company.

The success or otherwise of Phase 1 can be established by,among other things,be gleaned from the 2,000+ posts on this thread alone so I will refrain from any further comment in this post.

The single most important element of Fridays Well`s post (#2137) is this......

I really want to know because I use this bus regularly. It brings me to college (DCU), to my gym (Friarsland) and to the library I use to study in when I have exams in Clonskeagh etc. In my opinion its one of the best bus routes currently in operation and one of the few cross city routes that actually works.

Supported on the opposite side of the City by SparkyTech....
    As for the 11, I agree with the posters on here. Good, fast, reliable and a great way to get to DCU/North-side from Stephens Green. It works as a cross city route, and if the cart aint broke, don't try and fix it! How the residents of Clonskeagh/Stillorgan/Kilmacud will react to their new ''improved'' service is another matter altogether. I would be annoyed

Now,the question for anybody with an interest in the Route 11 situation is quite simple,are both these posters absolutely and totally mistaken in their views ?

If we take the original Network Direct plans for the 11 route,it appears that they are....:)

Oddly enough both posters independently underline the 11`s compliance with one of the Deloitte Reports basic requirements for a Dublin Bus Route...Good, fast, reliable and a great way to get to DCU/North-side from Stephens Green. It works as a cross city route,.......That description could almost have been taken verbatim from the Deloitte Reports executive summary.

However,to counter this we have a strongly held viewpoint amongst a section of senior DB management that the 11 Route is somehow incapable of development,improvement or expansion as it stands and instead is to be turned amazingly into a type of route which the same Deloitte Report finds somewhat ill-suited to Dublins Public Transport requirements.

As a stand alone Public Transport route with a history of c.100 years the 11 simply does not come any better in terms of offering a canvas to adorn as one wishes.

The major issues,in reliability terms,are long standing and revolve around morning and evening peak Southside journeys.

This side of the route,somewhat remarkably has NO Bus Priority measures whatever once the N11 QBC is departed from at Appian Way.

Thus the great gains which the route has secured from the North Side Bus Priorities (Bus Lane/QBC virtually all the way from Appian Way to DCU Ballymun Road) are lost on the unassisted Southern alignment.

Now,perhaps I`m slow here,so do bear with me,but is there some new business model here which sees the cessation of the fully-prioritized element of the route and the retention of the non-prioritzed element as the way-to-go :confused:

Some years ago I had a conversation with Mr John Henry, DTO Chief Executive,one of the elements we discussed was this lack of priority on the Southside leg of the route.

My point to him was that significant gains were possible for quite small infrastructure alterations at specific locations on the route...(Goatstown/Taney Road-Bird Avenue-Beaver Row)

We both agreed that these improvements were exactly what DTO policies were there to facilitate.

Today,some years on,the Southern element of the 11 route remains untouched and the same crying need remains unaddresed,whilst on the North Side the basic good sense of the QBC principle has been clearly proven to work.

The current (we think) plans call for a reduction of at least 5 buses from the allocation with the revised route to operate from "somewhere" in Sandyford to "somewhere" in the IFSC.

At this juncture that is all the information to be found and no further word has emerged to flesh-out the original proposals.

To address FridaysWell`s question as to alternatives under the ND plan.
    It appears that upon withdrawal of the 11 Route the intention (?) is to divert the (ND improved) 19A via Pappins Road and Glasnevin Park back onto Glasnevin Avenue.
    This is in both directions.

The remainder of the "Slack" is to be taken up by the already ND "Improved" route 4 and the soon-to-be ND "improved" 13,with the latter being re-aligned to provide the Drumcondra/Swords QBC link with DCU/Ballymun Road.

It can immediately be seen that the existing direct link between three of the largest Educational Establishments in the State (DCU-TCD-UCD) will be the first obvious casualty of the ND plan.

My own thoughts and hopes are that the original seemingly counter-productive proposals as circulated in 2010 were just rough thoughts or back-of-envelope scribbles rather than actual quantified proposals.

The basic premise should be to attract and retain NEW customers to the route,a process which the current ND proposals most assuredly does NOT attempt.

By far and away the more pro-active proposal for the 11 Route would be to enhance the basic service level,expand rather than contract,with specific focus on the South Side alignment.

The 11A re-routing/extension through Mount Merrion would be a good starting point as would be a strong attempt to get multi-agency action on the South-Side pinch-points.

If any of these principles conflict with the essence of the Deloitte Report then I`ll happily admit I`m wrong and consume my headgear....:o

In the current climate especially as the negative effects of Network Direct Phase 1 continue to be felt I believe it`s time to pause for reflection and perhaps a realization that destroying long-standing functioning elements of our Bus Infrastructure may not be the best way forward....Discuss ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Got a leaflet thru the door about public meetings on the proposed bus changes in the Clondalkin/Rathcoole areas organised by Cllr.Gino Kenny.A driver from Dublin Bus,Eugene McDonagh,will also be present

Tuesday Jan 18th,8pm:Bawnogue Community Centre
    Wednesday Jan 19th,7.30pm:Neilstown Community Centre
    Thursday Jan 20th,7.30pm:Greenpark/Sruleen Community Centre

Got a leaflet thru the door about public meetings on the proposed bus changes in the Clondalkin/Rathcoole areas organised by Cllr.Gino Kenny.A driver from Dublin Bus,Eugene McDonagh,will also be present

Tuesday Jan 18th,8pm:Bawnogue Community Centre
    Wednesday Jan 19th,7.30pm:Neilstown Community Centre
    Thursday Jan 20th,7.30pm:Greenpark/Sruleen Community Centre
    Is he going to illigally block the 68 and 69 from terminating at Red Cow after the ND changes like his party done in Dun Laoghaire:rolleyes:.

Sorry, but I can't stand those People Before Profit wasters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

They are the only political party in the area(that I've heard from anyway)who are making any noise about the proposed changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

BenShermin wrote: »
    Is he going to illigally block the 68 and 69 from terminating at Red Cow after the ND changes like his party done in Dun Laoghaire:rolleyes:.

Sorry, but I can't stand those People Before Profit wasters.

Bringing the right driver along if he is going to block buses!!!! ha ha. \Been away for a while, when did DB let him back????

http://www.socialistparty.net/workplace/39-general/398-sacked-by-dublin-bus-reinstate-eugene-mcdonagh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭SparkyTech

Has anyone heard of possible alterations to the 15b or 44? Nothing has been mentioned on the quiet about these routes (as yet!)

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

SparkyTech wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of possible alterations to the 15b or 44? Nothing has been mentioned on the quiet about these routes (as yet!)

Dont know about the 15b but the 44 changed not so long ago where the 44C was scrapped and the 44b reduced but cant recall any further changed planned for the ND. However with the luas offering a frequent alernative up to ballyogan i wouldnt be shocked to see the 44 cut as passenger number drop ala 48a.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

My point to him was that significant gains were possible for quite small infrastructure alterations at specific locations on the route...(Goatstown/Taney Road-Bird Avenue-Beaver Row)

In general, this type of labour intensive small scale moving of kerbs and the like is exactly the type of work that should proceed in the current environment when larger projects may have been cancelled.

There are many pinch points for both buses and general traffic that could be alleviated by widening the roads by a metre for a short distance.

ardmacha wrote: »
    In general, this type of labour intensive small scale moving of kerbs and the like is exactly the type of work that should proceed in the current environment when larger projects may have been cancelled.

There are many pinch points for both buses and general traffic that could be alleviated by widening the roads by a metre for a short distance.
    ...You mean how the roads used to be? A lot of streets and roads were deliberately narrowed (biggest example is O'Connell Street, but you also have Talbot Street) while other streets got widened (Cork Street plus its newer Coombe bypass, New Street South/Clanbrassil Street, Charlotte Way which replaced Charlotte Street). Could have uses some consistency, I think...?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well, a lot of places (like O'Connell St) needed more pavement space simply because there were so many pedestrians.

They are the only political party in the area(that I've heard from anyway)who are making any noise about the proposed changes.
    They were the only party in my area to make noise about the changes aswell. It's a pity they only gave people half the truth:rolleyes:.

Antoinolaochtnai Well, a lot of places (like O'Connell St) needed more pavement space simply because there were so many pedestrians.

Quite true,however O Connell St (thanks in no small part to the role played by Ivor Callely when junior Transport Minister) stands today as mute testimony to yet another half-done job.

Thanks to the remarkable level of support shown to the Taxi fraternity by Junior Minister Callely the City Council managed to superimpose the pre-existing Taxi Rank back into what is a singularly inappropriate location on the central median.

This act alone,represented a philistine like inability to comprehend what the entire O Connell St Integrated Area Plan was meant to achieve.

The result is a largely unnecessary Taxi Rank which now acts as a form of timed obstruction to Traffic Flow on the street.

The cretinous nature of this act can be even more underlined when one realizes that the Old Taxi rank had seats and a shelter where the new one has zippo...some good value for money reportage there methinks.

However this Rank remains but one of the issues which the "NEW-IMPROVED" O Connell St has to deal with.

The architects of the multi-million euro refurbishment of the street were apparently unaware that there was a pre-existing Bus Routing along it.

At least thats the charitable view I`m ascribing to them,as they completely forgot any of the oft-repeated oul hype about Disabled Access by failing to install a single metre of Kassel Kerbing at any of the Bus Stops along the Street...oh and I almost forgot...they did`nt bother reinstating the very desirable safety barriers at the major Stops either.....Safety...yea...My Ass...:mad:

The Street we now have is yet another mish-mash which does not know whats expected of it...a vast generally empty central median traversed by a busy and undesirably dangerous Pedestrian Crossing at the Spire with perimeter footpaths which are now TOO wide and serve little real purpose...Its a Street without a focus...unless you look up I suppose ??? :P

• Advertisement

In relation to the ongoing Network Direct implimentation programme it`s perhaps significant and worth noting that the Public Consultation phase time-limit has been Extended to Feb 11th for the Ballymun/Clondalkin/ and malahide Road corridors.

This might indicate a somewhat greater level of Customer Interest than during the earlier phases with perhaps a less compliant response than envisaged ?

For those who may be affected the relevant address is:

networkdirect@dublinbus.ie

or by telephone at the central contact number 8734222 and ask for the Network Direct Project Office.

With the already completed improvements now visible to all on the N1,Blanchardstown and Lucan Road corridors it is imperative that customers become involved to a far greater level than heretofore.

It may be worth re-reading some posts from thew Route 25A thread re contacting the relevant managerial personages:
    Riverston (post #412) Alek, I have to agree with you that the only thing for commuters to do is to contact Dublin Bus direct. On a personal level I did have a meeting with their strategic planning manager, a Derry O'Leary, who left me with a very unpleasant feeling after our discussions about moving a terminus. I am convinced that the only reason we were graced with his presence in Lucan was because of the constant phone calls and badgering I personally made. If I as a single individual can have this effect without even being a bus user, imagine what all you could do if you consistently and constantly were to make direct contact with

the Dublin Bus complaints line (01.8734222, option 3),
    Terry Fitzgerald the Conyingham Road manager (01.7032172 / 01.7032176) where the west Dublin fleet come from
    Gareth Quinn in Phibsboro, the district manager (01.7033284 / 01.7033462), who would be Mr. Fitzgeralds superior
    Derry O'Leary in O'Connell St (01.7033002) who is the strategic planner (love to be able to give his personal mobile, but thats a step too far on here I think)

And also....Councillor William Lavelle also of that parish.....
    Bcirl03 (Post 413)...I have been copied on a very large number of emails sent by Lucan commuters to Dublin Bus. Amazingly Dublin Bus management have told my colleague Senator Frances Fitzgerald that they are not getting significant complaints! It is therefore vitally important that we get as many local residents as possible to send strongly-worded personal emails to Dublin Bus management directly at the following addresses: ray.coyne@dublinbus.ie, networkdirect@dublinbus.ie

In support of his campaign, my colleague Frances Fitzgerald has now launched an online campaign at http://www.reversedublinbuschanges.com. *Please visit this site and sign the online petition. A Facebook campaign page has also been established. Please ‘like’.

Dublin Bus had promised a ‘review’ after 6 weeks and on foot of a recent emergency motion proposed by me at the Lucan area committee, Dublin Bus have confirmed to me that this review will take place but have given no details yet. I will circulate details when available.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas,

Councillor William Lavelle

Either way the only option now available is to make strong and repeated contact to both the Company itself and one`s local representatives.....The option of complaining after-the-event no longer exists.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement