Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭kthnxbai

oh ok cool thanks...

mind me asking where you found this out? or if it's on the website at all? It'd be nice to know what's going on =/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Network-Direct/Network-Direct-Phase-2/Howth-Road/

Howth/Malahide/Portmarnock up now, nothing too drastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

Looks like a further hacking of services off the 31 route.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

They propose a "frequency" of 30 minutes in peak times for the 31 bus and once an hour for the 31a. Once an hour is almost no service at all for a city route. This has to be a dis-improvement of the already very bad service on these routes.
    For these living between Sutton and Raheny on the Howth Road, the phasing of the 32 and 31 would be important. Hitherto they have managed to make both the 31 and 32 arrive at about the same time when going towards the City Centre. If these routes had been properly phased there might have been a half-decent service on the Howth Road. Now with their plan to reduce frequency the service will be worse.
    The new 29 service promises a 10 minute frequency ( much as the 29a before) but now the service will be stretched all the way back to Baldoyle so it will be fuller by the time it arrives at the Raheny to City Centre part of the Howth Road. Then it takes its stomach-churning detour through St Annes estate adding another five to ten minutes to the journey into town. No improvement at all there either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Stevek101 wrote: »
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Network-Direct/Network-Direct-Phase-2/Howth-Road/

Howth/Malahide/Portmarnock up now, nothing too drastic
    Let's see if it's not too drastic. No more city centre service for Strand Road in Baldoyle...? as well as no bus service at all on Station Road in Sutton?

The route 29 revision does make sense; it should have happened ages ago. Having just one route 42 also makes sense instead of having a double-branched route with no alpha suffix, although I would have preferred a continued operation of 42 to the Coast Road (looks like the Robbs Walls bus loop will be decommissioned in that case) with 42A going to Portmarnock via Seabury and Seamount. (Does this mean the end of the 142?)

I always thought that the 31A should have been extended beyond its old terminus at least to the summit back during Strand Road (Sutton) days, even with the 88 (replacement bus for Hill of Howth tram; don't you wish the tram had remained) still operating. Then again, I'm also an advocate of permanent bus service between Dollymount/Clontarf and Howth (after all, that's the way everyone drives to Howth that I knew of, never via Raheny)...and does anyone remember the occasional route 31 trips "via Baldoyle"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

So it now seems to decrease the journey times on the 38/38a route drivers are just not stopping at bus stops anymore.

Stood at the snugborough road stop this morning at 8:00 with around 12-15 other passengers the 38A comes round the corner, everybody stands up and gos to the kerb...what does the driver do? completely ignores the fact that people want to get on and sails straight past. The bus was half empty and there was nobody standing downstairs.

So a big thank you to dublin bus and in particular the driver of the 38A this morning that finally made my mind up to get a refund for my Yearly ticket. Im going back to the car as i dont want to continue to wait on late buses or deal with bus drivers with a chip on both shoulders or speak to dublin bus managers/inspectors that out and out lie to your face about your own experience with their company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

Jaysoose wrote: »
    completely ignores the fact that people want to get on and sails straight past.

Did anyone put out their hand? If so, was it only done at the last second?

Bazzer2 wrote: »
    Did anyone put out their hand? If so, was it only done at the last second?

Didnt see as i was behind all the people stood up waiting on the bus. Am i to believe that bus drivers will not stop unless somebody sticks the hand out? maybe the group of people that all stood up when he was coming towards the stop might have tipped him off. Also the fact that this 8:00 38A is traditionally very busy and always picks up a large number of passengers. Did he think that everybody wanted to get the 38 and spend the next hour sitting in traffic trying to get through castleknock.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Heart

Didnt see as i was behind all the people stood up waiting on the bus. Am i to believe that bus drivers will not stop unless somebody sticks the hand out? maybe the group of people that all stood up when he was coming towards the stop might have tipped him off. Also the fact that this 8:00 38A is traditionally very busy and always picks up a large number of passengers. Did he think that everybody wanted to get the 38 and spend the next hour sitting in traffic trying to get through castleknock.

If nobody requests the bus to stop, and it doesn't then it seem a bit unfair to come on a rant about the driver and the service. Drivers reply on passengers to signal that they want the bus to stop, for all he knows they could be waiting on another DB bus, a private operator service, a lift etc...

And according to this:
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/How-to-use-the-bus/Step-1/
    ... it is something that is asked of passengers...
    "Please put your hand out to tell the driver that you want him to stop so that you can get on the bus."

Even if I'm at the first stop on the route I signal the driver to stop, better safe than sorry...

H

I've seen people specifically wait for a 38 from Corduff to the City, and happily sit in traffic in Blanchardstown and Castleknock, even though the 38A will leave 20 minutes later and still beat the 38 into town.

On the other point, bus drivers are not mind-readers. It is a condition of travel that intending passengers must hail the bus in good time, otherwise the bus will not stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 adcom

In the current climate especially as the negative effects of Network Direct Phase 1 continue to be felt I believe it`s time to pause for reflection and perhaps a realization that destroying long-standing functioning elements of our Bus Infrastructure may not be the best way forward....Discuss ? ;)[/QUOTE]

Ok, I have been living on Homefarm road for 4 years and for 3 of those used to get the 11 to leeson street every morning. The service in the morning was excellent- you could literally set you watch by it. I knew that if i got the bus at 7.49am i would be at the green at 8.22-25. perfect.

I would well believe that the southside of the route was the problem- the evenings were much less predictable with 2-3 buses often arriving together (which was not good) going northside.

On the other hand the 11 is a good clean bus on which i have never seen anyone smoking (hello 13A) or any obnixous kids playing their mp3 payers on speaker (hello 19a). It does serve many important sites and is a really important link between the two sides of the city.

I really dont see the point of getting rid of the part of the route that works. That has me confused- even with the explination given.

If it goes, it goes but i really think its time for dublin bus to start incentivising cash less fairs. It really doesnt make any finincial sense for me to go buy daily tickets. I may only get the bus once in a day (i now mostly walk as i need to be in town at 7am) so there is no point me spending €20 on a 5 day rambler!

A prepaid tag on tag off system (with a 20% discount on fares for using that system) would be ideal. that in CONJUNCTION with the rambler tickets would suit a lot more people. DB have to get real and start thinking about how people use the bus system and what is more convienient for them.

cheers

I've seen people specifically wait for a 38 from Corduff to the City, and happily sit in traffic in Blanchardstown and Castleknock, even though the 38A will leave 20 minutes later and still beat the 38 into town.

On the other point, bus drivers are not mind-readers. It is a condition of travel that intending passengers must hail the bus in good time, otherwise the bus will not stop.

Bus drivers are indeed not mind readers but you dont have to be a mind reader to apply common sense to a situation. The driver having a chip on their shoulder about wether somebody has stuck the hand out when its plainly obvious people want the bus to stop is no excuse. But then passengers are way down the pecking order when it comes to priorities for dublin bus as can be seen by the steady deterioration of the service and the impending fare increases.

People are voting with their feet.

Heart wrote: »
    If nobody requests the bus to stop, and it doesn't then it seem a bit unfair to come on a rant about the driver and the service. Drivers reply on passengers to signal that they want the bus to stop, for all he knows they could be waiting on another DB bus, a private operator service, a lift etc...

And according to this:
    ... it is something that is asked of passengers...
    "Please put your hand out to tell the driver that you want him to stop so that you can get on the bus."

Even if I'm at the first stop on the route I signal the driver to stop, better safe than sorry...

H

If the crowd of people were staring into space or just milling around then the driver would be dead right to ignore and keep going.

15 people all standing up and moving to the kerb forming a queue as the bus approached might have been an indication they were waiting on the bus. But its obviously the customers fault for not follwoing dublin bus protocol not the driver who felt justified in leaving commuters standing at a bus stop.

well played dublin bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Polar101

15 people all standing up and moving to the kerb forming a queue as the bus approached might have been an indication they were waiting on the bus

Well, maybe next time one of them will think it's a good idea to stop the bus. It's not a lot to ask to put a hand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

Maybe they don't trust that the following bus will run? It's not like the bus service in West Dublin has a reliable and trustworthy history.[/QUOTE]
    But its obviously the customers fault for not follwoing dublin bus protocol not the driver who felt justified in leaving commuters standing at a bus stop.
    well played dublin bus.

Seriously? Well played?

Yes they should have put their hands out but most drives will stop out of courtesy. Drivers regularly stop for me when I'm standing back from the stop with my hand down, just in case I'd like to board their bus. For one person, maybe it's a waste of time. For a busy bus stop, it's just lacking in common courtesy.

markpb wrote: »
    Maybe they don't trust that the following bus will run? It's not like the bus service in West Dublin has a reliable and trustworthy history.

Seriously? Well played?

Yes they should have put their hands out but most drives will stop out of courtesy. Drivers regularly stop for me when I'm standing back from the stop with my hand down, just in case I'd like to board their bus. For one person, maybe it's a waste of time. For a busy bus stop, it's just lacking in common courtesy.[/QUOTE]

Sarcasm :)

Thats the point im making it couldnt have been more obvious that everybody was waiting to get on the bus yet the driver decided for some reason only known to himself to not stop.

Sarcasm :) Thats the point im making it couldnt have been more obvious that everybody was waiting to get on the bus yet the driver decided for some reason only known to himself to not stop.

My bad, sorry. My sarcasm detector is broken today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

This is an extract from a letter sent by Ray Coyne of Dublin Bus in response to the enquiries of Róisín Shortall, TD, whose constituency includes Wadelai.
    I refer to our recent conversations and meetings regarding the Dublin Bus proposals for adjustments to route 11/a/b. As outlined previously I have reviewed the initial data which led to the decision to amalgamate route 11/a/b with route 19a. As per our most recent conversation I had the services surveyed on Tuesday 18th January 2011 to ensure that the initial data was robust and that the current travel demands are similar to 2010 demands. The survey confirmed this.

I, as usual, was on the southbound 08:15 bus that morning and saw the Dublin Bus surveyor board the bus at the DCU stop to count the passengers. It was much quieter than usual, probably because of the miserable weather that January always brings and that DCU students were out-of-term at the time. As I've previously posted, this bus is normally full, including standing, before it crosses the Tolka river. That particular morning, demand was so low that the seats were not even filled all the way to the Liffey and beyond. The point is that the day could not have been better chosen to be less representative of the normal loading pattern for this route. If decisions on route changes are being based on non-representative data like the above then what possible chance is there of their leading to a better service?

Another paragraph also leaves me confused:
    When assessing the unique movements of customers in this area which cannot be made on a single journey as a result of the proposals the average customers per bus drops to three. Based on the Dublin Bus proposals the revised route 19a will satisfy the majority of customers.
    Do any of the regular experts like Mark or Alek know how to interpret this?

I've recently ponied up over a thousand euro for the annual ticket (including Luas). Compared with what I will be getting for this by the date of its expiry compared to what I got for the first one a few years back (for a lower price in a higher cost-of-living time, remember), will be reduced to the point where it's not worth renewing. Previously there were on the 11/a/b, if I remember correctly, 15 departures in the two hours either side of 09:00, now it's 9, soon to be who-knows-how-many unpredictably timed and loaded 19a fly-bys. The 19 and 83 were both available, now I must decide to wait on one or other route and the frequency is down and due to be halved again if the 83 is killed off as is rumoured. Add to that the mention of the night bus disappearing and it makes for a sorry tale of deterioration.

Still no RTPI at any of these stops and no clarity on what quality of data will be available for computer/mobile platforms nor any commitment on when it will be available.

Finally, another extract from that letter from Mr. Coyne:
    Our proposals will be made public prior to 28.01.11 and will likely contain the amalgamated 19a & 11/a/b service. All representations will continue to be assessed and no final decision will be made until after the public consultation period takes place.

That date has come and gone - the letter is dated 21Jan, just one week earlier - and still nothing on the DB web site. Maybe they've given up the ghost and reconsidered this position :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

Route 19 & 123 are now apparently the routes that stop at the 122 Terminus/123 stop on the Drimnagh Road... Although it shows timetales for 122 & 123..

Seriously how hard is it to proof read bus stop information?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Backboiler :This is an extract from a letter sent by Ray Coyne of Dublin Bus in response to the enquiries of Róisín Shortall, TD, whose constituency includes Wadelai.

Quote:

I refer to our recent conversations and meetings regarding the Dublin Bus proposals for adjustments to route 11/a/b. As outlined previously I have reviewed the initial data which led to the decision to amalgamate route 11/a/b with route 19a. As per our most recent conversation I had the services surveyed on Tuesday 18th January 2011 to ensure that the initial data was robust and that the current travel demands are similar to 2010 demands. The survey confirmed this

I, as usual, was on the southbound 08:15 bus that morning and saw the Dublin Bus surveyor board the bus at the DCU stop to count the passengers. It was much quieter than usual, probably because of the miserable weather that January always brings and that DCU students were out-of-term at the time.

Another paragraph also leaves me confused:
    Quote:

When assessing the unique movements of customers in this area which cannot be made on a single journey as a result of the proposals the average customers per bus drops to three. Based on the Dublin Bus proposals the revised route 19a will satisfy the majority of customers.

Do any of the regular experts like Mark or Alek know how to interpret this?

I've recently ponied up over a thousand euro for the annual ticket (including Luas). Compared with what I will be getting for this by the date of its expiry compared to what I got for the first one a few years back (for a lower price in a higher cost-of-living time, remember), will be reduced to the point where it's not worth renewing.

Finally, another extract from that letter from Mr. Coyne:

Quote:
    Our proposals will be made public prior to 28.01.11 and will likely contain the amalgamated 19a & 11/a/b service. All representations will continue to be assessed and no final decision will be made until after the public consultation period takes place.

That date has come and gone - the letter is dated 21Jan, just one week earlier - and still nothing on the DB web site. Maybe they've given up the ghost and reconsidered this position

Backboiler is not alone in being somewhat less than enlightened by Mr Coyne`s response to Roisin Shortall`s enquiries.

The issue of the "Survey" can most easily be dealt with,as it is blindingly apparent that surveying a University route whilst Lectures are not taking place will produce only data of restricted usefullness.

I am assuming that the Network Direct Team were unfamiliar with DCU`s academic timetable and will therefore have a more representative and accurate survey carried out,if only to preserve the integrity of the Network Direct programme as a whole.

As for the business of the "Unique movements" of the Wadelai Park commuters,i`m afraid your guess is as good as mine.
    The entire paragraph appears to have been constructed in a most thoroughly Jesuitical manner with meanings to suit every reader.
    However one can take heart in the final sentence that,"the revised route 19a will satisfy the majority of customers".

It also needs to be noted that this letter contains the first reference to an amalgamation of the 11 and 19a routes.

This does represent new information as,to date,the only information available from the company referred to the realignment of the 11 on a routing from Sandyford to The IFSC.

The newly revealed "amalgamation" of the 11 and 19a now raises yet more questions as to what the eventual outcome will be for customers of what are two highly divergent routes.

However,by far and away the most important aspect of Backboiler`s post is that here we have yet another high-grade Annual Ticket Customer who is considering their position as a direct result of Network Direct`s implimentation.

This form of customer reaction has now been posted by several disparate posters which is something Mr Coyne and his team need to consider before they continue in their present mode.

If this form of Customer Reaction continues on to its logical conclusion it will surely result in Mr Coyne presiding over a non-existent route Network,never mind a direct one !

Dublin Bus has,with the route 11,a perfectly viable route group which more than conforms to the requirements of the Deloitte Report.

It is a route grouping which,of course,is capable of achieving greater efficiencies,but only if it recieves a degree of interested improvement which would allow it to capitalize on it`s unique and lucrative alignment.

Perhaps the saddest aspect is that the Network Direct team don`t really appear to have a grasp of the route`s workings at all :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Dublin Bus has,with the route 11,a perfectly viable route group which more than conforms to the requirements of the Deloitte Report.

It is a route grouping which,of course,is capable of achieving greater efficiencies,but only if it recieves a degree of interested improvement which would allow it to capitalize on it`s unique and lucrative alignment.

I can think of one 11 option in need of a rethink!
    The first 11B from Belfield usually sits at it's terminus from 0720 until it's departure at 0800! I know getting the bus down from D'Brook might be tricky as the morning traffic gets worse very quickly but surely this is too much layover time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Heres a wonderful snapshot of how effective the info given by DB is during this review... Stop on crumlin rd. with info for Lucan ND changes...!

Heres a wonderful snapshot of how effective the info given by DB is during this review... Stop on crumlin rd. with info for Lucan ND changes...!

That's because the Lucan ND changes involved a slight re-route of the 151, which serves Crumlin Road.

That's because the Lucan ND changes involved a slight re-route of the 151, which serves Crumlin Road.

So..removing ALL the timetable information for 50 56/A 77/A 150 & 151 for a slight reroute of the 151 is acceptable?

Sorry but thats one major own goal there.

So..removing ALL the timetable information for 50 56/A 77/A 150 & 151 for a slight reroute of the 151 is acceptable?

Sorry but thats one major own goal there.

I don't think so. They're advertising other services and areas which Crumlin Road users can connect into.

It'll be the turn of other Crumlin Road routes for the ND treatment soon enough. Then you'll see Crumlin Road adverts appearing on the northside!

I don't think so. They're advertising other services and areas which Crumlin Road users can connect into.

It'll be the turn of other Crumlin Road routes for the ND treatment soon enough. Then you'll see Crumlin Road adverts appearing on the northside!

But this was heading INTO the City , I can accept maybe showing a diagram heading outbound as long as there is information on the other routes serving the area given that only 1 route was having a minor diversion. The vast majority of users in Crumlin Road don't want to know what changes have happened with ALL the routes on the Lucan Corridor, they can find those out at the relevant stops, I'm sure they'd prefer to have information to the services relevant to the area of which (at certain stops) there is now none!

I just think that every aspect of ND is a disaster from information sharing through to implementation. The way they are going about it they may have been better off redesigning the whole network en masse as opposed to the piece-meal ham-fisted approach they have used to date.

ND poster on stop on Waterloo Road includes sample fares for route 46a, and route 18 is ommitted from the spider map.. more failings

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

stop wrote: »
    ND poster on stop on Waterloo Road includes sample fares for route 46a, and route 18 is ommitted from the spider map.. more failings

Very true and that Waterloo Road scenario could be used as a template for some of the very worst Customer Information programmes undertaken by any commercial entity.....anywhere.

Yet,if one pauses for reflection,Dublin Bus is in possession of some of the very best systems of Mass Information one could wish for.

It`s vehicles and structures are sitting there adorned with all manner of twittery advertising,much of it simply self-puffery of the most basic kind.

The vehicles all have programmable Destination Equipment which could be utilised for "Flash" messaging of Key Information elements ......."FARE INCREASE FROM SUNDAY 6th" springs to mind.....

The lady constantly advising customers of the risk (Minimal) of a €3,000 fine for smoking could just as easily be advising of upcoming ND changes or shouting out contact numbers or e-mail addresses.

Then there is the availability of probably the most valuable PR resource available to a Public Transport company,it`s public facing Staff.

Drivers,Inspectors and Controllers should be enabled to act as conduits of customer information but instead find themselves as ill-informed as those customers on-the-ground.

For example,a driver voluntarily transferring to another garage is deemed ineligible for route-training and is expected to satisfy him/her self with their new route on their own time,or make an individual case for familiarization to the new Depot`s management.

It can be appreciated therefore that a set of routes such as the Blanchardstown or Lucan Road corridors present would demand quite an amount of unpaid research from a new arrival,especially when one ventures into the "estates".

This type of attitude can only lead to irregular situations at the worst possible moment if a new driver to a particular route is presented with a diversion or similar disruption.

As it currently stands the Network Direct programme has been rammed through the City`s Bus System like a great big set of Sewer Rods.

Whilst this may well have cleared some blockages it has been carried out in such a blunt and poorly considered manner that it has alienated a significant swathe of Staff and Customers alike.

There is an amount of ongoing internal discussion and questioning amongst Local Managements and Staff,but much of it falls back on speculation and various rumours (as can be seen in the End-Of-Nitelink thread).

If one positive element can come from Network Direct it is a recognition of the pressing need to totally re-organize both Internal and External Communication with a focus on using it as a tool to facilitate change rather than to thwart it. :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Network-Direct/Network-Direct-Phase-2/Merrion-Road/

Merrion Road up now.

Only three area's left; Tallaght/Templeogue, Swords and Glasnevin.

• Advertisement

Stevek101 wrote: »
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Network-Direct/Network-Direct-Phase-2/Merrion-Road/

Merrion Road up now.

Only three area's left; Tallaght/Templeogue, Swords and Glasnevin.

Route 3 will be removed from the Swords road and will terminate at Mountjoy Square. I'm taking bets that DB will
    a) Not mention this at the any bus stops on the Swords road or Collins Avenue
    b) Not mention it on the website in any way that might let people on the Swords road think to look at it (good start hiding it in the Merrion Road changes page)
    c) Not put new timetables up until 2-4 weeks after the change

Anyone want to bet against me?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement