Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Route 2 and 3 will be amalgamated and will operate from UCD Belfield via Sandymount and Ringsend to Mountjoy Square

No mentioned of its northside routing, so the removal of it from the Swords road is already stated..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Re: the comment above about DCU students being out of term. Where I live there are regular term-time changes to transit routes according to when students come and go. Is this true of DB or do they operate a year round schedule irrespective?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

only a small few left so... me thinks tallaght will have many cuts on there.

i note clondalkin came up twice there. phase one - consultation and so on

phase 2 - clondalkin completed.

it says implementations will begin early 2011 - when is this ?

also will everything happen on the one day or different sections each day for route changes ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭ciaran_h

What are the plans for 122 / 123 and services down crumlin road does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

ciaran_h wrote: »
    What are the plans for 122 / 123 and services down crumlin road does anyone know?

123 already received its new Network Direct timetable and upgrade to full double decker service.

122 is detailed in the Cabra part of ND.
    # Route 120, 121 and 122 will be amalgamated and operate as route 120 and 122
    # Route 120 will continue to operate to Parnell Street with some morning peak trips extended to Ballsbridge
    # Route 122 will continue to serve Ashington and the Navan Road

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Network-Direct/Network-Direct-Phase-2/Cabra/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Stevek101 wrote: »
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Network-Direct/Network-Direct-Phase-2/Merrion-Road/

Merrion Road up now.

Only three area's left; Tallaght/Templeogue, Swords and Glasnevin.

With respect Steve there are not quite just three:

There's South Circular Road/Crumlin/Greenhills and the Rathfarnham/Ballinteer/Ranelagh/Dundrum areas too.

I would rephrase "Swords" to "Swords Road".

The users in those areas have still to be consulted on the changes.

markpb wrote: »
    Route 3 will be removed from the Swords road and will terminate at Mountjoy Square. I'm taking bets that DB will
    a) Not mention this at the any bus stops on the Swords road or Collins Avenue
    b) Not mention it on the website in any way that might let people on the Swords road think to look at it (good start hiding it in the Merrion Road changes page)
    c) Not put new timetables up until 2-4 weeks after the change

Anyone want to bet against me?

To be fair Mark DB appeared to have learnt one lesson (from what I could see) with regard to the on-street information with the Lucan Road changes - there was a significant improvement in that I certainly noticed that the most of the stops in the city centre were updated on the morning of the change (I can't comment beyond Heuston Station as that's as far as I went), something that clearly was not done on the Stillorgan or Blanchardstown phases.

As for hiding it, the whole Swords Road corridor will have to have a consultation phase of its own with there being so many proposed changes (3, 11, 13/a, 14/20b, 16/a, 27b that we know about so far) so I think you're being slightly disengenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

lxflyer wrote: »
    To be fair Mark DB appeared to have learnt their lesson with regard to the on-street information with the Lucan Road changes - there was a significant improvement in that I certainly noticed that the most of the stops in the city centre were updated on the morning of the change (I can't comment beyond Heuston Station as that's as far as I went), something that clearly was not done on the Stillorgan or Blanchardstown phases.

As for hiding it, the whole Swords Road corridor will have to have a consultation phase of its own with there being so many proposed changes (3, 11, 13/a, 14/20b, 16/a, 27b that we know about so far) so I think you're being slightly disengenuous.

Does the 14/20b and 27b consultation period as part of the malahide road changes not end next Friday and 13/a as per ballymun consultation this Friday.

thomasj wrote: »
    Does the 14/20b and 27b consultation period as part of the malahide road changes not end this Friday?

Well presumably as the 14/20b will now serve Shanard Road (replacing the 16) and the 27b will no longer serve Swords Road north of Oscar Traynor Road there'll have to be some consultation for those users - to be fair about this other than the 4 in the first phase all the changes have gone out to consultation. The whole Swords Road QBC has a huge number of changes.

It does appear to me that there has been a change in terms of it looks like all the changes are going to consultation for each area before any more implementation - a common sense move, whether or not one agrees with the proposals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Stevek101 wrote: »

From the above page:
    Route 111 will operate from Dun Laoghaire to Cherrywood Business Park providing increased connections for customers to high frequency route 145 on the N11 and Luas
    The team seem to be running out of steam. Little imagination shown here in redesigning routes, its just bare faced cost cutting at this stage. I mean, the 111 and 145 interchange is presented as a highlight of this phase. Really? That's all you've got? Are 111 passengers expeceted to jump off the flyover onto the roof of a 145 passing below? Mind you, if stopping 400m short of the Luas stop is an interchange, I suppose asking passengers to negotiate a semi-free-flow grade seperated dual carriageway junction to change buses with similar distance between stops is considered integrated transport too. Of course, with the 111 and 84 routes that actually provide these interchange opportunities running on hourly schedules anyway, nobody will bother availing of the service, so it all sorts itself out. Job done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

as for hiding it, the whole Swords Road corridor will have to have a consultation phase of its own

I was referring specifically to route 3. Noone living on the north-side of that route will think to look at changes billed as affecting Merrion road because they won't think it will affect them.

And forgive me for being cynical if a bus company had to learn from its mistakes before knowing timetables need to be printed before a change instead of a month later.

markpb wrote: »
    I was referring specifically to route 3. Noone living on the north-side of that route will think to look at changes billed as affecting Merrion road because they won't think it will affect them.

And forgive me for being cynical if a bus company had to learn from its mistakes before knowing timetables need to be printed before a change instead of a month later.

I think you're missing my point - that the removal of the northern element of route 3 will presumably form part of the Swords Road consultations also.

As I said above it does seem as all the consultations are now being carried out before the next round of implementations. Hence my comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

I think you're missing my point - that the removal of the northern element of route 3 will presumably form part of the Swords Road consultations also.

As I said above it does seem as all the consultations are now being carried out before the next round of implementations. Hence my comment.

If that happens (and I hope it does), I'll be delighted but based on their work to date, I wouldn't count on it. The 4 was decimated without any mention of a change (it was briefly touched on in the Stillorgan changes page).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

xper wrote: »
    From the above page:

[/COLOR]The team seem to be running out of steam. Little imagination shown here in redesigning routes, its just bare faced cost cutting at this stage. I mean, the 111 and 145 interchange is presented as a highlight of this phase. Really? That's all you've got? Are 111 passengers expeceted to jump off the flyover onto the roof of a 145 passing below? Mind you, if stopping 400m short of the Luas stop is an interchange, I suppose asking passengers to negotiate a semi-free-flow grade seperated dual carriageway junction to change buses with similar distance between stops is considered integrated transport too. Of course, with the 111 and 84 routes that actually provide these interchange opportunities running on hourly schedules anyway, nobody will bother availing of the service, so it all sorts itself out. Job done.

Indeed xper,but please do remember the entire Network Direct programme to date has been heavily influenced by Statistics,and lots of them,which the select members of the ND team have thrown on the table as the main reasons for the changes.

It`s fair to say that in the Individual Depot`s the changes as revealed have recieved a less than fullsome accolade,with even some Local Management figures seen to roll their eyes heavenward.

Where staff representations have been taken on board there has been some improvement,as in the 46A which is belatedly settling down to a functional level of operation.

Why it needed some 4 months of turmoil before these representations were taken on board is the real question.

The 111 routing is an interesting one as it appears,yet again to follow the principle of ignoring some juicy potential.

There has and remains a suggested routing for the 111 which was advanced by local supervisory staff.

Operate the 111 along it`s current route to Wyattville Road,then along the N11 to Loughlinstown Hospital (incredibly enough,NO existing direct Public Transport link from DunLaoire/Sallynoggin) then via Luas Cherrywood-Cabinteely-Cornelscourt-Carrickmines Cross to terminate at Carrickmines Retail Park.

New alignment,new points of linkage and an opportunity to develop a functional route.

However the suggestion,although first floated some 2 years ago,appears to have been scrunched up in a ball and flung in the bin.

Markpb`s concerns re the route 3 are equally valid as they appear to consign the route to a limbo of sorts.

Why not return to having a long-hard-look at Drumcondra Train Station as a potential Terminus for Routes such as the 3 and 7 .

It would of course require a degree of co-operation between agencies (:eek:) as currently the area at the side of the Station Embankment,St Anns Road is given over to Pay and Display Car Parking.

Far too often we are seeing major elements of infrastructure,such as Loughlinstown Hospital,Cherrywood Luas or Drumcondra Station simply ignored because nobody wants to offend the Car driver or the "Business" fraterinity.

The largest failing of Network Direct as a project is the failure to involve all of the Capitals statutory agencies...leaving it all to Dublin Bus just will not work. :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Route 111 will connect Dun Laoghaire and Sallynoggin with Cherrywood Business Park & Luas

it only runs 4 or 5 times a day in each direction currently, the timing now suggests once a hour in future, basically replacing the 7 to Cherrywood and little other change. so infrequent its pretty much pointless.
    Route 7/a will be amalgamated and called route 7 and will be extended to Mountjoy Square
    So all of the area from the Rochestown Lodge to Macintosh loses it's only connection to town? Or the odd 7 will go that way adding confusion?
    Route 7b will take advantage of the bus priority on the Monkstown Llink Road with a peak time service to and from the City
    So taking it off the N11 corridor for quite a distance and dumping it right into very heavy traffic at the end of the ring road in Deansgrance? Or will it continue up to the TK roundabout and up to Bakers?
    Route 7 will operate from Loughlinstown Park and all trips will operate to Mountjoy Square. This will provide improved cross city connections. Journey times will continue to benefit from the priority on the Merrion Road QBC and with Bus Gate in the City Centre

Slightly increased frequency, which is good but its a pity they've all been pulled out of Cherrywood. The link from Cherrywood, the Bus park and the Luas have now been further restricted.

The Cherrywood thing amazes me, earlier ND proclaimed it as a new "hub" The 7, 84 and 111 could and should all be terminating within the estate right up at the station. There is the road space to put a proper bus terminus in there and actually LINK services rather than leaving large gaps than customers have to walk, wasting their time.

it only runs 4 or 5 times a day in each direction currently, the timing now suggests once a hour in future, basically replacing the 7 to Cherrywood and little other change. so infrequent its pretty much pointless.

Slightly increased frequency, which is good but its a pity they've all been pulled out of Cherrywood. The link from Cherrywood, the Bus park and the Luas have now been further restricted.

The Cherrywood thing amazes me, earlier ND proclaimed it as a new "hub" The 7, 84 and 111 could and should all be terminating within the estate right up at the station. There is the road space to put a proper bus terminus in there and actually LINK services rather than leaving large gaps than customers have to walk, wasting their time.

Very good example of what appears to be highly disjointed thinking indeed.

I can see why the Network Direct "team" are thinking in this manner though,largely because they are a single focused team with absolutely no points-of-reference other than Dublin Bus`s need to square a 200 vehicle fleet reduction with no negative impact on it`s existing customers.

I would term that an impossibility,but perhaps thats me simply being negative ?

Cherrywood Luas is an absolute gift to any forward thinking Public Transport Planner,or rather it would be anywhere else in civilization.

Right now,with development in the area on-hold,is the exact time the Public Transport providers should be putting their efforts into getting their stuff in place...sadly this latest set of "idea`s" is just more of the same......:mad:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Indeed xper,but please do remember the entire Network Direct programme to date has been heavily influenced by Statistics, and lots of them, which the select members of the ND team have thrown on the table as the main reasons for the changes.

It's fair to say that in the Individual Depots the changes as revealed have received a less than fulsome accolade, with even some Local Management figures seen to roll their eyes heavenward
    Statistics are actually not the problem; it's their interpretation that has been truly bizarre.
    Where staff representations have been taken on board there has been some improvement, as in the 46A which is belatedly settling down to a functional level of operation.

Why it needed some 4 months of turmoil before these representations were taken on board is the real question
    I still see that as problematic. The 46A was extended northwards in the past, to the airport. That extension was eventually cut and re-numbered as the 746. Now even that route is gone, along with the routes that ran parallel to it (the 46X and 58X). I'm still convinced that the 10 should come back as it was, and the extensions of the 39A and 46A done away with. (Was it the former 10A that gave them the bad idea of amalgamating the 10's northern leg into the 46A?)

Now mind you, I used to think that the 10 should have taken over the 46A sometimes...but that was with the idea to get rid of that hanging alpha suffix. And speaking of removing alpha suffixes, why is it that the 7B is really the old route 46 but slightly altered (running via Leeson Street instead of Ballsbridge and Kill Lane instead of Johnstown Road) and has nothing to do with route 7?
    The 111 routing is an interesting one as it appears, yet again to follow the principle of ignoring some juicy potential.

There has and remains a suggested routing for the 111 which was advanced by local supervisory staff.

Operate the 111 along its current route to Wyattville Road, then along the N11 to Loughlinstown Hospital (incredibly enough, NO existing direct Public Transport link from DunLaoire/Sallynoggin) then via Luas Cherrywood-Cabinteely-Cornelscourt-Carrickmines Cross to terminate at Carrickmines Retail Park.

New alignment, new points of linkage and an opportunity to develop a functional route.

However the suggestion, although first floated some 2 years ago, appears to have been scrunched up in a ball and flung in the bin.
    The 111 as first introduced was confusing to me, since it completely duplicated the 7 up until diverting off George Street to terminate at Mallin Station. Having been brought in alongside the old route 58 made things even more confusing, because it duplicated that route as well.

You're absolutely right about them losing opportunities by re-working the route, which has degraded severely over the years (when it started, it had a frequency of 10-15 minutes Monday-Saturday and 20 minutes on Sunday)...but remember, this is the same bus company that cut off places like Foxrock and Carrickmines from city centre service too and is intending to cut off Newcastle (County Dublin, sorry, County South Dublin; they already cut off Newcastle County Wicklow from the city centre) and Rathcoole. Anyone remember that they had to extend the 47 to the city centre in repsonse to passenger demand for that service?
    Markpb's concerns re the route 3 are equally valid as they appear to consign the route to a limbo of sorts.

Why not return to having a long-hard-look at Drumcondra Train Station as a potential Terminus for Routes such as the 3 and 7.

It would of course require a degree of co-operation between agencies (:eek:) as currently the area at the side of the Station Embankment, St Anne's Road is given over to Pay and Display Car Parking.

Far too often we are seeing major elements of infrastructure, such as Loughlinstown Hospital, Cherrywood Luas or Drumcondra Station simply ignored because nobody wants to offend the Car driver or the "Business" fraterinity.

The largest failing of Network Direct as a project is the failure to involve all of the Capitals statutory agencies...leaving it all to Dublin Bus just will not work. :(
    I really don't understand what the purpose is of cancelling the 3. So Larkhill will be permanently without a bus service now? never mind the people in Drumcondra and Whitehall that rely on the service? Wasn't too many years ago that they got rid of the 2, after they decided that the extension to Wilfield Park wasn't working; then they brought back the 2 as a duplicate of the 3 (or so I thought) running from the city centre.

With all due respect, I don't see Drumcondra train station working as a bus turn-around. Aside from NIMBY concerns (e.g. St Anne's Road as you mentioned, the rather narrow streets of St Joseph's Avenue and Lower St Alphonsus' Road if that's the turn you were envisioning), having such outer stations as bus termini haven't drummed up the business for either buses or trains like one would think.

Mind you, I'm still wondering what happened to Croke Park as a bus terminus? Now there are no buses serving that area since the end of the 51A, never mind the 23 (which actually terminated there, on Jones' Road underneath the railway bridge, where there isn't a Croke Park railway station either).

There are other concerns too. With the 5 slated to go, will the 17 be the only bus on Mount Merrion Avenue? Also looks like Lower Trees Road in Mount Merrion, which had a continuous bus service for many decades, will be cut off cold.

And oh yes: what happened to the 141?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

The lady constantly advising customers of the risk (Minimal) of a €3,000 fine for smoking could just as easily be advising of upcoming ND changes or shouting out contact numbers or e-mail addresses.

As a matter of interest where is this controlled from. Do the drivers press a button to play the message. it seems to come on at random times. I was on a 39a yesterday and it came on 3 times ,, one after the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Could the 111 and the 8 be amalgamated?

Given that the 111 is pretty much a stub of the 7 at the moment, a re-alignment and combination could work. The file attached should give y'all a better idea (provided that you have Google Earth).:D

Re the 7a:
    So all of the area from the Rochestown Lodge to Macintosh loses it's only connection to town? Or the odd 7 will go that way adding confusion?

I would imagine that yes the 59 will be the remaining service for those areas.

But to be fair look at the times the 7a operates - it's completely off-peak with no peak flows. Surely the people can use the far more frequent 59 to Rochestown Avenue and change to a 7, and the buses used more productively elsewhere?

Re the 7b:
    So taking it off the N11 corridor for quite a distance and dumping it right into very heavy traffic at the end of the ring road in Deansgrance? Or will it continue up to the TK roundabout and up to Bakers?

I would read the route that the 7b would take would be as from Shankill as at present to Bakers Corner, then straight along Abbey Road, left at the TK Roundabout, and straight across Dean's Grange Road onto the Monkstown Ring Road continuing onto Stillorgan Park and then onto the N11.

That would to me be more sensible than the current routing as it means less duplication with the 46a, and giving a service to an area that only has the 46e at present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

As a matter of interest where is this controlled from. Do the drivers press a button to play the message. it seems to come on at random times. I was on a 39a yesterday and it came on 3 times ,, one after the other.

As far as I can tell as a passenger, it plays randomly and frequently any time the PA system is turned on. As a result, the drivers usually don't turn the PA system on.

Posted by Ste.phen : As far as I can tell as a passenger, it plays randomly and frequently any time the PA system is turned on. As a result, the drivers usually don't turn the PA system on.

So Consise and accurate an answer it may as well have come from the manual !!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

Is it not connected to the smoke detector...whenever someone lights up the message is played?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Heart

pclive wrote: »
    Is it not connected to the smoke detector...whenever someone lights up the message is played?

No, any detector is connected to the Fire Suppression System. The 'No Smoking' announcement is, as correctly stated, wired to the PA system on a 30 minute loop from turning on of the PA system.

H

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

That would to me be more sensible than the current routing as it means less duplication with the 46a, and giving a service to an area that only has the 46e at present.

you frequently can't get onto it as its full leaving town when duplicating the 46a only to empty by Foxrock, adding a whole other catchment area to it will reduce the use to Killiney-Shankill users even further as it'll be busier IMO.

It should be a minimum fare bus to cut out all the short hoppers who won't wait another 2 mins for a 46a

It should be a minimum fare bus to cut out all the short hoppers who won't wait another 2 mins for a 46a

An interesting point there Cookie_M.

The entire concept of Minimum Fare is widely misunderstood to mean paying the lowest possible fare when in fact its the exact opposite.

Sadly,Dublin Bus has allowed the simpler yet desirable elements of managing a Bus service to fall into disuse,and the MF is one of these.

Drivers have become unwilling or unable to enforce it as they feel that any resultant complaint from a disgruntled customers will immediately count against them.

There is also now an almost universal internal ignorance of the relevant Stages covered by a sliding minimum fare scale,such as was on the "old" 45,63 0r 84 routes.

This sort of internal collapse was always going to be a consequence of removing the Fare Stage markings from our stops,but sadly appears to be regarded as collateral damage.

Sometimes it`s the lowest-tech solution which works best ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Or just have no disembarkment stops from town to Foxrock Church, and in reverse no pick-ups on the way into town.

Aard wrote: »
    Or just have no disembarkment stops from town to Foxrock Church, and in reverse no pick-ups on the way into town.

As I said above...sometimes the simplest solutions just WORK!

However if I or any other driver were to suggest such a fiendish thing we might be suspended and investigated for not being "nice" to everybody.

It is essentially turning it into a sortofa kindofa Expresso route,which as the 84X demonsrates,is not something we in DB really grasp....:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Say, does that new road that connects from Drummartin Road in Goatstown to Kilgobbin Road in Sandyford have a name...? because I don't see one on the map. If anyone remembers the old route 62, this looks like the right artery to re-start that old route number on, perhaps running through to Kilternan via Ballyogan and Glenamuck (especially since the 63 was strangely re-routed to Dun Laoghaire); it'd be a more direct way to get from Ballyogan to the city centre than on the 44 and would allow the 44 to run between the city centre and Enniskerry without having to divert via Ballyogan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Drummartin Link Road, AFAIK.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement