Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

vbold wrote: »
    I Missed the meeting during the week. would really like to have attended.

Make a submission by telephone, letter or electronic means. Do it now, today, not tomorrow. You'll forget if you put it off. They're accepting submissions until the 2nd of April. networkdirect@dublinbus.ie, 01-8734222 08:30-18:00 Mon-Sat, or Dublin Bus Network Direct, 59, Upper O'Connell St., Dublin 1.
    vbold wrote: »
    ...reaches the south side much easier than any other route in the area.
    it's probably my misunderstanding but would the proposed changes mean that there is no longer a bus from Glasnevin North which passes through Drumcondra meaning that to get to either upper Drumcondra, the Airport or the Drumcondra train station that you would now need to go into town first and via Phibsboro which takes infinitely longer?

Your direct question has been answered but there's another part. Even after you walk to Ballymun Rd and get your new 13 bus, it still won't bring you any distance into the southside as you may currently expect from the 11. It'll go west via Dame St. to Clondalkin instead of towards Merrion Square. You'll need to transfer to another bus if you want to do that and, of course, this means paying for a second bus ticket. Each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

The 27b timetable online has changed to say 79 Revised Times but still had the old route and times. Very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

I was out last night in town, few drinks after the Ireland match. I thought that the information that DB provided could've been better. I know they have made the info available on the website about the Nitelink changes, but it would've been helpful if they had put a few more inspectors, posters at bus stops or something at the locations.

The situation was made a bit harder with the clocks going forward on the first weekend of operation. I was looking for the buses going towards Tallaght but there was none on College green. I went to a driver stopped on O'Connell Bridge for help (after trying to enquire with a few others, who rudely brushed me aside) and he said he wasn't sure, which is fair enough.

There were gangs of people still waiting at the bus stops on College green between half 3 and 4 yesterday morning. How were they supposed to know of the changes in the service. I ended up getting a taxi home after 4 o clock.

I'm not sure if they had information provided on the Friday night, but I just thought that it was pretty poor of Dublin Bus not helping the customers like most other companies would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Are there not signs on the old College Green stops explaining where the new stops are?

All the new stops have timetables too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

there was info in newspapers last week too about the changes.

I can't vouch for this year, but I know last year when the clocks went forward, DB ran a full service anyway, ie, at the time the last 29n left at 4 and so they ran until 5 that night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 adcom

My main concern is that for a very signifant stretch of ballymun/glasnevin there is no bus that will ge going to Stephens Green. I can get a bus in Drumcondra but it is the same story on this there. Network direct means that Drumcondra residents have lost/will loose the only two bus routes which would take them to St stephens green (746 and 11).

I feel that it is short sighted. DB states that the route is loss making- well i can see how that happens with its bad scheduling service. While the 11 is very reliable in the morning in the evening it is not great so obviously people dont get it then.

I sent the below to DB. I really hope that the pay some attention to the people who commented.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I wish to comment on the route changes proposed for the above areas.

I am a resident in Drumcondra off Griffith Avenue between Drumcondra and Mobi road. I work on Leeson street and regularly use the bus to journey in and out of work.

I have previously contacted your office when I heard about proposals to scrap the 11 bus route and received the response below. This response stated that an alteration to routes 13/a and 19a would cover all areas operated by route 11 at present. I considered that perhaps the 13a route would be extended to travel to donnybrook instead of terminating in Merrion square would have made a lot of sense. So i was surprised and disappointed when i saw the actual proposed changed on the Dublin bus website today.

The dismantling the number 11 bus route appears to be a step backwards in development of a top notch public transport system. This is the only bus route which serves the 3 Dublin Universities as well as St Patricks college Drumcondra, the Institute of Education, the Mater Hospital, the Rotunda Hospital, walking distance to St. Vincents hospital as well as Sandyford Industrial estate. As you are aware for most of its North Side route it has a quality bus corridor which significantly speeds up time. As a user of this service I have noticed “bunching” of buses-i.e. two arriving together (11/11a/11b)- however this is more down to poor timetabling than other constraints.

This route is also much used by school going children travelling to St. Stephens green who will now have to get two buses instead which during the winter months and with our recent adverse weather conditions during winter seems short-sighted.

With the proposed changes there will no longer be any bus service running through Drumcondra or Mobi road which serves St. Stephens green. For two such highly residential areas this is short sighted to the extreme. It is my understanding that The Dublin transportation office intends to have a central hub in St. Stephens green for many of its rail projects. Would it not make sense to maintain a link to St. Stephens green for these areas?

I trust that these objections will be noted. I look forward to your response addressing each of the points made and the justification for your changes.

Regards

I know it seems like i am being a complete mefeiner (and i kind of am!) But I do see this service being used by students a lot (all levels). If the childrens hospital goes ahead at the mater site it is a route which will be very handy for ranelagh etc residents. And lets not forget Croke Park and the dart station. grrrr, i just this DB are being so shortsighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭qerty

Tallaght/crumlin/SCR changes available!

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Network-Direct/Network-Direct-Phase-2/Tallaght-Walkinstown-Crumlin-Road-South-Circular-Road-Pearse-Street-and-Sandymount/

Some mistakes in the map but they usually fix those in a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I got a letter to say that the 38/38A will have additional resources from April 10 - still no resource to numerous emails to DB, this was through my TD@s intervention.

I also pointed out that you cannot search for o'connell street on the website and was told that I was correct - you couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

qerty wrote: »
    Tallaght/crumlin/SCR changes available!

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Network-Direct/Network-Direct-Phase-2/Tallaght-Walkinstown-Crumlin-Road-South-Circular-Road-Pearse-Street-and-Sandymount/

Some mistakes in the map but they usually fix those in a day or two.
    56 now terminating at Childrens Hospital?? This is where DB have been trying to move terminii away from as the parked buses block the qbc, and the stop layout there is ridiculous!

Magical mystery tour to get to Citywest via 77a, no doubt 77a will return to Square terminus once the Saggart luas is opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

stop wrote: »
    56 now terminating at Childrens Hospital?? This is where DB have been trying to move terminii away from as the parked buses block the qbc, and the stop layout there is ridiculous!

There are many stops around the hospital where buses can lay over. It will probably terminate at the stops on Errigal Gardens, then loop back onto Drimnagh Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

amtc wrote: »
    I got a letter to say that the 38/38A will have additional resources from April 10 - still no resource to numerous emails to DB, this was through my TD@s intervention.

I also pointed out that you cannot search for o'connell street on the website and was told that I was correct - you couldn't.

Interesting!

Lenihan has also stated that the extension of the 37 to the shopping centre will be within the next couple of weeks! That will probably be April 10 too!

I wonder impact this if any will have on the 39/a? We'll soon see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

amtc wrote: »

I hope they do, this service has disintegrated completely since the start of the year...some mornings people are standing waiting for a 38a for 40-50 minutes..this is taking into consideration that the service is alledgedly running every 20 minutes at peak hours which it clearly is not.

It seems that the blanch area has been hit particularly hard by these "improvements" implemented by network direct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭SparkyTech

Removing the 75 from the Nutgrove to Balinteer to Dundrum alingment and replacing it with a bus that runs ever 60 mins off peak? Bannanas :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

adcom wrote: »
    My main concern is that for a very signifant stretch of ballymun/glasnevin there is no bus that will ge going to Stephens Green. I can get a bus in Drumcondra but it is the same story on this there. Network direct means that Drumcondra residents have lost/will loose the only two bus routes which would take them to St stephens green (746 and 11).

I feel that it is short sighted. DB states that the route is loss making- well i can see how that happens with its bad scheduling service. While the 11 is very reliable in the morning in the evening it is not great so obviously people dont get it then.

I sent the below to DB. I really hope that the pay some attention to the people who commented.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am a resident in Drumcondra off Griffith Avenue between Drumcondra and Mobi road. I work on Leeson street and regularly use the bus to journey in and out of work.

I have previously contacted your office when I heard about proposals to scrap the 11 bus route and received the response below. This response stated that an alteration to routes 13/a and 19a would cover all areas operated by route 11 at present. I considered that perhaps the 13a route would be extended to travel to donnybrook instead of terminating in Merrion square would have made a lot of sense. So i was surprised and disappointed when i saw the actual proposed changed on the Dublin bus website today.

The dismantling the number 11 bus route appears to be a step backwards in development of a top notch public transport system. This is the only bus route which serves the 3 Dublin Universities as well as St Patricks college Drumcondra, the Institute of Education, the Mater Hospital, the Rotunda Hospital, walking distance to St. Vincents hospital as well as Sandyford Industrial estate. As you are aware for most of its North Side route it has a quality bus corridor which significantly speeds up time. As a user of this service I have noticed “bunching” of buses-i.e. two arriving together (11/11a/11b)- however this is more down to poor timetabling than other constraints.

This route is also much used by school going children travelling to St. Stephens green who will now have to get two buses instead which during the winter months and with our recent adverse weather conditions during winter seems short-sighted.

With the proposed changes there will no longer be any bus service running through Drumcondra or Mobi road which serves St. Stephens green. For two such highly residential areas this is short sighted to the extreme. It is my understanding that The Dublin transportation office intends to have a central hub in St. Stephens green for many of its rail projects. Would it not make sense to maintain a link to St. Stephens green for these areas?

I trust that these objections will be noted. I look forward to your response addressing each of the points made and the justification for your changes.

Regards

I know it seems like i am being a complete mefeiner (and i kind of am!) But I do see this service being used by students a lot (all levels). If the childrens hospital goes ahead at the mater site it is a route which will be very handy for ranelagh etc residents. And lets not forget Croke Park and the dart station. grrrr, i just this DB are being so shortsighted!

Well written adcom,and your points are valid to the extreme.

I would agree that up until 2008 the Northbound leg of the 11 route shared the common problem of no Bus Priority at the Granby Row-Lower Dorset St section,a location where 3`s 11`s 16`s and any other Dorset St routes were regularly delayed by up to 45 minutes EVERY evening.

Regular users would have been familiar with last minute diversions via St Mary`s Place (Black Church) and Blessington St in frantic attempts to avoid the logjam.

The implementation of the Granby Row Central Bus Lane and it`s seamless integration into the Swords QBC represents probably the most productive bit of Road Marking ever carried out for Public Transport in Dublin.

This transformed the 11`s reliability overnight and led to far more effective and usable service for all users.

This remains in stark contrast to the proposed new Southside routing which is largely bereft of such Priorities where they are required and as a result the Southside has a notably worse passenger loading factor beyond Clonskeagh.

The "alternatives" which 11 customers are being directed towards,are in fact nothing of the sort,if a customer is one of the many who travel from Glasnevin North,Drumcondra,Dorset St to or via St Stephens Green,Leeson St,Ranelagh and Clonskeagh.

The above routing remains busy on an all-day basis,and more importantly has the capability for improvement,particularly if the lack of integration of the 11a/11b timetable with the core 11 is addressed.

My contention is that approaching the 11 route from a "One Route" perspective is capable of improving the service enough for it to attract the new customer which Dublin Bus,and Public Transport itself so badly needs.

One thing is absolutely certain in my mind,and that is the complete lack of commercial sensibility in severing a fully-prioritized unique routing in order to truncate it into yet another half-measured fudge.

I am aware that Deputy Roisin Shortall,in particular is continuing to display a keen interest in Dublin Bus`s "Plans",such as they are,and has arranged a meeting on the issue with Minister Leo Varadakar.

I would suggest that customers such as adcom and any interested parties could perhaps e-mail either of these representatives at their offices

leo.varadakar@oireachtas.ie

Tel 6183819

roisin.shortall@oireachtas.ie

Tel 6183593

The recent change of Administration appears to have given the Network Direct Team a new set of legs,as we now hear that the Glasnevin/Drumcondra changes are being prioritized to occur asap.
    This makes the sending of any such representations a priority should you wish them to be taken into account.

The close-off for Dublin Bus receipt of Comments is the 2nd of April,so get typing or calling to 8734222

networkdirect@dublinbus.ie

The Bus...use it or Lose it ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

SparkyTech wrote: »
    Removing the 75 from the Nutgrove to Balinteer to Dundrum alingment and replacing it with a bus that runs ever 60 mins off peak? Bannanas :mad:

I dunno - I'd far prefer a more direct route to/from Tallaght along the Green Route than going on the longer current route that has endless ramps!

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

KD345 wrote: »
    There are many stops around the hospital where buses can lay over. It will probably terminate at the stops on Errigal Gardens, then loop back onto Drimnagh Road.

Errigal Gardens has not been used by buses officially for some time, it's far too narrow.

The current stop layout leaves an extremely large distance between the 77 et al stop and the previous stop at the halfway house. It is also too close to the next stop. Crumbling road services were moved there after ringsend drivers claimed it was unsafe to pull out around parked 121 & 122 buses after pulling in at the original stop!

adcom wrote: »

Dear Sir/Madam,

Regards

Well written adcom,and your points are valid to the extreme.

I would agree that up until 2008 the Northbound leg of the 11 route shared the common problem of no Bus Priority at the Granby Row-Lower Dorset St section,a location where 3`s 11`s 16`s and any other Dorset St routes were regularly delayed by up to 45 minutes EVERY evening.

Regular users would have been familiar with last minute diversions via St Mary`s Place (Black Church) and Blessington St in frantic attempts to avoid the logjam.

The implementation of the Granby Row Central Bus Lane and it`s seamless integration into the Swords QBC represents probably the most productive bit of Road Marking ever carried out for Public Transport in Dublin.

This transformed the 11`s reliability overnight and led to far more effective and usable service for all users.

This remains in stark contrast to the proposed new Southside routing which is largely bereft of such Priorities where they are required and as a result the Southside has a notably worse passenger loading factor beyond Clonskeagh.

The "alternatives" which 11 customers are being directed towards,are in fact nothing of the sort,if a customer is one of the many who travel from Glasnevin North,Drumcondra,Dorset St to or via St Stephens Green,Leeson St,Ranelagh and Clonskeagh.

The above routing remains busy on an all-day basis,and more importantly has the capability for improvement,particularly if the lack of integration of the 11a/11b timetable with the core 11 is addressed.

My contention is that approaching the 11 route from a "One Route" perspective is capable of improving the service enough for it to attract the new customer which Dublin Bus,and Public Transport itself so badly needs.

One thing is absolutely certain in my mind,and that is the complete lack of commercial sensibility in severing a fully-prioritized unique routing in order to truncate it into yet another half-measured fudge.

I am aware that Deputy Roisin Shortall,in particular is continuing to display a keen interest in Dublin Bus`s "Plans",such as they are,and has arranged a meeting on the issue with Minister Leo Varadakar.

I would suggest that customers such as adcom and any interested parties could perhaps e-mail either of these representatives at their offices

Tel 6183819

Tel 6183593

The recent change of Administration appears to have given the Network Direct Team a new set of legs,as we now hear that the Glasnevin/Drumcondra changes are being prioritized to occur asap.
    This makes the sending of any such representations a priority should you wish them to be taken into account.

The close-off for Dublin Bus receipt of Comments is the 2nd of April,so get typing or calling to 8734222

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭SparkyTech

lxflyer wrote: »
    I dunno - I'd far prefer a more direct route to/from Tallaght along the Green Route than going on the longer current route that has endless ramps!

Lol true, but from the map they arn't replacing the 75 with anything from Nutgrove to Broadford? The 175 wont be running down my way. With the removal of the 48a and the 16a ill only have the 14 left to connect with anything :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

As a potential user of the 11 from later this year (travelling from the southside to DCU) it is disappointing to hear that the service may be withdrawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭SteM

stop wrote: »
    Magical mystery tour to get to Citywest via 77a, no doubt 77a will return to Square terminus once the Saggart luas is opened.

This looks to be the same route that it currently takes but instead of stopping at the Square it will carry on to Citywest. It does go all over the place around Old Bawn etc but I'm not sure if the people there have any any other bus service?

Why would they revert to the Square terminus once the Luas has opened? They serve different routes from Citywest imo. 77a through Old Bawn Road, Tymon Park, Greenhills Road & Walkinstown which is well off the Luas route.

• Advertisement

Lol true, but from the map they arn't replacing the 75 with anything from Nutgrove to Broadford? The 175 wont be running down my way. With the removal of the 48a and the 16a ill only have the 14 left to connect with anything :rolleyes:

It would appear not.

Is it far to walk to either Nutgrove for the 75 or indeed Grange Road for the 16 or 175?

It's a tough call, but I'd imagine that the revised routings would actually suit more people than less.

As a potential user of the 11 from later this year (travelling from the southside to DCU) it is disappointing to hear that the service may be withdrawn.

Sadly F*eak s*enery (How do you do that ?) you represent yet another Customer classification the Network Direct Team`s efforts are impacting upon...the POTENTIAL customer.

What the NDT appear to have little understanding of is the fluid nature of many of the locations served by the current 11 route....Schools,Universities,Hospitals....even at a pinch Prisons...all of which have an ever changing user group which ebbs and flows in it`s requirement for Public Transport.

I would suggest that FS ( :) ) gets on the keyboard too with their concerns particularly in advance of April 2nd. (I suspect they just could`nt go with the 1st :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭qerty

Does anybody know when the Finglas changes will be implemented.
    The website says April but that's pretty vague. Start or end of the month?

The website says April but that's deliberately vague. Start or end of the month?

FYP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36 adcom

AlekSmart wrote: »

Tel 6183819

Tel 6183593

Just Did AlekSmart Thanks. Also dont really see the sense of sending the 13 up Dame street (another bottle neck) up to James and along- an area i believe is already very well serviced by a Luas!

Although, will give people from clondalkin better access to DCU etc. DB say that This will provide a much improved cross city connection from both Ballymun and Clondalkin but do they stop to think about where they are linking up to where? As in, was it a random oh ballymun needs more cross city..... so does clondalkin.... perfect! job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I would be one of the people affected by that, though not to the same extent as those that live furthest south in Ballinteer. I guess their reasoning is that with RTPI, it's a lot more likely that your bus will arrive on time. Off-peak is a generally realiable time anyway. Also, there's the 14 loop down to Ballinteer, which I guess will be beefed up a bit. The new 175 looks pretty nice too: it runs on a lot of relatively new road (Monkstown Bypass, Wyckham Bypass, Grange Road, Scholarstown Road). I imagine that it'll be a faster route to DL or Tallaght.

This is the new route, as far as I can make out:

153168.png

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭kthnxbai

The website says April but that's pretty vague. Start or end of the month?

Welp, my guess is that they're gonna do the Finglas West/South at the same time as the Finglas East ones... considering the overlap with the 220...

And the consultation phase for Finglas East is open until 2nd April... So I'm sure there'll be a bit of work to be done on DB's end after the consultation period. So say that takes a week. Then release the timetables... Have them available for a week before the changes actually go ahead...
    So you're probably looking at the last 2 weeks in April sometime... I'd guess the last week tbh but who knows... I honestly can't see it being in the first half of the month though.. I would be very impressed if that was the case...

Aard wrote: »
    I would be one of the people affected by that, though not to the same extent as those that live furthest south in Ballinteer. I guess their reasoning is that with RTPI, it's a lot more likely that your bus will arrive on time. Off-peak is a generally realiable time anyway. Also, there's the 14 loop down to Ballinteer, which I guess will be beefed up a bit. The new 175 looks pretty nice too: it runs on a lot of relatively new road (Monkstown Bypass, Wyckham Bypass, Grange Road, Scholarstown Road). I imagine that it'll be a faster route to DL or Tallaght.

Good map!

Although I suspect that one or other route will continue to use the Upper Kilmacud Road past Lakelands? Maybe not?

I'd agree about the 175 - much straighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭A2000

No mention of 201 or 202 or 76/a/b and Tallaght is not to be advised that the 76's will no longer serve Ballyfermot.

• Advertisement

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/Tallaght-Roadshow/

Tallaght Roadshow

Monday, March 28, 2011

Phase 2 of the Network Direct Project involves changes to services in Tallaght, Walkinstown, Crumlin Road, South Circular Road, Pearse Street and Sandymount and we would like to invite customers in those areas to meet us to discuss these proposed changes on the following dates:
    • Monday April 4th- Donore Youth and Community Centre 5pm-8pm
    • Tuesday April 5th- Good Counsel GAA Club, Dublin 12 5pm-8pm
    • Wednesday April 6th- Killinarden Community Centre 10am-12pm
    • Friday April 8th- The Square Tallaght 2pm-8pm
    • Wednesday April 13th- Fettercairn Community Centre 10am-1pm
    We will have staff on hand to answer any of your questions and to explain in full detail the benefits the redesigned service will have for your area.

For further details please click here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement