Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

what's your solution so?

firstly you point out in a subsequent posts it's only 13.5c a day increase, this though is one of several other increases in the last 3 years, what to they all add up to? This at a time when the CPI and general costs are falling, wages have fallen sharply for many, they should be cutting all prepaid fares by a minimum of 10% or better yet 20% against current cash fares and advertising that fact far and wide to draw people back to the buses.

To do that they need to cut costs and that includes staff costs, reduce the excessive OOS running that you see every day, support routes that people actually want to use like the 4 and 145 instead of wrecking them. Demand the Dept of SW do something about the ridiculous situation with free travel passes. There are plenty of other things that should be done like using dual doors properly to reduce dwell times and fuel costs, running artics again etc that can no longer done due to the stupid policies that have been followed over recent years.

I would also actually listen to what came in the Deloitte report and implement that rather than the twisting of it that's occured to no-ones benefit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

[...] 2 or more prices hikes each year is never justified.
    I completely agree. In some countries there is a designated "price hike" day, generally January 1st. People know that prices are going to go up 2-3%, but they also know that there will be no more increases throughout the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

I notice on the DB site that this has been announced for Wednesday 4th of May at Ballinteer St. John's GAA Club from 2pm to 8pm. Be there or be Flukey (only messin'! ;))
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/Kilmacud--Goatstown--Ballinteer--Dundrum/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Look if this was a 100% private company, and they put the prices for their tickets, I wouldn't complain. Thats economics, thats business. But because it is a public (or partly public) company operating PSOs, an essential public service, of course I'm gonna be pissed off. They keep putting their prices up. I don't care if the NTA, RSA, FBI etc try and justify it, 2 or more prices hikes each year is never justified.

Have we not learnt anything from the whole mess of the banks?? i.e things cannot keep on going up, in this case costs cannot and are not going up. Petrol fluctuates, sure, but surely the government can intervene for Dublin bus and cut some tax off it for them...

€4 is not much to be honest, but I'm a stingy student and I dont have the luxury of a part time job and I dont want to ask my parents for 1c more. So **** you Dublin Bus, you've ripped me off way too long with a crappy service, and eventually your going to lose me as a customer.

The govt can put all the tax etc on cars, it is a far superior mode of transport in this city and it will save me so much more time, which is money to me.
    More's the pity, because once a larger multitude decides to turn their backs on DB in a similar fashion, the larger the ranks of automobiles will swell, and there isn't room to build the necessary roads capacity in the city, never mind the cash. (Even crisscrossing the city with tunnels on the order and magnitude of the Port Tunnel wouldn't be enough.)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

backboiler wrote: »
    I notice on the DB site that this has been announced for Wednesday 4th of May at Ballinteer St. John's GAA Club from 2pm to 8pm. Be there or be Flukey (only messin'! ;))
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/Kilmacud--Goatstown--Ballinteer--Dundrum/

You would think they would do the 16 at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭A2000

Advert in todays herald regarding changes to Ringsend services in network direct. Cant find it on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Halve_ZOL

Just aquick question.

I got a brand new 30 day bus and luas ticket. Validated fine this morning on the 39a, however the validator did not print the dates on the ticket.....
    Next time the Luas guys check the tickets will not like this, does anyone know if I can write the dates on the ticket myself?

Thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

A2000 wrote: »
    Advert in todays herald regarding changes to Ringsend services in network direct. Cant find it on the website.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/Tallaght-Roadshow/

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Rabbitt

Any dates for the expected changes to Tallaght routes?
    Anyone know if Dublin Bus has chamged anything based on the roadshows in Tallaght?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭qerty

Now that the 11's current route is being maintained, I wonder which route will be rerouted to now serve Heuston, seeing as that was an original suggestion for the 11?

Maybe the 15a or 15b???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

qerty wrote: »
    Now that the 11's current route is being maintained, I wonder which route will be rerouted to now serve Heuston, seeing as that was an original suggestion for the 11?

Maybe the 15a or 15b???

Not quite qerty,the original ND "suggestion" for the 11 was the somewhat bizzarre one of Sandyford to Docklands Railway Station.

Somewhat late in proceedings,the total absence of commercial sense in this,along with the unforeseen strength of negative Customer Reaction from existing 11 route customers led to a kind of lacuna in the idea's process.

It was at this point that a "suggestion" of diverting the 11 in the opposite direction (Westward Ho !) at O Connell Bridge was floated.

Some individuals read a bit more into this "suggestion" than it merited.

The problem with the Heuston Station alignment is all too obvious,removing the 92 was precipitate and a rather basic error which is doomed to continue causing problems until somebody directs the Network Direct "Team" to correct it.

Reinstate the 92 as the dedicated Heuston station route operating between UCD Belfield and Heuston Station.

Reinstate the 145 along it's original (and successfully popular) routing to Mountjoy Square or Croke Park !

Do not,as is "suggested" compound the issue by rerouting the 7 route to Heuston Station.

The essential problem appears to be one of Network Direct not fully appreciating the reality of Heuston Station being a somewhat stand-alone destination deserving of a particular type of service and not suited to that provided by the 145 or other "Trunk" routes.

Currently the situation is fraught with uncertainty and that can do nothing to stem the flight of custom from Dublin Bus services generally....THIS needs to be addressed asap !

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Not quite qerty,the original ND "suggestion" for the 11 was the somewhat bizzarre one of Sandyford to Docklands Railway Station.

Somewhat late in proceedings,the total absence of commercial sense in this,along with the unforeseen strength of negative Customer Reaction from existing 11 route customers led to a kind of lacuna in the idea's process.

It was at this point that a "suggestion" of diverting the 11 in the opposite direction (Westward Ho !) at O Connell Bridge was floated.

Some individuals read a bit more into this "suggestion" than it merited.

The problem with the Heuston Station alignment is all too obvious,removing the 92 was precipitate and a rather basic error which is doomed to continue causing problems until somebody directs the Network Direct "Team" to correct it.

Reinstate the 92 as the dedicated Heuston station route operating between UCD Belfield and Heuston Station.

Reinstate the 145 along it's original (and successfully popular) routing to Mountjoy Square or Croke Park !

Do not,as is "suggested" compound the issue by rerouting the 7 route to Heuston Station.

The essential problem appears to be one of Network Direct not fully appreciating the reality of Heuston Station being a somewhat stand-alone destination deserving of a particular type of service and not suited to that provided by the 145 or other "Trunk" routes.

Currently the situation is fraught with uncertainty and that can do nothing to stem the flight of custom from Dublin Bus services generally....THIS needs to be addressed asap !

Hmmmm.......although I agree with you in that the 92 should be restored, why UCD belfield? That section of the city is served by a great number of routes, tow of which have a very high frequency, albeit sometimes unreliable.
    Why not St.vincents? Could help with the problems experience by commuters using the 4/7?

But having said that, what are the chances of the 92 reappearing in any form ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

qerty wrote: »
    Hmmmm.......although I agree with you in that the 92 should be restored, why UCD belfield? That section of the city is served by a great number of routes, tow of which have a very high frequency, albeit sometimes unreliable.
    Why not St.vincents? Could help with the problems experience by commuters using the 4/7?

But having said that, what are the chances of the 92 reappearing in any form ;)

Rte92 well ditto, but its gone for the wrong reasons. It never served UCD but the numbers using the 145 between ucd and Heuston would warrant a service of its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

Rte92 well ditto, but its gone for the wrong reasons. It never served UCD but the numbers using the 145 between ucd and Heuston would warrant a service of its own.

is that not what the 39a is for? (well apart from the very last leg part to heuston but it goes very close)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

thomasj wrote: »
    is that not what the 39a is for? (well apart from the very last leg part to heuston but it goes very close)

Nope Thomasj,that's not what the 39A is for.
    The 39A is yet another major trunk route for the North Western sector of our fair city...it is a mirror image in some ways of the 145.

Attempting to merge the two distinct types of route,as was attempted with the 92 and 145 is akin to mixing oil and water.

If only the Network Direct "Team" could pause and reflect on this,and other elements,of their task we might have less requirement for "Tweaking" after the events....:)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I noticed that Dublin Bus are now on twitter, but it seems that they have not grasped the idea of how this works yet, they seem to be refusing to speak to Dublin Bus users and unwilling to discuss issues as they are trying to take them offline rather than use twitter as what it is actually intended for.

Curiously it appears someone on twitter mentioned the Network Direct managers name, and they were told in no uncertain terms "Appreciate if you would not mention employees' names here. Pls email info@dublinbus.ie & we will reply to you via email"

It would seem that due to the negativity, Dublin Bus would not like people to know who is the person who is calling the shots within Network Direct and are now trying to restrict what people on third party sites, that being the case it would be good for the moderators of this board to make clear what is and is not acceptable on this board, and if Dublin Bus are going to be able to control such content if it is posted here.

I was just conversing with the DB twitter guru. Seems they expect the Ballyfermot area changes to be implemented by the end of May. I'm not sure how reliable that estimate is considering the changes to Finglas west and south never materialised in April. However................

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

backboiler wrote: »

A wee reminder for anyone in this area that this thing is on today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭SparkyTech

Did anyone on here go to the Dundrum roadshow? I missed it

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/Revised-Route-150-/

Revised Route 150
    Friday, May 06, 2011

As part of Network Direct, Dublin Bus is pleased to announce the implementation of a revised route 150 service from Sunday 15th May 2011. This service will provide our customers with increased comfort, reliability and punctuality.

Customers in the Crumlin & South Central City area will benefit from an increase in the number of journeys to the city, in particular those customers in the vicinity of Kildare Road, Clogher Road and The Tenters.

Customers in the Rossmore and Willington areas will continue to benefit from a high frequency peak service operating at 10 minute intervals.

Operating double deck buses at every 10 minutes during peak times, increased capacity on route 150 will ensure that it continues to be a key service in South West Dublin area.

All timetables have been developed with the customer in mind and services will operate with even gaps between departures making it easier to remember the time of your bus and also improving punctuality.

As part of this change, Intermediate Timetables will be introduced on route 150 at Clogher Road. Intermediate timetables have stop-specific departure times making it easier to plan your journey.

Route 121 will be withdrawn as part of this change. Alternative routes for customers in the Cabra / Berekely Road area are as follows: 38, 38a, 38b, 46a, 120 and 122.

Click here for revised route 150 timetable.

The next round of implementation finally gets under way.

The revised routing for the 150 appears to be as follows:

Following existing route 150 from Fleet Street as far as Cork Street, then turning onto Ardee Street and following the existing route 121 as far as the end of Kildare Road and then reverting to the existing route 150 again to Rossmore.

Therefore the Tenters will retain its service (a change from the original plan, following the public consultation).

• Advertisement

ND News wrote:
    This service will provide our customers with increased comfort

how will it accomplish this?

how will it accomplish this?

Conversion to full double-deck operation.

The 150 currently is operated by a mix of single and double decks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

lxflyer wrote: »

Therefore the Tenters will retain its service (a change from the original plan, following the public consultation).

I have been very critical of ND but I will give credit where its due so its nice to see common sense prevailing....

Looks as if the second phase is finally underway.
    Im interested to see the updated information/maps etc. and the frequency of the routes. I wonder what the fate of the 76 will be, I read an article in local newspapers that the residents of Tallaght and Clondalkin reacted badly to the proposals for the 76. reversal?? Also, The 150 has had its weekday frequency increased from 10 minutes peak/20 off peak to 10 minutes peak/15 peak. Shame about the Saturday frequency but beggers cant be choosers! Interesting to say the least.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I see Dublin Bus are now on Facebook also, already they have deleted posts criticizing them and told people to contact them by email, they clearly do not like criticism, but this does not surprise me, as when I stopped using them they didn't want to listen a thing I had to say when I wrote an email telling them why, and told me I was wrong on all counts.

It seems that Dublin Bus sees Facebook and Twitter as a marketing tool where no negativity is allowed, it is a disgrace they are employing such censorship and trying to restrict freedom of speech, a lot of people on here are upset with changes that have happened in recent weeks but Dublin Bus prefers not to tackle them and bury their head in the sand and deny.

I suggest they should never have started using Facebook or Twitter if they can't take criticism, any forward thinking company would listen to what it's customers have to say and use each contact to speak to them, rather than taking every discussion offline, then deleting the post, but it says a lot of why the company is in the problems where it is today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

It's not that they don't want criticism, it's just that they know youre wrong ;-)

The 150 currently is operated by a mix of single and double decks.

double deckers have more comfortable seats?

double deckers have more comfortable seats?

I would think it's fairly obvious that it means more people seated and less standees.

That's a more comfortable way of travel.

I would think it's fairly obvious that it means more people seated and less standees.

That's a more comfortable way of travel.

I dunno, seems a kind of pointless statement from DB, bus seats are all the same across the fleet. Suspension doesn't differ to much. OK so maybe more seats means less standing but single decks are faster, a trade off I'd be happy to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

So, the 121 is history from this weekend? Is that right?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement