Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

thomasj wrote: »
    how about running The 17a from howth junction dart station down the malahide road/n32 to the airport. It would link the blanchardstown/finglas/ballymun/malahide road corridors and provide a dart connection to howth and clontarf via howth junction.

the DART Bus went from Howth Junction to the Airport but went out of business after a short time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭SandyfordGuy

I believe Flybus will start a service from the Finglas and Ballymun area soon.

In addition, I asked a query in relation to network direct on the facebook page of Dublin Bus only to have my post deleted, as other people have pointed out, it seems that Dublin Bus cannot take criticism. They are only leaving general queries up and praise, whilst censoring anyone who dares to criticize them.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

I believe Flybus will start a service from the Finglas and Ballymun area soon.

And they'll accept DB annual tickets, no doubt. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

New to this bus lark as my hours changed in work, havent been on a bus in years until recently.

Anyway, I gather the 121 is gone?
    I live in Cabra and used to get the bus on Dame St (outside Starbucks).
    I know there is still the 122 but whats the story with the 150?
    Does this take over from the 121 and use the same route to Cabra or is there only the 121 and 120 now going to Cabra.
    Thanks
    Sham.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

sham69 wrote: »
    New to this bus lark as my hours changed in work, havent been on a bus in years until recently.

Anyway, I gather the 121 is gone?
    I live in Cabra and used to get the bus on Dame St (outside Starbucks).
    I know there is still the 122 but whats the story with the 150?
    Does this take over from the 121 and use the same route to Cabra or is there only the 121 and 120 now going to Cabra.
    Thanks
    Sham.

The 121 is gone, and replaced by the 150 on the southside only.

The 120 and 122 are the two routes serving Cabra and operate as before, with also the 38/a/b operating along the Cabra Road.

Routes 39/a and 70 serve the Old Cabra Road and Navan Road, while the 46a operates along North Circular Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Many thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

Routes 747 and 748 to be merged next weekend resulting in better service at Heuston Station but less airlinks from O'Connell Street.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

bg07 wrote: »
    Routes 747 and 748 to be merged next weekend resulting in better service at Heuston Station but less airlinks from O'Connell Street.

Link

The new route seems to be a bit around the world, but will probably be handier for tourists going to their hotels. I see it uses the port tunnel all the time now. Is there a bus lane being installed between the East Link and O'Connell bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    The new route seems to be a bit around the world, but will probably be handier for tourists going to their hotels. I see it uses the port tunnel all the time now. Is there a bus lane being installed between the East Link and O'Connell bridge?
    That would be quite handy for a number of bus routes especially national operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

bg07 wrote: »

Link

I wonder why Dublin Bus are cutting back a set of routes which according to the accounts is massively profitable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭SparkyTech

I wonder why Dublin Bus are cutting back a set of routes which according to the accounts is massively profitable.

Still every 15 minutes, to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭qerty

Does it not make sense for there to be one airlink operating from Hueston and serving Busaras? I think it does. And the frequency is still every 15 minutes which is excellent considering Dublin bus is cutting routes that carry far more people

• Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The timetable for the 747 seems hugely over-optimistic.
    40 minutes from O'Connell Street to the Airport, despite a possible 7 pickup stops between O'Connell Street and actually entering the Port Tunnel.

They do acknowledge that at rush hour it may take up to 55 mins, but I'd suspect that 55 minutes will be closer to the norm at all times and 40 minutes rarely achieved.

If the amount of actual buses they put on the route is working on an assumption of 40 minutes then I'd expect to see knock-on effects on the route with people waiting far longer than 15 minutes for the next bus.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The timetable for the 747 seems hugely over-optimistic.
    40 minutes from O'Connell Street to the Airport, despite a possible 7 pickup stops between O'Connell Street and actually entering the Port Tunnel.

They do acknowledge that at rush hour it may take up to 55 mins, but I'd suspect that 55 minutes will be closer to the norm at all times and 40 minutes rarely achieved.

If the amount of actual buses they put on the route is working on an assumption of 40 minutes then I'd expect to see knock-on effects on the route with people waiting far longer than 15 minutes for the next bus.

Something else to consider,anytime there is an event on in the point/O2 the timetable will be effected a great deal as looking at the proposed route I can not see a way to avoid the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The other rather large Bull Elephant sittin in the corner is what happens to this bright new schedule on the rare occasions when the Port Tunnel closes...?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭SandyfordGuy

It does actually serve some places which do not already have a good link to the airport such as the IFSC and the convention centre which are good additions but the existing route 747/8 passengers face a longer journey than previously to allow for this it's still an express bus, but for Dublin Bus to call it direct is wrong as it is not anymore, especially for those coming from bus and rail stations.

Do we know the stops TO the airport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Citygirl1 wrote: »
    Hi - Does anyone have any updates as to when they are going to implement the proposed Ballyfermot changes (78A chaning to route 40)? The last update on Dublin Bus website is dated 21st October 2010!

Same question regarding Ballmun/Clondalkin?

+1

As per the page on the DB site the 13 is to be extended to clondalkin, does anyone know when this is coming in?

They dont seem to update their site much!

The 2nd round of changes started the weekend before last (121 being cancelled and the 150 being rerouted).

I would suspect we will see phased implementation of the other changes over the next couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

The Ballymun/Clondalkin changes were, as far as I was aware, suppose to take place this Sunday. However, due to the disruption with the state visits it has been postponed. They may take place on the 5th of June but I haven't heard that for sure yet.

Most of the changes on the website should be implemented by late July/early August. There are around three-four more areas to be published for review by the customer, which should mean Network Direct be completed by early winter. Rolling reviews of the changes could mean will we see some tweaks over the coming months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭d1975

when do they plan to change the 27 route?

• Advertisement

d1975 wrote: »
    when do they plan to change the 27 route?

As per above - they have to put up the finalised Tallaght plans post-consultation so I would imagine it will be sometime in the next couple of months.

The only areas left to go out to consultation are:

Swords Road QBC
    Rathfarnham QBC (Incl Grange Road)
    Templeogue QBC (Incl Firhouse, Whitechurch, Stocking Lane, Knocklyon, Ballycullen and Templeogue)

Further changes to the nightlink service.
    I'm not familiar with the services being changed so opinion anybody?

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/Nitelink-Changes/

Basically they have restored a nitelink service to Dalkey via the 7N, only missing out the Lower Glenageary Road - but that still has a service at either end so it's not too bad.

Ballinteer and Dundrum have also had a Nitelink service restored - a longer route but a much better frequency than before so I think it's solved most of the issues that were complained about when they made the recent cutbacks to the service.

It does actually serve some places which do not already have a good link to the airport such as the IFSC and the convention centre which are good additions but the existing route 747/8 passengers face a longer journey than previously to allow for this it's still an express bus, but for Dublin Bus to call it direct is wrong as it is not anymore, especially for those coming from bus and rail stations.

Do we know the stops TO the airport?

Full brochure for the 747 is now on the Dublin Bus Website showing stops in both directions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pinkgirldub

lxflyer wrote: »
    Basically they have restored a nitelink service to Dalkey via the 7N, only missing out the Lower Glenageary Road - but that still has a service at either end so it's not too bad.

Ballinteer and Dundrum have also had a Nitelink service restored - a longer route but a much better frequency than before so I think it's solved most of the issues that were complained about when they made the recent cutbacks to the service.

Regards the revised 46N does anyone know the route between Kilgobbing Road to where it reaches Brehon Field Road? I used to get off at the stop in Sandyford Village but in the light of the proposed changes, I am now unsure of where the bus route is going.

As far as I am aware, it will continue straight on from Kilgobbin Road, down the hill to the M50 flyover, left onto the road parallel to the M50 as far as the next roundabout, then under the bridge and left onto Brehon Field Road.

In other words, you will need to get off at the last stop on Kilgobbin Road.

These changes are taking forever. I am beginning to doubt that the current proposals in round 2 will be compete by the end of the year, let alone the changes yet to be realised. They have not even released any further revised proposals, yet as far as I know the Ballyfermot/finglas West changes are due in a month or so. The malahide road details have not even been changed on the network direct page, only in the news feed. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

qerty wrote: »
    These changes are taking forever. I am beginning to doubt that the current proposals in round 2 will be compete by the end of the year, let alone the changes yet to be realised. They have not even released any further revised proposals, yet as far as I know the Ballyfermot/finglas West changes are due in a month or so. The malahide road details have not even been changed on the network direct page, only in the news feed. :/

+1, the whole thing is a joke and stringing it out for so long only further disillusions people. The whole thing should have been done and dusted within 6 months, with a further 6 months of watching it play out and making tweaks.

To date, 13 months, they have only barely finished stage 1 :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The 69 and 68 routes will now be kept as Rathcoole/Newcastle-City Centre services. :)

68 will apparently be going via SCR and Camden Street to the City Centre

69 will be the same with a revised timetable.

Just got the email from DB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

stovelid wrote: »
    68 will apparently be going via SCR and Camden Street to the City Centre

I thought the whole point of Network Direct was to try and straighten out route alignments and keep them as direct as possible? The clue is in the title!

Sounds to me like this will be a replacement for the southern end of the 19 route by running the 68 along Bulfin Road and SCR.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement