Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Ivan Yates be on Newstalk?

• 22-04-2010 8:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

Is it 'ethical' that Ivan Yates is presenting a current affairs show on Newstalk? He's been on all morning about Richie Boucher getting his pension from Bank of Ireland when it's coming (in a roundabout way) from public funds. Yet Ivan Yates is collecting nearly €150k in TD and Ministers pension... How can he be a credible presenter?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whats wrong with Yates getting a TDs/Ministers pension having served for about 20 years? We can argue its too big but thats a seperate matter. I don't recall Yates bankrupting a bank.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Ritchie Boucher did'nt bankrupt a bank did he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Ivan yates was a fine gael man and although i dont support there policies I am not going to turn against him because of this.

I see nothing wrong with him being on the radio and as a presenter I imagine we would have been critical of him if he gave Boucher a free ride so so speak...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

in a direct answer to your question. No ivan yates should not be newstalk because imo he's §hit

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Ritchie Boucher did'nt bankrupt a bank did he?

I exaggerate for effect. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭ofjames

he also runs a business that employs over 300 people in ireland.

give the guy a break.

my only beef with him regarding him getting his dail & ministerial pensions is that he retired from politics in the first place! i'd much rather him to have stayed and became leader of FG.

he is far more convincing and credible than kenny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

His pension is his, fair and square. I like Ivan, he's a canny guy and a good presenter, and agree he'd be a far superior leader than Enda Kenny from a personability point of view at least.

Whether Newstalk is a credible platform at all is another subject, but within that scope Ivan's doing a good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Shayman wrote: »
    Yet Ivan Yates is collecting nearly €150k in TD and Ministers pension... How can he be a credible presenter?

It should be means tested against his wages. Giving him 150k is a waste of money. All ex public servants who are still working should not be given a pension..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Shayman

ofjames wrote: »
    he also runs a business that employs over 300 people in ireland.

give the guy a break.

my only beef with him regarding him getting his dail & ministerial pensions is that he retired from politics in the first place! i'd much rather him to have stayed and became leader of FG.

he is far more convincing and credible than kenny

By that logic, Richie Boucher runs a business employing a lot more!!

The issue is that you can't have a man who is receiving a large whack from the state, for doing nothing, questioning the right of anyone else to receive payment from a state or semi state or, indeed, any company.

The fact that he's a nice man - as one of you said - is irrelevant. Bertie Ahearn is well liked by lots of people. My mother loved Charlie Haughey - still didn't make what he did right. As Yates and his side kick were pointing out to anyone who'd listen, it's a moral issue. He's collecting three pensions - all from the oireachtas, salary from his own business (conveniently in his wife's name now!!) and a salary from Newstalk and one from TV3.... And he questions Richie Boucher's right to collect his contractually agreed pension.

On a side note, he also said that Ryanair should compensate passengers for their losses as well as refunding their fares. Now, if I went into Celtic Bookmakers in, say, Dublin today and backed a horse. The race gets cancelled. Should Celtic Bookies refund me AND pay for my hotel accommodation in Dublin? NO? Well he shouldn't be on the national airwaves telling others they're wrong!!

It should be means tested against his wages. Giving him 150k is a waste of money. All ex public servants who are still working should not be given a pension..

If he must be paid a pension at all then he should get it at the current retirement age. I don't think any of them in the Dail or Seanad should get a pension. They get very well paid when they are in office. They choose to get in there. They should be paid only for their service just like everyone else. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

So it's the system that facilitates such behaviour, and the system that should be changed accordingly. Makes sense to me.

Morality and money don't mix, as Ivan himself has said himself on air many times. The systems need to be in place to regulate this, otherwise people will get all they can.

On a side note, he also said that Ryanair should compensate passengers for their losses as well as refunding their fares.
    I wonder would he be prepared to do something similar if it had been an airline he was running and not a bookies. On a side note, Michael O'Leary has just backed down completely on the News On One. He said he will covers all the costs.
    If he must be paid a pension at all then he should get it at the current retirement age. I don't think any of them in the Dail or Seanad should get a pension. They get very well paid when they are in office.
    Richard Bruton was just on the news as well saying that this practice will be done away with for new TDs.. Should be enforced on current recipients..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The issue is that you can't have a man who is receiving a large whack from the state, for doing nothing, questioning the right of anyone else to receive payment from a state or semi state or, indeed, any company.

"for doing nothing"? He served in the dail from 1981 until 2002 as Minister for Agriculture, Food and Forestry from 1994–1997.

If you listened to the show regularly you would hear that he has been put in the spotlight himself about his state pension and was man enough to talk directly about it.

What do you expect him to do after his political carer, old folks home??

Dyflin wrote: »
    A moderate pension, not something comparable to a Celtic Tiger senior manager's salary. 40k maybe.

Dyflin wrote: »
    "for doing nothing"? He served in the dail from 1981 until 2002 as Minister for Agriculture, Food and Forestry from 1994–1997.

If you listened to the show regularly you would hear that he has been put in the spotlight himself about his state pension and was man enough to talk directly about it.

"for doing nothing" YES!!! For doing nothing related to the Oireachtas. He was paid a more than fair salary for his stint in the Dail. Now he has ate least three other substantial income streams has he not? How much money does he need? Why should we pay for it?

Yes. I do listen to the show regularly and he deserves to be in the spotlight. He's busy slagging off Boucher and others for being greedy when he should be looking in the mirror!!

I don't care what he does after his political career as long as I don't have to pay for it! If you think he's such great value. Pay him yourself but leave us out of it. He's a parasite like all the rest of the mob in the Dail!! He just wants more and more!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

I think political pensions should only be paid on reaching retirement age. I agree the system is just plain wrong, but should this stop Yates from being a presenter on Newstalk - I don't think so.

Shayman what has any of this got to do with radio, you should start a thread in Politics if you want to moan about pensions and perks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

He's not a journalist.
    I'd rather see a professional in the job tbh.
    His pension, like all political pensions in Ireland, is outrageous. But it's not a reason to bar him from working in the private sector.
    His lack of journalistic experience is a reason to question his appointment at Newstalk, however.
    That, and the fact he's not very good.

mike65 wrote: »
    Shayman what has any of this got to do with radio, you should start a thread in Politics if you want to moan about pensions and perks.

It's got everything to do with radio. He's employed on a current affairs show on a Radio station! Now, to carry out his job he has to deal with topics such as people receiving pensions to which entitlement is in question. Now. How can he question such issues when he is also in receipt of a pension to which, I and others would question his entitlement whether ethically or morally. He did bring up the subject of morals himself today when discussing same! Sorry if it offends you Mike. But it is most relevant! You cared enough to comment earlier when you slandered Mr Boucher!!

Cavehill
    I'm not questioning his right to work in the private sector. I'm questioning his ability to be impartial and not be hypocritical when presenting a current affairs show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Total hypocrisy. He has no right to question the morals of anyone elses pension, when he himself is receiving a huge pension, while he is still working. He was amply compensated for his 21 years in the Dail. Pensions are for people who are retired from work. This loudmouth turns my stomach with his populous tub-thumping. He irritated me when he was in the Dail, he irritated me when he was the punters best pal, and he irritates me now as Newstalks rent-a-blowhard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

He has admitted to being a close personal friend of Enda Kenny, they were both young members of the Dáil when first elected.

Yet his interview with him was as insightful and probing an interview as any Kenny has given. Much more impartial that Tubridy, Hook or Sam Smyth. I find him an engaging presenter, hamstrung by the lightweight Claire Byrne.

That said, Aine Lawlor is in my view, the most consummate professional on Irish radio, so Morning Ireland is still the No. 1 choice.

When Aine Lawlor can read a clock face I'll agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I know the time myself Mike, Aíne can get the time, and the website address wrong all she wants, as long as she asks the right questions.

She must have caused a fair few tea cups to get turned over at the table down the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mylesm

Nice to hear an Ex Minister Telling us he downloads all the illegal stuff on his new smart telly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

There's a current Newstalk thread, this is 6 years old. You must be a new enough listener to him though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

He's not a journalist.
    I'd rather see a professional in the job tbh.
    His pension, like all political pensions in Ireland, is outrageous. But it's not a reason to bar him from working in the private sector.
    His lack of journalistic experience is a reason to question his appointment at Newstalk, however.
    That, and the fact he's not very good.

So Colm Parkinson shouldn't be on Off The Ball? If they're good enough...

You have every Tom Dick and Harry with a column in the national papers every other day, so what's different about Ivan Yates on a radio show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

seachto7 wrote: »
    So Colm Parkinson shouldn't be on Off The Ball? If they're good enough...

You have every Tom Dick and Harry with a column in the national papers every other day, so what's different about Ivan Yates on a radio show?

The post you're replying to is from almost 6 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The post you're replying to is from almost 6 years ago.

Outrage doesn't care about time... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mylesm

ThisRegard wrote: »
    There's a current Newstalk thread, this is 6 years old. You must be a new enough listener to him though.

linky

Advertisement