Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

really nervous again

• 22-04-2010 9:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys i've been driving for 8 months now and for a while there i thought i was doing pretty well but recently i feel like i'm getting worse! Does this happen to any of ye - where you think you're doing great - might even be ready for the test and then all of a sudden - BAM! It's like you're back to your first week of learning!

One problem i have is when i am coming to a bend or a corner i'm driving at a speed so obviously have to slow down. There's this one particular road where you would be driving in 5th but when i come to this corner i change down to
    3rd but i either slow down too early (so that i'm going TOO slow) or too late so that i'm going too fast and i have foot still on the clutch as i round the corner ie.i change gears too late (which can't be right:confused:!)

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Also i'm forever hearing on here from someone (can't remember who it is!!) that brakes are to slow gears are to go but when you are coming up a steep hill in like 3rd gear and the lights are red ahead of you and you start slowing then you obviously have to change down to 2nd right (stupid question probably) because you don't have the momentum and the car starts to chug.

Thanks for all your help guys:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

leahyl wrote: »
    One problem i have is when i am coming to a bend or a corner i'm driving at a speed so obviously have to slow down. There's this one particular road where you would be driving in 5th but when i come to this corner i change down to 3rd but i either slow down too early (so that i'm going TOO slow) or too late so that i'm going too fast and i have foot still on the clutch as i round the corner ie.i change gears too late (which can't be right:confused:!)

Maybe try going from 5th to 4th in good time then let the speed drop gradually and then hook it round to 2nd which should be fine for most corners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Hi,

First of all it is not unusual for people to have times when they feel they are not getting any better and in some cases getting worse - sometimes referred to as a 'learning plateau'. The good news is it will pass and even if you dont think you are learning anything, every time you go out the experience will benefit you! Its like any activity or sport etc., somedays you will hit the ball sweetly and othertimes it just feels wrong and awkward. The important point is to keep at it and get out in the car as much as possible (with an accompanying driver of course :))

When slowing down and changing gears it seems like you know what you should do but its just taking a while to master it. The main point of changing down gears is the speed must be reduced first! So, if there is a particular corner or bend that is causing you problems then plan it out: Assume driving along at 60 km/hr in 5th and coming towards the bend. First thing is, start to ease off the accelerator, then apply the brakes smoothly until speed reduced to say 30km/hr and then nice quick gear change to 3rd gear - dont be tempted to change gear until you have reduced the speed. Try and identify reference points along the road at which point you need to begin the braking, complete the gear change etc - obviously you want everything done before you actually get to the corner itself and at that stage be able to drive around the corner in a controlled manner (without brake or clutch). If you are still struggling a little to get nice quick smooth gear changes then plan everything a little early - main objective is to have the braking and gear change COMPLETE before you arrive at the corner and better to be too-early with it than too late. With a bit practice it should get better and you will be able to judge it perfectly.

Final point is when approaching a stop at the top of a hill. There is absolutely no problem with slowing down and using 2nd gear if needed. You dont have to stop in 3rd gear. The main thing is be aware of the road and adjust your driving accordingly, slowing down on an uphill is different from slowing down on the level to slowing down on a downhill. If you are coming uphill to a stop then dont be afraid to give a little more accelerator on approach and leave the braking a little later (better to practice this with an instructor - whatever you do dont overshoot the STOP!!). Likewise for downhill, you will need to start the braking a little earlier to control the speed.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

DriveSkill wrote: »
    Hi,

First of all it is not unusual for people to have times when they feel they are not getting any better and in some cases getting worse - sometimes referred to as a 'learning plateau'. The good news is it will pass and even if you dont think you are learning anything, every time you go out the experience will benefit you! Its like any activity or sport etc., somedays you will hit the ball sweetly and othertimes it just feels wrong and awkward. The important point is to keep at it and get out in the car as much as possible (with an accompanying driver of course :))

When slowing down and changing gears it seems like you know what you should do but its just taking a while to master it. The main point of changing down gears is the speed must be reduced first! So, if there is a particular corner or bend that is causing you problems then plan it out: Assume driving along at 60 km/hr in 5th and coming towards the bend. First thing is, start to ease off the accelerator, then apply the brakes smoothly until speed reduced to say 30km/hr and then nice quick gear change to 3rd gear - dont be tempted to change gear until you have reduced the speed. Try and identify reference points along the road at which point you need to begin the braking, complete the gear change etc - obviously you want everything done before you actually get to the corner itself and at that stage be able to drive around the corner in a controlled manner (without brake or clutch). If you are still struggling a little to get nice quick smooth gear changes then plan everything a little early - main objective is to have the braking and gear change COMPLETE before you arrive at the corner and better to be too-early with it than too late. With a bit practice it should get better and you will be able to judge it perfectly.

Final point is when approaching a stop at the top of a hill. There is absolutely no problem with slowing down and using 2nd gear if needed. You dont have to stop in 3rd gear. The main thing is be aware of the road and adjust your driving accordingly, slowing down on an uphill is different from slowing down on the level to slowing down on a downhill. If you are coming uphill to a stop then dont be afraid to give a little more accelerator on approach and leave the braking a little later (better to practice this with an instructor - whatever you do dont overshoot the STOP!!). Likewise for downhill, you will need to start the braking a little earlier to control the speed.

Good luck with it.

Thank you so much that is excellent advice! As you say i know i should do it but it's actually doing it is the problem! I think too much about it before it happens and then i'm not prepared when it does happen!

Yes of course the most obvious thing when coming up a hill is to change down gears if the lights ahead are red but again i'm thinking about when i''m on the flat in which case i could just stop in 3rd and the car wouldn't shudder/chug!

Thanks again i will keep your advice in mind:)

Advertisement